Too Much Dismounting

Too Much Dismounting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

Too many things make you dismount. There are a ton of things that cause dismounting that really shouldn’t. Harvesting, looking at the bounty board, talking to NPCs (Even NPCs that immediately start mounted events), using the bank, Etc. This turns the X key into the most pushed thing in the whole desert.

The default behavior right now seems to be IF doing anything THEN dismount. This behavior rapidly turns mounting into the most annoying thing ever as you have to do it CONSTANTLY. Interacting is too frequent and too much a core part of the game to trigger a dismount in all circumstance. There should be things that trigger dismounts AND things that don’t. Things that you do continuously should be in the latter category.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

i totaly agree with this, talking with npc shouldn’t dismount you as you can clearly see that talking with npcs while on mounts is perfectly fine and in no way game breaking.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Mudblup.5467

Mudblup.5467

Yeah I was surprised by how many things dismounted me (bounty board, talking to npcs, etc). I noticed I could threaten the Zaishen Scout and stay mounted, though the animation is me standing on my saddle with my arms sticking out to either side of my character. I think they are working on it but the animation isn’t quite there yet.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Probably to stop every single intractable npc from being hidden behind a wall of giant mounts?

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Probably to stop every single intractable npc from being hidden behind a wall of giant mounts?

Ever seen the face of a Lion’s Arch banker? Me neither.

In the story, when we ride to the front gate, we have a talk with the guard there. As far as I remember, we talk while sitting on our raptor. I was quite surprised that my character dismounted when I started interacting with an NPC outside the story.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Celldrax.2849

Celldrax.2849

Which is understandable.

I mean, just imagine the Lion’s Arch banker…

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Embered.5089

Embered.5089

Well I think that harvesting makes sense to dismount, since you aren’t going to get that sickle into the ground while on top of a raptor >.> but checking out the bounty boards, talking to NPCs, and watching vista videos really oughtn’t dismount you.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Talking to NPC’s or checking out the bounty board should not require a dismount, yes. I hope A.net takes a look at it.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I agree that the dismounting is excessive.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Attachments:

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Bingo. In WoW you occasionally will see 5 Traveler’s Tundra Mammoths stacked on a mailbox. There it’s still possible to interact with the mailbox but it’s annoying. And the people on the mammoths know it’s annoying. Same with npc’s.

In GW2 the dismounting mentioned above I have no problem with. The only thing I would find irritating is getting dismounted too easily by hostile mobs.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

i dunno man I dont feel like this is a problem. Mounting up and dismounting works so smoothly anyways.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Jethro.9376

Jethro.9376

Imagine you had to dismount everytime you’re using the “Treasure Hunter Kit”.

So far i thinks it’s good as it is

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I think being forced to dismount when talking to any and all NPCs is excessive. It doesn’t really prevent visual clutter, either, because if someone really wanted to troll with their mount, all they’d have to do is mount up and not interact with the NPC. But I think that a forced dismount while gathering or picking up objects is just fine.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Forced dismounts do absolutely nothing to prevent some tosser (or ten) AFK-camping their mount on NPCs. I agree that we should not get kicked off our mount for talking to people or looking at the bounty board or similar objects, because it makes no sense and is annoying. Plus, the constant mount/dismount animations contribute to motion sickness for some people due to the flash and the forced zooming.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Or behind a wall of big Charr or Norn

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Sonbac.3064

Sonbac.3064

Here’s my two cents. I am totally, and I mean it, totally against changing that. Dismounting when interracting is a great way to reduce the number of people on a mount. I’d hate to have, like it is said above, a BIG pack of mounts around an npc or, worst, in Lion’s Arch at every possible corner. Really, it would ruin the game far more than dismounting anytime you interract with something. The thing about mounts is that if you can do everything on your mount, why not always be on a mount too ? battling on our mounts, crafting on our mounts… ? And that’s somthing I hate about mounts and why I didn’t want them in the game at first. It’s that as soon as you introduce mounts, you’ll see them everywhere. And to my surprise, I love how Arena Net handled them, and I can say now that I can’t wait to have mounts in game when Path of Fire will be out.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Forced dismounts do absolutely nothing to prevent some tosser (or ten) AFK-camping their mount on NPCs.

No, it would not stop deliberate attempts to hinder access. It does, however, prevent accidental access hindering. I’d bet that there are a lot fewer who want to be annoying than there are people just playing the game.

Plus, the constant mount/dismount animations contribute to motion sickness for some people due to the flash and the forced zooming.

There’s a current thread about the motion sickness issue. While I agree it’s a problem, ANet is looking at the issues and seeing what can be done. I also think “constant” is a bit of an exaggeration.

This behavior rapidly turns mounting into the most annoying thing ever

Dwayna forfend you ever have a real problem, but congratulations on the Hyperbole of the Month award.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Yeah, Frankly I’d rather they make sure that mounts are just flatly disabled in core tyria map cities. The constant visual noise from the mount and dismount on those maps would drive me insane. I also don’t need a bunch of raptor tail in my face at every npc when I’m trying to interact with the npc.

That being said, vistas would look just fine if we stay mounted, unfortunately I think there is an all or nothing aspect to this auto dismount thing, and if so the option then is, make ALL city zones non-mount or keep it the way it is currently.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

No, it would not stop deliberate attempts to hinder access. It does, however, prevent accidental access hindering.

