Trading post: people adding 1c

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

Okay, this is really annoying.

I don’t mind it happening for items that don’t cost too much. But for costly items like 100g+ skins and more, adding just 1c so you can get the auto-buy is just annoying and really feels like trolling sometimes.

Couldn’t we have some kind of tier where like:
Item below 10g > gold, silver, copper available
Item from 10g to 100g > gold, silver available, copper locked
After 100g > only gold available. silver/copper locked

Maybe there’s another way to do it, but come on, if you’re going to spend 100g on a skin, don’t be so cheap about it.

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

…that’s how bidding works. The highest bid wins. Also, definitely not in favor of being forced to spend more money than we should in order to win the bid.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

Why is it annoying? People want to buy the item for the least amount of gold possible. I can’t see why anyone would pay an extra gold if they can be ahead with just one copper

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

When you get outbid by 1c, outbid that person by 1s or 1g. If they aren’t willing to spend that much to outbid you, you’ll get the item.

Deihnyx.6318

A lot of bidding systems actually have a mimimal incremental amount you have to put.
It’s usually done to save time, and it’s what I’m talking about here. It’s annoying to waste time to outbid people who only increment with 1c.

tolunart.2095

A lot of bidding systems actually have a mimimal incremental amount you have to put.
It’s usually done to save time, and it’s what I’m talking about here. It’s annoying to waste time to outbid people who only increment with 1c.

Then buy via sell order, you get the item immediately, there is no “bidding.” Or place a buy order for the maximum you are willing to pay, if someone is willing to pay more then just wait until their buy order is filled and you will be next.

You have the option of buying immediately or being patient. This topic is as old as the TP and the 532nd thread asking for it is not going to have any different result than the preceding 531.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

No. This is how bidding works.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

How, exactly, does being forced to pay more for items benefit me as a bidder? Why should I support this suggestion?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you don’t want to be overbid, then offer more in the first place.

• If you accept the lowest sell offer, you can’t be overbid at all.
  • If your initial bid is greater than halfway between the lowest sell offer and the highest buy offer, you usually won’t be overbid.

Otherwise, your suggestion is basically to give precedence to older, lower offers because somehow “first” is more important than “greatest price”.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Dilligaf Wyt.1867

Dilligaf Wyt.1867

It could also be the seller hoping to kitten you off in order to buy the item at high price. I have several times placed a buy order then someone comes in and places it one copper higher. I remove my bid check it in a couple hours their bid is now gone as well.

I then replace my bid and within 30 minutes there is another bid one copper above mine. I withdraw my offer and within an hour theres us removed to. I repeat the process and there is always one higher. This happens on all the high priced items.

Try it sometime and you will get the same results. It is there way of trying to get you to just buy their item.

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

Majority of the players in Guild Wars 2 are blissfully unaware of trading scripts and third party programs that automate this. Another thing is majority of the players in Guild Wars 2 don’t have the capacity to imagine the consequences of trading scripts and third party programs that automate this. Heck, I’m starting to wonder if arenanet devs have the capacity to imagine the consequences of trading scripts and third party programs that automate this. Or maybe they are allowing trading scripts and third party programs that automate this to inflate the economy to force players to buy gold since earning gold through in game tasks/activities is linear in growth, but the prices keep growing exponentially.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Deihnyx.6318

It could also be the seller hoping to kitten you off in order to buy the item at high price. I have several times placed a buy order then someone comes in and places it one copper higher. I remove my bid check it in a couple hours their bid is now gone as well.

I then replace my bid and within 30 minutes there is another bid one copper above mine. I withdraw my offer and within an hour theres us removed to. I repeat the process and there is always one higher. This happens on all the high priced items.

Try it sometime and you will get the same results. It is there way of trying to get you to just buy their item.

I’m not even surprised that some people do that… That’s another thing you can’t do IRL but is somewhat is ok here, given all the previous answers.

I’m sorry, but for a high priced item, someone adding 1 dollar will be laughed at IRL, not sure why it doesn’t apply here, especially since wasting time counting coppers at TP is time wasted that could be spent actually playing the game… and making easy silvers.

