Too much focus on Mini-games

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

Why so much focus on minigames? My problem with minigames are:

• They’re not so mini anymore. They’re taking the spotlight AND entire maps just for them.
  • They are taking resources that could go into the ACTUAL game. And that’s a fact either you like minigames or not. While working on these “not so mini” games , the rest of the actual game seems mostly neglected, especially the open world.

I mean I do have fun with the occasional jumping puzzle and maybe dabbling into a simple mini-game here and there, but why the hell an entire update has to revolve around a supposedly “mini” game? If this is a trend now, where is it gonna end then? I mean look at Super Adventure Box and this update. Isn’t this game supposed to be about dynamic events, living world, WvW and sPvP?

Just think how more alive some zones in the world would look like if instead of minigames we were getting more permanent open world Dynamic Events. Or if instead making a whole “racing” map devs were making a another sPvP map. On this update alone we could have 2 sPvP maps instead of 1sPvP map and a “racing circuit”

MMOs already have content and development time spread all over the place, please don’t spread developing time on YET another “game” modality, especially one that has absolutely nothing to do with combat skills, classes and builds. If you HAVE to do it, please keep it extremely simple and don’t waste developing time and resources on them.

For instance, you have a wonderful open world and DEs were a great idea and they are one of the things that makes GW2 stand out. Please just use them more often. Don’t get lost on side projects.

Don’t you think there are enough minigames already? Give us GAME.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

(edited by Harbard.5738)

Posted by: DaG.5103

DaG.5103

• They’re usually not fun.

Interesting fact. Given that is the case, I wonder what sensation I was experiencing while playing Dragon Ball and Crab Toss? Had I known they were actually NOT Fun™, perhaps I would have spent my time doing something Fun™, such as CoF p1 speed runs.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

DaG makes a good point. Mini-games and temporary content can be a whole lot of fun. My problem with it is that they are a diversion from the living world and often simply empty the living world for a couple weeks. I would like them to focus the fun in the living world and enrich the day-to-day game experience there. No question though that Anet delivers polished fun diversions and there is no harm in a mini-game here and there—they’re fun.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Imho Minigames are among my favourite things to do in GW2. Belcher’s Bluff for 100g… I’m paying that.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

We just miss the ‘gamer’ title from gw1…

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Well, that’s just, like, you’re opinion man.

I personally don’t mind minigames. I enjoy them and move on when I’m bored.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

That’s pretty much what I’ve been saying in other threads as well. The new content feels a little too shallow. Sure, some of those mini games are great fun, but GW2 is still supposed to be an MMORPG and not an arcade game, at least that was my expectation. Longer and more immersive quest lines would be much appreciated. These could be designed to be more challenging than former Living Story missions (not talking about dungeons here!).

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

There are only 2 permanent minigames. We were promised one in each city at launch which never panned out (and Bar Brawl has been in the achievement panel since – still no sign of a planned launch for the actual minigame).

I’d be happy with more, especially if they were tied into their own leaderboards and prizes (like we were also promised before launch).

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“They’re taking the spotlight "

Have you seen the recent clamor on here begging, shouting, screaming, and downright demanding more mini games?

“They are taking resources that could go into the ACTUAL game. And that’s a fact either you like minigames or not. While mini games crop up left and right, the rest of the game is mostly neglected, especially the open world.”

Really now, its a fact? Did you look at the skill tweaks (even if its just text tweaks, its still non-minigame work). How about the polish? How about the whole rest of the kitten zone introduced for this living story update? You know for a fact that all 4 living world teams, AND the other ‘larger content development’ teams devoted all their time to just this minigame, therefore taking away from their work on other content?

“They’re usually not fun.”

For you. Many, MANY others find them great, and have screamed for them. Personally, I enjoyed dragon ball, and I know the people that loved GW1 rollerbeetle tend to really like sprint.

