Torment, and a thought.

Torment, and a thought.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BrokenGlass.9356

BrokenGlass.9356

Could we normalize torment damage in pve, by removing the double damage while moving concept, and changing it to double damage while the enemy has a slow applied? This allowing cripple, chill, imobalize, and slow to be the triggers for the damage bonus?

This would allow torment users to be more effective against stationary bosses in pve, simply by maintaining a debuff. Also it allows better party synergy… see a big torment stack? Toss debuffs, even if the bar is broken.

Torment, and a thought.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

This would allow torment users to be more effective against stationary bosses in pve, simply by maintaining a debuff.

But less effective against moving bosses (as well as mobs). Swings and roundabouts really is it not? I think it’d be silly to have the same condition doing two opposite things over two different game modes.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Torment, and a thought.

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I think torment was meant to punish people who ignore their conditions. It is a good concept.

Torment, and a thought.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

It’s a great concept for Pvp/WvW (which is why it was first introduced) but it is lacking in pve. Condi mesmer and condi revenant will never become viable in pve unless they change it. I always suggested switching the values, so it does more against stationary targets for Pve only.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Torment, and a thought.

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

Many damage styles have weaknesses though. Confusion and retaliation are not that good against opponents with slow abilities. Burning doesn’t work against destroyers. Slow attacks like lava font and meteor shower are the opposite of torment, as they are horrible against moving targets. What makes torment so special that it needs to change?

Torment, and a thought.

Posted by: Thomas.4208

Thomas.4208

Could we normalize torment damage in pve, by removing the double damage while moving concept, and changing it to double damage while the enemy has a slow applied? This allowing cripple, chill, imobalize, and slow to be the triggers for the damage bonus?

This would allow torment users to be more effective against stationary bosses in pve, simply by maintaining a debuff. Also it allows better party synergy… see a big torment stack? Toss debuffs, even if the bar is broken.

I agree with you ,Torment and confusion, are beside some special cases as (bloomhunger , Mai Trin , Ice elemental or dredge etc<=bosses that at a constant base are moving/ using abilities) , not used to their fullest potential.
I know that they are more strongly focused on pvp and if you are not careful the punishment is heavy (more or less depending on class), but still as you said there is room for improvement in pve.

Ponny ^^/

Torment, and a thought.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Anet’s been fixing Torment by making new enemies more mobile. In HoT maps, I’ve never had a problem keeping enemies moving with torment on them.

Torment, and a thought.

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

It’s a great concept for Pvp/WvW (which is why it was first introduced) but it is lacking in pve. Condi mesmer and condi revenant will never become viable in pve unless they change it. I always suggested switching the values, so it does more against stationary targets for Pve only.

Perhaps like Vampiric Aura, a new trait line can allow team mates to help stack Torment. It would be nice if Mesmer had an aura that allowed others to proc confusion.

Torment, and a thought.

Posted by: BrokenGlass.9356

BrokenGlass.9356

This would allow torment users to be more effective against stationary bosses in pve, simply by maintaining a debuff.

But less effective against moving bosses (as well as mobs). Swings and roundabouts really is it not? I think it’d be silly to have the same condition doing two opposite things over two different game modes.

How would this idea be any less effective against moving bosses? You could still apply debuff condis to them, thus they could still take double damage.

Also, in pvp/wvw… if torment is designed to punish those that ignore condis, making its damage bonus contingent on debuffs (more conditions) accomplishes this rather well.

If I doll out a 20 stack of torment on a stationary target, then chill them… it’s as though they were moving. This would work in both pvp and pve.

I don’t know if this would be a nerf to torment in pvp or not… but I believe it would still be extremely functional.

Also, to the poster who mentioned HoT maps, trash mobs moving in open world content has rarely been the issue… the issue is in group content where you can just “stack and whack” a boss to death… as in, nearly every boss in nearly every dungeon. The vast majority of fractals… and at least a few raid bosses.