Trading Post - Ancient bids / orders

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I just wondered,

What would people think if Anet is going to introduce some sort off mechanism that would remove buy / sell orders after 3-6 months of posting and aren’t completed.

With the item / initial fee’s refunded to the player trough Mail?

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Would be nice to have the bids removed that are below sale price (thick leather >.>)

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Why would Anet do that?
People would just use the Trading Post as free storage, if listing fees are refunded.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Probably to unclog the bloated system. Since the demand for that supply isn’t there, or for the charged amount, it could be automatically removed after a given time. Maybe allow the players to set the amount of time?

Regardless, it’s an interesting suggestion, but you can do this already, in a way, if you look at your own transactions. tab.

The listing should show the amount of time on it. If it’s too long, you can then cancel it and do as you like. Of course, I don’t know how much merchandise you’re selling, so some scrolling might be involved.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Or they implement a better use for those items (which they’ve been doing actually), so they have more value and therefore move out of the market naturally.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

Personally, I’d like them to remove the buy orders that are for less than vendor value, as you can’t place these orders anymore.

Guardian of Angels.9867

I’m not in need of such a function, though I’ve come across rares of 50-100g which don’t have anything special compared to their 40s counterpart.

It might also decrease prices overall, as if the market is flooded with “dead” bids / offers the prices will only fluctuate between those two, or a miracle has to happen and the dead bids are bought out etc.

in other words:
These long-time-uncompleted trades keep prices high?

aka Holy Blood Guardian

Wanze.8410

I’m not in need of such a function, though I’ve come across rares of 50-100g which don’t have anything special compared to their 40s counterpart.

It might also decrease prices overall, as if the market is flooded with “dead” bids / offers the prices will only fluctuate between those two, or a miracle has to happen and the dead bids are bought out etc.

in other words:
These long-time-uncompleted trades keep prices high?

Those long time uncompleted listings and buy offers actually keep prices more stable in times of sudden supply or demand changes, so the have a vital economical function.

If buy orders or sell listings would be automatically removed after a certain amount of time, it would lead to less supply and demand on the tp and the values would be clustered around the actual value of the item in recent history.
Once demand or supply changes (mostly due to new updates that require a certain item to complete or added supply by the mayority of players farming the same loot),
there will be less (old) buy orders and listings that are placed lower and higher of the current market value, which leads to higher price spikes or faster progression towards vendor value.

Both is not desirable for the mayority of the player base.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I am of the opinion that players bank supply if more of a deterrent to spikes. If those bids listings were removed it’s not like those item disappear. They will still be available to pounce on spikes and more likely to do so as improper listings would actually have some ramification.

Also the tp does serve as free storage as no losses are incurred until an item is removed. Perfect examples of this are black lion weapon skins. You can buy them for 70g ish when they are one ticket and immediately list them for sale at twice the price knowing that they will eventually sell due to game mechanics and not have to worry or pay for storing the items.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Wanze.8410

I am of the opinion that players bank supply if more of a deterrent to spikes. If those bids listings were removed it’s not like those item disappear. They will still be available to pounce on spikes and more likely to do so as improper listings would actually have some ramification.

Also the tp does serve as free storage as no losses are incurred until an item is removed. Perfect examples of this are black lion weapon skins. You can buy them for 70g ish when they are one ticket and immediately list them for sale at twice the price knowing that they will eventually sell due to game mechanics and not have to worry or pay for storing the items.

But for players bank storage to effectively counter price spikes, they have to be online (an aware) during that time. Many old listings are from inactive (or banned) accounts.
If Anet would send them back to their pick up tab, nobody would be able to buy those.

If you list a black lion skin for 140g, you pay 7 gold listing fee, which is not refunable, so its not free storage.

Essence Snow.3194

I know you have lots of self interest here, but come on….really claiming the listing fee? You’re smarter than that…at least argue something with merit. The listing fee is always there kitten it’s (so it is got filtered?)not increased for listing early so there’s no increase of costs associated with it.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

I think the listing fee is too high anyway, I think they should lower it a bit and put it back on the commission. But agree there should be clear out of illegally low bid offers.

A few other changes to TP would help, those crazy stupid small spin arrows don;t even line up correctly with the mouse pointer, needs fixing and making larger, that’s bad UI.

Wanze.8410

I know you have lots of self interest here, but come on….really claiming the listing fee? You’re smarter than that…at least argue something with merit. The listing fee is always there kitten it’s (so it is got filtered?)not increased for listing early so there’s no increase of costs associated with it.

What self interest do i have then by saying this is a bad idea?

The OP wanted to have old listings returned along with the listing fee, which basically means UNLIMITED storage for anybody.
Please explain how that would benefit the overall health of the game.

Guardian of Angels.9867

The OP wanted to have old listings returned along with the listing fee, which basically means UNLIMITED storage for anybody.

