Transparency regarding unsalvageable items.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sammie.2651

Sammie.2651

Right, so I was told by a GM to post in this forum. Recently, I purchased a Preserved Queen Bee for a friend which totaled at over 1,000 gold (all of the gold that I had on hand). Like I had done with the Ootz necklaces (refactor gems), I thought I would try the item on before sending it. The bee itself comes from a necklace that is meant to be salvaged. When I placed the bee in an exotic (non karma, non WvW), there is no reason why it shouldn’t have been salvageable. I say this because if you look at the Guild Wars 2 wiki page, it’s not listed under the list of exceptions. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage

There is no way I could have known, which makes this not a “me” problem, but a problem with the item itself. The issue was that I put it in a Twister in a Jar, the only exotic of its type which is not salvageable – something which isn’t made transparent. At the very least, the items description should tell you this (as the wiki doesn’t). Support was unable to help me, as they stated in two generic (partially copy-pasted) emails. They didn’t even tell me about the fact that this problem could be remedied by an upgrade extractor (something which, conveniently, would cost me gems).

I hope, for the sake of others that might make the same mistake that I did, this issue is fixed.

Posted by: Xavr.7943

Xavr.7943

I agree entirely with the inconsistency in that item. Ultra valuable upgrades exist in the game now and the Twister in a Jar is a very dangerous item. It should be salvageable or a tooltip added in its description and a warning prompt created when using upgrades on it.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Twister in a jar isnt’ salvagable?

I’ve always wished that unsalvageable items had a warning on them.
And if it cannot be forged it needs a warning for that.

WvW gear would read: Cannot be Salvaged, Cannot be Forged.
Karma gear would read: Cannot be Salvaged.

Seriously, there’s warnings about every dang thing else, but not that.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Yeah, the description should definitely mention that it isn’t salavageable.
But, to make sure, can’t you just put it in your inventory and double click a salvage kit? If an item is not salvageable, it will be dyed red in your inventory.

I realize it’s too late now though, I hope you find a solution.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Yeah, the description should definitely mention that it isn’t salavageable.
But, to make sure, can’t you just put it in your inventory and double click a salvage kit? If an item is not salvageable, it will be dyed red in your inventory.

I realize it’s too late now though, I hope you find a solution.

That’s fine when you’re salvaging things, but I’ve found some weird ones on the trading post that you can’t salvage and it’d be nice to know that lvl 4 sword you bought you can’t salvage for luck or whatever.

If there is something out of the ordinary about an item you should be able to see it in the tool tip. I lost a bursting sigil in a rifle because I forgot I bought it from wvw….I now don’t buy any gear from wvw.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Have you tried an extractor?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upgrade_Extractor

Expensive, I know, but so is the item you stand to lose.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

^—- this should work…

@OP: I 100% Agree salvageable vs non-salvageable should be clearly stated. Tons of us were pretty unhappy when the wardrobe change went live and runes we had on wvw/karma gear suddenly become unremoveable without a extractor

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I will say two things.

I would have expected twister in a jar to be unsalvageable because of its collection status. I’m aware that plenty of collection items are salvageable, and in fact salvaging items is a way to add them to a collection. I still would have expected it to not be salvageable.

It makes no sense to add an upgrade to an item you don’t intend to actually use it on. It’s just pointless and that was very much your own mistake, and a you problem.

Now, those things said, I completely agree that all items that are unsalvageable, regardless of where they come from or why they’re unsalvageable should have a disclaimer explaining the fact.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: MoS.5970

MoS.5970

Mentioned in the OP. Very convenient for Anet that the only resolution to this issue is either sacrifice a lot more gold, or spend real money when there is no way to tell currently.

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Mentioned in the OP. Very convenient for Anet that the only resolution to this issue is either sacrifice a lot more gold, or spend real money when there is no way to tell currently.

Well, the OP is also partially at fault for trusting the wiki to be 100% accurate about what can and cant be salvaged. It is, afterall, only managed by players. Unless someone went out of their way to test if something is salvageable, and then post on the wiki, there’s no way to know.

Sammie.2651

Well, the OP is also partially at fault for trusting the wiki to be 100% accurate about what can and cant be salvaged. It is, afterall, only managed by players. Unless someone went out of their way to test if something is salvageable, and then post on the wiki, there’s no way to know.

Right, but I’m not saying that I was depending on the wiki. I’m saying that I shouldn’t have to count on any website outside of the game to tell me whether an item is salvageable or not. As I said, in the past the only non-salvageable items in the game were ascended, WvW or karma. Because this is a regular exotic (yes, it is a collection item, but other exotic accessories (collection or not) have been salvageable), I was inclined to think that it would also be salvageable.

Regardless, this is more so about transparency regarding items in general, not trying to argue my support case (though I still believe it to be relevant to the discussion).

Also, Anet themselves trust the wiki enough for there to be an in-game command /wiki (item or word) that will take you there.

(edited by Sammie.2651)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

So wait, you put a 1,000 gold upgrade into an item to try it out? Without doing ANY type of research on either item (who knows, maybe the upgrade couldn’t be retrieved etc.)? You’ve got balls.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twister_in_a_Jar

Reads clearly:“This item is not salvageable, but can be used in the Mystic Forge.”

And while we are at it, WvW items too can’t be salvaged. Just fyi.

Also when using any salvage kit it should be very clear that it’s not salvagable since it turns read.

You are in Luck though since http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upgrade_Extractor might work.

Next time, do some basic research when risking this amount of wealth or be prepared to lose it.

Sammie.2651

To say that I should have to research any item I might consider salvaging is a little silly to me. Yes, I put the upgrade in to try it out. I trusted that it would be just like any other exotic of its type, and yes, as I stated in my first post, I understand that WvW items cannot be salvaged. Restating what I’ve said already: I’m not arguing my case, I’m arguing that Anet make this more transparent for future players that might run into the same problem.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

To say that I should have to research any item I might consider salvaging is a little silly to me. Yes, I put the upgrade in to try it out. I trusted that it would be just like any other exotic of its type, and yes, as I stated in my first post, I understand that WvW items cannot be salvaged. Restating what I’ve said already: I’m not arguing my case, I’m arguing that Anet make this more transparent for future players that might run into the same problem.

Oh not every item, just the ones you plan on putting upgrades worth 1/2 a legendary in.

Yes, a basic notification of if something is salvagable would be nice. I totally agree on that.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

That’s fine when you’re salvaging things, but I’ve found some weird ones on the trading post that you can’t salvage and it’d be nice to know that lvl 4 sword you bought you can’t salvage for luck or whatever.

I guess its a level 5 and not level 4 sword. Mostly that are just white items that you
can buy from NPC vendors. So never buy white stuff with a level that can divided
by 5, if you want just salvage fodder.

Oh c’mon .. how many people do you think will really have this one worst case
scenario ? Normally the most valueable upgrade you can put into a twister is
an exquisite ruby jewel.

And yes .. if you want to USE an item that you want to sell .. a little research is not that bad. Would you also equip a legendary before you sell it in hope that you can unbind it somehow ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.