“Even if they were polished and fun, this is not the game I paid for. I want a “different MMO” not a a lame attempt at other simple gaming genres”

We don’t always get what we ‘expect’ when we buy a game. I’ve made many game purchases where I thought I’d like it, but it turned out that I didn’t and simply set it aside. Its a risk you take with well…pretty much every purchase in life. Anet has said that they have a plan/map for GW2 and that they are going to follow it. I guess you can either accept that, or look for something more to your taste. Perhaps that’s callous, but that’s life. You aren’t the developer, you either accept it or move on.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Veydar.5017

Really now, its a fact? Did you look at the skill tweaks (even if its just text tweaks, its still non-minigame work). How about the polish? How about the whole rest of the kitten zone introduced for this living story update? You know for a fact that all 4 living world teams, AND the other ‘larger content development’ teams devoted all their time to just this minigame, therefore taking away from their work on other content?

Polish and skill tweaks are exactly that. Polish and tweaks. You can’t expect us to be content with such “advancements” while major issues remain unresolved for months. The zone that was introduced is visually appealing but so far it’s pretty much a wrapper for a jp and a mini game. What the rest of the devs are up to I don’t know but judging from the SOTG it hasn’t been much.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Polish and skill tweaks are exactly that. Polish and tweaks. You can’t expect us to be content with such “advancements” while major issues remain unresolved for months. The zone that was introduced is visually appealing but so far it’s pretty much a wrapper for a jp and a mini game. What the rest of the devs are up to I don’t know but judging from the SOTG it hasn’t been much.

The point still stands that is non-minigame work. His argument is that they are devoting all their resources to minigames, when that is in fact not the case. Colin has stated that they have 4 living story teams, as well as additional larger teams for larger development projects. He has stated that things like LFG, loot overhaul, and even dungeons overhauls are coming. Heck, the loot overhaul was mentioned previously to be slated for end of summer release. HOW is that devoting ‘all their resources’ to mini games? Just because you don’t see it ‘right now’ doesn’t mean they aren’t working on anything else.

I really have to chuckle when people throw out there the ‘well anet must not care about their game, considering the state its in’ comments. Development takes time. Balancing, debugging, polishing takes time. In addition to all this, the locusts are screaming GIMME GIMME GIMME OR IM LEAVING! SO they have to address that at the same time. Patience is a virtue that the majority of people around here obviously don’t have.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Why so much focus on minigames? My problem with minigames are:

• They’re not so mini anymore. They’re taking the spotlight AND entire maps just for them.

Mini-games have always taken entire maps since the very beginning. There was Reaper’s Rumble, Snowball Fights, Inquisition, Dragon Ball, Crab Toss. Each has it’s own instanced map.

Sure the Sanctum Sprint is larger than those, but it’s also a giant race. A small race would be bad.

• They are taking resources that could go into the ACTUAL game. And that’s a fact either you like minigames or not. While mini games crop up left and right, the rest of the game is mostly neglected, especially the open world.

Most of the models in Sanctum Sprint are used in the Zephrum and Cliffs area, so that was an easy transition. And, it uses the same mechanics as those with the addition of a few more (traps). Overall, it’s not that much extra effort to make it in addition to the main show.

This goes same for the Belcher’s Bluff, which is using an already existing mechanic from the Whispers story line. All they did was add a few NPC’s to the game, some lines of dialog, achievement points, and make the mechanic permanent. Bam!

Oh, and other aspects of the game are NOT being neglected. They added a whole reward system for Achievements, added new WvW Mastery types, added a new sPvP map, quite a few balance changes, and even dungeon tweaks (to close exploits). All in this same patch.

• They’re usually clunky and have rough edges.

Sanctum Sprint is very polished and not rough at all. The only issue I’ve had was a few times that the #3 lightning aspect wouldn’t flip to trigger when standing on a pad near a retrieving spire. That’s it. The rest of the time, it’s a smooth, fun thing to do that I wish was in more (it’s a throwback to Mario Cart!).

<See above where I say it is fun.>

But, that’s a matter of opinion for YOU. My guild has a blast in these mini-games. Everyone loved Dragon Ball, but only the AFK players ticked us off (a community fault, not the game). I enjoy the mini-games, which are fun, and am only eagerly awaiting the return of Reaper’s Rumble in a couple months when Halloween happens again.