But well, not sure that everyone realizes that time is gold :P

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Majority of the players in Guild Wars 2 are blissfully unaware of trading scripts and third party programs that automate this. Another thing is majority of the players in Guild Wars 2 don’t have the capacity to imagine the consequences of trading scripts and third party programs that automate this. Heck, I’m starting to wonder if arenanet devs have the capacity to imagine the consequences of trading scripts and third party programs that automate this. Or maybe they are allowing trading scripts and third party programs that automate this to inflate the economy to force players to buy gold since earning gold through in game tasks/activities is linear in growth, but the prices keep growing exponentially.

Trading scripts cannot drive prices up more than folks are willing to pay. They do, however, accelerate the rate at which the market reaches an equilibrium in which the lowest sell offer comes within ~20% of the highest buy offer, i.e. the point at which flipping is no longer possible.

I see no evidence of an “exponential growth” in prices while more than a few people are claiming substantially greater per-hour earnings than were available at the peak of dungeon and SW-chest farming days.

I don’t mind people using scripts to create lists of investment opportunities (or items/offers to relist). I would be great if ANet didn’t allow automated placing (or relisting) of orders, but at the moment, I don’t see evidence that this is as big as a problem as implied above.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

There’s a couple of minor items that certainly seem to overbid rather quickly or reset the bid to be +1 of the next highest if bids below it are removed (tired of playing).

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

That’s the thing, the trading post isn’t an auction house. You aren’t bidding for anything. It’s a list of players who want to sell items and players who want to buy items. The system assumes that all players want to buy the cheapest item and sell at the highest possible price.

List the item for the most you’re willing to spend for it or the least you’re willing to accept it for at the time you list it. Then leave it alone for at least a few days/a week or two. Chances are, in a few days, as long as your prices aren’t too high or too low depending on if you’re wanting to buy or sell, you’re orders have been fulfilled. If not, look at the current buy/sell orders. If the price is too different, consider relisting or accepting that it may be a long time before that order is filled.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

This is probably not the seller. This is probably another buyer who is actively watching the item because, well, they want it. I do this, and I do this often.

Suppose I’m trying to buy a Chaos Longbow Skin. If the current highest buy order is 410g, I will place my buy order at 410g00s01c. Then suppose the person who had the 410g order sees mine, and they outbid mine by placing an order for 415g, thinking the 5g jump will scare me off. It doesn’t, so I will then place another buy order at 415g00s01c. Let’s say we go back and forth for a while.

He bids 417g
I bid 417g00s01c
He bids 420g
I bid 420g00s01c
He bids 425g
I bid 425g00s01c

At this point, let’s suppose he gives up and realizes I’m just going to continue overbidding him by one copper at a time. He retracts all of his bids. Now the TP buy order list looks like this:

425g00s01c
420g00s01c
417g00s01c
415g00s01c
410g00s01c

But all of these orders are from me. So I am essentially overbidding myself by 15 gold for absolutely no reason. I will immediately retract all of my bids back down to my lowest initial bid of 410g00s01c. It would be really stupid of me to do otherwise. Why waste the extra gold?

This is just how the system works. If there is an item on the trading post that you really want, place your bid, and then watch it like a hawk until the order is either filled or until someone overbids you, and then overbid them right back. Highest buyer gets the item. Done deal.

Posted by: Dilligaf Wyt.1867

Dilligaf Wyt.1867

Then why retract your bid after i retract mine and put it back up after i relist mine. Wouldnt you just leave your bid until you got it. And you mean to tell me this item becomes so sought after only when i place a bid.

So just to clarify. High price on an item is 129 gold. I place bid at 130 gold. Now someone comes and places a bid 130g and 1c. I retract my bid and within an hour there bid is gone and only the 129 high bid remains. So i again place a bid of 130 gold and within an hour there is a bid of 130 g 1c again. So i retract my bid again.

