Magic Carpet and Broomstick suggestion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

I love the idea of swiftness on carpet, broom, etc.

This thing are used in PvE, not anywhere else, so adding swiftness would not affect any1 in a negative way.

Also, every class has perma swiftness, so it would be more of an QoL thing.

Anyhow, I will not buy the toys until they give swiftness in PvE.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

But still, these are TOYS, bought for GEMS. They can’t give you paid ability to move fast and decide to choose your traitline and skills for pure damage, not sacrificing anything to move as fast as a thief (whose role is to be mobile and quick). If Anet ever decides to do this, I will loose my belief, that they cash shop system is the best out there in the MMO’s, and it will slowly begin to degradate into P2W (from my perspective and assumptions for future gemstore updates).

I can already maintain perma swiftness on foot on most classes.

Right now you’re saying It’s good to pay real money to travel SLOWER than I normally do.

I just want to move at the same speed.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I want my friends as a Travel toy and ride on their shoulders while they use swiftness and etc.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

The only reasonable argument I see against mounts is screen clutter which does not necessarily has to be the case if they continue making travel toys in style of broom and carpet.
Everything else borders with pathology.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The only reasonable argument I see against mounts is screen clutter which does not necessarily has to be the case if they continue making travel toys in style of broom and carpet.

It takes up resources.

“I have not seen a reasonable argument for mounts.”

Players get swiftness, whether permanent or not, based in traits, skills, and untilities equipped. They choose to give up other options to obtain this. Similar to how full DPS players give up defensive stats in order to kill enemies quicker. Part of the whole risk to reward thing.

Mounts would remove the point of needing to have swiftness skills equipped and probably even having them in the game. Why would I use any of the signets with 25% movement speed when I can just use a mount? Why would I use any skills that give movement speed when I can just use a mount?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

These toys do not need swiftness – they are not mounts (for the love of Dhuum, don’t add those to the game).

SBI

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

/is the forum bug going to live forever?

SBI

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Fully opposed. Toys should offer no advantages/buffs whatsoever.

That’s the slippery slope into mounts hell, and we need to avoid that place because of the fire/brimstone/wailing.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah, pretty much. Also, the only time screen clutter is really a big issue is during combat scenarios anyway, and mounts would presumably not work in combat just as they don’t work in wvw maps.

It’s really a non-issue, and all of the naysayers just have a really hard time accepting how weak all of their arguments are.

Zergs.9715

It takes up resources.

“I have not seen a reasonable argument for mounts.”

Players get swiftness, whether permanent or not, based in traits, skills, and untilities equipped. They choose to give up other options to obtain this. Similar to how full DPS players give up defensive stats in order to kill enemies quicker. Part of the whole risk to reward thing.

Mounts would remove the point of needing to have swiftness skills equipped and probably even having them in the game. Why would I use any of the signets with 25% movement speed when I can just use a mount? Why would I use any skills that give movement speed when I can just use a mount?

Sorry but I see nothing but willful ignorance here.

Resources
Yes, it takes up resources as does anything else related to the making of a game. So what? Gliders take up resources yet here we are. It also has a huge potential of making money.
If you meant to say that it takes CPU resources I’d argue that epilepsy inducing lightshow during Megadestroyer takes up infinitely more resources than mounts ever would.

Swiftness
When ppl say swiftness they mean 33% increase which doesn’t necessarily mean having a boon. You’re forgetting that beside boons we also have something called effects (25% speed, superspeed, auras etc) which cannot be affected by boon duration modifiers.
With that in mind, is that hard to imagine 33% effect that ends once you enter combat.

Combat
It. Dismounts. You.
Movement speed is incredibly important in combat and if you think that traveling toy with 0 effect in combat is a good enough substitute, please be my guest. Let’s not pretend that disengaging PVE fights is a rocket science and that mounts would utterly destroy such “delicate balance”. I mean it’s not like we can fly over the mobs and avoid combat altogether.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Welp, not sure how feasible it is, but if the player on a carpet is treated as a transformed new object, it might be possible. I know that if you’re transformed into, for example, the snow leopard in the Wayfarer Foothills heart, you can actually glide as that, without the glider itself appearing. As I can be quite childish, I find it endlessly funny. XD Also I was a golem the other day (don’t remember why), and that did gliding without the glider appearing. It was quite cool.

Regardless, I agree with Rose - some sort of paid upgrade, or a new purchase would likely be necessary if this was to be a thing.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Ceridwen.6703

I couldn’t give a cheeze doodle as to whether or not the toys got buffed for speed - although I’ll admit, mine just sit in the bank not doing much. I did enjoy having them "jump" up little ledges and similar though. Looks funny.

When I’ve played about on a carpet in the past and wanted to be fast everywhere, I did this: Be a mesmer. It’s the best profession anyway ( ). Use a set of armour with Centaur runes, and weapons with sigils of swiftness. Be at least level 60 for the superior versions of both runs and weapons. 80 is probably better, and Chrono’d up might be good too, but Chrono wasn’t out at the time of testing. Go to a low level (ish) map - I used Fields of Ruin - where you can kill things quickly. Do so, and ensure you have about 3 minutes, if not more, of stacked swiftness. Pop Signet of Inspiration and hop on your travel device of choice. Zip around not being in any way useful, but at least fast. Jump up and down ledges, trying to avoid the device being reset. Rinse repeat as necessary. Win!

Ayrilana.1396

. Sorry but I see nothing but willful ignorance here.

Please be respectful. No need to insult someone by calling them ignorant simply because you do not agree with them.

Resources
Yes, it takes up resources as does anything else related to the making of a game. So what? Gliders take up resources yet here we are. It also has a huge potential of making money.
If you meant to say that it takes CPU resources I’d argue that epilepsy inducing lightshow during Megadestroyer takes up infinitely more resources than mounts ever would.

Why do you think mini pets are hidden when there’s a large amount of people in an area regardless as to whether people are in combat. It takes resources to load every variation that a player model can be. You can see this by using standardized models when there’s a lot of people and then turning it off.

Swiftness
When ppl say swiftness they mean 33% increase which doesn’t necessarily mean having a boon. You’re forgetting that beside boons we also have something called effects (25% speed, superspeed, auras etc) which cannot be affected by boon duration modifiers.
With that in mind, is that hard to imagine 33% effect that ends once you enter combat.

Please read my post again. You keep bringing up combat when I have not been speaking at all about that.

Combat
It. Dismounts. You.
Movement speed is incredibly important in combat and if you think that traveling toy with 0 effect in combat is a good enough substitute, please be my guest. Let’s not pretend that disengaging PVE fights is a rocket science and that mounts would utterly destroy such “delicate balance”. I mean it’s not like we can fly over the mobs and avoid combat altogether.

Incredibly important you say? I can’t think of a situation where movement speed, while in combat, is incredibly important in PvE. There are instances where it could help but not to the point that I would call it “incredibly important”. Still, this doesn’t refute what I said.

I have still not seen an argument for mounts other than “I want it”.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Stop
Cease
Desist

UGH

/No!

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Welp, not sure how feasible it is, but if the player on a carpet is treated as a transformed new object, it might be possible. I know that if you’re transformed into, for example, the snow leopard in the Wayfarer Foothills heart, you can actually glide as that, without the glider itself appearing. As I can be quite childish, I find it endlessly funny. XD Also I was a golem the other day (don’t remember why), and that did gliding without the glider appearing. It was quite cool.

Regardless, I agree with Rose – some sort of paid upgrade, or a new purchase would likely be necessary if this was to be a thing.

If they did it it would need to be an in game earned option as the toy would remove the opportunity cost for traiting for permanent swiftness. It would be a bad idea to put that in the gem store.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I think some people really need to read about the concept of Opportunity Cost.
Which in this case it is about Exploration vs Combat.
This game call it Perma Swiftness: the choice between a very useful off combat speed boost and a more powerful combat option.