• Even if they were polished and fun, this is not the game I paid for. I want a “different MMO” not a a lame attempt at other simple gaming genres

If you want a different game, by all means GO PLAY A DIFFERENT GAME! That’s not being rude, that’s just going exactly by your own words. You paid for Guild Wars 2 of what launched with the box (1-80, personal story, WvW, sPvP, and Zhaitan). These Living Story updates are FREE CONTENT made by the developers for the enjoyment of the player base. You don’t pay for them, you’re not making them, so you have no say for them to stop or not.

*On an added personal note: I love that they try to incorporate non-combat patches every so often beyond just these combat-heavy ones. S.P.o.T. was all-combat about defeating Aetherblades, same with Dragon Bash on it’s defeating the minion holograms (and even Dragon Ball was an all combat mini-game). Bazaar of the Four Winds is not about combat in the least, it would seem, as instead players are finding cargo drops (without mobs in them…yay!), crystal hunting, finding kites in the world, racing each other, watching a pompous Quaggan breath fire, trading old crafting mat stockpiles, and just generally having a good time. There is some combat stuff such as the Artifact mobs, but that’s optionally random.

Veydar.5017

I’m sure he didn’t mean that they’re literally all working on mini-game content. But since we all know that development takes time, why not devote more resources to core game development? Why go for a crazy two week release schedule, which takes even more manpower to realize, when the core game – an RPG – is lacking so far behind.
No one is screaming gimme gimme, we’re rather asking for less but well thought out content. I can’t recall anyone asking for the current release schedule. I love jumping puzzles and some mini games are entertaining but please make Guild Wars the highest priority. We’re just not seeing enough quality content in that department.

Posted by: DaG.5103

DaG.5103

The point still stands that is non-minigame work. His argument is that they are devoting all their resources to minigames, when that is in fact not the case. Colin has stated that they have 4 living story teams, as well as additional larger teams for larger development projects. He has stated that things like LFG, loot overhaul, and even dungeons overhauls are coming. Heck, the loot overhaul was mentioned previously to be slated for end of summer release. HOW is that devoting ‘all their resources’ to mini games? Just because you don’t see it ‘right now’ doesn’t mean they aren’t working on anything else.

I really have to chuckle when people throw out there the ‘well anet must not care about their game, considering the state its in’ comments. Development takes time. Balancing, debugging, polishing takes time. In addition to all this, the locusts are screaming GIMME GIMME GIMME OR IM LEAVING! SO they have to address that at the same time. Patience is a virtue that the majority of people around here obviously don’t have.

This is very true.

Also, keep in mind that most of the Belcher’s Bluff code was already written (which many have experienced through the Order of Whispers personal story). The GW2 team has been trying something new and different with Living Story, and rather than kneejerk and immediately remove it after some players complain, they make the CORRECT CHOICE and continue to tweak until it works. With each new update we’ve seen tweaks towards the general will of the players. Look at the difference between obtaining Fused Tickets and Zephyr gear – they have moved from pure RNG to a hybrid of RNG and Work/Reward systems. Players want more permanent content, so they’ve announced that future updates will include such things. But in a game with so many players, you can’t just make quick kneejerk changes. Things take time to settle in, and I imagine that in the next 6 months you will begin to see more update content that you (and others) are looking for. You will also continue to see content like what has worked so far, so expect more mini games, jumping puzzles, and the like. You can’t please everyone – all you can do is try to please as many types of players as possible.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Of COURSE NOT! Anet promised us mini games at release. Finishing the permanent mini games needs to be done to make the other cities feel more alive.

Posted by: Gadzooks.4687

Gadzooks.4687

Mmorpgs NEED minigames and numerous other activities for people who are “living” in the virtual world.

Mmorpgs need permanent consistant real content as well, and this is where GW2 is lacking. Its not that GW2 needs fewer mini games, its that GW2 needs more, permanent REAL content as well.

Harbard.5738

Clarifying:

I don’t have a problem with actual MINI games like the drinking one, I kinda liked it, I liked when I played it in the whispers mission. I’m sure actual MINI games don’t take significant time to make and add a little welcome extra. As i said in the opening post. I find them actually fun.

