Toypocalypse is far too easy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dawnbreaker.6215

Dawnbreaker.6215

Toypocalypse is so easy to do, it’s so easy that has made me feel depressed after each game, because I actually like tower defense games and I wanted this to be fun. It has so much potential but it’s just far too easy.

Even if you argue that it’s meant to be family friendly and that anyone should be able to participate, it’s still too dumbed down. You don’t need any thinking at all, you can literaly place catapults at random and you’ll still win, because 1 or 2 shots from those catapults wipe out whole enemy groups as soon as they spawn. Even a 3 year old child playing this without any idea of what he’s doing would still win every single game.

I mean I know we’re already halfway through this Wintersday but still couldn’t we at least get a hard more or something?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You wont get any changes this year. The devs are on holiday and it takes time to make even seemingly small upgrades.

I’m not overly fussed about it being a cake walk to be honest since it is meant to be light hearted fun and nothing more. However, I wouldn’t object to selecting a “tier” from the outside. The only issue is, finding groups would be very problematic as there may be few ppl doing one tier versus another. It would require them finding a way round the issue of being able to use pre-formed teams, and we know that’s a huge piece of work for them and may never get fixed.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This is actually the first year I haven’t seen people complaining that it’s too hard. We normally get at least one topic about it going to fast and at least one saying the instructions aren’t clear, and then some people saying they need pre-made groups because they keep being put with people who can’t do it.

I still see a lot of new people in-game and on the forum so I don’t think it’s that everyone has done it before. Maybe since HoT people are more prepared for things needing special tactics and figuring it out?

Either way I don’t think a hard mode would be a bad idea, as long as the rewards were the same. Maybe more presents but no exclusive items so no one is pressured to do it. I find toypocalypse boring, but that’s because once you’ve got a basic defense you’re just topping it up until the game is over so maybe a hard mode would be more fun.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I think the festivals will never be hard because to have to be including ‘everyone’
and by everyone they mean even people born without limbs need to have enough time to do it.

what would fix it, is a difficulty setting:

Tixx: I’m gonna reactivate the production core. Let me know how much you can handle. Supply line has three settings; slow, normal and fast.

(public vote like they used in dungeons)

Tixx: alright gonna crank open the supply lines, be ready!

Dawnbreaker.6215

I think the festivals will never be hard because to have to be including ‘everyone’
and by everyone they mean even people born without limbs need to have enough time to do it.

Tixx: I’m gonna reactivate the production core. Let me know how much you can handle. Supply line has three settings; slow, normal and fast.

This is so easy that not even that argument works here. A 3 year old would get bored doing this minigame. You can literaly place catapults in the same place you salvage the scraps and it will still work. The only way you can lose at this minigame is either if you do absolutely nothing or if you place only balistas at some lost corner of the map.

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

I’d be okay with a harder difficulty for higher rewards. Similar to how SAB has normal mode and tribulation mode

Posted by: CedarDog.9723

CedarDog.9723

This is so easy that not even that argument works here. A 3 year old would get bored doing this minigame. You can literaly place catapults in the same place you salvage the scraps and it will still work. The only way you can lose at this minigame is either if you do absolutely nothing or if you place only balistas at some lost corner of the map.

I agree, they should make it so you can form 10 man squads and make it a raid.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I’d be happy if it got just the following changes:

• A counter for how many items you can place down out of a clear total. As you get near it, it grows bigger and turns red, possibly starts flashing if you place down more siege. I’m tired of people who won’t listen to me in team chat continue to place down new crap even while the old, upgraded stuff is disappearing in front of their eyes. Replacing a mega cat with a regular one is a downgrade, why the kitten would anyone do that?
  • Delete the objects with the lowest health first if you have surpassed the siege cap. Same as above, I’m tired of people just placing down dozens of new objects every round, and they end up deleting my upgraded snowmen, catapults, and few ice walls that are near full health instead of deleting (or, gasp upgrading) some first tier siege that is almost dead.

Making it harder could be fun, but honestly after the first few times I only do this for the daily when it comes up so I don’t mind it being easy. To me, its not worth my time unless the rewards were buffed.

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

• A counter for how many items you can place down out of a clear total. As you get near it, it grows bigger and turns red, possibly starts flashing if you place down more siege. I’m tired of people who won’t listen to me in team chat continue to place down new crap even while the old, upgraded stuff is disappearing in front of their eyes. Replacing a mega cat with a regular one is a downgrade, why the kitten would anyone do that?
  • Delete the objects with the lowest health first if you have surpassed the siege cap. Same as above, I’m tired of people just placing down dozens of new objects every round, and they end up deleting my upgraded snowmen, catapults, and few ice walls that are near full health instead of deleting (or, gasp upgrading) some first tier siege that is almost dead.

Making it harder could be fun, but honestly after the first few times I only do this for the daily when it comes up so I don’t mind it being easy. To me, its not worth my time unless the rewards were buffed.

I genuinely did not know there was a siege cap for this, thank you for the information!

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Can we even speak to eachother in toypocalypse.
Never got a respons from anyone and its not like its your group like in trixx.

Dawnbreaker.6215

I genuinely did not know there was a siege cap for this, thank you for the information!

If there is one it’s so big I didn’t even notice it either, I’ve placed toys all over the place and didn’t notice them disappearing.

It actually takes more effort to lose this game than to win it.

OriOri.8724

@Linken – Yea, I’ve had conversations in Toypocalypse before, but you have to use team chat or say chat instead of party chat since you aren’t in a party.

@Dawnbreaker – It is a rather large limit, but that doesn’t make it any less annoying when upgraded siege is destroyed because someone wants to build a new, T1 snowman somewhere.

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

The jumping puzzle is too hard. The music thing is something I have zero interest in doing. I like the fact that this is a brainless activity that I don’t have to work so hard to get it done, farm some presents, get the daily done. We have to do three winter activities each day and they rotate them, considering there are three I don’t like to do making the remaining ones harder really makes zero sense to me. Perhaps if they let you choose the scale so you could have more difficulty would be a good compromise. There are a ton of people that do the lower scale fractals so get their dailies done as quickly as possible… not content where they might actually die.

OriOri.8724

@Ophidia – Toypocalypse is separate from Bell Choir and the JP. As to your concerns however, one of the wintersday dailies is always to open 4 presents, which you can get for free (Tixx gives you one each day if you talk to him in Divinity’s Reach, and the 3 Wintersday Trees give 1 gift each). Usually another one of the options is to donate wrapped gifts to 15 orphans (which is only half of them, and there are guides up if you don’t know where they are), and you can buy all of the necessary items to obtain the wrapped gifts with 20-25 silver and a bit of karma (which you easily get back when donating the gifts to the orphans). After that, one of the remaining ones will always include either

• Build 5 snowmen from the magic snow piles
  • Hit 10 skritt with snowballs (annoying, but easy enough to do)
  • Make a donation to Ho-HoTron in Divinity’s Reach (requires 1 copper to complete)
  • Participate in Bell Choir
  • Hit 3 players with snowballs

All of those are easy, and none of them require completion of the JQ.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

@Linken – Yea, I’ve had conversations in Toypocalypse before, but you have to use team chat or say chat instead of party chat since you aren’t in a party.

@Dawnbreaker – It is a rather large limit, but that doesn’t make it any less annoying when upgraded siege is destroyed because someone wants to build a new, T1 snowman somewhere.

Upgrading siege is unnecessary. Three basic level catapults do more damage than a fully upgraded one. Your goal is to get as much catapults out there to do enough AoE damage that the waves dies before they get to middle if they don’t just die as they spawn.

