Town Clothes, In Memoriam

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cerai.9741

Cerai.9741

A year ago today, the (very excellent) feature pack tragically removed regular town clothes and made them tonics. In doing so, players lost the ability to dye them. This thread is here to commemorate this loss for those who had use of it.

Attachments:

Posted by: Kitty.6219

Kitty.6219

Gosh, I miss the town clothes so much. And what I miss the most is that you could paint them like armor. Now you cannot change the colors of the town clothes tonics. :c

And we only get 4 colors for the whole outfits!

So sad!

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Do I miss town clothes?
Yes.

Do I miss the fact that we couldn’t fight in them?
No.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

A year ago today, the (very excellent) feature pack tragically removed regular town clothes and made them tonics. In doing so, players lost the ability to dye them. This thread is here to commemorate this loss for those who had use of it.

Red cabbage is still cabbage.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I would have liked it if they would have just been converted to skins. they were skins after all.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

town clothes just should be where outfits are right now… atleast you could make your own look with them…god i miss my shorts -_-

Posted by: qarinus.3869

qarinus.3869

I miss being able to mix and match them, and colour them for sure. I had a number of townclothes, but none of the colours of the tonics they became suited my taste or my characters’ look. And now my poor warrior is stuck in his armor 24/7 instead of being able to take it off and relax in comfortable clothing.

Attachments:

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There was a huge thread a year ago with lots of posts showing beloved town clothes combos. Here was mine in that thread.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feedback-Questions-Town-clothes-Costumes-Combat/page/9#post3812990

I really miss the shorts, and the fancy white shirt, and mixing in different headgears, and the basic starter sets ….

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

And to this day i still don’t understand why they weren’t just made into skins for the wardrobe that were race specific just like the cultural armor skins. Literally no reason for that. But yeah…anet.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

And to this day i still don’t understand why they weren’t just made into skins for the wardrobe that were race specific just like the cultural armor skins. Literally no reason for that. But yeah…anet.

like i said before.. they should be where costumes are right now. Usable in battle, a 4th armor weight class everybody can wear and a TRUE 2nd look rather then these horrible 1 piece suits, there was nothing wrong with them cept that you couldnt wear em in battle..

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I hate the destruction of town clothes.

Rest of the post I tried to make turned into short version: I loved the fluff items. Only hate left now.

let the sky fall

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

1. Born Free cosplay? As your parents (grand parents? )

2. Look Ma! No Clipping! Ok, not clothes, but the old running animation where you can see how the arms were more tucked in and how the back leg would extend perfect straight at the apex. Happily pay to have that back as something I can re-apply with a makeover kit. Or better yet, we buy different running and walking animations and activate the one we want.

Bonus: I don’t see my staff clipping anything. Stowed 6 in in mid air above my back like every other game.

3,4,5. Clothes and emotes!

Bonus: Giant candy corn I mine in my home (which, isn’t my home, it’s really some Norn’s home, I think, and we all have the exact same homes and family) in case anyone wants to talk about running and emotes not being realistic.

6. Halloween!

7. How I feel that all these things are gone.

Attachments:

Posted by: Geneaux.9547

Geneaux.9547

Never saw the point of use for town clothes beyond role-playing, which I don’t do.

“Man this jungle in the expansion better look so good it gives me flashbacks to Nam.”
Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Knights of Ares [ARES]

Posted by: hardloop von edgehoven.8512

hardloop von edgehoven.8512

Never saw the point of use for town clothes beyond role-playing, which I don’t do.

considering that many players dont rpg beyond combat or pve, or evrything else than just staying or walking around somewhere and talk or else, its a pretty strange business decision.
ok i forgot: dancing around…

why exclude such a big player base from buying good looking armor at the shop? who knows.

little example: my char walks into a heavy snowy area to to some quests or else. my imidiate reaction as a more casual rp player (some calls this IMMERSION) is: “i would like to fight in appropriate armor for this area. where is my kitten awesome inuit-suit?”
just to find out, its in the tab, locked forever (in a could and would status) and kitten its outfit anyway….but why?