My problem is that it doesn’t make sense that significant chunks of content actually boils down to gameplay that is completely unrelated to skills, combat and builds as I also said in the first post.

In an attempt to focus this discussion, i’ve taken down my opinion about the fun/polish factor and left only the thing that matters most to me when it comes to minigames.

__
On a side note:

It really bothers me that people read half of it and then assume a lot. I’m not a “content locust”, I never liked those types. I just want to play an MMO not an arcade game collection. I suppose that’s fairly reasonable people expect to play with their combat skills in a game that’s about combat skills? Or is that also being “entitled” too?

And It’s just sad how people read a “comeback” in some flame thread and start blurting it out on every post thinking they’re the kitten. At least be original. Apparently the “current standard answer meta” is hovering around the “I don’t agree, so you’re entitled” or “this is not a fact it’s opinion”. Well, congratulations, you finally found out this is an opinion thread, even if the fact it starts with “My problem with minigames are:” isn’t enough of a clue.

C’mon guys.

Harbard.5738

Mmorpgs NEED minigames and numerous other activities for people who are “living” in the virtual world.

Mmorpgs need permanent consistant real content as well, and this is where GW2 is lacking. Its not that GW2 needs fewer mini games, its that GW2 needs more, permanent REAL content as well.

Well you said it yourself “real permanent content is lacking”. Is that really the time to roll out minigames? Especially when they’re not so mini anymore? Resources are finite you know. They don’t have a magic factory up there.

Posted by: Gadzooks.4687

Gadzooks.4687

Well you said it yourself “real permanent content is lacking”. Is that really the time to roll out minigames? Especially when they’re not so mini anymore? Resources are finite you know. They don’t have a magic factory up there.

Im saying Mmorpgs need BOTH.

Most older mmorpgs seriously lack in the “other/minigame” category when it comes to content. GW2 seems to be one of the first mmorpgs to really put more focus on “other” content. We shouldnt ask them to stop doing this or to reduce it by any means. We need to be asking them to continue what they are doing but ALSO start adding more content of other types as well.

Developers shouldnt have to sacrifice one thing, in order to put time into another. Anet is a big enough company that they should have teams working on BOTH equally. Do they though? Thats the question. 10+ months would make many feel they dont. Perhaps its just a business decision as they tried to figure out if real content updates would be part of a DLC or expansion, rather than a content patch.

Recent comments from the devs have shined a bit of light on the situation though. They said they recently created like 4 teams to work on ALL types of content, and that each would work towards releasing content every 2 months, staggered apart from the other groups by 2 week periods. This means new content every 2 weeks. Lets just hope that 3 or more of the group isnt just focusing on mini game stuff. IMO, a wise choice with 4 teams is to have 1 for WvW, 1 for sPvP, 1 for normal PvE content, and the last for Mini game type content. That way each element of the game would see updates every 2 months at the max.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m sure he didn’t mean that they’re literally all working on mini-game content. But since we all know that development takes time, why not devote more resources to core game development? Why go for a crazy two week release schedule, which takes even more manpower to realize, when the core game – an RPG – is lacking so far behind.
No one is screaming gimme gimme, we’re rather asking for less but well thought out content. I can’t recall anyone asking for the current release schedule. I love jumping puzzles and some mini games are entertaining but please make Guild Wars the highest priority. We’re just not seeing enough quality content in that department.

First, that is not how it is implied. Whether he intended it to come across as such or not. I do not see how letting a team opt to make a minigam (which people are clamoring for, and since the announcement of dragon bash some even asked for specifically) is taking away from resources ‘for the rest of the world.’ This is part of the living story, and was probably done by the team that did the story. Perhaps they needed a little help from outside developers, but from the way its sounds on how they pass things back and forth, I don’t think so.

There is nothing saying they arent devoting resources to the core game. Perhaps they have a lot of people on it, and adding more would be cumbersome/not helpful. Development teams can only be so big before the additional team members are more hindrance than help.

No one in this thread is screaming gimme gimme, but have you read the rest of the forum threads? The demands and self entitlement are rampant on here.

