Too simplistic trading post model?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kings.7491

Kings.7491

Looking at IRL markets and other well made in-game markets (for example Eve Online) they all have a way bigger feature set than the current on in gw2. I have made a list of things I think are needed in the market:

- Order time limit. An order should have a time limit to keep the market up to date and better represent the current state of the in-game market.
Edit current orders. If I have an order listed this order should be able to be modified. Currently the only way to do this is to remove the listing and make a new one. Editing orders is a vital part of market competition and will create more accurate pricing. Of course an editing fee will be added to cover the missing listing fee but I should not have to pay the whole listing fee again only to lower the price by one copper.
Price history. An in-game graph for price history and moving average can greatly help in determine the real market value for an item.

If there is a good reason for why these features aren’t in the game I would be very interested to hear them.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The answer to, “why don’t they do X,” is almost always, “money.”

I am not saying that what you suggest would cost a lot, but it would have a cost.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Sure I’ll play devil’s advocate

- Order time limit. An order should have a time limit to keep the market up to date and better represent the current state of the in-game market.

But this only affects representations. It wouldn’t actually provide any real benefit to the game. What is gained other than a minute amount of clarity from this change? Secondarily, this feature from other games- at least, WoW and SWTOR- if it’s a really tightly limited timescale, constantly listing and relisting items that the game has sent back to you is beyond annoying. Even with longer scale items, this could be the case- Someone might explicitly put up say, a Tormented skin at a much higher price because they know they’ll get it at some point in the distant future.

- Edit current orders. If I have an order listed this order should be able to be modified. Currently the only way to do this is to remove the listing and make a new one. Editing orders is a vital part of market competition and will create more accurate pricing. Of course an editing fee will be added to cover the missing listing fee but I should not have to pay the whole listing fee again only to lower the price by one copper.

This seems like something of an oddity considering the velocity at which a lot of items move. This doesn’t so much speak on the idea of an edit mode itself- that could be very useful- it’s kinda like… If you don’t want to risk being undercut, you use the buy order feature instead.

- Price history. An in-game graph for price history and moving average can greatly help in determine the real market value for an item.

Anet’s gone on the record here saying that they’d prefer to outsource development for this sort of feature by granting APIs to the community and allowing them to create and manage tools of this sort. It makes a lot of sense to simply give the data to someone else rather than put it in the game client- not only does it add a lot to the workload of the dev team, but it also puts a lot of bloat in the client. A basic user doesn’t want or need a price history, and filling the UI with buttons doesn’t work- a web client like gw2spidy services that need much better.

If there is a good reason for why these features aren’t in the game I would be very interested to hear them.

I hope I’ve helped!

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Keeping the market up to date is actually counter-intuitive. You want market prices, in truly competitive economies, to set themselves so having items from 3 years ago has no negative effect on the market at any given time just like items that were uploaded but never bought until prices rose in Mithril (or another resource) just naturally got swept up, those that were too high didn’t budge, and the rest is fine.

It is unnecessary because games lack genuine time sensitivity.

- Edit current orders. If I have an order listed this order should be able to be modified. Currently the only way to do this is to remove the listing and make a new one. Editing orders is a vital part of market competition and will create more accurate pricing. Of course an editing fee will be added to cover the missing listing fee but I should not have to pay the whole listing fee again only to lower the price by one copper.

Instituting an edit function actually weakens the gold sink function of the “tax” that goes nowhere. In pricing it is always best to attempt to make the seller set his price so that he sticks to it so it is incentive to keep the ultra wealthy from shifting prices often and also incentive to keep the ultra poor from overpricing their items on purpose and then gently moving towards equilibrium. While I am sure this isn’t the intention behind this decision it would be the economic logic since items have a very low value in the game and are highly subject to inflation.

(edited by DGraves.3720)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

While I would love to see old bids swept to reflect the current range of bids and item interest, it’s only a little annoying since most of the activity is among the current top 5 or 10 price points.