The “interact” hotkey is still available even when someone is standing on an NPC so it’s not really access hindering. It’s annoying, yes, but that hotkey makes it not detrimental like in say WoW.

As a compromise, maybe mounts could be disabled in cities. That’d prevent the Pact Commander speed boost from becoming pretty much useless, too.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Seed.5467

Seed.5467

Its perfect as it is. No need to clutter the screen on NPCS with other players mounts in front of it.

Regards

Seed

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

People claiming it would block NPC’s. Have you met Living Story NPC’s this season whenever an episode comes out? The same thing already happens. It evens out over time.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

I’d be more than happy if they allowed mounts to remain active for talking with NPCs, repair stations and things like bounty boards.

If visual clutter at say; banks is an issue. They could simply make it a “No Mount Zone”
How problematic is that?

Besides, it only unmounts you on interact. You can still mount up again immediately after regardless of dialog boxes and other UI elements going on, so it can somewhat defeat the purpose.

Currently however, you get dismounted more often than hearing “more violets, less violence” in this short demo.

An alternative solution is simply remounting after interaction has been had.

Duty is heavier than death.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: TheToxicFox.8710

TheToxicFox.8710

He’s Right You Know

He definitely is right. I didn’t find it too annoying. At some point it did get really repetitive though. I would support the change however.

What really bugged me was when I would get pulled off my mount from mobs really easily. I think a break bar for our mounts would be great, one that doesn’t regenerate until it’s been broken so it takes multiple cc’s to knock us off our mounts. This change would be a win win because it would also teach people how break bars work.

Attachments:

(edited by TheToxicFox.8710)

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Are you saying there’s actually an NPC standing in the playable area, and we’re not actually interacting with a porthole in the side of the bank to access our stuff (Presumably with a teller behind it, or that’s what I always assumed)

As far as “Break bars” on mounts – our mounts can take ~7k damage before you’re knocked off them.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: TheToxicFox.8710

TheToxicFox.8710

Are you saying there’s actually an NPC standing in the playable area, and we’re not actually interacting with a porthole in the side of the bank to access our stuff (Presumably with a teller behind it, or that’s what I always assumed)

As far as “Break bars” on mounts – our mounts can take ~7k damage before you’re knocked off them.

I’ve been knocked off well before the 7k health pool disappeared.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Last Warrior Lord.7248

Last Warrior Lord.7248

Good point. The dismount while interacting npc and boards helps with the clutter. Everything around the mounting system is perfect! Don’t change anything Anet.

Too Much Dismounting

Last Warrior Lord.7248

He’s Right You Know

He definitely is right. I didn’t find it too annoying. At some point it did get really repetitive though. I would support the change however.

What really bugged me was when I would get pulled off my mount from mobs really easily. I think a break bar for our mounts would be great, one that doesn’t regenerate until it’s been broken so it takes multiple cc’s to knock us off our mounts. This change would be a win win because it would also teach people how break bars work.

The small break bar is actually not a bad suggestion. I support this!

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Hiwi Kiwi.7386

Hiwi Kiwi.7386

Being honest here (and I am sure others may agree or disagree), it almost makes me not want to ride mounts at all. Shocking, right? Really an annoyance, in the end.. Not concerned with the whole ‘NPC’ clutter, as I have played games that had mounts with no issue. Also, GW2 has this wondrous mechanic where you can hit ‘F’ on NPCs, you don’t need to see them. Personal thoughts, though.

" ’Cause in the end, all you really have are memories. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too Much Dismounting

Last Warrior Lord.7248

Being honest here (and I am sure others may agree or disagree), it almost makes me not want to ride mounts at all. Shocking, right? Really an annoyance, in the end.. Not concerned with the whole ‘NPC’ clutter, as I have played games that had mounts with no issue. Also, GW2 has this wondrous mechanic where you can hit ‘F’ on NPCs, you don’t need to see them. Personal thoughts, though.

This is beta. We are limited. Chill and enjoy the free demo.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: octagon.6504

octagon.6504

It does feel strange to get dismounted so often compared to other MMO’s I play.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’m glad for the forced dismounts when talking to NPC’s. In fact, I hope mounts will be disabled in cities.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: XDeathShadowX.2619

XDeathShadowX.2619

I agree with the theme of the post. It seems unnecessary for you to be dismounted at almost every interaction.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

I think A-Net was aiming for a low-effort (not a criticsm) way of controlling clutter.

I think the idea is good, but it could use a bit more refinement. Interacting with NPCs city instances should definitely cause a dismount at least.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

YOu mean like how they disappear behind kitten norn or charr characters?

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Hawkfeather.2071

Hawkfeather.2071

I can see dismounting for some stuff, but yeah, it does feel a little excessive.

A bit more annoying issue I just discovered though- dismounting also moves you forward slightly. I just fell to my death attempting to interact with some bleached bones. Interacting automatically dismounted me, dismounting moved me forward, and then I was no longer standing on flat ground, but a slope, and immediately slid right off to my doom.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

It is like you are being taught the opposite of what to do. For example, one of the heart actions is to start fighting while mounted. A pretty pointless action since to get the heart action you dismount yourself. In that case it is more of a strange heart action though as you want to dismount during a fight.

Too Much Dismounting

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

YOu mean like how they disappear behind kitten norn or charr characters?

You might be on to something here…

Disable Charr and Norn!