I don’t want it, I was merely sharing my thoughts

aka Holy Blood Guardian

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I just wondered,

What would people think if Anet is going to introduce some sort off mechanism that would remove buy / sell orders after 3-6 months of posting and aren’t completed.

With the item / initial fee’s refunded to the player trough Mail?

Man, i hope not. You know how much Halloween and Wintersday crap i have in the TP right now, that no one will buy (including vendors)? Its obscene, but its not like they give us a way to get rid of it easily, so yeah, bad post. GO AWAY!

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Essence Snow.3194

All the items you have in long term listings are your self interest.

Yes they did, which is why your initial comment about free storage is moot.

Players would be more inclined at list competitively. When sellers compete buyers benefit. Since most desired objects are subject to extreme rng buying becomes the only realistic option.

Wanze.8410

All the items you have in long term listings are your self interest.

Yes they did, which is why your initial comment about free storage is moot.

Players would be more inclined at list competitively. When sellers compete buyers benefit. Since most desired objects are subject to extreme rng buying becomes the only realistic option.

Exactly, being able to get my listed items back along with the listing fee, would benefit me as a trader greatly. I would still list at the prices i list now because i know that a price spike will come soon. If it doesnt come, i get my items back along with the fee, thank you very much.

This would make it way easier for me to only sell while demand is high without any risk of losing my fee, while i buy up stuff for cheap that is high on supply.
The average player will be more inclined to sell directly because he is more afraid of waiting to sell his stuff.

Great theory you crafted there.

Essence Snow.3194

So why even bother bringing it up? They use it as storage now and they’d use it then. You are basically saying your post was not constructive and then saying ty to me for noticing that.

Wanze.8410

So why even bother bringing it up? They use it as storage now and they’d use it then. You are basically saying your post was not constructive and then saying ty to me for noticing that.

Because right now the listing fee is not refundable.
If i list something now at a higher price, i intend to sell it at that price at some point.
If the listing fee gets refunded, i can list items without the intend to sell at that price without any repercussions, which is a mayor difference.

If you cant see the difference between paid storage and free storage, i cant help you.

Posted by: Angelweave.1856

Angelweave.1856

I think it’s a great idea… to stop people using it as free storage can be really simple. After 3 months if you want to keep an item listed you pay an addition 5% of the original listing fee. If you don’t pay the additional fee then you get the items back and no refund on the listing fee.

Essence Snow.3194

I agree with that^^

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Can I ask why this is desirable at all? Or what problem it’s supposed to solve? No one is this thread has actually explained that yet.

Wanze.8410

I think it’s a great idea… to stop people using it as free storage can be really simple. After 3 months if you want to keep an item listed you pay an addition 5% of the original listing fee. If you don’t pay the additional fee then you get the items back and no refund on the listing fee.

5% of the initial listing fee is insignificant. If I list an item for 100g and pay 5 gold listing fee initially, i would rather pay another 25 silver after 3 months to keep it listed than relisting it and paying another full 5% of the relist value.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Can I ask why this is desirable at all? Or what problem it’s supposed to solve? No one is this thread has actually explained that yet.

I think it is a solution in search of a problem. Old listings do no harm to the economy in general or the BLTP. Well, perhaps you could argue old listings use more memory.

Imo, removing old listings would amount to market manipulation on Arenanet’s part. They would be picking and choosing which listings are valid and that is our job. The fact that they invalidate buy orders below npc vendor price is not justification.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I think it is a solution in search of a problem. Old listings do no harm to the economy in general or the BLTP. Well, perhaps you could argue old listings use more memory.

Have to agree that I dont think there is an actual problem here.

I dint think that the memory use works as an argument though. Maybe I am wrong but I think the items would take up comparable memory in the pick up tab.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s more of a problem on the bid side than the supply side since there are lots of bids below current minimums, sometimes representing a large majority of total bids.

Flushing out those bids and returning the coin to player accounts shouldn’t cause any problems since those are “illegal” bids in the first place.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I do agree that old buy orders which are now below the minimum TP sale price should be flushed and the money refunded, as there is no way they can ever be met now, and their presence simply distorts the picture of demand that sellers are presented when they want to sell.

I do not see anything wrong with having supply being listed on the TP for ridiculously high prices that nobody would pay barring some drastic shake-up in the economy.

Wanze.8410

I do agree that old buy orders which are now below the minimum TP sale price should be flushed and the money refunded, as there is no way they can ever be met now, and their presence simply distorts the picture of demand that sellers are presented when they want to sell.

I do not see anything wrong with having supply being listed on the TP for ridiculously high prices that nobody would pay barring some drastic shake-up in the economy.

I think John mentioned once that taking off buy orders below vendor price was something they wanted to do but they didnt come around to do it yet because it has low priority as they dont harm anyone.

And why should they do all the work for those that put in millions of buy orders in order to highlight items on the old most demanded list on the TP?
Let them click themselves, if they want their gold back.

(edited by Wanze.8410)