Too much pushing for gem buying(edit) [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

The part that surprises me the most? There’s not 10+pages of this thread by now!!

Really, nothing they do about wanting us to pay real $ for stuff surprises me. It does get worse and worse and I don’t see it ending anytime soon. I get that they are a business and need $ to make new content, but the timing of this! Really? To nerf the number one way of making gold, promising a shift of that gold to another game mode – which had an unmentioned catch, and then to show this advert all within one month! I don’t like to “read between the lines” but it doesn’t “feel” right. Especially, when you combine that with all the additional stuff requiring more gold to get. This makes we wonder what will be Anet’s next move to limit our gold earnings, but increase the demand for gems.

Well at least they don’t make us watch videos that we have to pay to be disabled or flash annoying adverts in our game UI, and we’re still getting gold for events!

Posted by: rsimoes.3851

rsimoes.3851

What most people don’t realize or don’t want to, or just wanna bash for the sake of bashing is that the more people buy gold with gems, the lower the gem price will be in game… so this will only benefict those that don’t spend real life money.

And looking at the gem conversion it’s working because the gem price is at lowest in ages.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

The gem→gold price has risen by 20% or so in the last week, wonder why.

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

The gem->gold price has risen by 20% or so in the last week, wonder why.

It has?

Looks like a downward slope for the 2 weeks to me with the usual ups and downs during each day.

https://www.gw2tp.com/gems

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

In the time it took you to write this and your other reply, you could have read the rest of what I said. Apparently you didn’t.

I don’t think there are words in the english language. That do justice. To how nonsensical your position is right now. You are insisting that I’m dodging when you admitted that you avoided reading 90% of what I wrote.

Not the deepest of thinkers, are you?

How are you going to say I’m not interested in a critical discussion when you won’t even consent to have this discussion with me here? lol

You’re trying to take to PM what you started in the public to cover your hypocrisy with this weak moral BS that you can’t do it in public because you’re soooo respectful.

That didn’t stop you from making the initial statement on the basis of these as of yet unnameable MMO pillars of integrity of which Anet falls short.

I get the idea you’re either full of it altogether or you’re afraid of an actual discussion with regards to these companies you hold in high esteem.

You’re quick to criticize Anet but we dare not speak the names of those MMO companies you hold in high regard?

Heaven forbid they should come under the same fire and critical scrutiny you and others put to Anet. We’d need to keep that hush hush.

Or else we might have a balanced argument and discussion on MMOs overall as opposed to “Anet is lame, my unnamed companies are bestest”.

I even told you if you wanted names, you could PM me. But you conveniently cut that part out of your quote to make it look like I’m dodging.

Good god man. All this effort to try to dismiss me without addressing the content of what I’ve said. I recommend you log out of the forums and enjoy the game, because you clearly aren’t interested in talking about it critically.

If there was something in there to that effect, I can assure you I didn’t read it.

I only quoted the first paragraph because it’s the only one I read. Because it told me everything I needed to know.

I didn’t read your rant anymore than you can put names to your superior MMO companies here.

I’m upfront. You want to take it to PM. It’s pretty obvious between the two of us who is putting more effort into this let alone who’s more invested.

I don’t have any need to prove myself to you personally. Hell, I don’t even have to prove your premise flawed here in the open forum. At least not to any great extent.

You’ve successfully done most of that all by yourself. The sum of my effort is a couple ctrl+c’s and ctrl+v’s for the quotes and a few words to the matter.

Truly the hardest of work. You got me on that point. I’m clearly trying way too hard.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Today’s spike in the rate is brought to you by KEYS …. KEYS when you want tickets and instead get a big pile of miscellaneous Gem Store stuff. Remember KEYS, the odds might be in your favor?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

Did anyone else notice that Nick has taken 530 screenshots?

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

Posted by: Lanaeris.3845

Lanaeris.3845

Today’s spike in the rate is brought to you by KEYS …. KEYS when you want tickets and instead get a big pile of miscellaneous Gem Store stuff. Remember KEYS, the odds might be in your favor?

I refuse to buy those stupid things. If I buy gems, I want things. I don’t want the chance at things. I didn’t pay to gamble in an unregulated system, that’s just dumb.

Posted by: Ordin.9047

Ordin.9047

I havent read the whole thread, but wanted to state my opinion. As long as they don’t add ads to the game ui, I could care less if they try to point us to the BL shop. Players have a choice if they want to buy or not. From what I understand, NCsoft has a history of just shutting down games if they arent meeting the bottom line. I dont claim to know how they divide up the games profits, but Id assume that NCsoft takes most of it.

Posted by: emendez.3705

emendez.3705

I make 200g in about 3-4 days. It’s way easier to make gold now than it has ever been.

im a wvw only i make 5-10 in that time maybe lol but usually roam and zerg not ktrain perhaps i am doing it wrong

Posted by: Mereth.9385

Mereth.9385

As a very casual player I do feel the push of buying gems to exchange for gold to achieve things. I have achieved most of the simpler things and now I am faced with the choice of doing things I don’t like very much or buying things with gold. For example:

Cultural armor – tier 1 and tier 2 are simple enough, tier 3 for all of the races and all three armor types takes more gold than I have ever seen.

