Traveling to LA for free!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

if one can go sPvP and go gate to LA for free why other must pay for teleporting from one place in open world to LA?

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

Posted by: ESKan.6782

ESKan.6782

Waypoints exist so you can save time at the expense of money. If you’re willing to put the time into going through double the loading screens, there’s no need for you to fork over the cash as well.

[PD] – Far Shiverpeaks.
Nameless Inversion/Ascension/Evasion/Ruination/Impression/Perdition/Compassion/Tactician
Guild Wars 2 will be an amazing game when it’s finished. Compare Prophecies to EotN!

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

How cheap can you be?

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

I think it’s disgusting that they prevented those “Other” from going into Hearth of the Mists – LA.
Just think of the thousands of gold that they could have saved if they were allowed access to that option.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

thousands? really?

Posted by: Todd.6573

Todd.6573

Is this really an issue for people?
Double loading screens just to save a silver?
Thats like three mobs..

Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s not really a free waypoint. You pay in time, not silver. The time for 2 loading screens and the time to run across the area to the portal instead of a couple of silver is your cost.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Not going to happen.

It would mean that anybody who bought the royal pass, airship pass or to some extent the home portal stone would be undermined. These items are available in the gem-store and thus can be bought with real money.

Sure you can get to LA (and thus Southsun Cove and any of the racial cities) for free, if you wanted to spare a couple of silver. But it’s inconvenient and means extra loading times.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

if one can go sPvP and go gate to LA for free why other must pay for teleporting from one place in open world to LA?

I’ve always wondered this. But if it was to ever happen it’d most likely be in the form of an item that takes up space and costs gems. They simply don’t want to and that’s pretty much all there is to it. Get an SSD.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

It would mean that anybody who bought the royal pass, airship pass or to some extent the home portal stone would be undermined. These items are available in the gem-store and thus can be bought with real money.

They were undermined the moment they appeared in the gem store.

For over 3 years now, I’ve been going to my server’s WvW borderland to sell stuff, bank and craft.

For free, including a return trip to the exact spot in the open world I left. Some of my characters haven’t been to a city in years. Literal years.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

They were undermined the moment they appeared in the gem store.

For over 3 years now, I’ve been going to my server’s WvW borderland to sell stuff, bank and craft.

For free, including a return trip to the exact spot in the open world I left. Some of my characters haven’t been to a city in years. Literal years.

I also jump into WvW to craft stuff, merch and pick up from the trading post.

The items still offer convenience:
-I don’t have to queue up for borderlands if they are full (which happens often on the WvW-orientated servers very often).
-All merchants/utilities are very close together and close to the spawn with the airship/royal pass
-The Royal Pass is especially useful as it means a free waypoint from anywhere into DR, which offers services outside the Royal Terrace
-Players can sit AFK in these areas for far longer than they would be able to sit AFK in borderlands.

Allowing everybody free way-pointing into cities removes a gold-sink from the economy. No, it’s not a huge gold-sink, but it is substantial enough, considering waypointing into cities is quite common for any player.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

Who do you mean with “other”? I assume every character is able to travel to LA through the PvP lobby. If you want to travel to the other cities, travel within LA is free. Just jump to the waypoint in front of the portals, but it is rarely required to travel to other cities than LA.

For the gold sink: I travel approx. 3 times a day to LA through the PvP lobby. I played approx. 1000 days since release, which makes about 3000 times a travelling cost of about 2 silver, which makes about 60 gold. 60 gold is not nothing. It’s not much for a long time player, but it is not nothing as well. It’s the difference of having a bunch of exotic weapons skins more, or not having that skins. Or the the full equipment of runes of strength for your armor. Just for not directly travelling to LA but through one more loading screen. I have GW2 on SSD, so loading is reasonably fast.
However, it’s one of the things I passionately hate in GW2: give up convenience for sparing a little bit of money. How nice was travelling in GW1!

By the way, since a few months there is a generic merchant, account bank access and trading post access in the PvP lobby. If you only need these services and no crafting access, just enter the PvP lobby at no cost, and if you leave it, you even return to the place you were before.

