Too many specialization icons?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lolitsage.2185

lolitsage.2185

Hey guys,
So I was just wondering what the general consensus was around here for the amount of class icons we currently have in the beta.
I understand a new one for Revenant because it is a new class, but releasing 8 more for each class is somewhat overwhelming and unnecessary considering they are only new specialization, is it really necessary?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, it’s a way for others to see if that character has the Elite Specialization available, or not. I’m sure that’s important for some.

I don’t see any downside to the new icons. We had to learn the first 8 at core launch, I’m sure we can learn 10 this time around.

Posted by: Riranor.6315

Riranor.6315

Lets say you do a raid and need a healer. ranger joins, chains they’re druid. raid starts and they aren’t. that’s a problem. add new druid icon, tells you they are druids and icon agrees. no problems, raid runs fine,because they couldnt lie.

Crystal Desert Server, one of each classes at 80
Main Mesmer PVE, Necro and Engineer PVP

Posted by: Lucretia.8507

Lucretia.8507

What happens when/if they add more specializations in the future? I’m hoping it’s just a beta thing.

Turnip ~ altaholic
[PVP] Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

Well, it’s a way for others to see if that character has the Elite Specialization available, or not. I’m sure that’s important for some.

I don’t see any downside to the new icons. We had to learn the first 8 at core launch, I’m sure we can learn 10 this time around.

And what will you do when there will be 3 specializations per class? Remember the 36 icons ? xD

Posted by: lolitsage.2185

lolitsage.2185

Lets say you do a raid and need a healer. ranger joins, chains they’re druid. raid starts and they aren’t. that’s a problem. add new druid icon, tells you they are druids and icon agrees. no problems, raid runs fine,because they couldnt lie.

I’d assume that would be easily identified if they had a staff equiped or not.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Indeed.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

They might go with the system that you have two icons. First one shows your core profession, and the second one choose what elite specialization you got equipped.

I can imagine this later down the line when they add more elite specializations.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Elite specialization is essentially a sub-class/profession and some will play very differently than their base profession so the new icons are warranted for PvP/WvW.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Hey guys,
So I was just wondering what the general consensus was around here for the amount of class icons we currently have in the beta.
I understand a new one for Revenant because it is a new class, but releasing 8 more for each class is somewhat overwhelming and unnecessary considering they are only new specialization, is it really necessary?

It takes a bit of time to get used to but that’s just how it is going to be, one thing they could have probably done though is use 2 icons, as example a Reaper would have the original Necro skull and the Reaper hood icon, that way the class maybe easier to recognize for some people, I think down the road as someone already mentioned when there is like 18+ elite specs then this method maybe the way to go.

(edited by Vavume.8065)

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

Here’s my suggestion: Just color code the icons.

Each base class already has a color, as shown in the PvP stat pie chart.

All Guard specializations are blue icons, all Mesmer specializations are magenta, all engie specs are yellow, all necros dark green, etc. The key here is that each set has the exact same color/shade.

Then that makes it very easy to group them and you can still identify an elite spec on sight.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Here’s my suggestion: Just color code the icons.

Each base class already has a color, as shown in the PvP stat pie chart.

All Guard specializations are blue icons, all Mesmer specializations are magenta, all engie specs are yellow, all necros dark green, etc. The key here is that each set has the exact same color/shade.

Then that makes it very easy to group them and you can still identify an elite spec on sight.

This idea really resonated with me. I like it. We have color coding for all the classes, let’s make use of that.

Posted by: jblade.6470

jblade.6470

Personally, I like that they added new icons. It makes it feel more like a true evolution of the class. Like you’re no longer a ranger. You’re a druid for example. Makes sense then not to still have the ranger icon.

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Is there a reference chart somewhere?

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

MainClass>Spec

That’s all you gotta do. Necro icon with reaper hood next to it and a dividing icon. Wouldn’t take up too much space on the portrait.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I really don’t understand why the Elites need their own class icon. They’re not class in and of themselves. If someone saw my Daredevil coming and acted in accordance with what they expect a Daredevil to do they wouldn’t be disappointed because the only reason I’ll be running Daredevil on my Thief is for the traits, I have no interest in any of the skills, nor the staff.

As such it’s disingenuous to display him as a Daredevil. Yes, he’ll have the extra dodge, and his dodge will have an added effect, but that’s it.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

I want to know what I need to watch out for, new icons are how you do that.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

I think it is their way of pretending they did more then they really did. Or a marketing thing. Hey look new icons! New classes!

But maybe I’m am just overly cynical. They serve no purpose. Well that outside of calling attention to the fact that there is something new. So marketing.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

(edited by Wryscher.1432)

Posted by: Chrury.4627

Chrury.4627

I brought this up in a thread I made yesterday. Having unique icons seems like it would be a disadvantage in high level PvP. If you’re using an elite spec, your opponent can see it and thus know what roughly a third of your build looks like.

I know if I’m on my Ranger and I see a Reaper; I’ll be running away and making myself useful somewhere else thankyouverymuch.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

I think it’s ridiculous to want us to remember that many icons now, most of the time I ran into a new spec I couldn’t tell what it was until they got closer and started fighting.

They could have just used the old class symbols and either put them in a different color when someone is using the new spec, or something else to highlight the icon, put an extra ring around it or something. It’s not a completely new class, players will still be using the old skills mixed in.

“It’s too confusing.”

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

(edited by Xenesis.6389)

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

I dont really mind the new icons. I’m just gunna have to get used to them and try to remember what is what. This may suck though cause my memory is subpar.

Certified Gameaholic