Inoki.6048

Why isn’t this implemented?

Attachments:

[ToDo] Mesmer portal range?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Technical reasons.

It’s to do with how teleports in general are implemented. Shadow Trap is the same way.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Even if there are technical reasons that prevent the skill from showing a red bar when you are out of range, it would be nice to have Portal Exeunt perform a check as you cast it that you are within range. If you aren’t it just doesn’t cast (preferably with a message of some kind popping up so you know its not just lag/glitching). I know that distance check takes place anyway since it knows that you can’t travel through the portal, just switch up the order so the distance check is done first and it cancels the skill if you are out of range

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

Yeah, guesswork isn’t a great way to implement a skill.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

The ghetto method consits of:

- minimap zoomed in to max
- approximately your current location to one of the edges of the minimap = max portal distance/range
- horizontal only, not sure about height
- bonus brownie points if you mark the minimap before running to that distance else you might over extend

This usually always works for me. Yes it would be nice to have some form of built in QoL feature regarding Mesmer portals. I don’t see how technical limitations get in the way… Oh well.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

I +1’ed the suggestion in the other recent thread about this and I will +1 the suggestion here too.

Red bar on range finder for portals, please!

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

The ghetto method consits of:

- minimap zoomed in to max
- approximately your current location to one of the edges of the minimap = max portal distance/range
- horizontal only, not sure about height
- bonus brownie points if you mark the minimap before running to that distance else you might over extend

This usually always works for me. Yes it would be nice to have some form of built in QoL feature regarding Mesmer portals. I don’t see how technical limitations get in the way… Oh well.

Wouldn’t your method involve a particular sized minimap also? This is not a solution at all.

Skills like portal should have the red bar range indicator or atleast have a check before portal placement of ‘Out of Range’ to not waste the cooldown.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

drunkenpilot.9837

I don’t like the idea of disabling the skill if it’s out of range, though. A lot of times if you’re running through a big area (HoT or a long JP for instance) placing safety portals as you go, you will use [Mimic] before [Portal Exeunt] to reset your out-of-range portal and allow you to immediately [Portal Entre] again.

tl;dr – Don’t disallow placement of out-of-range portals. Do give us a method of determining if our portals are within 5k range.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Knowing the exact range is already possible by using the positional data GW2 provides for mumble. There are already apps/overlays to solve this problem.

Adding a range indicator themselves would probably require a lot of work. They’d have a much easier time not putting the skill on cooldown if its fails the range check, but then they’d need to implement a way to cancel the portal.

drunkenpilot.9837

Adding a range indicator themselves would probably require a lot of work.

There is already a range indicator in the game. See the OP’s post for a screenshot of this. The red bar which appears beneath weapon skills signifies that the current target is out of range of that skill. In OP’s image, you can see this red bar beneath the third weapon skill (shown as F3 in that screenshot) which is denoting that the current target is out of range for this skill. By contrast, F1 for example has no red bar, meaning the current target is within range.

I presume this system could be adapted to the mesmer’s portal skill by taking the location data of the first portal placed ([Portal Entre]) and using that as the range finder’s “target” for the second portal ([Portal Exeunt]). I don’t know how difficult this would be, but adapting an already existing system would probably be easier than trying to code in a brand new one from scratch.

Posted by: Kiza.5630

Kiza.5630

Simple solution: personal map marker on the map could have a range indicator like almost all other objects do. So you can put the marker on your position and can see the range to your exit portal. Also has the advantage that it tells you how far you can still go which the out-of-range indicator doesn’t.

Maybe the fix that requires least effort (=famous last words) and could be useful for other things as it let’s you measure distances on the map more precisely.

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Not played my mesmer lately, but that would be one great reason to un-dust him.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.