Trahearne wrote a new speech?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aerin Dark Water.6283

Aerin Dark Water.6283

I just finished doing “A Light in the Darkness” for the 12th time (I have way too many characters XD), but this time it was slightly different. During the bit where “vision Trahearne” makes his grand speech it’s different than what I had remembered. So out of curiosity, I checked the wiki’s page for the quest and followed the speech on there with the screenshot I made of the present speech. And it was different.

The old speech as follows:

Defenders of Tyria! When Zhaitan rose from slumber, the dragon found a long-dead nation and claimed it. The dragon expected the rest of Tyria to be as easily conquered.
But we live, and we breathe, and we fight! Together — charr and human, Priory and Vigil, all races and all paths of life; we stand against Zhaitan.
The dragon wants us to be afraid, because fear will tear us apart. Fear will destroy us! But I tell you this — I am not afraid! I may die, but I will never kneel! Did you feel that? It is the dragon who is afraid!
To Arah, and victory!

New speech in chat dialogue from screenshot… (below in attachments)

So… just wondering, when was the change made and why? I kind of like the older speech better. I especially love this line “Did you feel that? It is the dragon who is afraid!” But they are not in the new speech. To me at least the new speech isn’t as compelling or “war worthy”. But that’s just my opinion, I would like to hear any designer statements of why it was changed.

Attachments:

Want an art commission of your character? PM me to find out how! In-game gold art commissions!

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Sylvari tut got changed a bit too, and it’s boss has a few more moves now.

Aerin Dark Water.6283

Sylvari tut got changed a bit too, and it’s boss has a few more moves now.

What/which boss? Or do you mean their tutorial boss?

Want an art commission of your character? PM me to find out how! In-game gold art commissions!

MegumiAzusa.2918

Yes, I meant the tut boss.

Aerin Dark Water.6283

Ah yea. I did notice that a while back. Then again, the boss lived longer cause no one but me and Cathie were killing it, so I saw some newer moves than before.

MegumiAzusa.2918

No, I’ve got 25 char slots and made a few Sylvari recently (I made a lot of them for the update which had all the other PS story changes to do stuff for the wiki). Up until around Wintersday he was basically just sitting there until he died, now after the HoT announcement I made a new one to play with a friend who just started her first GW2 char and I got constantly knocked back etc.

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

I can’t say for certain but I’m pretty sure the reason they changed this speech was to make Trahearne sound better. The voice actor didn’t seem to get very good direction the first time around and his speech came across as boring and monotone – it didn’t sound very inspiring . Instead he sounded more like he was having a small meeting with one or two people to discuss the dragon rather than addressing a large crowd trying to inspire them.

They got his voice actor back for Season 2 and I’m assuming Heart of Thorns, so while he was in the recording studio they probably decided to quickly re-record some of Trahearne’s more key moments to make them feel a bit more epic. They also re-recorded his battle lines so he no longer says things like ‘this won’t end well’ based on player feedback.

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Yeah his delivery sucked in the original speech, I found it dull as hell. Haven’t heard the new one yet, but I prefer the wording of the original.

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

The original speech was too confusing for newer players.

(sorry, someone had to ;P)

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

New speech or not, I demand his head on a pike outside of black citadel.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

MegumiAzusa.2918

Not in a salad bowl?

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Not in a salad bowl?

Hes not worthy of being eaten. Better off rotting away :p.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

Marshal T, marshal T, marshal T, marshal T!!!.
_________

Now that my fanboy chant for marshal T is over. Yeah, the original was abit…dull. It didn’t arouse any kind of emotion. And this was a speech designed to inspire the pact against the dragon. And leading in to war. If it has been modified, then is that a bad thing?.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

As a charr player (and fan) who likes marshal T, I object to this!!.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: Illecandra.3219

Illecandra.3219

As a charr player (and fan) who likes marshal T, I object to this!!.

^this, from a human player (and slowly becoming gw2 addicted….)

The original speech was more epic. Seems like they wanted the new one to sound more neutrally inclusive, but it’s less inspiring on paper. Thanks OP for sharing the version some of us never got to see.

(edited by Illecandra.3219)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

The original speech was more epic. Seems like they wanted the new one to sound more neutrally inclusive, but it’s less inspiring on paper. Thanks OP for sharing the version some of us never got to see.

Im guessing this in the personal story near the end? sucks i wont see or hear it again though, because i would like to hear the new Trahearne, looks inspiring enough to me though!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Ticare.3948

Ticare.3948

I guess one of the reasons for the change is the change from “I” to “we” since so many people complained about Trahearne stealing all the glory

Aerin Dark Water.6283

I agree about the acutal voicing being dull, but the wording of the original I perfer better over the wording of new one.

lol ‘this wouldn’t end well’.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

He no longer says “this won’t end well”?

ODIN BE BLESSED!!!!!! /tears

But yea, I agree with some of the other posters here…..I would still like to see his head in a salad bowl.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-