Town Clothes as an Outfit

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Entrea Sumatae.7830

Entrea Sumatae.7830

Isn’t it about time town clothes stop being that horrendous black-and-red-only tonic and get implemented as a full-fledged outfit? With the already existing outfits throwing any hope of identifying armor class at a glance out the window anyway, I can’t see any reason not to give us at least a bit of usability back. At least, as an outfit, we’d be able to change the colors in a basic way. The only “downside” is being able to use town clothes in combat, which frankly doesn’t seem like a big deal at all.

Posted by: TheDocSays.7628

TheDocSays.7628

I agree, town clothing should be a freebie introductory outfit to introduce everyone to the concept.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah, I agree with this as well.

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Not sure who thought that the tonics would be a good idea. Fully support the town clothes being made into outfits. At least then I could color them to what I want.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’ve been wanting this since they revamped town clothes.

Frankly, no one likes the tonics. They’re even more narrow and unfriendly to use than the town clothes were to begin with, and seeing as town clothes got the boot as a system, that tells you something about how terrible town clothes-as-tonics are.

You can’t dye them, you can’t mix them, you can’t fight in them. And you can’t wear them for more than fifteen minutes without reapplying them. And they take up inventory space. And only one character can use them at a time.

I have nothing positive to say about them, except that Anet offered refunds for the pieces that got the tonic treatment. Which, in the case of the default town clothes (which I rather liked,) means no upside at all.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: GammaBreaker.9102

GammaBreaker.9102

IIRC, weren’t the town clothes nixed as an outfit because of clipping issues with combat animations?

I’d like to have them back as both an outfit and wardrobe pieces, but I’d take an outfit for starters. Tonics are a bunk replacement.

Redenaz.8631

If that’s the case, GammaBreaker, I’ve never heard anyone mention it. I can’t seriously imagine the basic town clothes being more clip-inducing than the Mad King outfit or Wintersday outfit.

I used to occasionally use Elementalist conjured weapons in (original-style) town clothes for fun, since town clothes didn’t disable skills 8-10, or bundle-based skills. That’s just a subset of the full range of animations, but I don’t see how they’d clip any worse than other outfits or armor.

Posted by: Entrea Sumatae.7830

Entrea Sumatae.7830

Pretty much any argument you could make against having town clothes as an outfit can be made against having outfits as a whole. They clip strangely, they hide what armor class you’re wearing, and they don’t look combat-appropriate. At least the basic town clothes set would make a lot of sense as an outfit, or at least as much sense as, say, the Fancy Winter stuff. It does still leave a question of how to best add the extra pieces that were bought individually, but it’s at least something.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Yea, another feature that was “improved” upon.

I have not worn my town clothes since they made it a topic, I used to have a lovely colour scheme and wore it occasionally. Since the change the tonic sits in my bank gathering dust.

I miss mix and matching my outfit plus dying my clothes, we need the hero panel reworked to include the tonics and give us more customization options.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: GammaBreaker.9102

GammaBreaker.9102

Pretty much any argument you could make against having town clothes as an outfit can be made against having outfits as a whole. They clip strangely, they hide what armor class you’re wearing, and they don’t look combat-appropriate. At least the basic town clothes set would make a lot of sense as an outfit, or at least as much sense as, say, the Fancy Winter stuff. It does still leave a question of how to best add the extra pieces that were bought individually, but it’s at least something.

This is what really boggled me about it. All I can think of is that it came down to whether or not it would be a profitable use of development time to make the adjustments for Town Clothes to be an outfit or wardrobe skins instead of simple tonics. It may be more complicated than that, but we’ll probably never know.

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

Town Clothes as a suit, not outfit. You can custom each piece with suits, you can’t with outfits.

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Redenaz.8631

When you say “suit,” Vegeta, I assume you mean individual armor skins?

That’s not going to happen, unfortunately, because armor skins of different weights generally aren’t compatible with each other, for reasons to do with the way the character models are set up. Converting hat town clothes to armor skins is one thing, but it simply wouldn’t work to make, say, the Leather Hoodie into a standalone chest piece.

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Town Clothes as a suit, not outfit. You can custom each piece with suits, you can’t with outfits.

Well I think this would be ideal and certainly my preference if possible. However the mixing and matching sounded like it was problematic.

So I’d be happy with a compromise, of a town clothes outfit rather than individual pieces.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

They need to turn ALL of the Clothing Tonics into Outfits. Not just the Basic set. And you are right… they need to start giving out the Basic set again to starting characters for free.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

/signed

Clipping is already an issue in the game – a little more clipping is better than forcing these stupid tonics on us.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Tonics? What tonics? Oh right… Those tonics!

Maybe if they do this, they regain some players and calm down some others

/signed

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet