Today's delay reminded me of toxic players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Steelpusher.1684

Steelpusher.1684

So I have been on hiatus since the previous balance patch in the game, due to a variety of reasons. These included irl things and having been playing quite a bit beforehand.
I was thinking of getting back into the game with this upcoming patch, but have nastily been reminded of how toxic some of the playerbase is. This is what helped drive me to my haitus to begin with, especially with raid meta bs only.

Anyway, that aside, why are people treating this delay with such hosility? Anet got hit by a snowstorm… be glad their servers didnt go down with it! Also, i can bet you that if you had a snow storm in your area, you would call in for a day off because it stopped you from getting to work! Just gove anet a break-these things happen, so put up with it, dont rant to them for not delivering on time due to unforeseen circumstances.

Keep up the good work, devs! And kudos to you for trying hard to deliver!

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I agree with you. Anet didn’t cause the snow storm, and it’s not fair to be ripping into them for “wasting your time” when you could just as easily play another game or go outside for a day. The game will still exist tomorrow. They will get the patch out in due time. Patience and stuff yo.

Unfortunately this thread is just going to attract the toxic people since the other thread got locked…

Posted by: pyrocyborg.4162

pyrocyborg.4162

Also, i can bet you that if you had a snow storm in your area, you would call in for a day off because it stopped you from getting to work!

Not here in Eastern Canada. There’s a snowstorm pretty much every other day.

But yeah, they got hit hard and there’s nothing they can do about it. The only “legit” thing people might be frustrated about is the lack of communication from ANet. I mean, they probably knew right off the bat that it wouldn’t be delayed only for a few hours and that it would be unrealistic to release it today, but they simply said that it would be delayed. They should have told us that as soon as they could (which probably was 5-6 hours ago).

That’s the exact same lack of communication that they “expressed” during the server rollback a few months ago: a simple message to tell us not to expect it today would have been enough.

Still, I’m not angry, not over that. I had a long day at work and wasn’t even expecting to play today…and it’s not as if it was impossible to play right now. It’s simply a content patch. I don’t even understand why people would be “wasting their time”: they can still play or go do something else.

Well, anyways: Keep up the good work guys and don’t overdo it this night.

(edited by pyrocyborg.4162)

Posted by: ButterPeanut.9746

ButterPeanut.9746

Its the communication people are upset about. In my opinion, they should remove the word “soon” from their vocabulary. Either its ready or its not.

My main question would be, was Monday so important that missing Monday meant missing the release day? Why wasn’t everything done a week+ ago? If it was, would we still be in this situation?

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

It was in the 60s here today so I was not TOO upset. The Simpsons getting pre-empted Sunday was MUCH worse as TV cartoons is #1 on the list on a usual Sunday night.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

People seem hostile because you know, gamers are a pretty irritable bunch in general. It also doesn’t help that the game has been in kind of a slump for veteran players. Not a whole lot of new stuff to explore or chase after.

The promise of a new map, raid wing and potentially the release of legendary armour is all a lot of folks have to look forward to. That content probably determines whether they stick with the game or bugger off and play something else for a while.

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Also, i can bet you that if you had a snow storm in your area, you would call in for a day off because it stopped you from getting to work!

Not here in Eastern Canada. There’s a snowstorm pretty much every other day.

But yeah, they got hit hard and there’s nothing they can do about it. The only “legit” thing people might be frustrated about is the lack of communication from ANet. I mean, they probably knew right off the bat that it wouldn’t be delayed only for a few hours and that it would be unrealistic to release it today, but they simply said that it would be delayed. They should have told us that as soon as they could (which probably was 5-6 hours ago).

That’s the exact same lack of communication that they “expressed” during the server rollback a few months ago: a simple message to tell us not to expect it today would have been enough.

Still, I’m not angry, not over that. I had a long day at work and wasn’t even expecting to play today…and it’s not as if it was impossible to play right now. It’s simply a content patch. I don’t even understand why people would be “wasting their time”: they can still play or go do something else.

Well, anyways: Keep up the good work guys and don’t overdo it this night.

Even Eastern Canada isn’t really immune though. Couple of years ago in Toronto, power was knocked for nearly a week or more and many people were displaced (had to move to friends houses where people had power to avoid freezing). That also had the unfortunate consequence of knocking out a major telecommunications company’s network, which affected many ISPs in the area. It’s not unusual for thunderstorms to knock out power or shut down public transit due to flooding.

kitten happens.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I’ve actually seen quite a lot of people defend anet too, if not more. What I’ve seen in the last few hours actually confirms my belief that Guild Wars 2 has a great community. Sure there are always people who complain, but no community is perfect.

The only issue I had personally was the lack of communication. Luckily O’brein eventually communicated to us where we stand right now and I’m very glad he did.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I feel like a lot of you are misunderstanding why people are upset. It’s not the delay, it’s that people feel a bit strung along with statements like “a little later than usual” and “slight” when others are saying they’ve known it was a real possibility it wouldn’t come out today. That’s why most people are upset.

