Transmutation rework idea

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ScPhantom.6125

ScPhantom.6125

While I have over 50 transmutation charges still available and the game being generous with charges, I still feel very bad every time I use a charge. I feel very limited despite having a good amount of charges and as such I mostly never change the appearance of my character after I’ve settled with a look. For a game which is called Fashion Wars 2, it really is limiting creativity. So I’ve been thinking of an idea I would like to share.
We all know that the game is very generous with transmutation charges, so my question is why even sell transmutation charges in gem store? How much do they even earn from this, when you can just explore the major cities for free charges? So here is my idea:

1. Remove transmutation charge currency and make transmutations free.
2. Add transmutation slots to the gem store instead of charges. What I mean by slots, is the option of saving custom appearances into slots for quick switching between looks. So every character has 1 or maybe 2 free slots if generous, with additional slots being purchasable in gem store.

The fact that transmuting will be free and the option of saving/loading appearances, will encourage people more on getting all the different skins in the game; which also could be an economic boost. It might even boost the skin sales in gem store, if you don’t have to spend a charge every time you want to use the skin you purchased after the first time.

I’d pretty much consider this a win-win for players and Anet

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i support this, although if truth be told i wouldn’t spend money on appearence slots since i can change skins for free although i don’t spend money on charges too so i may not be a good example for this.
but yes, free changes of costumes always win for me

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I think we could have a combination of all systems.

• Transmutation charges still work like now.
  • Players can also spend 5 charges instead 1 to make a skin ‘Free to Apply’ like the HoM and AP skin rewards.
  • In the Outfits panel, players would be able to select ‘Custom Outfit’ slots to set custom oufits. They select a slot, click a ‘edit’ button that appears when selected, and they are sent to a wardrobe panel where they can pick the skins. Once they have the appearance they want, they pay 1 transmutation charge for each skin changed that is not Free to Apply. And the outfit is set. The outfit will only require boots, legs and chest, the rest of the parts would be optional.
  • Dyeing the custom outfit has no charge, but changing parts of it would take 1 charge for each part changed that is not Free to Apply.
  • Characters will get 1 outfit slot upon reaching level 80, and another one for each Dragon defeated. There would be alternate ways to unlock the dragon rewards in WvW and PvP too.
  • In the gemstore, players would also be able to buy account-wide slots that give 1 outfit slot to each character.
  • F2P characters will not get the level 80 slot. Only the one from defeating Zhaitan, and any they may buy in the gemstore.
  • Outfits would be saved separately for each character.

This way charges keep having some use, you don’t have to pay to constantly change between a few appearances you like, and the more slots you have, the more appearances you can have without having to spend more charges, which encourages getting more, and if you really like to which a certain appearance a lot, like, for example, between many hats and glasses, you can spend extra charges to make them free to swap.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

I have suggested an idea like this many times so I totally approve of outfit slots. Though I personally would make them account wide so that it would allow you to wear different armor types (light, medium, heavy) on different classes. Put reapers in full plate? Yes please.

Posted by: Ananeos.4587

Ananeos.4587

“I don’t like something so it should be removed.”

????

Hailsec – Asuran Mesmer | EVOS
Zraiyya – Asuran Elementalist | EVOS
Akkodi – Asuran Engineer | EVOS

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

At this point I’d just be happy if they put the 2 transmutation charges they took out of the PvP reward tracks somewhere else.

Additionally, I’ve always felt that Gem store and BLTC armour and weapon skins should have been free to apply.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

I think that once you’ve spent a transmutation charge on any given skin, then that particular skin should not cost a transmutation charge to use it again.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I don’t do PVP, or map completion very often, so I’m totally starved of them.

ATM, I’m not even using a new piece of ascended armour, on my Ranger, as I don’t have a transmutation charge and don’t feel like buying them, for that price, when I keep hearing they give them out like candy in PvP…

So, yeah, I would support your suggestion, or maybe if they just made them a reward for PvE and WvW, as well as PvP.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Why not just give people the ability to save a set of armor skins as a weight-restricted outfit?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeah. The way they have the free T charges does feel sort of like favoritism. If you PvP then you’re swimming in them. If you’re PvE /WvW only then you’re the redheaded stepchild whose other options is to have a temporary char to run the cities or wait till you get your 3 every 28 days from logging in. The other option if you’re not a PvP person, is to do the PvP dailies in the custom arenas, which is mostly what I do. /shrug. ANet. They do love their PvP.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I think that once you’ve spent a transmutation charge on any given skin, then that particular skin should not cost a transmutation charge to use it again.

THIS!

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

I support this.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve been suggesting full wardrobe slots since before the current wardrobe was implemented. I’d support any variation that allows changing looks. The current system encourages me to settle on one look per character and stick with it, rather than have multiple looks.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Easily implemented. Solves everything.

Posted by: Ananeos.4587

Ananeos.4587

You have 50+ trans charges, use them. That’s what they are there for, and if the system aint broke it aint gonna be fixed. Do some pvp tracks.

Hailsec – Asuran Mesmer | EVOS
Zraiyya – Asuran Elementalist | EVOS
Akkodi – Asuran Engineer | EVOS

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

There was a previous thread where they discussed a gem store permanent T charge gizmo/unlock. Pay X gems and get an infinite number of T charges. I know I’d buy one, and I don’t buy gem store T charges.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I don’t personally have a problem with the current system as I’m one who tends to pick a look and stick with it, adding new looks on top of that occasionally (like, most characters I have I have 2 armor sets, sometimes 3, and I just swap between those for variety), rather than just swapping constantly between every skin in the game.

But if a change were needed, I’d definitely say this would be the way to go. Simple to understand, allows the current system to mostly stay in place (less development hassle), and would still allow those who like to switch more often to eventually reach a place where they can do so freely.