Traversal in PoF

Traversal in PoF

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TactualRain.7109

TactualRain.7109

Hey all.

Been a long-time GW2 player, haven’t played too much lately because HoT introduced a bunch of cool things, but also something I didn’t much enjoy – the map confusion, 28 levels of verticality per zone, traversal skills needed to not /headdesk, etc.

Looking at the PoF video, it looks to me like this is back to GW2 original edition’s view of the world – mostly flat, with mounts. Sounds like a win!

Anyone know whether or not this is the case, or it’s going to be more of an orangutan simulator like HoT? The inability to enter a flow state with HoT really put me off (I get not everyone has this issue, but – small sample size, I agree – my friends who started HoT with me stopped playing for the same sort of confusion issue).

Traversal in PoF

TactualRain.7109

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/I-think-I-m-missing-something/first#content is where I asked about this – got some very helpful replies at the time but ultimately still found it a hard game to love navigating. Which is sad, because the rest of it was great!

Traversal in PoF

Posted by: Calador.2804

Calador.2804

Not sure why so many people don’t like HoT’s. I for one thought gliders were epic!

Traversal in PoF

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Not sure why so many people don’t like HoT’s. I for one thought gliders were epic!

It wasn’t the gliders that were the problem, it was the may layout. Particularly maps like Verdant Brink and Tangled Depths, where paths were so twisted and convoluted that it made the map hard to navigate on foot. From what I’ve seen in PoF though, it seems that this issue has been addressed with much flatter and less convoluted maps. I recommend watching WP’s post-show. He actually has some game play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOr-LO38Mts

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Traversal in PoF

TactualRain.7109

It wasn’t the gliders that were the problem, it was the may layout.

This. I loved the gliders, they were High Cool It was the layout that made me feel mostly stupid and frustrated.

Particularly maps like Verdant Brink and Tangled Depths, where paths were so twisted and convoluted that it made the map hard to navigate on foot.

Yes! I mean, the first taste of HoT is the Silverwastes that were really cool. I was like, “I’m in!” and then I get to the real starter zone, and I started to despise the map design.

From what I’ve seen in PoF though, it seems that this issue has been addressed with much flatter and less convoluted maps. I recommend watching WP’s post-show. He actually has some game play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOr-LO38Mts

That was excellent, thanks. Yes, it looks like that map design is better; you just hop on your mount and off you go. Thanks for the link, pro job

Traversal in PoF

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Hey all.

Been a long-time GW2 player, haven’t played too much lately because HoT introduced a bunch of cool things, but also something I didn’t much enjoy – the map confusion, 28 levels of verticality per zone, traversal skills needed to not /headdesk, etc.

Looking at the PoF video, it looks to me like this is back to GW2 original edition’s view of the world – mostly flat, with mounts. Sounds like a win!

Anyone know whether or not this is the case, or it’s going to be more of an orangutan simulator like HoT? The inability to enter a flow state with HoT really put me off (I get not everyone has this issue, but – small sample size, I agree – my friends who started HoT with me stopped playing for the same sort of confusion issue).

Yes, PoF will be more platforming but on mounts. The mounts are not “cool normal map” mounts, but portable jumping mushrooms, etc. There are a couple of videos out there from people who got to actually play in the expansion already and the mounts are acquired just like your first glider – by a Mastery. The Raptor mount is a long-jumping Mastery, the “kangaroo rat” mount is a high-jumping Mastery, etc. So instead of having these gimmicks in the landscape you now will have them traveling with you.

Yay.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Traversal in PoF

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Yeah, gliders were the best QoL update to the game ever. I played enough HoT to get that skill and I was out of there. Gliders weren’t the problem, obscure vertical maps which required platforming and platforming tools were the problem. It was an odd kind of platforming where you knew you needed to jump to some platform but didn’t know where it was, so your first jump was always to the youtube platform to find out where the next platform was.

I honestly don’t know whether the mounts are solely platforming tools. I have no problem with them being able to jump over stuff, I love that. If they are required for platforming in the core game for objectives like HoT I’m definitely outta here for another expansion.

Traversal in PoF

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Mostly flat? Not according to https://youtu.be/KZM0bJeCL-I?t=9m45s

Traversal in PoF

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I don’t get why people complain about navigating HoT maps. yes, its bad without the masteries, but with the masteries you literally just mushroom/wallow/waypoint everywhere that you want to go within seconds.

With advanced gliding you can even glide across the whole maps.

If you think its going to be that different in PoF, then I wouldn’t bet on it. The LS3 maps were more flat and yes you could walk everywhere but they were still difficult to navigate, just like Malchor’s Leap and Mount Maelstrom in Central Tyria.

There has always been maps like that since launch and always will be. The difference is, we won’t have something like wallows to cross them instantly.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Traversal in PoF

TactualRain.7109

So instead of having these gimmicks in the landscape you now will have them traveling with you.

That actually sounds really neat Willing to give it a shot and see if it stops the amazing agony.

Traversal in PoF

TactualRain.7109

so your first jump was always to the youtube platform to find out where the next platform was.

Actual LOL