Ayrilana.1396

The jumping puzzle is too hard. The music thing is something I have zero interest in doing. I like the fact that this is a brainless activity that I don’t have to work so hard to get it done, farm some presents, get the daily done. We have to do three winter activities each day and they rotate them, considering there are three I don’t like to do making the remaining ones harder really makes zero sense to me. Perhaps if they let you choose the scale so you could have more difficulty would be a good compromise. There are a ton of people that do the lower scale fractals so get their dailies done as quickly as possible… not content where they might actually die.

They nerfed the jumping puzzle so it’s the easiest that it’s ever been.

There’s nothing wrong with the available choices simply because you decided that there’s some you do not like to do.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

when it’s to hard ppl say they suck, when it’s to easy ppl complain it should be harder…..making the cycle complete.

IMO event things should be fun, not hard.

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

I don’t mind that it’s easy, but it can be dull, maybe just in that it goes on too long.

I think the problem with toypocalypse is that the only potentially difficult part is at the very beginning, if there might not be more than a person or two on the map and you’re determined to keep all the dolyaks alive. Past that, there’s no challenge unless you’re trying to build something artistic and Toxx comes along, or if people keep placing siege and you’re over the limit, so your artistic efforts start disappearing. I usually just end up picking up a cap rifle and trying to shoot stuff, but it’s often dead before I get close enough. So then, if there’s no point in placing new siege because siege is disappearing, no point in upgrading because you’re overpowered anyway, and no real point in trying to kill stuff yourself because you’re too late and there’s no reward for it anyway, then you might as well stand around and do nothing. Which maybe isn’t the best game design.

I can’t really think of a good way to make it a steadier level of challenge, though.

I would like to see a counter that would show # placed siege/# max siege. Whether stuff is upgraded or not, it’s silly to be running around placing stuff if you’re just making something else disappear at the same time. Talk about spinning your wheels.

Posted by: pholtos.9751

pholtos.9751

I’m of the agreement that it’s way too dull.

I build up two sets of 3 or so max catapults and 2 max snowmen and then I look around and the map is littered with catapults and walls and snowmen and ballistas and I basically spend the next half hour sleeping on top of an ice wall except when toxx comes along.

I basically only play it when there’s a daily involved with it cause it just takes way too long and the stuff setup basically takes care of everything.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

The whole festival needs an update. The whole thing is boring. I was done after the first day. It’s needs to be freshened up a bit. It’s still better than the lunar festival though.

Ayrilana.1396

The only way to make it challenging would be to add a counter on the screen so you know how many sieve you have out and then impose a much lower cap. This then forces players to strategize more than just simply dropping catapults everywhere.

Currently there is zero need to play defensively as spamming catapults allow you kill many of the waves instantly. If the number of siege was reduuced, other siege such as the ice walls would regain a more useful purpose.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

This game has been dumbed down with HoT big time. It has been on decline even long before that but that was the nail in the coffin. All bosses now have breakbars (Toxx as well), you can’t really interrupt whatever they’re doing unless you are able to take the breakbar down. I think I have been able to interrupt Toxx before, but I might be wrong as it’s been a while. Balance is also completely out of control but we’ve always had this odd complaint thread in which someone wanted to be significantly stronger as a 80 in a low level zone – and this has now come true. PvE holds no challenge anywhere. Not even raids. This game is now designed for casuals who buy and drop the game. Sorry.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Toypocalypse is fine as it is. There is no argument regarding the amount of loot you get either, unless you want to nerf the JP as well, since it is the highest level of loot per hour for the wintersday events.

The only change that is needed for Toypocoalypse is to allow parties to play in the same instance.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

~snip~

This game is now designed for casuals who buy and drop the game. Sorry.

Wow, that’s a huge brush you’re painting with.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

If there is one it’s so big I didn’t even notice it either, I’ve placed toys all over the place and didn’t notice them disappearing.

It gets very noticable when you have 2 players trying to build forts away from the center. Princess Doll Hamlet, Citadel Hill and the Rata Sum maze are popular for their terrain advantages; and you’ll quickly notice Catapults on the Opposite side disappearing, because one guy has 20 catas on the same hill.