Updating your bids is a few extra clicks but I think they don’t want players to just live on the TP. I find updating my bids one of the easier things to do. On the opposite side, items listed for sale, well they actively discourage tweaking your price with the listing fee, so unless you are merely complaining about clicks required, the TP will still want it’s full fee every time you update the sell price on an item.

And that’s why 3rd party TP sites flourish, they provide the graphs. I would be happy with a transaction price range and volume for the last 24 hours. Even better if they split it between items bought with bids and items bought from sale listings. As it is, movements in price and supply and “demand” numbers can have causes other than a completed sale.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The market keeps itself up to date, because there are only two values that really matter, and they are self-correcting: Highest buyer, and lowest seller.

Posted by: lagrangewei.8516

lagrangewei.8516

because TP isn’t intented to be a freaking stock market. if they made trading too effective, it would made trading too big of a factor in the game. this is guild wars, not trade wars… I already find TP too distracting.

RAWR~
Feed the Merlion… before the Merlion feed on YOU!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

What happened to the old AH it used to be able to choose what you are looking for and link items to chat?

This newer version cannot do either and its so bare boned.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

How would any of that benefit the game as a whole? Cleaning out old bids would make things a little prettier but that is all. Changing your bids every second does nothing since the whole point as said above is to be a gold sink. Price history is provided by the api if you want to track it yourself.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

There are sides that show price history on all items,just goggle GW2TP,and time limit on orders is a bad think as that force you to redo order all the time in that can take lot of time if you have over 500 of them

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

On the one hand, I think it’s really good that the TP isn’t like the auction houses in other games, where people (or more likely their addons…) constantly cancel and undercut anyone who lists something cheaper than them.

That system makes it very unfair for people, who don’t use addons, as they simply can’t afford the time required to fight a constant price war and gives those who do use addons (and/or have nothing else to do) an unfair advantage.

It also creates a situation where it becomes a race to the bottom.

Having said that, it is perhaps a little OTT that you have to lose the whole of the original listing fee (which is quite high, after all, especially for expensive items) just to relist, in this game.

Especially as this game doesn’t allow TP addons, as far as I know(?).

As you say, they could maybe just charge a slightly more reasonable relisting fee, rather than taking the whole of the original listing fee.

It could still be high enough to put people off constant undercutting, without being so high that it makes (occasional) relisting seem unviable.

It could also have a limit on the maximum number of times you could relist something, without cancelling first, within a certain amount of time.

Like, once per month, or something.

Re. time limits: I’m generally against these, as it is a lot of hassle having to constantly relist everything, whether you are happy with the price you originally listed it at, or not.

Nothing worse than the AH in WoW, where you have to relist things every two days, whether you want to, or not.

If the time limit was far longer than two days (e.g. 3 months) that might be OK, though.

However, you would need a far larger mailbox limit for the returned items.

Unless they just kept the items indefinitely for you, in a storage type part of the TP, until you could relist (which would be a far better solution, IMO).

Still think it would be better to just leave things listed indefinitely, though.

Unless, perhaps, they were going to refund the original listing fee when they delisted them (which I doubt they would).

Re. price history: I really like the idea of in-game graphs, to save people having to tab-out constantly.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Kings.7491

About the time limit on orders:

Keeping the market up to date is actually counter-intuitive. You want market prices, in truly competitive economies, to set themselves so having items from 3 years ago has no negative effect on the market at any given time just like items that were uploaded but never bought until prices rose in Mithril (or another resource) just naturally got swept up, those that were too high didn’t budge, and the rest is fine.

I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to say. What you describes sounds like supply and demand to me. But I don’t see how time limits on orders will distrupt that.

constantly listing and relisting items that the game has sent back to you is beyond annoying.

True, but theres also an upside to that. Items sent back to you gives you feedback on what items you didn’t get sold, that is, items that were overpriced. Now, as Tigaseye.2047 points out, relisting your items once every 2 days is annoying, but I was thinking more of a maximum listing time of 3-4 weeks.
A time limit would also allow for items to be put up for auction which currently is not an option.

