Too sudden build up of LA

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Knowing, that next week most likely will be LA build out out of a sdden with the next patch, I think this would be weird, cause LA currently still looks more than 90% destroyed.

Don#t you find it weird, that we won’t will see more steps in between, so that we see on a wider stretch more progression steps that Lion Arch keeps on changing daily a bit here n there, so that we can daily guess a bit more and more, how LA will look like in its final new state?

Thats what I personally would at least expect from building up a town under a living world, that you can clearly see daily some kind of progression and not that with 1 patch a nearly full destroyed town is out of a sudden fully repaired again.

Please make it not like that, it would be so immersion breaking, if towns get destroyed and from yesterday to day are suddenly totally repaired again,
Repairing LA should be a slow progression with several bigger milestones in between, that you can clearly see that the repairs progress and that the whole repair progress is not some kind of overnight magic, as if nothing happened before.

Whats your opinion about this guys. Do you believe too, that when the patch comes, that LA will instantly be completely repaired again, or would you find it also better, if there would be alot more progress steps being shown, maybe also bonded together with some kind of town event where you can help on buildign up LA again as some kind of content, that keeps us busy, while we wait on HoT.

I absolutely think option 2 would be the way better choice.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Expected reply:

Well, we feel the planning stage has taken way more time then anticipated, so we are using prefab castles mostly to speed up the rebuilding effort.

We are putting up the scaffolding now and the barges are bringing in materials just to make us able to pour concrete to build fundations as fast as we can mix it up then sit and harden them for approximately 2 weeks and cast a fireball to remove the wood, and unfold the castles and defences and you’ll be happy to notice:

Voilá, to be seen here: The new Lion’s Arch:

Done… as good as new. And making sure they are all nice and prefab makes replacing them much easier and convinient, and possibly cheaper if LA was to ever be attacked again. Of course develping this cost a huge amount of funds, so if you want any furniture or inventory: Please make sure you buy it at your nearest Black Lion TP.

Let’s hope our Cantha ordered new fountain arrives in time for the opening… They tend to still use ships… But as we already knew portals are fast. but since we lost the portal to Kamadan to hungry stone-eating entities we have no choice to hope for good weather on this specific part… We are negotiating with Asura’s and Canthans about the replacement of the Gate to Kamadan. But unfortunately this if taking more time and expenses then previously expected and consequently the costs of the fountain are higher then expected, so we will have no other choice then to raise BLTP taxes by 2% permanently.

Thanks for your attention and We hope you like the new LA.

Your’s sincerely (mostly…)

Evon Gnashblade,

Black Lion Construction Conglomerate,
Part of Black Lion Enterprises Unlimited.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

I think a fair few people want to see LA repaired already. I would also say there’s been enough stages as it is.

>Devastated
>basic repairs
>removal of Breachmaker’s parts
>reconstruction

I’m not saying that a more gradual approach would be easier on the suspension of disbelief, but I also think that that would be unrealistic when the company’s trying to finish an expansion at the same time.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: DieFinn.3594

DieFinn.3594

From the feeling it would be better if LA is rebuild in several stages imo, but to do so, anet must create severeal buildingstages and the map must be updated a few times and that will likely cost a huge amount of ressources i think. I understand the request fully with on part of myself, but another part tells me it will be highly unlikely to happen. And if you ask me from another viewpoint, i would say, they should place the ressources in developing new stuff over a literaly cosmetic feeling of rebuildtime in stages.
(I hope my english is understandable and not the worst)

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

I agree that the rebuilding comes pretty sudden and could have been rolled out more intelligently, but I don’t want to wait any longer than I have to to see LA being rebuilt.

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Where does it say the update will be enxt week? They said next update, not next patch day.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

From the feeling it would be better if LA is rebuild in several stages imo, but to do so, anet must create severeal buildingstages and the map must be updated a few times and that will likely cost a huge amount of ressources i think. I understand the request fully with on part of myself, but another part tells me it will be highly unlikely to happen. And if you ask me from another viewpoint, i would say, they should place the ressources in developing new stuff over a literaly cosmetic feeling of rebuildtime in stages.
(I hope my english is understandable and not the worst)

I agree with this point. Showing the rebuilding of LA in a lot of stages, while a nice touch, would take a lot of time and resources that could instead go towards other content. I don’t mind them skipping ahead to the end if it means the time they save for doing so goes into something else that is meaningful.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

They very specifically worded it as “next content update”, not “next patch”.

Do not expect these changes on Tuesday, as you may well end up disappointed.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

I’ll admit it would be nice if they only replaced a single “under construction” zone in Lion’s arch with it’s completed version every week – which would negatively affect us with internet caps.

That said, why in the world are people encouraging Anet to release things slower?

