Trading Post : A method of Gold Selling ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

just look at this item : https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/45747-Assassins-Masquerade-Gloves

there are many more item like this circulating in trading post. highly suspicious if you ask me. i’m sure this way of gold transaction has been going on for a long time. did Anet notice ? no action can be taken since it is free TP anyone can put whatever price ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It may be completely innocent – someone got one when there were no sell listings so they had to guess at what it’s worth and massively over-estimated (this happens a lot in other games where there isn’t a universal trade system and therefore no easy price check). Or they knew it wasn’t worth that but were hoping to catch a naive buyer.

Or it could be a gold seller. Apparently they will do this sometimes (the buyer lists an item that rarely sells for the amount of gold they’ve purchased + fees and the gold seller buys it).

There’s really no way for us to tell but if you report it to Anet via the Support link or emailing exploits@arena.net they can investigate and take action if necessary.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m personally having trouble seeing a non gold selling rationale behind the multiple hundreds of gold transactions for this item. 10 sold for 347 gold each?

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/45747-Assassins-Masquerade-Gloves

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Thinking it over. I don’t think it’s s good way to transfer gold from gold seller to gold buyer. There’s too many ways to go wrong. However it could be a someone transferring gold from a botting/hacked account to a main account through the trading post. Gold sent that way isn’t part of the 500 gold/week cap.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

just look at this item : https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/45747-Assassins-Masquerade-Gloves

there are many more item like this circulating in trading post. highly suspicious if you ask me. i’m sure this way of gold transaction has been going on for a long time. did Anet notice ? no action can be taken since it is free TP anyone can put whatever price ?

Of course action can be taken, since ANet can (and does) look at price discrepancies like that, research the sellers and the buyers, and determine if they’ve found a way for people to launder illicit wealth.

Another possibility: someone trying to take advantage of that small fraction of flippers who look at today’s buy|sell prices, ignoring velocity and historical prices or as you say.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

Thinking it over. I don’t think it’s s good way to transfer gold from gold seller to gold buyer. There’s too many ways to go wrong. However it could be a someone transferring gold from a botting/hacked account to a main account through the trading post. Gold sent that way isn’t part of the 500 gold/week cap.

gold sellers really dont have any problem getting more gold, a trading post bot alone can make hundreds gold a week not even speaking of direct farm/gathering botting so if something goes wrong their gold supply wont really notice it

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

Just a flesh wound.3589

gold sellers really dont have any problem getting more gold, a trading post bot alone can make hundreds gold a week not even speaking of direct farm/gathering botting so if something goes wrong their gold supply wont really notice it

No doubt.

However gold sent through the mail triggers scrutiny by ANet where purchases or sales in the Trading Post do not. Also gold sent through the mail from another account goes toward the 500 gold/week cap while gold from the Trading Post does not.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

It could also be an innocent trade between friends or a persons own accounts, though not sure of the likelihood. But it could easily be someone wanting to loan gold to a friend or transfer to second account that they own, mail has a limit you can send in one week, so they may be listing a random item for really high knowing only their friend or themselves would complete the purchase. Not very efficient for an innocent player, but probably.

Just a possibility, something for anet to decide really.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Its a pretty poor way of selling gold , given the TP takes 15% of the sale price.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Its a pretty poor way of selling gold , given the TP takes 15% of the sale price.

Not if you can undercut Anet and stick the 15% to the buyer … I mean, think about how the transaction works … the buyer would have to post the item, so if the seller doesn’t see the item for the price they told the buyer to list it, they don’t have to buy the item to transfer the gold.

And I’m also pretty sure the Goldseller won’t buy the item until they get their money so … Besides, there are triggers I’m sure. I mean, what item seller would list such items and see them sold so fast for the ridiculous prices they are up for? I think if Anet has the resources, finding these people is really easy.

azizul.8469

even at 15% lost, their price is waaayyy cheaper than gems→ gold conversion and can still make profit. not to say that i support goldseller, but when they have abundance of gold 15% tax is puny for a safe, secure, unlimited and undetectable transaction….

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

even at 15% lost, their price is waaayyy cheaper than gems-> gold conversion and can still make profit. not to say that i support goldseller, but when they have abundance of gold 15% tax is puny for a safe, secure, unlimited and undetectable transaction….

ANet definitely tracks TP gold selling stuff, some guy on reddit made a post a few months ago about his item+gold being confiscated because an item he sold was bought by a gold seller.

So it’s not really undetectable.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

azizul.8469

even at 15% lost, their price is waaayyy cheaper than gems-> gold conversion and can still make profit. not to say that i support goldseller, but when they have abundance of gold 15% tax is puny for a safe, secure, unlimited and undetectable transaction….