About the editing of orders:

Instituting an edit function actually weakens the gold sink function of the “tax” that goes nowhere.

Yes that is true and gw2 really need those gold sinks, but let me explain why I don’t think it will matter in this case. I don’t remove and relist my items because of the listing fee. If there was a editing fee that would cover the difference in price (equal or more of the listing fee (5%)) I would edit my orders much more often. For example if I list 10 items for 60 gold I pay a listing fee of 5% = 3gold. My expected profit after selling is 15gold (6gold after transaction and listing fee). Now if someone undercuts me with one copper, I just have to sit and wait for their items to sell, because if I were to relist my items 2 copper lower it would cost me an additional 3gold, lowering the profit to 3 gold after fees. If I instead would pay an editing fee (5% of price difference, minimum 1 copper for example) I would gladly relist my order even if it meant lowering the price even more. In the grand scheme of things there are slightly less amount of listing fees but more editing fees.
I agree with how Tigaseye.2047 explains it

Having said that, it is perhaps a little OTT that you have to lose the whole of the original listing fee (which is quite high, after all, especially for expensive items) just to relist, in this game.
Especially as this game doesn’t allow TP addons, as far as I know(?).
As you say, they could maybe just charge a slightly more reasonable relisting fee, rather than taking the whole of the original listing fee.
It could still be high enough to put people off constant undercutting, without being so high that it makes (occasional) relisting seem unviable.
However, you would need a far larger mailbox limit for the returned items.
Unless they just kept the items indefinitely for you, in a storage type part of the TP, until you could relist (which would be a far better solution, IMO).

As for the price history:
Yes there are third party sites that offer this functionality, some better than others. Most of them are hard to read and not easy enough to use for the everyday gamer and I believe Anet can do a better job.
Some of you mentions the API but believe me, I have worked with it, and It’s not that great.

Price history is provided by the api if you want to track it yourself.

The information that is avalible from the market is very limited and no such thing as history exists. If the developer wants, price, transaction or order history they have to hack it themself, that kind of information is not avalible from the gw2 api.

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

As for the price history:
Yes there are third party sites that offer this functionality, some better than others. Most of them are hard to read and not easy enough to use for the everyday gamer and I believe Anet can do a better job.
Some of you mentions the API but believe me, I have worked with it, and It’s not that great.

Price history is provided by the api if you want to track it yourself.

The information that is avalible from the market is very limited and no such thing as history exists. If the developer wants, price, transaction or order history they have to hack it themself, that kind of information is not avalible from the gw2 api.

Anet may be able to do it better than the external sites, but on the other hand they may not be able to provide anything better, only equivalent. (at the expense of many dev-hours that could have been spent more wisely elsewhere)

the other problem with adding this in to the in-game TP is the extra bloat, the TP already loads painfully slowly for many people, causing it to have to load more information would detrimentally affect many more people than the small number that may benefit from having the feature added, so unless there was a way to turn off the feature (that also made sure it didn’t load in the background until enabled) then it would kill off any usage of the TP for me and many others.

edit: also what about http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/73034 is hard to read?

(edited by zxstanyxz.8769)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Actually GW2Spidy is probably the worst site for charts as their sampling of the market is fairly infrequent and inconsistent. Both GW2TP and GW2BLTC have roughly a 5 minute sampling rate available for the last 24 hours. GW2Shinies is every 15 minutes.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

What happened to the old AH it used to be able to choose what you are looking for and link items to chat?

The version that has only ever existed in your imagination remains where it has always been.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

The only thing I agree with is the edit function for a listing (whether a buy order or sell order) without having to claim the item/gold and relist. But in this situation, I am still for the full price to list as the original listing fee (as in, whatever the amount the item is being sold for, the current formula being used is still applied).