Guess what within an hour there bid is gone and only the 129 gold high bid remains. I did this off and on for two days and always one person higher. Why is that item only in high demand when i bid on it and then one is sold minutes after i retract my bid. But the high bid is always there at 129 G.

Edited to clarify

(edited by Dilligaf Wyt.1867)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Then why retract your bid after i retract mine and put it back up after i relist mine. Wouldnt you just leave your bid until you got it. And you mean to tell me this item becomes so sought after only when i place a bid.

So just to clarify. High price on an item is 129 gold. I place bid at 130 gold. Now someone comes and places a bid 130g and 1c. I retract my bid and within an hour there bid is gone and only the 129 high bid remains. So i again place a bid of 130 gold and within an hour there is a bid of 130 g 1c again. So i retract my bid again.

Guess what within an hour there bid is gone and only the 129 gold high bid remains. I did this off and on for two days and always one person higher. Why is that item only in high demand when i bid on it and then one is sold minutes after i retract my bid. But the high bid is always there at 129 G.

Edited to clarify

I’ll do that sometimes. Why wouldn’t I want to save a gold if the other person retracts their offer?

tolunart.2095

Probably an automated program that places a bid just over the highest current buy order amount that is not its own. When you remove your order it adjusts to the new highest order. So other players can’t grief it and make the bot pay too much for stuff.

Or a human buyer with a buy order at his preferred price is outbidding you until you give up and stop trying to place the highest buy order so he gets the item instead of waiting. Once you drop out of the race, he deletes the overbid and is left with his original buy order on top.

Besides, there is no real benefit to trying to manipulate you like that to make a sale. If the “bidder” is trying to drive you to buy a sell order, the more likely result is that you’ll give up and come back later to place another bid. The item would sell faster if he lists a sell order between the highest buy/lowest sell amount as a compromise between selling fast and making more money.

If he wants to sell to your buy order, why waste time with a nickel-and-dime bidding war to make a few copper more? Either sell it immediately or place a (slightly higher than your buy) order sell like above. Drawing this out runs the risk of someone else filling your order, or worse filling his buy order leaving him with two items to sell.

Basically, there’s no reason to assume that the bidding war was seller manipulation, and going in that direction is a bit tinfoily.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Edited to clarify

I’ll do that sometimes. Why wouldn’t I want to save a gold if the other person retracts their offer?

Wouldn’t your bid be 129 g 01 c though?

I usually buy and sell at the middle point above the lowest buy off and below the highest sell offer or whichever is what… you know, in the middle area where no one is bidding or selling. It typically avoids all of this if I actually want the item.

(edited by Kentaine.4692)

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

You can relist your buy order without any cost. All it takes is a bit of time, but why should you be the one to get the item first if someone else is willing to pay more? I think the current system works as intended and I am fine with it.

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

1c is such a high value. How can you possibly consider it low cost?
Players nowadays forgot the value of gaming and fun.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I find helpful is to remember that the Trading Post is not an auction.

This isn’t a case of multiple people bidding for a single item which only the highest bid will get. It’s a whole series of potentially independent trades. So the fact that someone has outbid you, by 1c or 1g or 100g doesn’t mean they’ve won and you’ve lost and you will never get your item. It just means they will get the very next one sold and you will have to wait longer.

If waiting is a problem then you have the option to buy the item directly (or accepted the highest offer if selling). Of course that will be a worse trade for you, but you can weigh that against the time taken to wait and/or keep watching the TP and replacing your bid (plus the listing fee if you’re selling) and decide which is the best choice for you.

My, fairly simplistic, system is to put a buy/sell order in, at slightly above the current best offer (sometimes 1-3c, sometimes more, it depends on what I think is a good price) and then wait 15 days. In that time I don’t change my bid, I rarely even look at it, I just carry on playing. In the vast majority of cases I get my items or gold long before that time is up even if I’ve been ‘outbid’ multiple times. If I don’t then I adjust the listing.

Of course I’m not trying to flip trades for profit, I’m just selling what I don’t need and buying what I do. But under those circumstances it works well.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”