-Took down pointless prime post-

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t see a lot of complaints about the rank and file “not caring.” The complaints I see are more about “ANet not caring.” To me, that means management, not the poor guys working their tails off. Further, I don’t see complaints about “not caring about the game,” but I do see complaints about not caring about what the posters thinks people want.

Posted by: Hobbitz.5831

Hobbitz.5831

If you went to the grocery store with a list of 50 items, picked up the first 5 then they kicked you and told you to comeback tomorrow, how would you feel?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

If you went to the grocery store with a list of 50 items, picked up the first 5 then they kicked you and told you to comeback tomorrow, how would you feel?

I’d stop going to that store and find another one, which is what people should be doing in Guildwars 2 imo.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d stop going to that store and find another one, which is what people should be doing in Guildwars 2 imo.

It’s the reason I left AoC.

Posted by: Coffee.7058

Coffee.7058

I made a thread to complement anet with this patch and got an infraction — meh lol no more posting in this forum for me aside from other’s post.

Team Peenk

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

It’s more like if you went to a grocery store where they advertised fresh products and only later found out that not only the products where not fresh but were rotten chew off splat out stuffs that were done and tested by another shop around the corner. And only later spin their advert to say that those rotten products where what was originally meant to be sold. How would you feel?

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

I made a thread to complement anet with this patch and got an infraction — meh lol no more posting in this forum for me aside from other’s post.

I posted a reply YEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! to support no grind and i got infracted for posting not-related issues.

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

probably work 60-80 hour work weeks

That’s pure speculation…and your post contains too many ’probably’s.
Half the problem on these forums is that complaints often go unanswered (or are even acknowledged).
Sure, we all ‘get’ that they’re busy people but if you ignore your customer base, and it’s grievances, you’ll end up with no customers at all.

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

I also work in Software development for Insurance, but as an external consultant. I’ve been working for the same Insurance company for 6 year now. We have teams that do the work. Normal 40 ~ 50 hours work weeks + time putting stuff in production at service hours (10 pm +) or in the weekends/Sunday night.

If you are working 80-120 work weeks, your quality will suffer greatly.

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)

Posted by: Machiavel.6042

Machiavel.6042

Yeah, sure…. 80 to 120 hours a week…

Anyway, the real problem is not the devs, stuck behind a computer, trying to figure what the heck is going wrong with their game. Hey, in fact we can pretty much all agree that the designs are awesome, the scenery is often breath-taking, music is nice, and artworks of this game were mind-blowing (at first at least).

The problem is: the bosses. The guys behind the project, giving orders. They’re akitten**** bunch of lazy a** workers, seriously.

“Oh, hey you, dev A. Make us content for that specific week with your team.”
“But, sir, what should we do ? Can we test it ?”
“No time, just do it. We’ll patch it along the way”

Or…

“Hmmm…sir ? The players are asking for us in correcting a few bugs that are still there from lauch day.”
“…how’s the new gem stuff going ?”

See ? They don’t care. They just want the little green paper that’s stuck in your pocket.

We should buy cupcakes for the devs and meet them personally to thank them. Wish I could meet them at least to say thank you >.>

-I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it- Edgar Allan Poe

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

It’s the same fallacy as assuming someone toiling 15 hours a day at a work camp cares deeply about their country.

Guess what. ANet’s devs don’t necessarily have a say in their own game.

In the worst case scenario (such as with many generic dull-grey military first-person shooters), it goes like this:

1)Publisher that knows nothing about game design decide to implement horrible feature A or terrible game direction B;
2)Chief gameplay designer grinds his teeth, and grudgingly tries to salvage the mess by implementing the orders in the least destructive fashion;
3)Programmers are already busy with something more substantial, like making the game push more than 5 FPS, but their suggestions aren’t listened to;
4)Content creators sigh and go back to finding solace in drawing pretty things for content that will be seen almost never anyway.

Now, I don’t know what goes on at NCSoft or ANet exactly, but you don’t have to be a genius to take an educated guess.

Posted by: Lord Rheios.4152

Lord Rheios.4152

It’s the same fallacy as assuming someone toiling 15 hours a day at a work camp cares deeply about their country.

Guess what. ANet’s devs don’t necessarily have a say in their own game.

In the worst case scenario (such as with many generic dull-grey military first-person shooters), it goes like this:

1)Publisher that knows nothing about game design decide to implement horrible feature A or terrible game direction B;
2)Chief gameplay designer grinds his teeth, and grudgingly tries to salvage the mess by implementing the orders in the least destructive fashion;
3)Programmers are already busy with something more substantial, like making the game push more than 5 FPS, but their suggestions aren’t listened to;
4)Content creators sigh and go back to finding solace in drawing pretty things for content that will be seen almost never anyway.

Now, I don’t know what goes on at NCSoft or ANet exactly, but you don’t have to be a genius to take an educated guess.

This was kindof my point, but it seems I may have had a fundamental misunderstanding about what people were complaining about. I thought it was devs, perhaps it was simply Anet management priorities. But even then its hardly something to freak out about. SOMETHING has to be priority. If there a business its the things that there calculations provide them revenue.

The concept that someone toiling anywhere for any length of time doesn’t have SOME investment in their work either displays a distinct lack of work ethic on part of that person, or an acute level of desperation. I’m not quite clear which would be more depressing, but I’ll acknowledge the assumption may be falling to a fallacy.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

60 – 80 hour work week? I’m pretty sure farming that long is counter productive since DR kicks in after 20 minutes of real work. Just ask the guys over at Initech. If they ship a few more boxes, we don’t get another dime. Where’s the incentive? Hehe

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Lord Rheios.4152

I also work in Software development for Insurance, but as an external consultant. I’ve been working for the same Insurance company for 6 year now. We have teams that do the work. Normal 40 ~ 50 hours work weeks + time putting stuff in production at service hours (10 pm +) or in the weekends/Sunday night.

If you are working 80-120 work weeks, your quality will suffer greatly.

That is true. Perhaps it was assumptive of me but I know game devs tend to work longer hours than regular developers for longer amounts of time. I’m not sure of it exactly and how it is for every company. I shouldn’t have assumed but I was addressing a non issue anyway.

Lord Rheios.4152

As to the spoiled vegetable comments:

You’re conflating issue pretty severely. It’d be closer to finding a department which you note has an dependence of bruised fruit. Should that fruit be bruised, most likely not, but its hardy salvageable.

Regardless, it seems I may have misunderstood the issue I was attempting to address.
I’ll see if I can get the thread closed down then, since its pointless to express a sentiment that no ones really unaware of. I’m just that weird dude in the room saying the blue coach is blue while everyone raises a quirked eyebrow.