Traeharne ?!?

Traeharne ?!?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MarkoNS.3261

MarkoNS.3261

I am shocked to find out that a lot of people dont like Traeharne, besides Tybalt those are the only 2 npc from the main story i like. tell me the reasons you dont like him i am curious.

Ps – Anet dont kill him , if you must kill him give us an option to spare him.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Personally i don’t like him because (summed up):
- Some of the most terrible voice acting i’ve heard in any game. Even picachiew has more depth and feeling then him.
- He quite literally takes credit for everything you do.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

uhm~ I neither hate nor love him. the German voice acting is okay, and he’s not a too annoying character. I liked the mentors more, but he’s still better than Kasmeer.
I don’t really get the hate and I don’t feel he’s taking credit for what the PC did. perhaps that has more to do with the English voice acting than the actual character in the story.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Sir Alric.5078

Sir Alric.5078

I am shocked to find out that a lot of people dont like Traeharne, besides Tybalt those are the only 2 npc from the main story i like. tell me the reasons you dont like him i am curious.

Personally i like him, he’s a good guy.

But most people seems to hate him because he is the leader of the Pact, while the player’s character is only the second in command. Basically, they are jealous of him because they feel he’s undeservedly stealing their spotlight. XD

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

- Some of the most terrible voice acting i’ve heard in any game. Even picachiew has more depth and feeling then him.

Can you give me a single example of where he “takes credit” for anything you’ve done? I ask because looking at the actual dialogue, usually he’s going out of his way to build you up, not knock you down.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

I’ve completed the personal story several times and though I don’t hate Trahearne he is definitely annoying. He runs really slowly and doesn’t seem to offer much help. I’ve lost count of how often I’ve had to run back to a point on the map to fetch Trahearne due to him deciding to just stop moving. Also, he has vanished a few times while in an instance which left me unable to complete as I needed to talk to him to end the instance.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Arahzor.1832

Arahzor.1832

I personally hate Traeharne, i can’t stand him. My ultimate dream would be to be the person to finish him off – for good.

Arahor Aure [DVDF]

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

I’ve completed the personal story several times and though I don’t hate Trahearne he is definitely annoying. He runs really slowly and doesn’t seem to offer much help. I’ve lost count of how often I’ve had to run back to a point on the map to fetch Trahearne due to him deciding to just stop moving. Also, he has vanished a few times while in an instance which left me unable to complete as I needed to talk to him to end the instance.

Yeah, this is my biggest issue. There was one instance where quaggan were fighting their tails off and dying, and he was still standing in the same spot he was when I saved him. If we’re going to have NPCs forced onto us, I at least want them to be helpful in combat.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Scratcherclaw.2713

Scratcherclaw.2713

He pops up out of nowhere and replaces your order mentor, who are some of the most likable characters in the game. Unless you’re a sylvari, you have no idea who he is and just hear everybody talking about how great he is, and then suddenly your mentor is gone and you have this stranger. Also, his voice acting comes across as sounding condescending and unemotional, the opposite as an inspiring leader should sound.

There’s also the issue of the players doing the work, yet he gets the praise and sometimes takes credit for some of the things we do. The main example that sticks out for me is when Trahearne is talking about what to name the fort.
Player: “We are three groups, coming together as one. How about Fort Trinity?”
Later, Trahearne is all " I’ll begin preparing our new headquarters at the Terzetto site, which I have code-named Fort Trinity." No mention that he wasn’t the one who came up with the name.

Some people also feel like the personal story at times is more like Trahearne’s story, namely with A Light in the Darkness.

Oh, and “Clawr” Island.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Can you give me a single example of where he “takes credit” for anything you’ve done? I ask because looking at the actual dialogue, usually he’s going out of his way to build you up, not knock you down.

I finished the personal story for my characters years ago. Don’t expect me to go back and replay it just to give u quotes. All i remember is i hated those 2 things i listed each time i finished the PS. You can go through it yourself and see it.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Oh, I forgot about how Trahearne is first introduced to us on Claw Island. Second time I did the instance I was thinking, ’Leftpaw and I’ll stay here eating apples, then we’ll get everyone to safety. You run on into the fort as the gates are closing. Off you trot Trahearne, we’ll miss you.’