False hope is worse than just being told “Hey guys it might not make it today but we’re trying.” Either option will induce rage but the latter will fizzle out quickly.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Absolutely agree with the sentiment here. There’s no reason to get up-in-arms about the delay, especially when it’s clear that they are doing their best to get the problems taken care of and the patch shipped to players as soon as possible. This was an incident that was completely out of their control.

And remember: Anet developers love playing this game too, so I guarantee you that a whole bunch of them are at the office right now trying to get this sorted out not just so that we can play the new content, but so they can too.

If any devs are reading this, or anyone else working their butts off at Anet HQ, I’m sorry this happened! And thank you for all the hard work. If nothing else, the toxicity and saltiness from players regarding the unforeseen delay truly shows just how much people love this game world you’ve all created.

Keep up the good work!

Posted by: ATMAvatar.5749

ATMAvatar.5749

Anet didn’t cause the snow storm

Are you sure about that? Anet writers decided that Jormag has become active, and suddenly, we get snowstorms affecting updates.

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

I feel like a lot of you are misunderstanding why people are upset. It’s not the delay, it’s that people feel a bit strung along with statements like “a little later than usual” and “slight” when others are saying they’ve known it was a real possibility it wouldn’t come out today. That’s why most people are upset.

I give zero kittens if ppl think they’ve been strung along. Anet thought they’d get it out. They ultimately decided they couldn’t. They kept updating us as they made progress until they finally called it. Even if it’s a day or two late, that’s still “soon” in my book.

Frankly the amount of entitlement among some people is absolutely insane. At least all these entitled kittens can go rage chat some more in an AB multimap for another day. [/Brightside]

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I give zero kittens if ppl think they’ve been strung along. Anet thought they’d get it out. They ultimately decided they couldn’t. They kept updating us as they made progress until they finally called it. Even if it’s a day or two late, that’s still “soon” in my book.

Frankly the amount of entitlement among some people is absolutely insane. At least all these entitled kittens can go rage chat some more in an AB multimap for another day. [/Brightside]

Ah yes that old yarn. It’s entitled to be upset about anything to some people I guess. Funnily enough it’s the “defenders” that are acting the most childish in their responses and yours is a key example of that.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Ah yes that old yarn. It’s entitled to be upset about anything to some people I guess. Funnily enough it’s the “defenders” that are acting the most childish in their responses and yours is a key example of that.

I don’t think that poster is referring to people upset at what they viewed as poor communication, I think that poster is referring specifically to players in other threads that are literally asking for free gem handouts or BLC keys/weapon skins/etc as compensation for the delay.

Check the Ep4 update thread with the red splash. There are a few of them but there is one specifically that’s really being pushy about it.

I may be wrong, but I think that’s the type of behavior the above posters are referring to.

Posted by: Borne Trickster.8254

Borne Trickster.8254

Seriously. They did what they could and probably thought they could get it released today. Things happen and they couldn’t. There is no reason to act like a spoiled child about it.

Nari, Sylvari Necromancer of [Envy]

Posted by: GameGuard.8610

GameGuard.8610

They worked hard today to please us yes from start they could of said well odds are we cant so let’s give up for the day. Lets go home and tell everyone else not to come to work.
But they didnt they all showed up tried hard worked hard why do this when people trashing them. Becuz mike wanted the player base happy and tried to push out a update today.
So instead of trashing the game staff lets thank them for not giving up even in the worst of times. Becuz we the players matter to them

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

If ppl are upset over something this petty, then it’s right to ridicule them. Time to put the big boy (or girl) pants on.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

False hope is worse than just being told “Hey guys it might not make it today but we’re trying.” Either option will induce rage but the latter will fizzle out quickly.

Silly question: How does one foresee unforeseeable problems?

You’ve got the experts working on fixing things, believing they can pull it off. You have non-experts saying that it won’t happen. Your statements above would imply we should always listen to the non-experts to get the most accurate story, because they somehow knew that unforeseeable issues would arise.

As people have pointed out, kittens happen. Only you can temper your expectations of reality.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: Stephen.1207

Stephen.1207

Still no update I go play R.E.7 wile I wait

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I’d understand if they were like “Hey, next LS story drops tomorrow” then 5 months later all we get after some prodding is a message on a thread on reddit with “soon” as a response, but that’s literally not the case. It just isn’t. Hell if they ultimately dropped the LS update on Friday It’d still be “soon” enough for me. Its free content. So many people need to chill on this one.

I really wonder what the stats are regarding the ages of the people complaining the most right now. I’d wager they might trend in the 20-30 age range.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

No matter what game you’re in there will always be toxic players. Don’t let a drop in the water effect what you like about the game. There’s always more good players than toxic players.

Posted by: Nate.8146

Nate.8146

Even Eastern Canada isn’t really immune though. Couple of years ago in Toronto, power was knocked for nearly a week… It’s not unusual for thunderstorms to knock out power or shut down public transit due to flooding.