OriOri.8724

This game has been dumbed down with HoT big time. It has been on decline even long before that but that was the nail in the coffin. All bosses now have breakbars (Toxx as well), you can’t really interrupt whatever they’re doing unless you are able to take the breakbar down. I think I have been able to interrupt Toxx before, but I might be wrong as it’s been a while. Balance is also completely out of control but we’ve always had this odd complaint thread in which someone wanted to be significantly stronger as a 80 in a low level zone – and this has now come true. PvE holds no challenge anywhere. Not even raids. This game is now designed for casuals who buy and drop the game. Sorry.

So breakbars, which you actually have to try to break and cannot always break with a simple weapon interrupt, are more braindead than being able to use any interrupt skill on your bar to interrupt any attack, at any time? Ok then…

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

It gets very noticable when you have 2 players trying to build forts away from the center. Princess Doll Hamlet, Citadel Hill and the Rata Sum maze are popular for their terrain advantages; and you’ll quickly notice Catapults on the Opposite side disappearing, because one guy has 20 catas on the same hill.

Why do you build forts? Just for the heck of it?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Why do you build forts? Just for the heck of it?

Its actually a heavily conditioned habit most gamers have………….. higher density = better performance. We stack in dungeons, we focus fire, we have AOE ranges, we try to keep enemies in clusters to take advantage of splash attacks.

The problem isn’t that Forts are a bad tactic….. its that players don’t realize they need coverage on 3 sides, and load too much of a limited resource into one area. 3 forts (if coordinated well) can kill waves faster by lowering the travel time of Cata shots. But the way pugs do this is extremely haphazard; and their constant building is causing them to fight each other to keep defenses up.

I’ve even ran across player, who after 3 years of holiday events, didn’t even realize that you upgrade defenses by using materials. Others didn’t realize upgraded weapons did more damage. And most still don’t know you can regen health by standing next to the center.

Because a couple of knowledge players are able to compensate for the bulk of newbie mistakes, it doesn’t impact the mode’s success rate, and thus most players are never forced to learn those mechanics to succeed. Compare that to Raids, where farting at the wrong moment causes a full wipe; or even world events where non-attrition based objectives are usually what causes them to fail. (I’m looking at you Teq scales)

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Answer : No thank you. Hard does not equal fun, believe it or not.

Ayrilana.1396

Answer : No thank you. Hard does not equal fun, believe it or not.

To you it may not. Not everyone finds the same things to be fun. There are those that find being challenged to be more fun that being given braindead content.

Jana.6831

So breakbars, which you actually have to try to break and cannot always break with a simple weapon interrupt, are more braindead than being able to use any interrupt skill on your bar to interrupt any attack, at any time? Ok then…

Yes they are – it’s pretty obvious, is it not? If doing PvP you have to look at your enemy and read their movements/montions – that used to be true for a lot (not all) mobs before the breakbars, now you have a gigantic “whatever the mob does doesn’t matter as long as the breakbar is up”.
Want more explanation?
The bar itself is pretty good as I used to interrupt in the wrong moment because I didn’t have a look at the defiance stacks, but too many mobs have a breakbar now.

Jana.6831

~snip~

Look at your friends, follower, blocklist and tell me how empty they are. (rhetorical)
This game is no fun anymore as there’s nothing to accomplish as everything is just too easy.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

HoT powercreep is a myth you have no idea what you’re talking about. Clearly it’s all in your head that it’s too easy because you’re just amazing at the game.

/s

OriOri.8724

~snip~

Look at your friends, follower, blocklist and tell me how empty they are. (rhetorical)
This game is no fun anymore as there’s nothing to accomplish as everything is just too easy.

If the game is so easy and boring then why are you still here?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

~snip~

My friends list is full off white names. My three guilds are so active, I sometimes have a hard time choosing which one to run with. I have no shortage of things to do in this game, and everywhere I go, there are other players doing things.

I have a lot of fun with this game, I’m sorry you’re not.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.