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m just now reached that stage of meeting Trahearne. It is a bit…. abrupt. My mentor just died then I’m introduced to Trahearne. We fight together. We’re now best buds. We be tight. I recommend that he become the boss of us all (because apparently the rest of the people who are supposedly banding together to fight a dragon can’t put their differences aside long enough to select a leader from one of the groups. Which doesn’t exactly inspire me with a lot of confidence in them, but whatever).

It does rather feel like the player character gets pushed aside. The main reason I got that he was to be made boss was because the Pale Tree says it was his destiny and that it was for that reason, mainly, I proposed him as the boss of us all rather than suggesting the head of my order.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

I don’t hate him, but I get why people do. He just wasn’t introduced into the story well at all, unless you play the Sylvari story where you do meet up with him early on. For everyone else, he’s just there when you go to Claw Island, out of nowhere. He also had a lack of emotion around that time too, as well as a knack for having random powers that he’d use once and then never again (5 flesh golems and a shade at the same time…).

Also, Trahearne only ever takes credit for one thing : naming Fort Trinity, even though you and he came up with the name (although, I consider that a slip up in the writing rather than Trahearne being a glory hog, since he isn’t). Other than that, he confides in you for most things and pretty much more or less says later on that they couldn’t have done it without you. Though, with the way the other NPCs congratulate him, it can look like he’s sort of “stealing the spotlight”, but it really doesn’t seem like it’s his intent to do so.

I kinda hope they don’t kill him off/turn him evil, that’d make me feel a little down, seeing as he definitely got better in Season 2…but we’ll just have to see.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Valderius Rex.4108

Valderius Rex.4108

He’s the perfect representation of everything wrong with gw’s “story”. What starts off as a really cool personal narrative based around your character, your background, Nd your choices quickly devolves into Trahere’s story that he so graciously lets you follow around and watch.

He leads the pact and you answer to him.
He gets the legendary sword and you watch.
He purified Orr and you watch.
You kill Zhaitan yet vegetable marry sue is in charge of the mordrem assault…never mind neither he nor his precious pact play hardly any role in season 2.or most of season one.

It’s lazy writing and a failure to deliver on what was promised. Guild Wars 2 asked us, “what is your story?” Then promptly informed us that we could sit on a cactus an rotate because its salad in shining armor was here to take center stage

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I finished the personal story for my characters years ago. Don’t expect me to go back and replay it just to give u quotes. All i remember is i hated those 2 things i listed each time i finished the PS. You can go through it yourself and see it.

It was a rhetoric question. He never “steals your thunder”, unless you are very sensitive or competitive, in which case it would be on your end, not the game’s or Trahearne’s (not saying that you are those things, nor wanting to insult you.)

I’ve replayed the story MANY times, and even from the first time you get to know him during the Sylvari storyline, there’s no place where Trahearne does anything to take credit (he’s quite reserved/the reluctant leader, to be honest.) Funny-speaking, but that makes him interesting, because he’s very different than the other characters by miles (for better or worse depending on who you ask.)

To put it succinctly, I rather be my character than Trahearne, and my characters don’t feel inferior to him just because he’s in charge of the Pact (role-playing wise, the current situation is way easier to envision than the alternative, though being “second in command” is perhaps also too high a position from that point of view.)

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I have a theory, why people hate Trahearne: the game is mainly played by 20-30 year old males which are full of testosterone and want to be or feel like a hero. Since they think Trahearne takes this credit, people hate him.

I like him and don’t think his voice acting is bad.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: MarkoNS.3261

MarkoNS.3261

I have a theory, why people hate Trahearne: the game is mainly played by 20-30 year old males which are full of testosterone and want to be or feel like a hero. Since they think Trahearne takes this credit, people hate him.

I like him and don’t think his voice acting is bad.

i think his voice acting and his demeanour is very good, also i see a lot of complaints about him being in “charge” while its true it doesnt mather to me at all.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

Most can’t fathom the fact that canon wise, there are multiple commanders of the pact (but from your point of view, you were the head commander), and from what I can tell, each one from personal story choices, meaning there were probably 15 heroes at the minimum who met Trahearne and Destiny’s Edge. You (your character) are one of them. If Guild Wars 2 was written as a book, then the first 15 chapters would be about the beginnings or background story of each of those heroes (ie. human poor girl, human rich girl, human orphan daughter of heroes, etc, etc.). And those stories converge, first at the reunion of Destiny’s Edge, then at some other point when the Pact was formed, so maybe that human poor girl went to side with the Order of Whispers, that human orphan to the Vigil, etc. How can that be, how can there be multiple heroes canon wise? That’s just it, all of the paths are canon, and Trahearne is just the recurring character needed to piece together the others’ stories. When you are a Charr, at one point, a device was used in Orr to track down a corruption of Zhaitan. But this device was invented by an Asura hero if you created an Asura and chosen one of the invention paths. How could that be, I’m a Charr, I made a Charr character, I’m the hero, yet who is this asura “hero” you are talking about. 15 HEROES ARE MOVING THE STORY SIMULTANEOUSLY. Guild Wars 2 is a story about 15 heroes in their quest to defeat one of the elder dragons.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

He sounds like MS Sam, and his personality is bland and borders whiny. Was disappointed when he didn’t have to self-sacrifice to cleanse Orr.

Though Logan annoyed me more. His obsession with Jennah was borderline psychotic, he shouldn’t have magically survived.

Traeharne ?!?

Star Ace.5207

Most can’t fathom the fact that canon wise, there are multiple commanders of the pact (but from your point of view, you were the head commander), and from what I can tell, each one from personal story choices, meaning there were probably 15 heroes at the minimum who met Trahearne and Destiny’s Edge. You (your character) are one of them. If Guild Wars 2 was written as a book, then the first 15 chapters would be about the beginnings or background story of each of those heroes (ie. human poor girl, human rich girl, human orphan daughter of heroes, etc, etc.). And those stories converge, first at the reunion of Destiny’s Edge, then at some other point when the Pact was formed, so maybe that human poor girl went to side with the Order of Whispers, that human orphan to the Vigil, etc. How can that be, how can there be multiple heroes canon wise? That’s just it, all of the paths are canon, and Trahearne is just the recurring character needed to piece together the others’ stories. When you are a Charr, at one point, a device was used in Orr to track down a corruption of Zhaitan. But this device was invented by an Asura hero if you created an Asura and chosen one of the invention paths. How could that be, I’m a Charr, I made a Charr character, I’m the hero, yet who is this asura “hero” you are talking about. 15 HEROES ARE MOVING THE STORY SIMULTANEOUSLY. Guild Wars 2 is a story about 15 heroes in their quest to defeat one of the elder dragons.

Very nicely put, and believable RP-wise. Since there are many paths, it’s quite conceivable that other heroes helped the same or other factions in other ways your character didn’t.

Traeharne ?!?

Star Ace.5207

He sounds like MS Sam, and his personality is bland and borders whiny. Was disappointed when he didn’t have to self-sacrifice to cleanse Orr.

Though Logan annoyed me more. His obsession with Jennah was borderline psychotic, he shouldn’t have magically survived.

Now Logan was indeed a character I didn’t like, ever. “Lawful Stoopid” in D&D slang. Wisdom of 6-8. Can’t relate to those who like him (other than being a human?) but to each their own of course.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Oh I have. I went through the story line by line, not only recently, but when people first started saying it. I found NO examples as in zero that Trahearne took credit for anything. Not one.

The only complaint that would fit that criteria is that you do all the work and he becomes leader of the pact. Of course, that’s because you joined an order and he never did, so no order would be elevated in the Pact over another.

If you actually listened to what he said, most of the time, it was that he couldn’t do this without you.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I don’t hate him, but he comes across kind of stilted and zombie like. He’s a firstborn, so his personality should be well developed and nuanced, he’s had 25 years of life experience as an adult, but he comes across as an acorn that just fell off the tree some times. I just think that he comes across as overly formal with the emotional range of a high functioning autistic. I mean, you have a wild hunt, get fired up!

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I don’t really hate him. I hated him the first time I went through the PS, but he’s not SO bad, really. He is annoying, though. I feel like he isn’t a very well-developed character. There isn’t much to him.

Logan, though, I hate Logan. When Trahearne dies, I at least heal him back up. When Logan dies, I leave him there. I might even dance on his corpse and laugh.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

You are doing everything while Trahearne follow you around taking the credit.
He could have literally been written out of the story in 10 minutes, you do everything and have companions that help. The pact could have been controlled by the three leaders of the orders (which help you along the way, effectivly replacing Trahearne). There are so many other cool characters that are just brushed aside because Trahearne have to take center stage.

He should have sacrificed himself at Claw Island o__o

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I don’t hate him at all. I do think his overall dialog could have been better written.

The problem for me is the voice acting as mentioned above. The first time through the PS I thought it sounded as if the voice actor was either bad at his job or bored with what he was performing.

After many repeats through the PS I also believe that the tone is condescending more than “commanding.” I don’t think this is intentional, nonetheless that is the way it comes across to me.

The actual character is fine with me, the voice acting was not.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

Because Anet did a terrible story with him getting all the credit for all the work the PC does. It’s ridiculous and they really should have thought it out better or hired someone who could actually write.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

But most people seems to hate him because he is the leader of the Pact, while the player’s character is only the second in command. Basically, they are jealous of him because they feel he’s undeservedly stealing their spotlight. XD

It has nothing to do with jealousy. He was an unknown. The PC does all the work then you go before the Tree Mother and she gives the job to him instead of who should have been made the leader. That’s not jealousy. The story makes no sense at all. Why the heck is the tree mother chosing instead of the Pact voting.

Personally, I do not like how the story was written in the game. I avoid it by skipping through it all.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

(edited by Tere.4759)

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think the main issue for most people is that unless you play a sylvari Trahearne’s introduction is very abrupt.

You’ve just done several missions where you work with your order mentor and they’re officially declared your partner. Then you head off to Claw Island, are introduced to Trahearne and all of a sudden your mentor is dead and he’s your new partner, then within the space of a few story instances your boss and the leader of the whole Pact.

The only direct example I can think of is fairly minor: the naming of Fort Trinity.

At the end of Retribution Trahearne talks about planning to use an abandoned fort as a base for the Pact, your character asks what it’s called and he says he hadn’t even thought about it. So your character suggests that since the Pact is made up of 3 Orders it could be called Fort Trinity.

In the next instance (Forming the Pact) Trahearne pitches the idea to the Order representatives and says " I’ll begin preparing our new headquarters at the Terzetto site, which I have code-named Fort Trinity."

But I think it’s more of a general impression than anything specific he does. A lot of people expected GW2 to be the story of their character saving Tyria, with the assistance of some NPCs. So they expected to be named the leader of the Pact, given the magic sword that can save Orr etc. etc. and then see all of that going to a random NPC who from their perspective just showed up 1/2 way through the story.

It’s the same reason people resented Kormir becoming a goddess and thought their character should have been the one to take over from Abaddon. Even though that would have basically meant you’d have to stop playing that character.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Trahearne is Kormir 2.0. A credit stealing fool who doesn’t do anything and lets you do all the heavy lifting. He was shoehorned into the story at level 50. Just comes out of nowhere and boom instant Marshal of the Pact. Absolutely ridiculous.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I highly recommend going through it again. Since the last major patch, with the Lion’s Arch revamp and the re-restructuring of the personal story, they brought in the voice actor and had him redo a lot of lines. No more Clor Island, and there is a bit more feeling behind most of his lines.

I never had a problem with him. I won’t say I liked him, but most of my problems with him were entirely mechanical and not his fault. Things like leading the way at a walk, but if you get too far ahead of him he thinks he’s left you behind and stops moving waiting for you to catch up. That’s a big pain. His almost complete inability to wield Caladbolg even halfway decently is frustrating, but that’s only because I got to wield it as a Sylvari so I know what it’s capable of. I will say, though, that he seems to have gotten better at it. I’ve been running all my characters through the PS and he’s actually been somewhat helpful with that sword and even used all of the skills.

His personality never jarred me. He’ll never be as good as Tybolt, and he’s a lot easier to like if you played a Sylvari, but he’s not bad either way.

He has never tried to take your thunder. It was always made clear that he would lead the Pact. You are specifically working to put him in charge of the Pact. Then when he’s held up and you ask if you’ll be working for your Order leader, not even for him, he says no, you’ll be second in command of everything, effectively above the chain of command. Then at the end when you’re trying to tell him how great his achievements are he says that it was you that did it all and that as long as he’s the leader of the Pact he’s going to make sure everyone knows how great you are, not him.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

It has nothing to do with jealousy. He was an unknown. The PC does all the work then you go before the Tree Mother and she gives the job to him instead of who should have been made the leader. That’s not jealousy. The story makes no sense at all. Why the heck is the tree mother chosing instead of the Pact voting.