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

They missed a great opportunity with LA. Reconstruction should have started a year ago and have included participation from the players. Nothing big, just little side quests to go along side the living stories like “go recruit this engineer”, “build supply lines across Tyria”, “Help clean up this mess” and slowly rebuild. It would have been interactive and much more immersive than what we got.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

They missed a great opportunity with LA. Reconstruction should have started a year ago and have included participation from the players. Nothing big, just little side quests to go along side the living stories like “go recruit this engineer”, “build supply lines across Tyria”, “Help clean up this mess” and slowly rebuild. It would have been interactive and much more immersive than what we got.

It would also require much more coding and thus delayed the expansion.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Julie Yann.5379

Is it really that much more coding? It’s just a couple little quests, I’m sure a single competent coder could have done it in a week or two.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

e3 first then we will see when next update is. (suspect 23th or later)

lordkrall.7241

Is it really that much more coding? It’s just a couple little quests, I’m sure a single competent coder could have done it in a week or two.

“A couple little quests” is quite a bit more work than people would think.

They would need to add NPCs for it, they would need to add items/mobs/pathing/objects for it. They would need to test and make sure that it would not break something else. They would also need to create several completely different versions of the map (to show the progress of the rebuilding and so one).

I suppose using the word coders was a mistake though. Should have used developers, seeing as it would also need more than just coders.

And even a few weeks is time that needs to be taken away from the expansion. ArenaNet is not a massive company with thousands upon thousands of developers. They are a relatively small company with around 300 employees in total (and that includes everyone, including support-staff and other non-developing employees).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

If a single coder could put out that much content in a week, no gaming company would have more than like 10 employees. But since most of them have 100+ I think its safe to assume that it would take way longer than that.

If people had a choice between devs designing quests to hunt down and kill dragon minions or to design quests to be a construction worker, I dont think many of them would choose the latter.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Julie Yann.5379

“A couple little quests” is quite a bit more work than people would think.

They would need to add NPCs for it, they would need to add items/mobs/pathing/objects for it. They would need to test and make sure that it would not break something else. They would also need to create several completely different versions of the map (to show the progress of the rebuilding and so one).

I suppose using the word coders was a mistake though. Should have used developers, seeing as it would also need more than just coders.

And even a few weeks is time that needs to be taken away from the expansion. ArenaNet is not a massive company with thousands upon thousands of developers. They are a relatively small company with around 300 employees in total (and that includes everyone, including support-staff and other non-developing employees).

It just seems rushed and half@ssed the way it is being done now. I would have gladly waited an extra couple for expansion in order to see it done right.

If a single coder could put out that much content in a week, no gaming company would have more than like 10 employees. But since most of them have 100+ I think its safe to assume that it would take way longer than that.

If people had a choice between devs designing quests to hunt down and kill dragon minions or to design quests to be a construction worker, I dont think many of them would choose the latter.

My time frame was not for the whole project. They already have a team redesigning LA so I wasn’t including that. The week or two is just the extra time it would have taken to add a few extra quests to what is already being put out.

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

lordkrall.7241

It just seems rushed and half@ssed the way it is being done now. I would have gladly waited an extra couple for expansion in order to see it done right.

People are already complaining about the expansion not being released yet. I find it highly unlikely that they would like to wait potentially months extra just to get a couple of Lion’s Arch (temporary) updates.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Julie Yann.5379

People are already complaining about the expansion not being released yet. I find it highly unlikely that they would like to wait potentially months extra just to get a couple of Lion’s Arch (temporary) updates.

People were complaining about an expansion not being release 6 months after launch. It only got worse cause Anet announced an expansion and have only been spoon feeding little bits of info ever since.

It is too late to do this now, but if it had been started 1 yer ago, everything could have been incorporated seamlessly. Anet just missed a great opportunity to make something fun and interesting out of it.

lordkrall.7241

Did you play during Living Story season 1?

That was temporary content. People raged like mad about them “wasting resources” on creating stuff that would be removed and never used again soon after.
sn’t that exactly what would have been the case with this as well? They would have developed content that would only ever be used for a few weeks at most and then never be seen again.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

LA was stitched together with leftover scrap from the start. It wouldn’t take long to get it back to at least that level of quality with a large workforce going at it.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

No need to suspend your disbelief, it has already been explained:

Construction projects are dependent on workers and weather, both of which can be unpredictable. But while we don’t have a date for the final unveiling, we can say that—due to the advantages of off-site construction—one morning in the next few months you’ll awake to a newly refreshed Lion’s Arch.

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/lions-arch-construction-nears-completion-new-player-poll-announced/

Near the bottom under the Celebrate header.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I very strongly doubt the patch will be next week anyway.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I very strongly doubt the patch will be next week anyway.

^this, and it will be a surprise update imo.

and quote:
"" Construction projects are dependent on workers and weather, both of which can be unpredictable. But while we don’t have a date for the final unveiling, we can say that—due to the advantages of off-site construction— one morning in the next few months you’ll awake to a newly refreshed Lion’s Arch . ""

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It should have happened sooner and it also should have happened in like 4-5 stages. Now I just want it finished and never destroyed or worked on again. I want all map work to be in wholly new maps from now on.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

It is mentioned ingame as well, by the way – there are some npcs talking about the new chapel being built off-site like that, and plans to transport it via air to place it on-site.

(sure, doing something like that is very costly, but it isn’t surprising; Ellen Kiel has already proven herself quite inept at her work; that is, assuming she hasn’t got some bribe to do things this way; oh, if only we had some good guy like Evon in the council instead…)

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

Kinda too late to say it needs a better build up imo, they’ve already left it destroyed way too long.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: iJest.4139

iJest.4139

I’m thinking it’s fine the way they’re doing it. Completely destroyed, in the process of rebuilding, and rebuilt. Those stages are simple and effective. It would be way too much time and effort devoted to updating the map a tiny bit every day. I don’t need to see actual daily progress in order to believe that the workers are rebuilding Lion’s Arch.

… Besides, I really want to see the finished city!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

people complain for complainings sake, because alot of them are allso spoiled people which are at the same time impatient.

I personally always prefer to get a high qualitative solution that takes longer, than to get somethign halfhearted and rushed implemented, only because impatient players can’t get to see something fast enough gettign changed.

if ANet holds anything about their living world concept, then they will better do it slowly and integrate us players also somehow into the rebuilding process, so that we can partake on this task and help.
You know, like the Tower of Nightmare, where our participation by running to the top and injectign an Antidote leaded to a over time progression, where every player could see daily, how we progressed together to brign the tower to fall.

Thats somethign what I woudl expect here too.
Town events and daily we can see on a progression meter, how much our activities help on the progression bar to increasse and whenever a milestone on the bar has been reached, we would get to see some signicifant changes on LA.

Thats how I ever thought ANet would make it, how it would make also sense under the living world system.
And not like now, we do 1 map design change addign in some new airships holding stuff, some metal constructs here n there and sand plateus and then a few months later out of a sudden after a next content patch everything is changed over night and looks like as if never has somethign happened without any dynamic events around it, where we could help at all – thats the point that I fidn simply weird and what I would dislike and find immersion breaking.

We will have to wait on HoT anyways for sure alot longer, a few weeks longer won’t change much on that. Most likely date to get to know any release date at all is most likely around 6/7th of August when in Cologne in Germany this year is again the Gamescom (where I as one living in Cologne hehe will be, tickets are ready YAY)

And I’m sure, that it won’t get released then on the same month, but most likely several months later, perhaps around christmas, because thats naturally the best time to make money… so my own guess is, we have at least to wait 6 months more.

Naturally it can also be, that I clearly missunderstood the annoucement, and next week won’t be the said “content patch”, in this case, simply forget that this thread ever existed lol ^^
If that said next contet patch is maybe just in 2 months perhaps or so, then there is naturally some space in between, that Anet could use to add some more progression signs to LA so that we see from now on more oftenly some minor changes in LA happening to give us the feeling, that the work in LA progresses at all.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Mesmer magic. Most of this has been built already but you can’t see it. The workers are all mesmers. If you recall the nightmare tower it was the same way.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Mesmer magic. Most of this has been built already but you can’t see it. The workers are all mesmers. If you recall the nightmare tower it was the same way.

Yeah, Mesmers are hiding the progress. LOL

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

I agree that a more gradual change would be better form a story/role playing point of view. Yes, it would require more time and other resources on Anet’s part. But if they make new events and quests to involve the players in the process, that would be new content and would add to game lore. It wouldn’t matter so much that the expansion was a little later, because we would be getting new content along the way. I think they should have made the rebuilding and defense of devastated LA part of Living Story Season 2. If they planned it right, they could potentially stretch out LS S2 and make it last until closer to HoT’s release. (Avoiding many of the “Where’s New Content?!?” rants.)
But they didn’t do it this way. For their own reasons. And it’s far past the time when payer input could have changed the course of things.

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

The Consortium are rebuilding LA, and if previous events are anything to go by I woudn’t want to be under any high rise buildings for the foreseeable future—if ever!

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Consortium

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

It’s been too long – I don’t want a lore or anything around it because I don’t care of the destruction anymore which has been 14 months ago and none of the LS had anything to do with it, so in the end it’s more or less just a gigantic ruin without a story, why invent one now?

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

Sorry, mine was just a hypothetical “If they had done it this way from the start.” kind of thing. I agree it has been far too long. IMO it has been poorly handled. They should have had a plan for the restoration of LA, before they destroyed it. As I said, my choice would have been for it to be a part of Living Story Season 2.
I certainly don’t want the expansion delayed at this point.

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

@ Elden: If you think I was referring to you: I wasn’t =)

Just wanted to voice my opinion on the topic, before anet comes to the conclusion that the majority of players wants a delayed rebuild of LA for no reason ;)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I would have loved to have seen a few more steps spread out over the last year. Basic repair and debris removal. A Charr/Asura military force defenses deployed. Airships removing more and more of the drill debris. A tent city for the survivors in Lion’s Arch or Gendarran Fields.

But I can understand that major reworks of zone maps aren’t something you want to crank out every 3 months.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: miraude.2107

miraude.2107

Nope, not to sudden at all. I mean they could pull what Blizzard has done and do a ‘gradual’ rebuilding. They are now two expansions past Cataclysm and Stormwind is STILL being rebuilt. I think. Maybe. They’ll get to it when they get to it, I guess.

I started playing after Lion’s Arch was destroyed. It would be nice to see a game actually address a place being destroyed and then rebuilt. It really fits in with the whole Living Story thing and would be silly for it not to be seeing as from what I’ve wiki’d and read, there was a couple of months in between the first and second season. It would be nice to see it rebuilt before the expansion drops so I can explore it again.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I wouldn’t have cared if it was back up a week after scarlet wrecked it. The only thing that ultimately matters in LA is the distances between the mystic forge, banks and the TP, lol.

But it’s also nice to see makeovers, I am rather looking forward to this.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I personally always prefer to get a high qualitative solution that takes longer, than to get somethign halfhearted and rushed implemented, only because impatient players can’t get to see something fast enough gettign changed.

if ANet holds anything about their living world concept, then they will better do it slowly and integrate us players also somehow into the rebuilding process, so that we can partake on this task and help.
You know, like the Tower of Nightmare, where our participation by running to the top and injectign an Antidote leaded to a over time progression, where every player could see daily, how we progressed together to brign the tower to fall.

Honestly I did too.
At first I deluded myself into thinking that every day LA would look slightly different.
A scaffolding removed here, new one added there, new Airships moving in, etc.
But it´s the same old.

What you said about the Tower of Nightmare sounds awesome. If THAT would´ve been the way the failed Living Story had worked from the start I probably wouldn´t have left.

BTW I cannot believe there are still people actually defending the 1st season of the deleting content “extravaganza”! O_o

Polish > hype

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

people complain for complainings sake, because alot of them are allso spoiled people which are at the same time impatient.

Town events and daily we can see on a progression meter, how much our activities help on the progression bar to increasse and whenever a milestone on the bar has been reached, we would get to see some signicifant changes on LA.

Thats how I ever thought ANet would make it, how it would make also sense under the living world system.
And not like now, we do 1 map design change addign in some new airships holding stuff, some metal constructs here n there and sand plateus and then a few months later out of a sudden after a next content patch everything is changed over night and looks like as if never has somethign happened without any dynamic events around it, where we could help at all – thats the point that I fidn simply weird and what I would dislike and find immersion breaking.

We will have to wait on HoT anyways for sure alot longer, a few weeks longer won’t change much on that. Most likely date to get to know any release date at all is most likely around 6/7th of August when in Cologne in Germany this year is again the Gamescom (where I as one living in Cologne hehe will be, tickets are ready YAY)

And I’m sure, that it won’t get released then on the same month, but most likely several months later, perhaps around christmas, because thats naturally the best time to make money… so my own guess is, we have at least to wait 6 months more.

Naturally it can also be, that I clearly missunderstood the annoucement, and next week won’t be the said “content patch”, in this case, simply forget that this thread ever existed lol ^^
If that said next contet patch is maybe just in 2 months perhaps or so, then there is naturally some space in between, that Anet could use to add some more progression signs to LA so that we see from now on more oftenly some minor changes in LA happening to give us the feeling, that the work in LA progresses at all.

I think there was only an illusion of making progress on the Tower of Nightmares. If you remember, that was before MegaServers. Yet, each server you visited had the exact same amount of progress. The progress wasn’t really affected by player participation, but incremented slowly over time…whether anyone played there, or not.

Thus, although giving the impression we would ‘help’ restore LA with quests, it still would have just moved along with time.

There have been subtle changes to LA over the past months, but you really had to search for them. I will be happy to see the new LA; maybe…just maybe…there will be some kind of new content to play (those baby karkas can’t be a good sign!). ; )

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

This seems to avoid an issue with some services in LA being completed, while others aren’t. Moving things around on a temporary basis for a few weeks, moving them again.
I think the goal of spreading out players not only throughout the city was successful, but also throughout the world. The racial cities social areas are now used as much as the areas in LA making the game overall more alive with players rather than just NPCs. milling about.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

I am totally fine with how LA has been progressing – except for those holes in the wooden bridges that I still forget about and keep getting stuck in. (grumble, grumble)

I should be writing.