The TP was one of Anet’s gold sink. Reducing the cost defeats that purpose. If you have to change your sell price because of a mistake, you should follow the “measure twice, cut once” mentality and check your numbers. Yes, mistakes happen, but if you are careful, you can reduce it greatly.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I’ve no opinion for or against editing orders and price history, but I absolutely HATE time restrictions on orders. I do not want to have to re-post items repeatedly just to get it to sell.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Time limit:

• Do not force a maximum limit on me. I will rage and start an angry thread if you do. This takes away something I can currently do. 3-4 weeks is not long enough for me. (I want to see what happens when Wanze sees this thread.)
  • There are no old market orders because they can still be filled (with the exception of the buy orders that cannot be filled because they are lower than the minimum price and predate the enforement of the minimum — feel free to cancel those). If someone listed an item 3 years ago — I can still buy it, and it sets a limit on how quickly prices can jump. Similarly, I can sell to a 3 year old buy order (modulo the exception mentioned before), and that limits how quickly prices can fall. So, your suggestin would destabilize prices.

Edit current orders:

• Eliminating (or reducing to virtually zero — 5% of 2 copper, really?) the relisting fees is controversial, and I’ll have to think about what effect that could have to the economy. I’m initially negative, but there is no fee for upping a buy order, and that’s okay. I need to ponder this.
  • Ignoring the fee issue, it would be convenient to edit an order rather than delisting and relisting. I’m not sure it’s convenient enough to warrant programmer time, but I would find it useful.

Graphs in game

• Bloat — as others have already said.

Summary:
I think you confuse the TP with an auction house and don’t realize the advantages this system has over auction houses. Other than EVE, I can’t name one other MMO with a better developed economy, and the economy is EVE’s thing.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

The ability to modify a listing would substantially increase market fluidity and more accurate prices. I’m 100% behind you there.

Putting a time limit on orders is irrelevant and if anything would only make markets less fluid. This is inconvenient and distortionary with no upside as I can see it.

In game market tools? I could take it or leave it. Things like average price over the past 24 hours would be a useful tool, but pulling full graphic price histories are better served by 3rd party sites – that’s not always needed, and would be a big strain on the server to pull regularly whenever anyone looks at an item. There’s an important trade-off between being informative and keeping your UI parsimonious, and I don’t have a strong opinion on the state of the in-game UI in that regard.

Kings.7491

The TP was one of Anet’s gold sink. Reducing the cost defeats that purpose. If you have to change your sell price because of a mistake, you should follow the “measure twice, cut once” mentality and check your numbers. Yes, mistakes happen, but if you are careful, you can reduce it greatly.

I think you misunderstood my point. This is not about orders made in error, even though, being able to modify them would help if that were the case. Read my example again and perhaps you see what I mean.

Time limit:

• Do not force a maximum limit on me. I will rage and start an angry thread if you do. This takes away something I can currently do. 3-4 weeks is not long enough for me. (I want to see what happens when Wanze sees this thread.)

Please keep the diskussion at an appropriate level. No need to start threatening people around you just because you disagree. Who is Wanze?

The ability to modify a listing would substantially increase market fluidity and more accurate prices. I’m 100% behind you there.

Putting a time limit on orders is irrelevant and if anything would only make markets less fluid. This is inconvenient and distortionary with no upside as I can see it.

You have a point here. If they would implement the posibility to edit orders, for a discount, I guess it would make less of a difference if there were a time limit on the orders or not. However I still think there are upsides to time limited orders. First of all there’s the gold sink perspective. If more orders where forced to relist more listing fees would be paid. Then there’s the posibility for items to be put up for auction, enabling items to be sold to the highest bidder, thus making a more dynamic market.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Time limit:

Please keep the diskussion at an appropriate level. No need to start threatening people around you just because you disagree. Who is Wanze?

“Start an angry thread” is the appropriate level. I’m not threatening you personally. I am saying that, if implemented, this would be worthy of complaint on the forums.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You have a point here. If they would implement the posibility to edit orders, for a discount, I guess it would make less of a difference if there were a time limit on the orders or not. However I still think there are upsides to time limited orders. First of all there’s the gold sink perspective. If more orders where forced to relist more listing fees would be paid. Then there’s the posibility for items to be put up for auction, enabling items to be sold to the highest bidder, thus making a more dynamic market.