Personally, I do not like how the story was written in the game. I avoid it by skipping through it all.

Jealousy seems to be exactly what that is. He’s given the thing, but you want the thing and think it should have been given to you. You realize that if you were the one in charge of the Pact that you couldn’t just go off and adventure and do as you please, right? Trahearn is doing things behind the scenes while you’re just completing a handful of missions.

The reason everyone just does what the Mother Tree says, and continues to do it through Season 2 of Living World, is because she is a mystical being that is not entirely bound by time and space. She can see possible futures, and the future in which Zhaitan was defeated was a future in which Trahearn, one of the First Born, was the leader of the Pact.

It really does seem to be a disconnect between expectations and the stories that ANet writes. GW is a story of amazing events occurring around a group of adventurers, with an extra unnamed adventurer following along witnessing everything that happens. That’s why Kormir becomes a god instead of the unnamed and unknown witness. Because that story was never about you.

They tell a similar story here. You’re a much more important person in the GW2 story, but you’re still basically a witness to the adventures of other people. It wasn’t until Season 2 when ANet came to the conclusion that people’s egos were getting bruised that anything changes and suddenly, inexplicably, you were the leader of DE2.0. Even though by all accounts Marjory should be the leader. It’s her detective agency and she’s basically the one that brought everyone together, even though you met some of them first. You do the heavy lifting, but she has the know how, yet they all defer to you now, because some people just needed to be the ones in charge that everyone answered to.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Emiko.3217

Emiko.3217

What I dislike in Trahearne is that he always positions himself high above everyone else. Whether it’s a tower, platform, wall, whatever. Almost like saying, ‘I"m better than all these little people’.

Traeharne ?!?

Dinks.2478

If Trahearne wasn’t randomly shoehorned into the story at level 50 and then a few story quests later was the leader it might not be so annoying. As it stands he comes out of nowhere as the mentor we’ve been with for 20 levels dies and then boom “Whats up, yeah I’ll be the leader of this pact.” “What? no I’m a Scholar, I’ll make sure to pass along your military suggestions as my own.”

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

I just leave this here. Credits to the owner of this video

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Gerikstoof.9563

Gerikstoof.9563

First of: i’m a Sylvari player.
So in the main story there is this part where I had to find the “legendary Sylvari blade” Caladbolg. Since my Wyld hunt was about killing dragons and all i thought “Sweet, that thing will be mine”. But then Trahearne happened…. i had to give him the sword and he used it to cleanse Orr and everyone was like “woohoo, Trahearne saved us” and all I was thinking was “kitten, give me my sword back.”

And he is completely useless, everything he did in the story could have been done by the player as well. I don’t even remember when he started showing up and even less why he showed up in the first place.

Bottom line, he basically steals the spotlight from the player EVERY TIME HE’S IN THE STORY without really doing something useful.

(I even made a male Sylvari alt named Trahoirne to play as Trahearne’s kittened little brother as a joke, but they made me change the name)

(edited by Gerikstoof.9563)

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

Why do people dislike Trahearne? It’s mostly because of the personal story.

You started out as Batman and ended up as Robin.

Edit: I hate Trahearne’s role in the personal story, but I really like him in the Living Story. He seems like a major protagonist, but allows the player character to take the role of main protagonist.

Golden shackles are still golden.

(edited by Thanatos.2691)

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I dislike Trahearne because he has a corruptible face.

He looks like hes just sitting around waiting to be made Mordremoth’s sock puppet.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m fine with Trahearne and don’t mind the voice acting. For those who feel the voice acting is the big problem, though, check out the PS Restoration. I have not yet gone through the revamped PS myself but my understanding is that they redid a number of his lines to get him a bit more energetic.

If the voiceovers are no longer the “monotone” that some criticize, new players are going to wonder why veterans are hating on the actor

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Burden of proof usually resides on the party making claims.

To me he’s ok, except his profession. In my opinion, necromancer and engineer are the most un-sylvarilike profession, yet two important characters are Trahearne and Scarlet.