Tell me about it. When I lived in TO, it was commonplace for brownouts once or twice a month. And the TTC? Signal failures are a way of life over there. How that city still stands is a testament that Canadians can still savage it out

My main question would be, was Monday so important that missing Monday meant missing the release day? Why wasn’t everything done a week+ ago?

Kind of hard to release/orchestrate an update when you don’t have any power If it lasted long enough, I’m sure most employees would probably have taken the day off since standing around the office doing nothing isn’t going to change much. They may adjust their schedules to come in later tonight, or simply start fresh tomorrow. This isn’t anything new, it does happen. I’ve experienced several such events, so until we have starships with warp drives and androids that strive to become more human, we’ll have to settle with our primitive technologies

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

There’s always more good players than toxic players.

That’s a positive way of looking at it.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Sanus.3502

Sanus.3502

Quite frankly I think Anet has been doing a fantastic job of trying to communicate with its player base. I don’t understand these people that can’t comprehend it taking a few hours to access a situation, figure out what can be reasonably accomplished (without totally burning out the staff), and then come up with some sort of response to the “screaming” masses. Sometimes there are no quick fixes or fast answers. I think Anet has been remarkably open and quick to respond under the circumstances.

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

That’s Anet’s fault!
They spoiled players removing server downtime in update/patch days, so now people take their time off on patch days to play.
So now that the patch is delayed they lost their precious time sitting around playing the game without the patch they expected to have.

If the servers were taken down every time there was a patch people wouldn’t take time off their precious days to play the second it goes live. Then they would be happy that there is a delay so that they can play a bit longer.

/s

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Jormag attacks ANET directly……..that is unexpected.

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Jormag attacks ANET directly……..that is unexpected.

If Jormag can attack Anet at their office, it can attack anywhere!

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

Jormag may have been the one doing the attacking, but I bet it was Caudecus who gave him their address. That dirty snake.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Dear non-developers…

Please take some time out from GW2. Take a deep breath. Maybe play some Overwatch or Mincraft, or Bingo or something. Anet will get the patch out in due time. The end of the world is a long way off. The game will still exist tomorrow and the day after, and the week after, etc. You will have plenty of time to enjoy the patch when it’s ready.

The most common complaint I see is that everyone is upset that they “wasted” their time today waiting and that Anet should have made this announcement 8 hours ago. Seriously how do you know what goes on in the studio? Maybe Anet had no idea 8 hours ago that the delay would be this bad? As someone who is actually familiar with modeling, animating, and the basics of working in a game engine, I can tell you it’s not always that cut and dry. None of us have any idea what the details are because Anet never told us what exactly they had to fix due to the snow storm. Any number of things could have gone wrong causing them to have to revert to an older build that isn’t ready for release yet. Any number of bugs could have been sitting in there waiting to be fixed while the snow storm prevented Anet from working. You just don’t know, and it is VERY difficult to make a clear call on just how long a bug will take to fix until you’ve actually spent time troubleshooting it.

We don’t know what the exact nature of the setback is. All we know is a snow storm caused it. Giving a clear ETA on such issues is never that easy. It’s not fair to attack Anet when they have been working around the clock all day and will continue to work around the clock all night. They didn’t waste your time. You could have spent your time doing whatever you wanted. Anet didn’t force you to stand in Lions Arch all day. That was your choice.

Posted by: Rennka.4273

Rennka.4273

Yeah, the snowstorm was actually pretty bad; it came outta nowhere! I live in the area and my campus lost power and classes were canceled both yesterday and today. I don’t think those toxic players have any idea how much of an inconvenience this snow was. They’re lucky it was just a game patch that was being delayed, not their lives. >_< So kudos indeed to Anet for still working considering I did absolutely nothing for the past two days.

Posted by: Schewe.1673

Schewe.1673

After working in a sales position for several years, I can tell you that this level of entitlement and lack of empathy definitely extends beyond the borders of the internet and online games. It’s to be expected at this point.

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

The game did not become any smaller last evening. My huge to-do-list did not vaporize and all of the content we have still works pretty well. We even have an extra day with the lunar year event.

Keeping up the hype-train for every new patch is part of ANets personal decision of advertising this game. It worked out many times without a problem. This time not. It happens, in every company on the world.

Keep up the good work & good luck on solving your problems. It takes as long as it takes.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

So I have been on hiatus since the previous balance patch in the game, due to a variety of reasons. These included irl things and having been playing quite a bit beforehand.
I was thinking of getting back into the game with this upcoming patch, but have nastily been reminded of how toxic some of the playerbase is. This is what helped drive me to my haitus to begin with, especially with raid meta bs only.

Anyway, that aside, why are people treating this delay with such hosility? Anet got hit by a snowstorm… be glad their servers didnt go down with it! Also, i can bet you that if you had a snow storm in your area, you would call in for a day off because it stopped you from getting to work! Just gove anet a break-these things happen, so put up with it, dont rant to them for not delivering on time due to unforeseen circumstances.

Keep up the good work, devs! And kudos to you for trying hard to deliver!

Well get over it!