The market should serve the game and not the other way around. The combinations of your suggestions sounds like it would be making the game more tedious and less enjoyable for the sake of the market.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I can’t see why anything but what we have already is needed. So therefore, I have to ask why any of this would be considered. Yes, other market-driven games have more sophistication. Ask yourself if it’s Anet’s goal to provide a really sophisticated market environment like those games. Think the answer is no.

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

Next

In game market tools? I could take it or leave it. Things like average price over the past 24 hours would be a useful tool, but pulling full graphic price histories are better served by 3rd party sites – that’s not always needed, and would be a big strain on the server to pull regularly whenever anyone looks at an item. There’s an important trade-off between being informative and keeping your UI parsimonious, and I don’t have a strong opinion on the state of the in-game UI in that regard.

Ensign: making me type less since 2013

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

You should post more so we dont think you’re a reanimated corpse quietly mucking around in databases

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

The version that has only ever existed in your imagination remains where it has always been.

I don’t remember the version we have now being in GW2 2 years ago why can’t i link items in the AH in chat anymore everytime i click the item it opens some strange buy selling window…

Kings.7491

I just had another thought. Having a lot of old listings on the market do matter, and here is why. If I sell something on the TP I sell to highest buy order or just below lowest sell order. If you only look at it from that perspective, then yes it does not matter if the orders are 3 years old or 3 hours old. You could then draw the conclusion that time limit on orders are irrelevant or even making the market less fluid.

But consider this. Having a time limit and forcing old orders to be thrown out of the market don’t just keep the orders more up to date it also forces the sellers to keep their items on the market up to date with the current pricing. If a player make a sell order and that item never gets sold, it’s just that, an item that never gets sold. If the seller is forced to update his/hers order that item might just get sold. What that means is more items will get sold on the TP and at a more accurate pricing. In terms of gold sink that is a good thing right? It’s also great for the players because they will get more items sold and can buy items at a more fair price. Of course there’s the down side of having to relist your old orders, but I’m sure anet can make that very convenient like the rest of the game.

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Looking at IRL markets and other well made in-game markets (for example Eve Online) they all have a way bigger feature set than the current on in gw2. I have made a list of things I think are needed in the market:

Price history. An in-game graph for price history and moving average can greatly help in determine the real market value for an item.

Price History – See any of the following GW2 API Based TP Sites:
http://www.gw2spidy.com/
https://www.gw2bltc.com/
— See there is no problem here.

Order time limit – You are still insisting on an order time-limit (even on your latest post).
This would have an effect of players destroying items to merchants for gold rather than putting on the trading post. This in turn reduces the supply of items which in turn will lead to greater volatility.
There is actually no problem in having ‘old sell’ orders or ‘old buy’ orders.

I would rather have for example listed on the TP:
10 Million Candy Corn
18 Million Tiny Snowflakes
15 Million Nougat Center
14 Million Chattering Skulls
14 Million Plastic Fangs

Ready for Halloween / Christmas than 0 supply – as they have been returned to player and they lose 5% trading post listing.
Players would just destroy these materials – which would mean ANET cannot create ‘sinks’ for them like they do in exchange for ‘items’.

I see no advantage of removing ‘old’ sell/buy orders – it just creates a more volatile market.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

TPMN.1483

Of course there’s the down side of having to relist your old orders, but I’m sure anet can make that very convenient like the rest of the game.

You can only relist 6 items every min or so – John Smith has recently mentioned this is a ‘technical’ limitation – so nope it cannot be made even more convenient. It would also hurt people getting a 5% relisting fee many times over or encourage hording of items even more. This also has the side effect of players more likely needing to be online 24×7 to get the ‘best’ price without the relisting of old orders taking effect.
I do believe the majority of players don’t want to play the Trading Post all day long and want to actually play the game. Your changes would force many more players into watching the TP more closely.