ANet definitely tracks TP gold selling stuff, some guy on reddit made a post a few months ago about his item+gold being confiscated because an item he sold was bought by a gold seller.

i meant not the way gold transaction is flagged like the mailed gold. that reddit guy probably had his trade unluckily reported for being suspicious….

Posted by: silverthorn.8415

silverthorn.8415

could just be friends trying to transfer gold between themselves, about a month ago i was trying to help a friend make a legendary and had to try and get the gold to them via buying/selling things on the trading post due to the weekly limit on mailing gold

Illconceived Was Na.9781

i meant not the way gold transaction is flagged like the mailed gold. that reddit guy probably had his trade unluckily reported for being suspicious….

Probably not. It’s much more likely that ANet’s counter-bot software will notice suspicious TP transactions than that a random player will .

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

Not if you can undercut Anet and stick the 15% to the buyer … I mean, think about how the transaction works … the buyer would have to post the item, so if the seller doesn’t see the item for the price they told the buyer to list it, they don’t have to buy the item to transfer the gold.

And I’m also pretty sure the Goldseller won’t buy the item until they get their money so … Besides, there are triggers I’m sure. I mean, what item seller would list such items and see them sold so fast for the ridiculous prices they are up for? I think if Anet has the resources, finding these people is really easy.

RMT sites take care of the TP tax from what I have seen. They simply include the lost value in their base prices as one of their expenses.

I’m personally having trouble seeing a non gold selling rationale behind the multiple hundreds of gold transactions for this item. 10 sold for 347 gold each?

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/45747-Assassins-Masquerade-Gloves

Pretty sure you are right. The gold selling sites take care of the tax as well as the initial price. Buyer sets it up and they buy it off the TP. They moved 300g to be exact.

300g * 1,15 (5% listing fee + 10% transfer fee) + 2g (actual item price) = 347g

(edited by Henry.5713)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

could just be friends trying to transfer gold between themselves, about a month ago i was trying to help a friend make a legendary and had to try and get the gold to them via buying/selling things on the trading post due to the weekly limit on mailing gold

Wouldn’t it have been easier to buy mats and ship those to your buddy? Or was it for the precursor? (in which case, why not use one of the common currency-substitutes, such as ecto?)

Posted by: silverthorn.8415

silverthorn.8415

Wouldn’t it have been easier to buy mats and ship those to your buddy? Or was it for the precursor? (in which case, why not use one of the common currency-substitutes, such as ecto?)

Yeah, it was for the precursor, and we did end up buying and selling ectos Just annoying how much gold you waste having to do that.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

Couldn’t you just have put mats or money into a shared area like a guild bank?
There may also be restrictions around that, I’m not sure.
Seems like for mats it would be ideal tho.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Wouldn’t everyone be prevented from buying that item since there are several items in line before it?

Server: Devona’s Rest

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Yeah, it was for the precursor, and we did end up buying and selling ectos Just annoying how much gold you waste having to do that.

So it sounds as if the scenario was something like this:

• Friend wants a precursor valued at e.g. 700 gold more than they can afford.
  • Benefactor wants to send 700g, but friend is limited to picking up 500g/week.

In the friend’s case, I would have waited the extra week or two. In the benefactor’s case, I would have asked the friend to ship their gold, bought the precursor, and shipped it to the friend. If that wasn’t acceptable, I would have shipped an easier-to-exchange substitute currency, such as ecto.

Using low-velocity/high-priced items works, but it’s full of risks (some noted above) and doesn’t result in any substantive savings, especially since anyone market-savvy enough to find such items can figure out how when to buy/sell the substitute currency.

Posted by: Discoteka.2758

Discoteka.2758

I’ve seen this method used in other games by gold sellers. ArcheAge for one.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wouldn’t everyone be prevented from buying that item since there are several items in line before it?

There aren’t always lower priced items. In the case of people using these items to shift hundreds of gold around they may wait for the low priced items to sell or they may buy them and chalk it up to expenses.

ANet may give it to you.

azizul.8469

goldseller wouldn’t have problem buying up those items . what is few golds compare to the thousands they are trying to transfer….. puny…

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Where are the Goldsellers getting thousands of gold from to sell?
If its from the TP, then what are they selling?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Where are the Goldsellers getting thousands of gold from to sell?
If its from the TP, then what are they selling?

Hacking then stripping accounts. Then using methods like these to transfer gold from the hacked account to a safe account. Also, botting. Using bots to gather mats to sell for gold. If possible they also use bank/credit card fraud to buy gems with stolen financial information then sell the gems to buy gold which they then sell to people buying gold from goldsellers.

ANet may give it to you.