Why do you think the game doesn’t simply offer direct 33% speed boost runes, and instead compels you to incorporate perma-swiftness in your build?

Because this game values Exploration, and give it a wheight through an oportunity cost balance when compared to pure Combat. THIS IS GOOD.

If they at any point introduce a fixed 33% speed boost that doesn’t affect your build, the whole Exploration aspect of it will simply dissapear. Any trait, skill or combination of them that gives you Perma-Swiftness will lose value, and pure Combat meta will bcome even more prevalent. Worst: this new fixed meta will require everyone to take that special boost (In this case, an item-linked, money-linked boost), or be automatically subpar. We already suffer of a lack of variety in builds. This will make it 10 times worst, and trivialize all the amazing Exploration aspect of the game.

That is why mounts, travel items or even runes can’t offer direct 33% speed. Because they dont wan’t you to get an unfair PtW advantage which you will use to skip travel and minmax combat.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

(edited by Ardid.7203)

Ceridwen.6703

Regardless, I agree with Rose – some sort of paid upgrade, or a new purchase would likely be necessary if this was to be a thing.

If they did it it would need to be an in game earned option as the toy would remove the opportunity cost for traiting for permanent swiftness. It would be a bad idea to put that in the gem store.

Well, that’s food for thought, but we’re discussing gliding and the toys. This is probably the only thread that’s not on about swiftness and the toys this evening.

Zergs.9715

Please be respectful. No need to insult someone by calling them ignorant simply because you do not agree with them.

Resources

Why do you think mini pets are hidden when there’s a large amount of people in an area regardless as to whether people are in combat. It takes resources to load every variation that a player model can be. You can see this by using standardized models when there’s a lot of people and then turning it off.

Swiftness

Please read my post again.

Combat
It. Dismounts. You.

Incredibly important you say? I can’t think of a situation where movement speed, while in combat, is incredibly important in PvE. There are instances where it could help but not to the point that I would call it “incredibly important”. Still, this doesn’t refute what I said.

Ha! I’ll give you and example. Willful ignorance would be pretending not to know what that phrase means and then twisting my words in such a way that it turns out I called you stupid. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Yes minis disappear. So would the mounts of those in combat. If it gets really bad maybe they could implement default model while viewing other mounted ppl for those with slower rigs. I’ve seen Anet overcoming far greater technical difficulties than that. That goes double for the things that could bring lot of revenue. To put this into perspective. Gw2 is a game about fashion getting coolest skins etc and you can reduce other players to clay dolls if you want. I don’t see any outrage over this.

You’re taking this backwards. People are forced to pop their cooldowns, use weapon skills, leaps etc exactly because the base speed is crap and gets even worse if the mob tags you while you’re passing by. Traversing land between combats should not be an issue. It’s no bigger problem than using waypoints to hop from event to event.

“I want it” is a good enough reason and not the only one mind you. These 3 magic words bring money.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Laughing so hard. A long time ago, I said that if Anet decided mounts were worth selling, we would have mounts.

And now we are seeing the slow progression into that. Gliders in Core (see “no reason to have them” argument), and now this little change.

All of the dead horse gifs and expressions of horror accomplished nothing. More Mounts will come, people will buy and use them enthusiastically, and still stubbornly proclaim “It’s not a mount”

So very amusing.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Laughing so hard. A long time ago, I said that if Anet decided mounts were worth selling, we would have mounts.

And now we are seeing the slow progression into that. Gliders in Core (see “no reason to have them” argument), and now this little change.

All of the dead horse gifs and expressions of horror accomplished nothing. More Mounts will come, people will buy and use them enthusiastically, and still stubbornly proclaim “It’s not a mount”

So very amusing.

It is indeed. I wouldn’t be surprised if this update was to test the community’s response. But, yeah, I see no reason to assume we will never have mounts. They are a big seller in every game, and there aren’t very sound structural arguments against them.

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

These toys do not need swiftness – they are not mounts (for the love of Dhuum, don’t add those to the game).

Actually, they do sell them as mounts.

Ayrilana.1396

Resources

Swiftness

Please read my post again.

Combat
It. Dismounts. You.

Ha! I’ll give you and example. Willful ignorance would be pretending not to know what that phrase means and then twisting my words in such a way that it turns out I called you stupid. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Yes minis disappear. So would the mounts of those in combat. If it gets really bad maybe they could implement default model while viewing other mounted ppl for those with slower rigs. I’ve seen Anet overcoming far greater technical difficulties than that. That goes double for the things that could bring lot of revenue. To put this into perspective. Gw2 is a game about fashion getting coolest skins etc and you can reduce other players to clay dolls if you want. I don’t see any outrage over this.

You’re taking this backwards. People are forced to pop their cooldowns, use weapon skills, leaps etc exactly because the base speed is crap and gets even worse if the mob tags you while you’re passing by. Traversing land between combats should not be an issue. It’s no bigger problem than using waypoints to hop from event to event.

“I want it” is a good enough reason and not the only one mind you. These 3 magic words bring money.

I’m not pretending not to know what the phrase means. I stated something and you responded by calling willful ignorance simply because you disagreed with it. You then use that same phrase again when I asked you to be more respectful.

The base speed is not crap. I can guarantee you that if the 33% speed we have now was the default at launch, and we could still get up to an additional 33% movement speed, you’d claim that the new default was too slow. This game as easy access to swiftness and WP’s. There’s very little reason to need months.

It’s also funny that you claim other people’s arguments are weak and yet “I want it” is not. If you feel that is a valid argument then “I don’t want it” must also be a valid argument for those that choose to use it. Just because something could be sold in the gemstore does not mean that it should be available or even good for the game.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I don’t even care that much about them

…Not only are they perhaps the funnest collection item in a lot of MMOs

…they also enrich the setting and make it feel more immersive.

…a commonly held opinion. Not just mine.

So you consider them the most fun item in MMOs, that they enrich settings and make them more immersive, and that those are commonly held opinions…

But you don’t care?

No, you do care, are pushing an agenda (perfectly fine by the way. Stating a case for something you want from a service provider is perfectly reasonable IMO), and are attempting to dissemble behind claims that it doesn’t matter to you.

The arguments for and against can be summed up as:

I want it, and may be willing to pay for it.

or

I don’t want it and may be willing to pay into a game that doesn’t have it.

I think option one involves more revenue than option two would cost the company. Would it be enough more to offset development costs, etc? We do not know.

What we do know is that Anet is a business, in business to make money. If they thought mounts were the sure fire big bucks revenue generator that some posters claim…why don’t we have them?

My take is that developing mounts could impact game performance and would take resources away from other development, potentially content, priorities. I would rather the resources be spent on content. On the other hand, if Anet can determine that mounts would generate sufficient revenue to not only offset their development costs, but to also invest more in the game, without impacting performance….I would be all for them. 100%.

I think that its far more likely that if mounts were a runaway success, the money would not be invested in other content. Some of it would go to producing more mounts, and the like, while the rest would be pocketed by the company. The net result is that dev resources initially put into mounts rather than other content would represent an overall reduction in non-mount content production with essentially zero return for players with no interest in mounts. Likely a net loss overall for such players.

All of that said… I do not think that the travel toys should strip any existing swiftness.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Zergs.9715

I’m not pretending not to know what the phrase means. I stated something and you responded by calling willful ignorance simply because you disagreed with it. You then use that same phrase again when I asked you to be more respectful.

The base speed is not crap. I can guarantee you that if the 33% speed we have now was the default at launch, and we could still get up to an additional 33% movement speed, you’d claim that the new default was too slow. This game as easy access to swiftness and WP’s. There’s very little reason to need months.

It’s also funny that you claim other people’s arguments are weak and yet “I want it” is not. If you feel that is a valid argument then “I don’t want it” must also be a valid argument for those that choose to use it. Just because something could be sold in the gemstore does not mean that it should be available or even good for the game.

I just can see one other alternative and that would be inability to put things into perspective. After bandwagoning to mock and ridicule and dead horse gifs for even suggesting such thing, I find it hard to show more respect to the opposing opinion especially when it’s based on flawed reasoning. Here’s why.

We had perfectly fine gathering and salvaging tools already in game. We got infinite versions of them in gem store. Did they automatically nullified importance of vanilla versions? No, it’s convenience. Bank, merchant, TP access? Same thing. Watchwork pickaxe is clearly superior to any other in game. Does that mean I automatically must have it? No and those that do have it do not inconvenience me in any shape or form.
Is my gliding inconveniencing Free players and Vanilla owners, maybe?

You said you’re fine with swiftness and WP’s. Great, then don’t use mounts and leave me and others interested in such stuff to do with our PVE experience what we want. Why?
Because we aren’t inconveniencing you in any shape or form.

The “good of the game” is such a vague stance that anyone can assume it and claim authority. My “I want it” trumps your “I don’t want it” because it brings money, it’s for the good of the game just like all the examples above.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Sorry, no thanks. The game needs more opportunity costs in the build system, not less. Cosmetic mounts, knock yourselves out. Free (from a build perspective) speed boost OOC? Not until (I hope) the heat death of the universe.

Edit: I see from rereading the OP that the issue of “casting” swiftness is raised. That offers a different take than the title. If these “mount toys” permitted the player to use the build choices selected for movement, I’d be fine with that. I just don’t want there to be something you can purchase that removes the need to make the build choice. Another part of me notes that there are others who would want the speed boost to be inherent to the toy, regardless of build, and that I’m going to lobby against.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Tell me something, Zergs:
If you had a “travel item” with a fixed 33% speed, will you use still use any perma-swiftness build with that toon?
Or will you dump the perma-swiftness to be more effective in combat?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Ayrilana.1396

I just can see one other alternative and that would be inability to put things into perspective. After bandwagoning to mock and ridicule and dead horse gifs for even suggesting such thing, I find it hard to show more respect to the opposing opinion especially when it’s based on flawed reasoning. Here’s why.

We had perfectly fine gathering and salvaging tools already in game. We got infinite versions of them in gem store. Did they automatically nullified importance of vanilla versions? No, it’s convenience. Bank, merchant, TP access? Same thing. Watchwork pickaxe is clearly superior to any other in game. Does that mean I automatically must have it? No and those that do have it do not inconvenience me in any shape or form.
Is my gliding inconveniencing Free players and Vanilla owners, maybe?

You said you’re fine with swiftness and WP’s. Great, then don’t use mounts and leave me and others interested in such stuff to do with our PVE experience what we want. Why?
Because we aren’t inconveniencing you in any shape or form.

The “good of the game” is such a vague stance that anyone can assume it and claim authority. My “I want it” trumps your “I don’t want it” because it brings money, it’s for the good of the game just like all the examples above.

So anyone who disagrees with you must be simply unable to put things into perspective or using flawed reasoning? And reasoning of “because I want it” is vastly superior? There’s nothing wrong with suggesting something in the game but there is when you shrug off people’s concerns as ignorant or lacking perspective when the arguments for are simply because people want it and/or it’ll make Anet money. Players have brought up legitimate concerns why mounts should not be added and the group in favor have yet to explain why they should be.

Tools are not the same as mounts. Mounts would have a much larger impact which has been explained in this thread and countless others. The “good of the game” statement was more for what Anet felt was right based on the direction that they wanted to go. So far they have stated that they had no interest in adding mounts to the game and they haven’t gave any notice to suggest otherwise since then.

Otherwise I can use your arguments and argue for a consumable that instantly gives a player the following:

• Instant Level 80
  • Elite Specialization unlocked
  • Full ascended gear with with the ability to choose any stat combo of their choice
  • All maps fully revealed and all WP’s unlocked
  • Instant 10,000 AP (with the ability to buy more)

Many players would want this, it would make Anet a lot of money, and these don’t really affect other players. So clearly Anet should add it.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

No thanks. The travel toys are toys, not combat aids. We don’t want to get into that conversation again…

You can only use them outside of combat, so it’s not a combat aid.

Um, that’s his point … if you have swiftness roaming around on these things, they help you AVOID combats you don’t want to be in. Unacceptable.

Ashen.2907

No thanks. The travel toys are toys, not combat aids. We don’t want to get into that conversation again…

Um, that’s his point … if you have swiftness roaming around on these things, they help you AVOID combats you don’t want to be in. Unacceptable.

Perhaps I am missing something here, but he spoke, in the OP, of losing swiftness that he had cast. He seems to be implying that he is referring to a build that includes swiftness on its own not swiftness gained from the travel device itself. So, he can already avoid combats that he doesn’t wan’t to be in, due to his build providing swiftness. The travel toy would just allow him to look different while doing what he can already do with the same opportunity cost he is already paying.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I find this comment offensive. You call me borderline pathologic simply because I disagree you. Your behavior here is abhorrent.

Zergs.9715

Otherwise I can use your arguments and argue for a consumable that instantly gives a player the following:

• Instant Level 80
  • Elite Specialization unlocked
  • Full ascended gear with with the ability to choose any stat combo of their choice
  • All maps fully revealed and all WP’s unlocked
  • Instant 10,000 AP (with the ability to buy more)

Many players would want this, it would make Anet a lot of money, and these don’t really affect other players. So clearly Anet should add it.

Yes you may use my arguments and I’d completely support all of the above. Everything you listed above speak “respecting customer’s time” to me.

• I can already push chars to 80 in no time at all and this would only reduce amount of clicking
  • shrug sure
  • To allow me to skip the worst idea ever implemented? Where do I sign? It’s not like it’s a vertical progression or anything. It’s for fractals only after all.
  • Yeah after 10 chars I have I’d welcome something like that with open hands.
  • AP leaderboard is a joke anyway and you can already buy APs with real money only not that specific amount.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Toys already provide massive amounts of combat utility. Hiding weapons alone is enough to cause engaging such players to require extra steps of caution or simply not bother engaging them on the basis that I may not have inclinations as to what builds they may be running until it’s too late.

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

Man I remember when the Watchwork Mining Pick was put into the store and people complained about it being P2W since it gave people free materials to sell and make more money doing the same thing as other picks.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

No. They’re just toys (and ugly ones at that, imho). They aren’t mounts and they should not provide any sort of buff other than being a cosmetic thing if somone likes them and wants to buy them.

Devildoc.6721

I think some people really need to read about the concept of Opportunity Cost.
Which in this case it is about Exploration vs Combat.
This game call it Perma Swiftness: the choice between a very useful off combat speed boost and a more powerful combat option.

Why do you think the game doesn’t simply offer direct 33% speed boost runes, and instead compels you to incorporate perma-swiftness in your build?

Because this game values Exploration, and give it a wheight through an oportunity cost balance when compared to pure Combat. THIS IS GOOD.

If they at any point introduce a fixed 33% speed boost that doesn’t affect your build, the whole Exploration aspect of it will simply dissapear. Any trait, skill or combination of them that gives you Perma-Swiftness will lose value, and pure Combat meta will bcome even more prevalent. Worst: this new fixed meta will require everyone to take that special boost (In this case, an item-linked, money-linked boost), or be automatically subpar. We already suffer of a lack of variety in builds. This will make it 10 times worst, and trivialize all the amazing Exploration aspect of the game.