Ascended armor – I have managed after years of on and off play (I pre-ordered the main game) to collect enough silk to make 1 piece of the coat and the insignia. Now I am facing 300 bolts of silk and bunch of other cloth and after achieving this I don’t think I will be able to craft any other ascended pieces, because I am sick of trying to get cloth. I would have to buy the materials, which are not cheap.

New HoT stat gear – right, I need for those the insignas from the vendors. Well that’s not so bad, right what else… random drop books. Yeah right, I do not have the patience to run the new zones for that much so if I want those stats, I should go to the trading post. More gold again.

And buying all the materials for my crafting off the trading post just feels wrong for me. I don’t want to buy stuff, I want to put in reasonable effort to get those things myself, but currently the effort I have to put in is not reasonable.

I do think that ANet went a bit wrong with their gem store from the beginning. They should never have made everything buyable with gems, there should have been bunch of cosmetic items that can only be bought with real money and those should have been their main income. Bank, bag and character slots should still be sold for gems, so people could buy them with gold and there should be piles of chest pieces, legs and shoulders sold for real money (additional to the ones in game). I think that there is currently problem with people who are in a way ‘opposite whales’, as in people who have a lot of time to play and who have managed to amass piles of gold and now are converting those into gems. Basically denying ANet any income from them. It might be that the balance between ‘opposite whales’ and ‘whales’ is off right now and as such ANet tries to lessen the overall gold from the system to make ‘opposite whales’ buy gems. But what do I know.

Oh yes, I do have a third choice, not to play the game. Unfortunately that’s what I am doing mostly lately and so I do not feel very inclined to actually give any money to GW2, even if I actually like quite a lot of elements from that game.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

As a very casual player I do feel the push of buying gems to exchange for gold to achieve things. I have achieved most of the simpler things and now I am faced with the choice of doing things I don’t like very much or buying things with gold. For example:

Cultural armor – tier 1 and tier 2 are simple enough, tier 3 for all of the races and all three armor types takes more gold than I have ever seen.

Ascended armor – I have managed after years of on and off play (I pre-ordered the main game) to collect enough silk to make 1 piece of the coat and the insignia. Now I am facing 300 bolts of silk and bunch of other cloth and after achieving this I don’t think I will be able to craft any other ascended pieces, because I am sick of trying to get cloth. I would have to buy the materials, which are not cheap.

New HoT stat gear – right, I need for those the insignas from the vendors. Well that’s not so bad, right what else… random drop books. Yeah right, I do not have the patience to run the new zones for that much so if I want those stats, I should go to the trading post. More gold again.

And buying all the materials for my crafting off the trading post just feels wrong for me. I don’t want to buy stuff, I want to put in reasonable effort to get those things myself, but currently the effort I have to put in is not reasonable.

~~snip~~

Oh yes, I do have a third choice, not to play the game. Unfortunately that’s what I am doing mostly lately and so I do not feel very inclined to actually give any money to GW2, even if I actually like quite a lot of elements from that game.

I’ll ignore your 3-years-too-late rant about the structure of the Gem Store because it is honestly a tiresome dead horse that has long since decayed.

As for your issue with basically the most expensive, hardest to obtain gear in the game. That is designed on purpose. If they were cheap and easily obtainable, everyone would have them and their sense of accomplishment on those things would be tossed right out the window.

Playing a 1/2hr-45 minute Tarir meta event yields anywhere between 1-10 rare items (way more if you’re successful and have keys to open the chests below). Those then are deconstructed into Globs of Ecto, T6 cloth/leather/metal, and T5/T6 crafting mats.

Running around the new zones just gathering materials only yields so much currency in selling them. And if they’re needed: don’t sell, but they’re easy to get. Especially with Masteries that can help easily avoid certain mobs.

Your “feeling of rush to buy gems to turn to gold” is nothing more than an “I want it now” attitude. You’re not wanting to put any game long progression game effort into what are supposed to be long-term goals. That is not how the game is designed to be played. It is an option if you spend $$ to buy gold, but that is on you. The game has no pop-ups or anything telling you “Buy gold NOW!” like other games (LotRO, for example), so don’t say it does.

Posted by: DanielKingston.3947

DanielKingston.3947

When I saw this my heart lit like a candle

THANK YOU players of Guild Wars 2 for finally realizing that all this hard work you’re putting in is for nothing, you all might as well ask politely for a ban/mute just to keep Arena Net happy after this.

This whole Buy our Gems!!! has been a long coming thing, commodities in this game are no longer a worthwhile commodity instead worthless to the bone, in the new expansion you can acquire “200%” participation, then, receive still nothing but dust in between your fingers.

The Chinese are already in a system like this so do not worry too much about it, (They pay monthly for a VIP to get all these goodies) so yes, on that retrospective note we kind of have it good but.. ask yourselves.. DO WE REALLY?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This “outrage” happens everytime some players see them mention Gems to Gold. First it was when Evon mentioned in his weekly blog. Then when they revamped the TP interface and there was a “HUGE BUTTON FOR BUYING GEMS” and on the exchange screen itself. And now, it was one of the rotating pics on the TP screen because there was not enough “new” things.

But informing players that the option is available isn’t forcing anybody to buy them.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes