Transmutation stone use gets punished

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

When you transmute something, it no longer qualifies as an ingredient for specific Mystic Forge recipes. Which means that if you get a base backpiece. (Say the Endless quiver), use a transmutation stone to change the skin, then decide you want to upgrade to the version with built in agony resistance, then you can’t use your transmuted one. Instead, you have to get a new Endless quiver.

So anyone who uses a transmutation stone is punished for doing so by being told they need to grind more than someone who doesn’t just to get to the same stats.
The more you use transmutation stones, the more likely you are to run out of the free ones and buy them from the store. Which means that people being punished are more likely to be paying ANET money than the people who aren’t.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’ve lost almost all of my faith in GW2 since November 15th…

That said, I seriously doubt this is working as intended, and you might be better posting this in the bug forum. That level of grind incentive is something you’d really only find in an Asian grinder like Aion, and definitely not something you would find in this game. The most likely situation here is that they never tested it with transmutation stones (guess no one thought of it at the time? 0_o) and so it just never got fixed to work properly.

I’d put away the torch and pitch fork for now. I really do think this is a bug.

Posted by: Ualtar.5047

Ualtar.5047

whaaaat?

My highest is only level 39. I barely have any maps completed, yet I have more basic stones then I need.

I am not sure where you are going with the part about the store, the stones are very easy to get. Everything that happens in the game is not a reason to complain. If simple things make you want to rage it might be time for a break, might help you gain perspective again.

Alrekr Yerling
Khazad Fundinul [KF] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Raincrow.1840

Raincrow.1840

whaaaat?

My highest is only level 39. I barely have any maps completed, yet I have more basic stones then I need.

I am not sure where you are going with the part about the store, the stones are very easy to get. Everything that happens in the game is not a reason to complain. If simple things make you want to rage it might be time for a break, might help you gain perspective again.

He’s not talking about the low level stones. He’s talking about the high level ones, and the items he’s using the stones on.

Crystal Desert; The Viking Server
When are people going to figure out there’s a war going on?

Ualtar.5047

whaaaat?

ok, in that case then yes if you are going to use those like crazy then you might have to buy more. It isn’t some sort of conspiracy. They give you free ones for peats sake.

Getting annoyed with complaint threads for the sake of complaint threads.
He’s not talking about the low level stones. He’s talking about the high level ones, and the items he’s using the stones on.

Alrekr Yerling

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

Wow. Did you people even bother to read the op post before you commented? This clearly is not about acquiring transmutation stones.

That being said, I hope the current behavior is a bug that will get remedied in time, but I suspect it might take a while :/

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I don’t see a problem with this. One use per item.

Also, these forums are filled with cynical brats who complain about everything. Just saying.

You didnt even read the op. Stop posting.

It is sad when they come up with ideas to keep you grinding more. They pushed for cosmetic skins but punish you when you use it for something you like.

Really bad design that forge doesnt recognize it. I doubt it is a bug -just another added level to the grind.
Post in the bugs forum but I wouldnt use transmutation stones again.

Posted by: Pyles.5301

Pyles.5301

whaaaat?

ok, in that case then yes if you are going to use those like crazy then you might have to buy more. It isn’t some sort of conspiracy. They give you free ones for peats sake.

The basis for the thread was more about an item becoming unusable for upgrading after reskinning moreso than losing/wasting a transmutation stone.
However, the free “Basic Transmutation Stones” you get from completing zones work for items 1-79. To reskin a level 80 item you need to use “Fine Transmutation Stones” which are very rare from BL Chests or purchased from the BLTC for gems.

There was no “pitchforks” and “hanging posse” tone in the OP. Ideally it would be better put in the bugs forum, but its a reasonably important bug none the less.

I think of all the “complaints” you chose to complain about, i think you should have chosen one with more merit for criticism.

Ualtar.5047

whaaaat?

The basis for the thread was more about an item becoming unusable for upgrading after reskinning moreso than losing/wasting a transmutation stone.
However, the free “Basic Transmutation Stones” you get from completing zones work for items 1-79. To reskin a level 80 item you need to use “Fine Transmutation Stones” which are very rare from BL Chests or purchased from the BLTC for gems.

There was no “pitchforks” and “hanging posse” tone in the OP. Ideally it would be better put in the bugs forum, but its a reasonably important bug none the less.

I think of all the “complaints” you chose to complain about, i think you should have chosen one with more merit for criticism.

Then the OP should have worded his post better and not used such a combative title. Also this section should not have been added:

The more you use transmutation stones, the more likely you are to run out of the free ones and buy them from the store. Which means that people being punished are more likely to be paying ANET money than the people who aren’t.

With that at the end of his post it turns his whole post into a complaint about how Anet is trying to punish people and force them to the store. Combine that with his signature saying Anet lied, and how is a person supposed to take the post?

Alrekr Yerling

Posted by: Maklin.9301

Maklin.9301

With that at the end of his post it turns his whole post into a complaint about how Anet is trying to punish people and force them to the store. Combine that with his signature saying Anet lied, and how is a person supposed to take the post?

Apparently, like a rabid Phase II fanboy. (Phase I fanboys attack the user directly to defend the blessed devs/company. Phase II is after the devs have a long list of fumbles and its harder to blame other players directly, they start attacking COMPLAINTS as the ultimate EVIL in the game).

The OP has far more of a point, than you ever will Ualtar. There is NO warning that this will happen. Transmuting objects for the other 79 levels have no similar issues. And we won’t even go into the potential hours lost having to do a ‘grind over’ here in Grind Wars 2.

This is either (yet another) bug…which I doubt, or a rather thinly veiled attempt to steer the player to the cash shop in the form of a bug they decided NOT to fix or warn us about due to a monetary advantage to them. For the devs, this is one of those ‘gems from heaven’ bugs….they get to save time by not fixing it, they MAKE money when you have to replace the stone….its just the poor sap of a player that gets stuck with the gift of more grind.

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

OP is saying : " I hate Endless Quiver skin but I like the stats so I transmuted the stats over to my favourite Guild backpack(cough) and now I cant use the Guild backpack for recipe and need to farm another Endless Quiver. FML"

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

This is either (yet another) bug…which I doubt, or a rather thinly veiled attempt to steer the player to the cash shop in the form of a bug they decided NOT to fix or warn us about due to a monetary advantage to them. For the devs, this is one of those ‘gems from heaven’ bugs….they get to save time by not fixing it, they MAKE money when you have to replace the stone….its just the poor sap of a player that gets stuck with the gift of more grind.

While you’re right that the OP has a legitimate complaint, I fail to see how this part of your response has any validity. I know a lot of people don’t have much faith in ArenaNet right now, but to argue that devs are intentionally concealing bugs and delaying fixes in order to increase cash shop revenue is laughable.

Report the bug, post it widely to make the community aware, and move on.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

It especially doesn’t make sense to punish the use of something that is likely to be purchased from the store. People will simply stop using the transmute stones which will cost ANet money. Not smart. They should fix this bug (benefit of the doubt) ASAP.

And thanks to the OP for the heads-up.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Seems like a simple issue.

Item X transmuted with Item Y becomes Item Z (With Item X’s stats and Y’s looks. Which is the function of the stones.)

Of course Mystic Forge recipe requires Item X + Widgets.

Item Z is no longer part of the forge recipe because it’s no longer an Item X.

That indeed does kinda suck.

Edit: Solution is to keep the “Name” as a hidden attribute so that the recipe can utilize an item in place of X as long as at one point in time it used to be an X.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: BlackDeath.8106

BlackDeath.8106

whaaaat?

lol.. I deleted my low level ones(not the fine one of course)…They are worthless. And next time read what the OP wrote, not just the title of the message.