Colin has stated that the core game IS their priority. Check the recent news and even forum posts from him. However, they can work on the core game while still doing the living story, the mini games, etc. That is a beautiful thing about teams, about agile type development in general. I think the biggest issue is that we just aren’t seeing it, and lack of patience makes us feel like they aren’t doing anything, when that isnt the case at all.

Edit: @Harbard.5738 I wasn’t calling anyone specifically a locust in my post. I was simply stating that there are those types of people (that just consume the content as fast as possible) that just always demand more here on the forums. There is no way to keep up with people like that. It’s just not possible for any development team to provide content ‘on demand’ like that. Even living story gets decent development cycle time long before it’s getting pushed to us, and Colin has stated that with 4 teams, they will get even more time now.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Puddles.6385

Puddles.6385

tl;dr:

I don’t like certain game types, so ANet should stop working on those and focus instead on what I want.

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

Mini games are okay, if the rest of the game is also getting new permanent content. The thing is , it isn`t. What bothers me also is all the temporary content, and the living story.
For many players, the most important content is MMORPG based gaming content, not mini-games. Mini games are fluff, distractions, not THE GAME. If I wanted to play mini-games, I would play on social media.

So, if we are going to get more of this type of content in future , we MUST also get permanent MMORPG game content as well. If we don’t, we will end up with a chat room full of mini games.

I love the Guild Wars 2 world, it just seems to be going in the wrong direction.

Veydar.5017

Mini games are okay, if the rest of the game is also getting new permanent content. The thing is , it isn`t. What bothers me also is all the temporary content, and the living story.
For many players, the most important content is MMORPG based gaming content, not mini-games. Mini games are fluff, distractions, not THE GAME. If I wanted to play mini-games, I would play on social media.

So, if we are going to get more of this type of content in future , we MUST also get permanent MMORPG game content as well. If we don’t, we will end up with a chat room full of mini games.

I love the Guild Wars 2 world, it just seems to be going in the wrong direction.

I am beginning to realize that this is not what most players want. GW2 isn’t really seen as an MMO RPG anymore but just as an MMO game. Be it fluffy Kirby jumping, arcade games, serious esports or storytelling there’s no real priority. It’s pretty much a big bowl of activites and everyone can reach in and grab some stuff. I could imagine that a lot of players like that, the RPGers probably not so much.

Diva.4706

I am beginning to realize that this is not what most players want. GW2 isn’t really seen as an MMO RPG anymore but just as an MMO game. Be it fluffy Kirby jumping, arcade games, serious esports or storytelling there’s no real priority. It’s pretty much a big bowl of activites and everyone can reach in and grab some stuff. I could imagine that a lot of players like that, the RPGers probably not so much.

Yeah, the worst thing to happen to MMORPGs, is they became mass-market. Even Arenanet states they are aiming for a television episodic style entertainment format. What about game play depth, character build customization, good group content, trade skills that really matter, rare items you could work/quest for (not RNG).

I guess I will always be old-school, in a modern game…

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

Interesting fact. Given that is the case, I wonder what sensation I was experiencing while playing Dragon Ball and Crab Toss? Had I known they were actually NOT Fun™, perhaps I would have spent my time doing something Fun™, such as CoF p1 speed runs.

This is something so true. I had so much fun playing all mini games introduced by Anet, for a short time because i have a bad habit to overkitten and play it until i hate it, I even had fun while losing. Implementing new and fresh mini games is a great way to keep people online. You cant imagine how happy i was to defeat that kitten Norn in Belcher’s Bluff.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

They are taking resources that could go into the ACTUAL game.

What is the actual game exactly?

More of the same dynamic events? More of the same dungeons? More of the same PvE/PvP maps?

These Living Story updates ARE the actual game.

Harbard.5738

Yeah, the worst thing to happen to MMORPGs, is they became mass-market. Even Arenanet states they are aiming for a television episodic style entertainment format. What about game play depth, character build customization, good group content, trade skills that really matter, rare items you could work/quest for (not RNG).

I guess I will always be old-school, in a modern game…

It’s not oldschool to want meaningful games.