Well in the case of Scarlet it was an important defining characteristic. Scarlet (well Ceara) purposefully went against Sylvari teachings and ideals, she purposefully sought un-sylvarlike-ness and to follow her own destiny. So her being an engineer makes a lot of sense.
Trahearne however… I guess you can’t research Orr without being a necro? Yeah, it’s something odd which never really comes up.

The problem for me is the voice acting as mentioned above. The first time through the PS I thought it sounded as if the voice actor was either bad at his job or bored with what he was performing.

I thought it was text-to-speech XD

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

Strange… I thought people hated him for just saying “Well done!” ad nauseum.

Storywise, you joined the army so don’t expect to like your commander. At least you get to be 2IC so you get all the “fun” load of carrying the boss. If it weren’t for you, Trahearne would be a pile of splinters somewhere being scooped up for plant mulch by risen farmers. Who cares if he gets the credit? After all, it’s his strategy that leads to the destruction of Zhaitan and the possible restoration of Orr. Of course he gets the credit.

(now back to my regularly scheduled grind for crafting materials… if the war doesn’t get in my way yet again)

(edited by Jimson.5168)

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: hrasna.3017

hrasna.3017

You: do all the work.
Trahearne: “Hey everybody, look what I did!”

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Trahearne never stole credit for killing Zhaitan or anything.

I’m looking through my screenshots and the only thing he says is “The world owes you a great debt, Commander. As long as I am Marshal of the Pact, I will see that debt honored. My only regret is that I was not there to see Zhaitan fall. But I shall look forward to the skaalds celebrating your triumph.”

??? Where does he take credit for everything the player does? If anything, players want to take credit for forming the pact and leading it when they did no such thing.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The original voice acting was terrible in my opinion and some of the dialogue was worse.

• What kind of leader says “this won’t end well” before a critical battle? Who says “moving on” instead of “good job” if they are trying to help mobilize a population who has yet to recognize the danger they are in?
  • His voice always suggested to me that if I didn’t say supportive things to him that I might find him alone in the woods later, having slashed his ankles with a Copper Logging Axe. He makes Eyore look like an optimist.

I never felt he took credit for anything. He was Tyria’s expert on Zhaitan and was asked to lead the Pact. My character was unknown and expected to do a lot of the leg work — I always think it’s incredulous for every player character in nearly every RPG to be considered the best fighter and the best general and the best tactician all rolled into one. I like how GW2 actually divides different characters into different important roles; it feels much more epic to be part of an epic campaign, instead of “there can be only one.”

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Traeharne ?!?

Star Ace.5207

Never. Those instances where people felt he took the credit don’t’t exist. Only in their minds, really.

This won’t end well.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I thought it was text-to-speech XD

Even if you are voice acting, it is still acting and still a performance. They wouldn’t call them voice actors if it wasn’t a performance they are providing. They would call them text readers. They could get any monotone to do voice overs if they were just reading text.

(edited by jheryn.8390)

Traeharne ?!?

Dinks.2478

Still waiting for the Trahearne version of this. Because despite all of the Trahearne fanboys in here, he is a complete credit stealing tool.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

It does not help Trahearn’s (read any Sylvari) reputation that the secret of the origin of the Sylvari race (that those who finished LS2 know) puts anything Trahearn does in doubt. (Hopefully that’s cryptic enough to not be a spoiler.) Don’t let the storyline color your perception of Trahearn. It will be interesting to see how Anet story makers handle the fate vs. free will for the Sylvari. I wouldn’t play this game if all it had was a never ending fight just to get loot… the story is what brings me back.

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Characters are not human beings, yet they doesn’t exist in the void. They have context, the have a function, and they form part of a plot.

People doesn’t hate threarne because “he” is a bad leader or because “he” took credit from the player. People hate Threarne because the story fails to deliver focus on the player, puting instead the interest in Threarne.

His role in the whole story IS bigger than the role of the PC. The player make some chices, but it is Threarne the one that offer those choices. The player influence the world, but is Threarne the one that make that call. At least in the second half of the PS, the story revolves around him, much more than around your character.

That said, I thing people shouldn’t blindly hate Threarne, but instead vocally hate the whole second half of the Personal Story. Threarne is just a symptom of the real problem.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Traeharne ?!?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The first thing is that he replaces our mentors like Tybald or Sieran .. and then suddenly
after a little fun we have all the time now :

“This won’t end well” .. “we will all gonna die”

He is just such a boring and depressing character ..

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.