Transmutation Costs

Transmutation Costs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

Q:

Could someone please explain why somethings require a transmutation cost and others do not?

example:
Hall of Monuments, Zenith items require no cost, if I buy an item from store with real money then there is a transmutation cost.

Server: Gate of Madness

Transmutation Costs

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Because they’re rewards which can be acquired countless of times.
Would be silly to charge it normally when you get pick up a skin from Achievement Reward Tab.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Transmutation Costs

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just the way it is. There has to be some way of supporting the game, since there is no subscription. But, transmutation charges aren’t too difficult to come by without using cash. /shrug

Transmutation Costs

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

rewards that you can acquire tons of times dont require charges

Also, (i think) SKINS that you have in your bags that you apply directly on your gear doesnt need charges as well.

skins that arent items from your bag such as wardrobe skins you unlocked previously do require charges

Transmutation Costs

aerial.7021

Would be silly to charge it normally when you get pick up a skin from Achievement Reward Tab.

Yes I understand this, however what I do not get is why when I pay $ for and outfit (glasses, glowing eyes etc.) if say I was out of transmutations (I’m not but that isn’t the question), I would have to pay more $ just to use it.

I guess what I’m trying to say is if any outfit is paid for by $ it should be exempt from transmutation costs, because it doesn’t make sense in all other areas of usage it makes sense, but not when I’ve paid for an items usage.

Transmutation Costs

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

Items that can be applied over other items, aka skins(fractal skins achievement skins) Can just be applied which consumes them instead of paying a transmutation charge, items that can be obtained indefinitely can be applied over and over with no cost

Transmutation Costs

Posted by: SKATE.1394

SKATE.1394

There are ways to acquire transmutation charges without buying them from the gem store, that’s simply there for the convenience of players that don’t want to map cities/zones or play PvP for more.

Transmutation Costs

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

So you have GW1 + EotN, that looks like a cost to me.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Transmutation Costs

aerial.7021

I see, by that rational since all the expansions which would approximately cost at point of sale $250-$300nzd combined, if I brought some glowing eyes from the gem store ($15nzd) and then handed ArenaNET $300nzd (total $315nzd) then I should be able to apply my set of now extremely expensive glowing eyes without the requirement of a transmutation.

Translation : NZD = New Zealand Dollars

btw: I own the glowing eyes already

Transmutation Costs

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Honestly, I don’t understand why T3 armor is rare and not exotic.

If we are paying that much for the armor, make it a skin…… or at least make it exotic rarity.

As it stands right now, you spend all that gold on the armor, and end up having to immediately transmute it if you want to use it.

Transmutation Costs

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Yes I understand this, however what I do not get is why when I pay $ for and outfit (glasses, glowing eyes etc.) if say I was out of transmutations (I’m not but that isn’t the question), I would have to pay more $ just to use it.

You wouldn’t. If you have an item called “[Something] Skin”, which is how skins from the gemstore are supplied to you, then you can apply that to a piece of armour or a weapon without using a transmutation charge.

Transmutation Costs

aerial.7021

You wouldn’t. If you have an item called “[Something] Skin”, which is how skins from the gemstore are supplied to you, then you can apply that to a piece of armour or a weapon without using a transmutation charge.

maybe your a little confused?

please observe the image below.

Attachments:

Transmutation Costs

Olvendred.3027

That is not an item. That is an unlocked skin in your wardrobe. You got the item in the mail when you bought it from the gemstore.

Transmutation Costs

aerial.7021

That is not an item. That is an unlocked skin in your wardrobe. You got the item in the mail when you bought it from the gemstore.

ahh I see so my question is improperly worded? as in why are unlocked skins that are brought in the gemstore require transmutation?

Transmutation Costs

Olvendred.3027

ahh I see so my question is improperly worded? as in why are unlocked skins that are brought in the gemstore require transmutation?

When you have the item in your inventory, it doesn’t use up a transmutation charge. So, when you buy skins from the gemstore, but have 0 transmutation charges, you don’t need to spend any more money/gold/gems. That only works the first time, as the item is consumed.

Unlocked gemstore skins, in the wardrobe, are no different from any other sort of skins. Before the wardrobe came in, you’d have needed a transmutation stone/crystal to move the skin to a different piece of gear…. after the first use of the consumable item (which was free).

Compared to HoM and Zenith skins, where there is and always has been an infinite supply of the skin items.

Transmutation Costs

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I see, by that rational since all the expansions which would approximately cost at point of sale $250-$300nzd combined, if I brought some glowing eyes from the gem store ($15nzd) and then handed ArenaNET $300nzd (total $315nzd) then I should be able to apply my set of now extremely expensive glowing eyes without the requirement of a transmutation.

Translation : NZD = New Zealand Dollars

btw: I own the glowing eyes already

The rationale was you have a cost, everything in your reply is just grandstanding. My point was valid.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Transmutation Costs

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

Ultimately it boils down to whether you have the skin (fresh from bltp) or if you have access to skins indefinitely (Zenith). It wouldn’t be too bad if they had moved the bltp skins in with the achievement skins, but from the past they knew they could continue charging for the transmutation charges on them. (Before wardrobe system)

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner