Transmutation charges just hurt everyone.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fredgerd.3204

Fredgerd.3204

Transmutation charges and the wardrobe are a huge improvement on the stone system we used to have, but I can’t help feeling like the whole thing is just a clumsy system to try and squeeze money out of us. Before anyone states the obvious, yes I know they need to make money from microtransactions to support the game’s server and content creation overhead costs. However, the current system I think hurts both us and ANet more than it helps anyone. Because the transmutation charges are such a pain to get, I feel much less inclined to buy skins, knowing they’ll be a pain to use in the future. I also feel uninclined to buy outfits because they have an all or nothing system where you can’t use just the parts you want. And I don’t feel any inclination to buy transmutation charges either, because the system itself sucks and makes me resentful. Thus I don’t wish to encourage it by supporting it financially, so I instead grind out charges from completing the fastest city maps as fast as I can over and over on throw away characters. Same goes for black lion keys. This in turn makes the game feel less fun and makes me want to play less, thus I spend even less.

If ANet just freed up the wardrobe system entirely, I for one would definitely buy skins more and possibly other stuff too since the game would feel more appealing. I used to play DCUO (which had a bunch of different issues I wont get into now) and they used a completely freed up wardrobe system like I’m talking about. I saw store exclusive skins all over the place. All they’d have to do is remove the charge system and then make regular and distinctive looking skins and they’d make plenty of money. Everyone wins.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I promise you they wouldn’t have bothered implementing the system if they didn’t think it would help them “squeeze money out of us”. That said, I personally think it’s a huge improvement over the old system and don’t currently have any complaints other than being unable to dye the Wizard’kitten.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I promise you they wouldn’t have bothered implementing the system if they didn’t think it would help them “squeeze money out of us”. That said, I personally think it’s a huge improvement over the old system and don’t currently have any complaints other than being unable to dye the Wizard’kitten.

I think it is a fine system. The one before was too complex and buggy.

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

If you’re creating characters to simply map out cities for charges and then deleting them… why not try playing PvP instead? You’ll earn charges playing that, win or lose (but faster when you win), as well as earning other rewards from straight-up coin to champ bags/obsidian shards/mystic clovers.

Maybe you’ve never tried PvP before, but even if it’s not a game type you’d normally enjoy, it still has to be more interesting than mapping cities for the fifth or tenth time.

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

I’m constantly hovering around 90 charges. I don’t even do map completion anymore. I suppose if I stop playing spvp (and I only play it for the daily achievements) I will be able to sympathize more.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Even though I agree it’s a great improvement – especially since my two mains are a War and Guard – I am still bummed that it all has to be throttled by the cash shop.

Posted by: barefootstep.7026

barefootstep.7026

Like Hybrid, I’ve been at a steady amount of tokens, on both the old and new system. And I usually only do casual PVE in up to level 70 zones, and have to support eight characters.

Can you perhaps describe your usage of the tokens, and why you need such a steady supply?

darkace.8925

Even though I agree it’s a great improvement – especially since my two mains are a War and Guard – I am still bummed that it all has to be throttled by the cash shop.

Something has to, and I’d rather it be this than skins. The more of this stuff they put in the cash shop, they more weapon and armor skins they can add as in-game rewards (theoretically speaking).

Posted by: Fredgerd.3204

Fredgerd.3204

hmm, never gotten a charge from PVP before but I’ve only played it enough to hit L8. I’ll give it a go. I still think ANet would make more off a less restrictive system with more skins in the store though.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’m actually really pleased with the transmutation charges, except that I have leftover stones from the old system that are useless. I like that they’re not physical items (not for long, anyway).

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Yeah I hate it, it’s a lousy system.

Before you could change your PvP armor look for free. Now you have to lose 20+ gold just to change how your set looks.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the stones were about 250gems for a normal one, it’s now 150 gems for 5 charges.
even while some things are quite annoying, it’s allot more cost efficient right now then before.

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

Rift and Lotro are both free to play and both feature a completely free wardrobe system with the ability to switch between multiple sets.

Don’t get me wrong, Anet finally implemented this and I’m grateful for it, but once charges run out, what then? You get one for each map completion and one for every 2 tiers in sPvP. So that’s hours of work to obtain a single change in wardrobe.

You could throw your credit card at them or pay an outrageous 30g for 5 charges.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

sorudo.9054

Rift and Lotro are both free to play and both feature a completely free wardrobe system with the ability to switch between multiple sets.

Don’t get me wrong, Anet finally implemented this and I’m grateful for it, but once charges run out, what then? You get one for each map completion and one for every 2 tiers in sPvP. So that’s hours of work to obtain a single change in wardrobe.

You could throw your credit card at them or pay an outrageous 30g for 5 charges.

in lotro and rift it is most certainly not free, you still need to pay up.
i even bought extra styles in rift and still needed to pay to get them on my character, it’s kinda BS to complain about a common process.
btw, the old system made you pay even more, i really don’t see what you’re complaining about…..

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Hmmm. I’m not really going to comment on the validity of the system, but how many charges are you burning through?

I sit on the 30 mark like all the time – between the times I use them, and then the times I get them.

I guess some people transmute way more than me? o:

But anyway, I will say I prefer it 10x more to the old system.

| Lithia |

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Where the old system was convenient was leveling up alts and keeping them in a ‘look’ until 80. At 80, the system is fine. Under the old system, we got 3 charges every time we cleared a map, to be used on our armor as we saw fit. I used to change armor every 5-10 levels and had plenty of charges. Now, it’s cost prohibitive to keep a character in a ‘look’ from 1-79.

So I bought a pirate outfit, hide the hat, and everyone wears that while leveling up now.

And did I mention I missed my shorts, sleeveless hoodie and witch’s boots?

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

I’m actually really pleased with the transmutation charges, except that I have leftover stones from the old system that are useless. I like that they’re not physical items (not for long, anyway).

I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure the old stones can be converted to charges. It just takes 3 stones for 1 charge, 1 crystal for 1 charge, and 1 splitter for 5 charges.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure the old stones can be converted to charges. It just takes 3 stones for 1 charge, 1 crystal for 1 charge, and 1 splitter for 5 charges.

So, if you had 5 stones, you’ll be left with 2.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I had 5 stones, and I’m stuck with 2 actually.

sorudo.9054

that only counts for normal stones, lvl 80-only stones are 1 charge for 1 stone

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Yes, but I have two of the normal stones leftover, and it makes me sad.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Akrib.4297

Akrib.4297

Left with 2 as well, was thinking about getting one from someone else until I noticed they were account bound. I’m guessing the only thing that can be done with them is to destroy them.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Left with 2 as well, was thinking about getting one from someone else until I noticed they were account bound. I’m guessing the only thing that can be done with them is to destroy them.

Yes, destroy. The chance of ever being able to do something with them hovers around zero. (I had one or two left over, which I deleted).

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

I agree that the new system is a huge improvement. But I will never pay for transmutation charges; for whatever reason they seem too insubstantial to be worth the money. So far I haven’t needed to, but that is in part because I don’t use the system very much because of the cost. I set aside a little money each month to buy gems, but even when I have extra gems, transmutation charges fall into the category of things I would never consider buying like boosts or keys.

Because of this, I don’t use them very much and haven’t been able to use them to clear out my inventory on my main. I like to change armor frequently, and so it makes more sense to have an armor piece permanently transmuted that I can switch out than spend money on a transmutation charge. It’s a shame, it would be a lot nicer to just have to carry around armor types (zerk, knights, etc…), but I guess Anet is making money off of someone buying these things. Either way Anet isn’t making any money off of transmutations with me, and I would guess I’m not unique.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Transmutation charges and the wardrobe are a huge improvement on the stone system we used to have, but I can’t help feeling like the whole thing is just a clumsy system to try and squeeze money out of us.

You can get them for free at around 15 to 20 minutes per 1 charge, just by making a new toon and doing home instance world completion (Rata Sum and The Grove being the easier options with all the points being fairly centralised to small locations)

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

Transmutation charges and the wardrobe are a huge improvement on the stone system we used to have, but I can’t help feeling like the whole thing is just a clumsy system to try and squeeze money out of us. Before anyone states the obvious, yes I know they need to make money from microtransactions to support the game’s server and content creation overhead costs.

/thread. You really should have stopped here and agreed with yourself.

However, the current system I think hurts both us and ANet more than it helps anyone. Because the transmutation charges are such a pain to get, I feel much less inclined to buy skins, knowing they’ll be a pain to use in the future. I also feel uninclined to buy outfits because they have an all or nothing system where you can’t use just the parts you want. And I don’t feel any inclination to buy transmutation charges either, because the system itself sucks and makes me resentful. Thus I don’t wish to encourage it by supporting it financially, so I instead grind out charges from completing the fastest city maps as fast as I can over and over on throw away characters. Same goes for black lion keys. This in turn makes the game feel less fun and makes me want to play less, thus I spend even less.

How are charges such a pain to get? You buy them with gems if you really want them instantly. They’re literally a couple of clicks away. If you don’t/cant spend real money, then convert gold to gems or casually PVP and you’ll get them pretty quickly. Heck, I very casually PVP’d before the Feature Update, and I got around 80 free Transmutation charges.

For vanity items such as these, as well as other convenience items, I’m totally OK with ANET finding ways to make money off them. It’s pretty unfair to expect a subscription-free MMO to give everything out for free and not make any money.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

The only problem I found with transmutation system is that those below level 80 have to use up a transmutation stone for a piece of gear.

I cannot find the PvE game any fun because of it. I have to stare at my ugly armor because I will outlevel the gear really soon anyways.

Charging for over level 80 characters is fine.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Akrib.4297

Akrib.4297

Yes, destroy. The chance of ever being able to do something with them hovers around zero. (I had one or two left over, which I deleted).

Yeah that’s what I’m going to end up doing. The storage space is limited enough already, don’t want to waste it on something that can’t be done. Although, I’m glad they changed it to the current method. I had around like 80 transmutation stones that were just sitting around.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

casually PVP

Jumbo Shrimp
Military Intelligence

casually PVP … For vanity items

:|

Dailies
DEs
World Events
Target someone you don’t know and ‘/hug @’

…for vanity items.

PvP for l33t d00dz surfboard sized two handed great sword with skull and cross bones emblem, fire and … free markets and NASCAR … Duty.

That seems to line up a bit better.

I’m not opposed to giving them money. I give them about $10/mo, on average, well before the new TCs.

I don’t object to the system, the part that’s the sting is leveling up alts and keeping them in ‘a look’ throughout (fine with reaching 80 and having to spend money to change my look on each 80 from time to time) when we only get 1 unit of transforming for clearing a map when we used to get 3 units. 1 map, maybe gain 5 levels, end up with enough to at least change the chest, pants and shoes (hide the rest), move on to the next map.

Actually, I take ‘more’ offense knowing that people that PvP can get them so easily, but I digress.

But I’m picking up a new Rocket costume and 3 new Team Ups for $25 bucks tomorrow, so I’m excited about that. Little bit more of my money goes that way these days any how.

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

The only problem I found with transmutation system is that those below level 80 have to use up a transmutation stone for a piece of gear.

I cannot find the PvE game any fun because of it. I have to stare at my ugly armor because I will outlevel the gear really soon anyways.

Charging for over level 80 characters is fine.

That is why outfits exist now. You won’t have to stare at them in lowbie aromor as you level :P. Though seriously….current wardrob was the best change fore me. No longer do I have to worry about destroying sets of armor for the look. Also you guys kinda neglect that you unlock the skin of whatever weapons or armors you have meaning..no more multiple gem store sets.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They’re cheap enough to buy with gold if you really need them. I have a ton of them and never bought any.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I have 65 and stockpiling, spent 1 on the glowing eyes mask for me Mesmer. I keep getting them or keys that unlock (honestly, crap).

Guess I hope I get more keys to unlock pointless xp boosters and 1 copper dyes

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

What the new system does is to encourage accumulation of skins across your account. It does not encourage pursuit of multiple looks that one can switch between on one character.

ANet is using skins as a revenue producer, where it was supposed to be part of the endgame. A wardrobe system that allowed for the purchase of wardrobe slots would have allowed both revenue generation and an endgame pursuit. Those slots, once purchased, would then allow players to switch between “looks” at will and without cost. This would make the pursuit of multiple looks for the same character attractive. Revenue could still be generated by sale of skins and sale of wardrobe slots.

Endgame pursuits have to have longevity to be workable. The current wardrobe system does not provide that longevity. A revised wardrobe could.

Posted by: Seth.1308

Seth.1308

WTB Unbreakable Transmutation Locket

darkace.8925

Without spending a dime on Transmutation Charges I currently have 184. The vast majority of those come from map completion. So unless you guys are really compulsive about changing your characters’ appearances or you’re forgoing map completion, I’m having a tough time understanding where the problem is.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

It would be interesting to know whether a more flexible system would encourage players to spend more transmutations. For instance, if you could spend 2 transmutation charges up front so you that could display a piece anytime after for free, would you experiment with styles more often (and use more charges on other items)?

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I just don’t like if you transmute an armour piece it becomes locked. I was on exotic armour and crafted ascended armour. When I donned my new ascended flashy stuff I couldn’t salvage the old stuff to retrieve the runes from it. I tried other pieces of exotic formerly worn stuff and they salavaged the runes out fine. It seems once you transmute a skin, it’s unbreakable.

I may be doing something totally wrong though.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I much prefer the new system, for both level 80 and level 1 – 79 characters.

On lower level characters I very rarely transmute anything because it’s not worth it when you’re switching it out every few levels anyway. But I’m much more likely to do it now because I can change the skin, and importantly use nice skins that can be hard to get, without destroying the item it came from. I didn’t have to buy a whole new priory greatsword for my guardian to use from level 15-20, I just had to spend 1 transmutation charge.

And because I rarely transmuted low level armor all those stones I was getting were just piling up. Now I ckittene them on any character they’re actually worth having. I had 4 crystals before the update, I’ve now got over 40 charges that I ckittene on any character and can get more for my level 80’s just from map completion.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I just don’t like if you transmute an armour piece it becomes locked. I was on exotic armour and crafted ascended armour. When I donned my new ascended flashy stuff I couldn’t salvage the old stuff to retrieve the runes from it. I tried other pieces of exotic formerly worn stuff and they salavaged the runes out fine. It seems once you transmute a skin, it’s unbreakable.

I may be doing something totally wrong though.

Transmuting armor doesn’t stop you salvaging it. Most likely you bought those exotics with karma or badges of honor. Those sets can’t be salvaged at all, no matter what you do (or don’t do) to them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”