(edited by Harbard.5738)

Harbard.5738

They are taking resources that could go into the ACTUAL game.

What is the actual game exactly?

More of the same dynamic events? More of the same dungeons? More of the same PvE/PvP maps?

These Living Story updates ARE the actual game.

Well if this thread so far is representative at all of what people like in gw2, then the future of the game is depressing.

Posted by: talkingun.9627

talkingun.9627

I spent most of the day falling out of the sky, that is entertaining. Watching the vendors tell us don’t mess with the book and summon a boss in the middle of market, that is fun. I like it and it doesn’t steal from the world map.

Diva.4706

If the living story is the game, then I guess I am done here. Oh well.

g e o.2589

If the living story is the game, then I guess I am done here. Oh well.

we’ll miss you

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’ve loved the new content and for what it is, it’s excellent in my opinion – a big well done to the team who worked on it.

However, it is utterly bizarre not to have equally in depth content to appeal to non JP players alongside it. Minimal story, no meaningful events, no challenging boss fights. By all means keep making stuff like Bazaar, but supplement it. The story since LS started has been jumping around a lot, some of it good, some of it woeful, some of it ending suddenly without warning.

1 year on, we now really need some meaty content. Living story should be progressing set up stuff for the dragons, not shallow enemies like Molten or Aetherblades, who came and went in the blink of an eye…

(edited by Randulf.7614)

g e o.2589

I’ve loved the new content and for what it is, it’s excellent in my opinion – a big well done to the team who worked on it.

However, it is utterly bizarre not to have equally in depth content to appeal to non JP players alongside it. No story, no meaningful events, no challenging boss fights. By all means keep making stuff like Bazaar, but supplement it. The story since LS started has been jumping around a lot, some of it good, some of it woeful, some of it ending suddenly without warning.

1 year on, we now really need some meaty content. Living story should be progressing set up stuff for the dragons, not shallow enemies like Molten or Aetherblades, who came and went in the blink of an eye…

Wait wait wait, you mean no story? Why do you think this is called living world, because ships come and go? While you’ve been too busy doing new content just for drops, or for fun, whole story slipped beside you. Let me make this clear. After we destroyed molten Alliance refugees were sent to Consortium to work for living. Lion’s Arch council was sceptic about Consortium so they sent Ellen Kiel to investigate. After showing herself in that she was invited to effigy ceremony where murder happened. She solved the crime with help of mysterious Marjory Delaqua. After she found about aetherblades she was sent to deeply investigate their facility. When she caught Mai Trin she was set as a candidate at council, so was Evon, owner of TP and rich charr. Now they are showing people who is better while waiting for elections that will occur in next release.

Randulf.7614

That paragraph constitutes what 4-5 months of story? I (personally) don’t call that adequate I’m afraid.

“no” story was the wrong word – I have edited

(edited by Randulf.7614)

g e o.2589

That paragraph constitutes what 4-5 months of story? I (personally) don’t call that adequate I’m afraid.

“no” story was the wrong word – I have edited

name another MMORPG where you have seen such changes over time

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

However, it is utterly bizarre not to have equally in depth content to appeal to non JP players alongside it. Minimal story, no meaningful events, no challenging boss fights. By all means keep making stuff like Bazaar, but supplement it. The story since LS started has been jumping around a lot, some of it good, some of it woeful, some of it ending suddenly without warning.

This is 100% on the money its not the mingames per se its the lack of other meaningful content. What we are getting is largely shallow fluff.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Although I personally don’t mind minigames, I DO mind if it becomes major content to get nice armor- and weapon skins. I mean: I’m a horrible platform player, can’t solve ANY jump quest taking more than 2 jumps lol! So now I’m supposed to work my way to a final stage or just leave it and forget about all kinds of nice new skins? I tried, failed and won’t try again. Come on, this is a MMORPG, its supposed to be about action roleplaying. So leave mini games for visiting taverns and to socialize. Aquiring nice skins should be done by slaying enemies. Nothing else…

Randulf.7614

What “changes” do you refer to though?

I’m not disputing they have put in some good content (as did say that in my post). But, the world has not progressed. The World hasnt changed for all the clamour LS was meant to. We’ve had some excellent stuff – usually the gimmicky bits (This month, SAB), but I’m not seeign any really gripping story or straight content..

In that time, TSW has developed 3 updates – with new stories, new zones, new raid, new weapons. All of which are of a high quality.

Lotro pushed 2 expansions within 18months, with new zones, a big new combat (mounted) a huge number of new instances, lots of quests, interesting stories.

GW1 pushed out 2 expansions within a year, both of which prob saved the game, since Prophecies was pretty underwheleming.

I love GW2, but (and I will say it again – I PERSONALLY) do not believe it is giving the right balance or enough quality story. No reason it cant put the same deciation to story as it has to to the mini game stuff.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

Wait wait wait, you mean no story? Why do you think this is called living world, because ships come and go? While you’ve been too busy doing new content just for drops, or for fun, whole story slipped beside you. .

A lot of players fit into this category, the story telling needed a bit more improvement during the living story launch, Flame and Frost was more of less easy to follow but Southsun wasn’t, infact there has been threads popped up discussing this, Dragon Bash into the Inspector became more clearer esp since it is the first chapter to make use of visual aids to tell the story, something that should have been present in earlier chapters.

Let me make this clear. After we destroyed molten Alliance refugees were sent to Consortium to work for living. Lion’s Arch council was sceptic about Consortium so they sent Ellen Kiel to investigate. After showing herself in that she was invited to effigy ceremony where murder happened. She solved the crime with help of mysterious Marjory Delaqua. After she found about aetherblades she was sent to deeply investigate their facility. When she caught Mai Trin she was set as a candidate at council, so was Evon, owner of TP and rich charr. Now they are showing people who is better while waiting for elections that will occur in next release.

That isn’t truly “clear”, more a synopsis of the events so far , you failed to mention the antagonist in any of these steps and why the role they had, most can’t adequately explain the events without using google as they’ve been unable to follow it, that’s because story telling is still being improved and we’ve noticed that with each new living story chapter it’s getting better.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Although I personally don’t mind minigames, I DO mind if it becomes major content to get nice armor- and weapon skins. I mean: I’m a horrible platform player, can’t solve ANY jump quest taking more than 2 jumps lol! So now I’m supposed to work my way to a final stage or just leave it and forget about all kinds of nice new skins?

Its actually worse than that, for those of us with a high ping some of the content is almost impossible because they haven’t accounted for latency issues.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Velimirius.7018

Velimirius.7018

well they cant rly focus on making anything major or more complex and permanent then mini games with shooting out new “content” every two weeks.

two weeks is too short for making anything significant.

Randulf.7614

well they cant rly focus on making anything major or more complex and permanent then mini games with shooting out new “content” every two weeks.

two weeks is too short for making anything significant.

Completely agree, but I’m (personally) of the thought that a less hectic release schedule with more significant, polished content is the better way forward. I guess time will tell as things pan out if that is the wrong thinking or not.

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

To the OP, play a different game. That’s what I did, I’ve been back on Skyrim for the past month and having a blast, and when I want a new adventure I download a mod that adds massive content, and I get to choose what content to install and if it’s no good I remove it!

I still read the forums here to see if anything’s changed to bring me back but threads like this keep me away as it confirms my decision not to play.

Diva.4706

To the OP, play a different game. That’s what I did, I’ve been back on Skyrim for the past month and having a blast, and when I want a new adventure I download a mod that adds massive content, and I get to choose what content to install and if it’s no good I remove it!

I still read the forums here to see if anything’s changed to bring me back but threads like this keep me away as it confirms my decision not to play.

Yeah, I am pretty much over these updates. Waiting for the “Next” MMO to come out. Have fun guys, but this game has become something I don’t enjoy.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Its so funny…

The poor devs can never win, no matter what they do…

There has been loads of threads moaning about the lack of mini-games, so Anet listen and give the players a few mini-games…

Then, guess what? This thread…

Its so funny, if any dev tried to make every player happy they would end up as mad as a hatter!

lol…