(edited by hardloop von edgehoven.8512)

Posted by: Geneaux.9547

Geneaux.9547

considering that many players dont rpg beyond combat or pve, or evrything else than just staying or walking around somewhere and talk or else, its a pretty strange business decision.
ok i forgot: dancing around…

why exclude such a big player base from buying good looking armor at the shop? who knows.

little example: my char walks into a heavy snowy area to to some quests or else. my imidiate reaction as a more casual rp player (some calls this IMMERSION) is: “i would like to fight in appropriate armor for this area. where is my kitten awesome inuit-suit?”
just to find out, its in the tab, locked forever (in a could and would status) and kitten its outfit anyway….but why?

Even then, its still pointless, as far as Anet is concerned. The whole purpose and theme of the game is to combat the threat of the Elder Dragons. Nothing else is conducive to this, save “immersion” purposes and that’s entirely subjective and varies from person to person. Now I will concede in that Anet offers other useless tidbits, all things considered like bobblehead kits and charr bass guitars, but they’re fickle existences to satiate time in which you are doing nothing. Town clothes usage was even less “tangible” than that.
Outfits look to be Anet’s solution to the town clothes disparity. They offer looks without sacrificing stats, which means consistent combat effectiveness. Which is what you will be doing 9/10, if role-playing isn’t your thing. They seem to make up the majority of players. Not trying to bash but town clothes don’t fit the core audience.

“Man this jungle in the expansion better look so good it gives me flashbacks to Nam.”
Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Knights of Ares [ARES]

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I don’t really get why they didn’t make them outfits?

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t make the Sylvari Racial armor an armor skin. There’s absolutely no way whatsoever that it’d clip with anything. It’s impossible.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Here was my thread before the dark times overtook us:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Share-your-Mix-n-Match-TOWN-CLOTHES/first

Still wondering… why TONICS?

Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Kitty.6219

Kitty.6219

Indeed, a set of skins or an outfit would be so much better.

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

I’d like to see them (all) as skins, too. And dyes saved per skin, while we’re at it. One dye set might look great on a skin but disfigure another. Annoying to restore them manually after a skin change.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

I still want to fight monsters in my gw2 dragon logo t-shirt. But anet screwed that up big time.

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Town clothes were awesome.
Some of them even look a lot more fitting to fight in than a few outfits and other skins.

Attachments:

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Town clothes…such a useless feature.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

In retrospect turning them into armor pieces or outfit would have been way more usefull and usable.

My personal favorite would have been armor pieces to retainn the mix and match options… But I had some,got some tonics in return and NEVER EVER USED THEM AGAIN!

I’m still wondering why I go to a converter and get the basic ownclothes tonic with each alt, Already haveing to many of them as is….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Spyritdragon.6048

Spyritdragon.6048

I don’t get it. I still haven’t found a reply to this from Anet, and it seems such a simple fix. Please, just make the things into standard armour skins, or into outfits even!
Town clothes were brilliant, and it’d be a really big plus for Anet if they were willing to look into this simple fix. But, nothing so far…

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

Eh. I liked the idea of them, but the lack of sets that could be acquired in-game was disappointing.

Remedying that and having them as wardrobe skins would be better though; I’m not fond of medium and heavy armour in general, but my main and my two worthwhile (attractive) alts fall into those classes, so getting some nicer clothing options would be great.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

They need to make those things armor pieces. I combined the hoodie with the cargo pants, and it worked well. I would KILL for the ability to do that combination again.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

I never understood the logic behind making them tonics.

Making them skins similar to how the Fused Gauntlets work for all weight classes would have been ideal.

For clipping, some armour already clips with the current skins. Don’t like how one piece is clipping? Don’t use that combination of skins.

For the argument “If a Warrior runs in town clothes skins they’ll look like a light class” – Nope, outfits threw that out of the window and PvP currently has the option for mandatory default player models.

Really, swapping them back to skins is an easy and cheap way for them to add a little more variety to the game whilst we wait for HoT. (Easy and cheap because they already had the clothing as separate skins)

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]