You also have the problem of saying how old is an ‘old’ order?

I have 0 problems if someone wants to list an Eternity for 20K Gold and it stays up there for 3 years and does not sell – it creates a max ceiling price. What is your problem with players who do this?

The massive problem that your suggestion allows is:
more RMT Black market trading – It is well known that RMT Gold sellers use the trading post in ways that I cannot say on this forum (I’m sure John Smith is also aware of what they do). Not having old orders allows these RMT Traders to swap items between accounts incurring less fees (old orders) to get around the gold mailing restrictions.

There are also large advantages:
Old orders on the TP – help John Smith (aka The Matrix Economist) to better gauge volatility, supply, demand – this in turn he can use to make better estimates in how to modify any item to turn it into something useful in the future and the likely impact effects it will have in the game.

Kings.7491

Well there’s always the option to remove the player controlled market altogether and just trade with npc (I’m not joking, or being sarcastic). Like the gem trading. The more items a players sell to the npc marketplace the lower the price, and the more players who buy the higher the price. It would solve a lot of the problems discussed here. It would be simpler, easier to understand, instant sell/buy, no nuts and bolts, just press sell directly from the inventory and the money is at your nearest TP for pickup. No market manipulation, no 6 items/min limit, no exploits, no supply/demand problems, no bloaty interface etc

TPMN.1483

So if players had to ‘farm’ the material they needed only this would break the manifesto to the game.

The idea is people can do the content they like … e.g. raids, dungeons, fotm, farming etc and swap via a trading post.
People would still exploit via a NPC based system – they would just hoard the material forcing quicker price spikes up/down and a more volitile market than we have now.
You also remove the concept of the ‘gold sink’ by having the NPC.

If you have 1 item such as a ‘chak egg’ priced at around 10K Gold – it took a significant of gold out of the economy to list that item. IF you sold to a NPC – how would the NPC determine what price players would be prepared to pay for it?

Your system creates more problems for the players as it requires them to be ‘online’ at optimal prices and you cannot create a ‘buy’ order to get something at the price you are willing to pay for it.
It would also mean people are constantly checking a NPC for prices – taking people away from ‘playing’ the game.

TPMN.1483

Kings – you really need to think through the effect of what you’re suggestions would get as the end net effect.

The trading post system in GW2 is actually the best system in any MMO – I’m sorry if you find it complex.

Many of the things you are saying such as ‘instant buy/sell’ are supported by the current system – and nothing yet you have suggested will solve any problems that you have suggested.

A NPC based system can still be kitten, exploited by RMT Traders… if you understand the complexities of Money Laundering then you might understand how.

Kings.7491

TPMN you’re looking at it the wrong way, maybe I wasn’t clear enough. First of all goldsinks don’t have to be removed because of a npc trader, if you look at how the gem trading works the ratio from gem→gold and gold→gems are not the same, some of the gold goes to anet. NPC TP allows for anet to regulate prices, there are algoritms that don’t allow prices to spike and have a slow adjustment curve. Keep in mind that anet have all the droprates which means that they can make a rough estimate of how valuable an item is, then of course the price is regulated depending on the supply/demand as mentioned earlier.

Now with that said, I don’t want a NPC TP, I want a more complex market. I want more options and freedom when it comes to buying and selling my loot. But I think the TP is seriously flawed and I rather have a NPC TP than leave it as it is now. But maybe that’s just me. I was hoping for more discussion about improvements on the TP, not only this won’t work because of that. I’m not saying that I’m right and my suggestions for improvements are the right ones. I was simply trying to address those issues by suggesting improvements.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

They just need to improve the search with operators, add more filters, change a few items to work better with the trading post and remove the remaining impossible entries.

Everything else is working quite nice.