That is why mounts, travel items or even runes can’t offer direct 33% speed. Because they dont wan’t you to get an unfair PtW advantage which you will use to skip travel and minmax combat.

My ele sacrifices no combat effectiveness for permanent swiftness. The choice isn’t more effective combat vs faster travel, the choice is between faster travel, and using the item that I paid real money for that makes me go slower.

Devildoc.6721

Toys already provide massive amounts of combat utility. Hiding weapons alone is enough to cause engaging such players to require extra steps of caution or simply not bother engaging them on the basis that I may not have inclinations as to what builds they may be running until it’s too late.

They’re not usable in pvp or wvw.

What are you going to hide your weapons from pve mobs? Okay you go do that. I’m sure that’s very beneficial.

Devildoc.6721

Perhaps I am missing something here, but he spoke, in the OP, of losing swiftness that he had cast. He seems to be implying that he is referring to a build that includes swiftness on its own not swiftness gained from the travel device itself. So, he can already avoid combats that he doesn’t wan’t to be in, due to his build providing swiftness. The travel toy would just allow him to look different while doing what he can already do with the same opportunity cost he is already paying.

You don’t lose swiftness that’s currently on you but you can’t refresh it. So the result is the same, you have to get off your travel toy in order to cast swiftness again. So basically, having the travel toy auto cast out of combat, is useless, because unless you’re in a town, where you have a permanent swiftness passive from mastery, and there’s no combat anyway, you have to go slow to use your carpet/broom/tunneler.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I will only speak from the perspective of a thief in order to be specific.

When I move around a map, I use shortbow 5, dashing forward dodge (dd trait), withdrawing forward to gain distance, and casting roll for initiative. The difference between this and simply running 33% movement speed that drops if a mob manages to hit me, or I fall down a slope is a joke. I can safely say that this item would not change how I play my thief, but sometimes when lazy, I could activate my toy and have some run running around on a magic carpet or tunneling underground, still moving fast, but lacking all the extra mobility that skills offer.

Other classes have similar skills, but not to the extent of thief, but it is substantial, and a min-maxer would not use toys. So they are just a fun alternative, and not a boost, if you feel they are, use them, but your build will not be stronger for open world.

Ashen.2907

You don’t lose swiftness that’s currently on you but you can’t refresh it. So the result is the same, you have to get off your travel toy in order to cast swiftness again. So basically, having the travel toy auto cast out of combat, is useless, because unless you’re in a town, where you have a permanent swiftness passive from mastery, and there’s no combat anyway, you have to go slow to use your carpet/broom/tunneler.

Thanks for the clarification.

I do think that if your build is paying the opportunity costs for the swiftness then allowing you to maintain it while using a travel device seems reasonable.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

We already have mounts in the game. /shrug

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

1. you can pre stack swiftness,
  2. you can ride your toy where you want to go using your speedbuff, until it runs out
  3. no combat skills, or other skills fot that matter, as it is a toy, not a mount.
  4. no perma speed boosts from skills as they are disabled, no weapon modifiers as thay are disabled. Just your toy. I’m wondering where traits would fall in….stilll thinking about it…
  5. any perma speed boost on toy = P2W, or at least an unfair advantage. if one person with proffesion A would get a trait based speedbuff fairness woud be lost imho
23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Devildoc.6721

1. you can pre stack swiftness,
  2. you can ride your toy where you want to go using your speedbuff, until it runs out
  3. no combat skills, or other skills fot that matter, as it is a toy, not a mount.
  4. no perma speed boosts from skills as they are disabled, no weapon modifiers as thay are disabled. Just your toy. I’m wondering where traits would fall in….stilll thinking about it…
  5. any perma speed boost on toy = P2W, or at least an unfair advantage. if one person with proffesion A would get a trait based speedbuff fairness woud be lost imho

I’m not asking for an advantage, I’m asking to not have a penalty to use an item I paid for. Right now to use that item, I take a PENALTY to use it. A PENALTY I paid for with real cash.