Tradeable Legendary Items - Discontinued

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Harry the Hobo.3407

Harry the Hobo.3407

I wanted to site the below statement from the October 12th news posted on the guildwars website and speculate, and see if A-Net may be able to respond to a concern that I think many players will have, a concern that would have 1000’s of gold for many people at stake.

“The acquisition of precursors in future legendary weapon sets will—like most things about new legendary weapons—be mostly the same as the ones in our first set, but with adjustments. The two differences here are that all precursors for future sets will only be acquired through the precursor crafting journey, and unlike existing precursors, future precursors will not be dropped anywhere in the game”

What is interesting about this, as you have seen in this game with Halloween skins (see Ghastly Grinning Shield Skin worth 2100-3k gold as of today on TP) discontinued items will indefinitely become more and more rare and never stop increasing in value. Being that legendary weapon precursors will be crafted and never again dropped, the tradeable version will become incredibly rare incredibly fast (already rare as most precursors get used instantly).

What I wanted to see what people thought, would you anticipate a near future skyrocketing in a legendary precursor just for the sake of it being rare although it has no appreciable value greater than what people will be able to craft?

My thoughts…discontinued/rare items will always be valuable as the bottom line. If A-Net might be able to chime in if the currently tradeable versions will become account bound at launch of pre-cursor crafting or if they will remain tradeable indefinitely that will certainly change whether I hold pre-cursors that I have now or sell them in the immediate future.

I think this is a fair question to have ANet address as I am sure there are several people like myself if they have a sellable precursor that would want to know if it will become 0 value outside of crafting after the 23rd of this month.

Signed,

Harry The Hobo

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

The pre-HoT legendary’s will still be there in the same exact way as they are now. They are NOT going away AT ALL!!!!

They are just adding more legendary’s and changing how to get them. Instead of waiting on the RNG god or farming huge amounts of gold to buy the precursor you now have a legendary journey to go on to get the legendary weapon.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The precursors for current legendaries will continue to drop. It is only the new legendaries, to be released in HoT, that will be untradeable.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe current precursors will continue to drop. The new precursors won’t drop, but Dusk, The Legend, etc. will still drop and be tradeable, along with the new collection-based acquisition.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Harry the Hobo.3407

Harry the Hobo.3407

I interpreted that differently but makes sense when rereading it a few times.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

has it been said that the new legendaries themselves will be bound on acquisition, or only the new precursors?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I figure old precursor prices will go down rather significantly since everyone will be saving their mats for the new upcoming legendaries and will largely no longer buy old precursors.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

I figure old precursor prices will go down rather significantly since everyone will be saving their mats for the new upcoming legendaries and will largely no longer buy old precursors.

Depends entirely on how “cool” the new ones are I guess. If they look awful, the old ones will still be favored. Some of the new ones are still neat looking regardless of what new ones come in.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

has it been said that the new legendaries themselves will be bound on acquisition, or only the new precursors?

They would have to be bound wouldn’t they? Otherwise you could sell them – which ANet have stated they don’t want happening.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

This was covered months ago. It’s common knowledge at this point that the current market for over priced junk isn’t changing. If you want to buy and sell precursors and the original set of legendaries that’s still available. If you think it’s bunk and don’t want to do that you can instead get them all through masteries, but anything you get through masteries will be untradable.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They would have to be bound wouldn’t they? Otherwise you could sell them – which ANet have stated they don’t want happening.

The new ones are not tradable

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/
We also want to better preserve the prestige associated with crafting a legendary weapon, so the new legendary weapons, and their precursors, will not be tradable. Keep an eye out—we can’t wait to start showing them off when they’re ready!

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

New legendaries and new precursors, will be account bound

Old precursors will still drop and be trade-able (Twice Told Legend Achievement requires 2 legendaries of the same name), and old crafted legendarie will still be trade-able when crafted. If anything this will probably cause the old ones to drop in price because the old precursors- unless going for twice told legend- can now be earned as well at least once instead of relying on RNGesus.