• An example of a new filter needed is ‘already unlocked’, to filter out thing you already have and don’t need to obtain again, such as minis, dyes, gear skins, mist champion skins, and recipes the current character knows.
  • An example of changes in items needed is making gemstore dyes exotic instead rare, giving them a separate set in the wardrobe, so people can tell them apart from the standard sets from unidentified dyes.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

TPMN.1483

But here is the rub- you’r suggestions are not improvements – they are negative step backwards.

A NPC TP – that prevents spikes/adjustment curves would be bad or max prices.
This is interferance in the economy and would require ANET to be more active across all markets.
So what price should ANET set for an item such as chak egg / eternity?

Would you be annoyed if ANET moved the price upwards?
How would ANET have a gold sink for listing items?

The GEM→GOLD→GEM is a different market its a ‘closed’ fixed market – where there is a finite supply of GEMS.

In a volitile open market – where goods are actively produced and supply can be changed the idea of a monopolistic communist price fixing economy would not work. You are suggesting ANET dictates Price controls on an open market?
— This would take a whole army of economist clones to get this right requiring close scruntiny compared to the system we currently have.

Your suggestions create a more simplistic market rather than a complex one.
I have not seen any ‘new’ options you have suggested yet about selling/buying your loot.

The current options are:
There is a vendor NPC – to sell at list price
Gamble it on the trading post – sell at a higher price (hope it will sell)
INSTA-SELL to another Player via Trading post (Almost always higher than vendor NPC Price)

The adjustment curve is easier dictated by players given the supply/demand/quantity available. Only items with low quantity are likely to adjust quickly or after major game changes leading to market price changes (look at Orb market for Fulgurite – which is now stable).

I am yet to hear one single argument on ‘how the TP is seriously flawed’

Kings.7491

You are suggesting ANET dictates Price controls on an open market?

No supply and demand does, as I said. The market still set the price but players don’t trade with each other directly, just like with gems.

I have not seen any ‘new’ options you have suggested yet about selling/buying your loot.

Please read my posts again, from the beginning, before you answer.

An NPC TP was one of my suggestions to solve some of the TPs issues, and just as I said before, I don’t think it’s a good solution. I much rather have a more advance TP with the possibility to edit orders. Also some new filters that were mentioned earlier by MithranArkanere is another great idea to improve the TP.

TPMN.1483

You are suggesting ANET dictates Price controls on an open market?

No supply and demand does, as I said. The market still set the price but players don’t trade with each other directly, just like with gems.

Please read my posts again, from the beginning, before you answer.

— This still stands IMO ?
Why as new new improvements are here about selling/buying loot at all – the market is currently dictated by buy/sell improvements to a trading post interface do not make a more complex market.

(a) EDIT Existing Orders

I much rather have a more advance TP with the possibility to edit orders. Also some new filters that were mentioned earlier by MithranArkanere is another great idea to improve the TP.

This is an item about ‘editing’ existing orders and not the initial buy/sell of a loot item.
What you really are now asking for is ‘potential improvements’ to the trading post itself.

TPMN.1483

From your first post:
Editing Order Fee
. Of course an editing fee will be added to cover the missing listing fee but I should not have to pay the whole listing fee again only to lower the price by one copper.

I disagree – you should have to pay the FULL listing fee again.
Your implementation can be exploited by listing an item at a lower price then raising the price you are willing to sell it at for a much higher price as you pay a lower fee for editing.

What you also do is reduce the amount of the gold sink that is in the game for those looking to sell things.

Its simple – if you want to sell stuff fast: ‘INSTA-SELL’
You dont mind waiting: ‘SELL Later at @N Price’

This topic of having lower fees for relisting items has been discussed many times before with the advantages/disadvantages full discussed over a three year period that the game has been out.

Posted by: John Smith.4610

Previous

John Smith.4610

You should post more so we dont think you’re a reanimated corpse quietly mucking around in databases

This is not the place for your weird prejudices against Reanimated Americans.

Kings.7491

I believe I read somewhere it’s your philosophy to stay on topic Anyway, do you have any comments on my suggestions Mr Smith?

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

But what if they’re tampering with the ecto salvage rate?