(edited by Silmar Alech.4305)

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

As someone who just bought an airship pass, I’d still love it if WPing to LA were free. I habitually go through the Heart of the Mists to get back to LA and would love having one fewer stop. It’s not that bad since there’s a bank, TP, and merchant all right there to divest myself of my ill-gotten gains but it would be nice to not having to jump there unless I wanted to.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Pro tip: You can get to anywhere in the game world for free with the push of a button. Just keep that “W” held down and you’ll be on your merry way!

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

People are troubled about pixelated traveling cost of few silvers? Really?
This puts a whole new perspective on why there’s so many complains on the price of HoT.
On the other hand, why a few more loading screens are that much of a problem?
Does your game load 5 mins everytime you hit a loading screen?
My game loads them in less then 5 seconds. Not an issue at all.
Does this even had to be made into an entirely new topic?

(edited by Rain.7543)

Blaine Tog.8304

I find it interesting that you think a few silver (maybe a half-dozen to a dozen times per gaming session) is inconsequential, but the space for new forum topics is at a high premium.

The OP wasn’t whining or demanding anything. It’s just a suggestion for a bit of steamlining, a small QoL change that might be nice. It’s so strange to see how many people are getting themselves up in a tizzy over this.

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

I find it interesting that you think a few silver (maybe a half-dozen to a dozen times per gaming session) is inconsequential, but the space for new forum topics is at a high premium.

The OP wasn’t whining or demanding anything. It’s just a suggestion for a bit of steamlining, a small QoL change that might be nice. It’s so strange to see how many people are getting themselves up in a tizzy over this.

It’s just funny because how cheap WPing is.

I mean it takes a truly cheap person to consider this better than just clicking the WP.

no offense OP

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

Never said the OP was whining or anything. Also im not getting myself up “in a tizzy” or anything. I just found it really strange that someone will take the time out of his day to think about this, nevermind go into the forums to discuss it.
Suggestions are fine, as long as they are reasonable and have any reason to be overlooked.
There is so many ways to make fast gold in this game, tbh i don’t even notice that i’ve been taxed with something for my fast travels. Think about it. 1 travel tax is no more then a few silvers. I understand if it was a few gold, then certainly would’ve been felt
a lot, since I use to jump fairly often between zones, as Im sure many others do so as well. But being taxed a few silvers for this, it doesn’t even warrant any notice or discussion how it should be removed.
Its nothing more then a gold sink, just like the TP’s listing taxes (altho much minor one) allowing the economy to be healthy and balanced. It will not be removed, it has been discussed before, therefore i don’t see any reason for another topic on the subject.

Blaine Tog.8304

Suggestions are fine, as long as they are reasonable and have any reason to be overlooked.

So what’s unreasonable about this one? He’s not suggesting the removal of all waypoint costs, just the waypoint costs to Lion’s Arch since there’s a backdoor method to get to LA for free anyway.

There is so many ways to make fast gold in this game, tbh i don’t even notice that i’ve been taxed with something for my fast travels. Think about it. 1 travel tax is no more then a few silvers. I understand if it was a few gold, then certainly would’ve been felt
a lot, since I use to jump fairly often between zones, as Im sure many others do so as well. But being taxed a few silvers for this, it doesn’t even warrant any notice or discussion how it should be removed.
Its nothing more then a gold sink, just like the TP’s listing taxes (altho much minor one) allowing the economy to be healthy and balanced. It will not be removed, it has been discussed before, therefore i don’t see any reason for another topic on the subject.

If it’s an inconsequential amount of money over the long term, then why not just remove it?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Not going to happen.

Sure you can get to LA (and thus Southsun Cove and any of the racial cities) for free, if you wanted to spare a couple of silver. But it’s inconvenient and means extra loading times.

Naw, it has nothing to do with airship and royal terrace — ANet didn’t change it years ago (before those luxuries existed), when people first starting using WvW and PvP lobby to avoid WP fees. Further, those items are still much more convenient than heading to LA and using its portals to move to other cities.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”