Traversing Tyria is a pain (slow).

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Goliath.7546

Goliath.7546

The game has so much complex stuff technologically, I don’t see why mounts aren’t in the game. I’m guessing there’s some concern balance-wise in terms of combat? Even if there isn’t I would recommend they be out-of-combat only.

But outside of combat, there should be mounts. Tyria is so cool to explore but it gets really really boring running around at a snail’s pace.

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Speedboost much?

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

GW2 maps are super tiny in general and feel compressed together. There is no feeling of distance if you go anywhere.
You can run from one end of Tyria to the other in what – 30min if you take it slow?

I am a big fan of mounts if done right, but there is simply no space (literally) for them in GW2.

I say, get rid of 80% of the waypoints to give this game some (artificial) size. If you want to add mounts, than you’d have to give players maps like 5 to 10 times the size.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Most professions have access to Swiftness with a good uptime. Also Signets that offer a permanent speed boost, leap skills, teleport skills etc. Learn to use them and moving around won’t be slow anymore.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

No No NO, mounts in this game just do not belong. Mounts look stupid in most game, but I can see in some it can work. This game is just not made for mounts.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

You’ve clearly never tried running on foot in WoW. GW2 run speed is basically the same as WoW mounts.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Yes, access to speed boons is considered a balance issue, there will never be mounts that offer innate speed boons (even outside of combat, because it’s about how fast you can get to a fight that ANet is trying to control) as long as this remains true.

The day we see this no longer being true is the day Guardians, Mesmers, and Engineers get nerfed in exchange for run speed signets and/or early run speed traits.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Yes, access to speed boons is considered a balance issue, there will never be mounts that offer innate speed boons (even outside of combat, because it’s about how fast you can get to a fight that ANet is trying to control) as long as this remains true.

The day we see this no longer being true is the day Guardians, Mesmers, and Engineers get nerfed in exchange for run speed signets and/or early run speed traits.

Nah, no mounts in PvP and WvW would simply fix this problem.
Just mounts in PvE – problem solved.

But as I stated above, the map design just is not set up with mounts in mind.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Nah, no mounts in PvP and WvW would simply fix this problem.
Just mounts in PvE – problem solved.

But as I stated above, the map design just is not set up with mounts in mind.

Have you ever tried to run just on foot without any speed buffs from the Blazeridge Steppes from the most southern point to the most northern point and stopped the time how long that takes you?

You need easily more than 5 minutes or longer until you are from the most southern spot to the most norther spot of that map without any speed boost or without usign WP.
Enough time, in which a huge zerg easily could have busted down already the Shatterer, before you are even there!!! Mounts would absolutely help out there, if you totally despise to use WP, because they are clearly made for lazy people which want just to be everywhere instantly.

Also dont forget, that traveling on foot within 1 map maybe goes fast, if the map is small. But then try to travel from the Grove fpor example to the Flame Citadel, where you have to cross multiple different maps just on foot, without WPing, without using any speed buffs.

This will easily take you way more than 10 minutes and longer, until you reach the Flame Citadel, which would go alot faster and would be much more fun, if you could travel such long roads where you have to travel across multiple maps could be done with a mount, that lets you travel those ways faster, than by just running all the way from the Grove to the Flame Citadel….

Thats something, that alot of people always forget in their arguments, cause they all are way too much focused on just only single maps, and totally forget, that traveling in the world of tyria means also, that you can travel from Map X to Y and have to cross multiple other maps between them ….

If Anet would finally implement optional mounts, such junk like Run Speed Increasing Utility Skills/Traits and run Speed increasign sigils/runes would become finally completely obsolete ands their effects could get exchange with more useful effects.
Such things like Swiftness could also get rebalanced then among all classes better, from what Mesmers and Guardians would profitate then also.
Swiftness in itself is just a useless boon, because the only thign it is good for is travelign faster, or fleeing faster basically, which provides nothign for the games combat system, or in fact of fleeing faster is totally counterproductive to it ….

Games have developed themself over the past 10 years incredible much, so that alot of the issues people complain about mounts should be absolutely no problem at all anymore for game developers today to easily solve those issues people have with them due to biased fears peopel have still from their made experiences they made with much older games, than GW2 that they played all those years ago, before even GW1 existed

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

How many more Mounts threads do we need? Is this the level of desperation the pro-mount camp has lowered themselves to that they need to start a completely new thread every few hours if they don’t get their own way?

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

too bad there wasn’t a mount thread just within 2 posts of this one.

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

Yeah, there’s still a mount thread on the first page so……

Attachments:

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I am still waiting on a “why cant we have pet duels ala pokemon style” as another MMO got it.

You want mounts, you join that MMO offering them

You feel the world is so tiny with waypoints? Stop using them and run from point a to b.

Stop beating this poor ole dead horse already.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

Soren Draa, to
Twilight Arbor, to
Caudecus Manor to,
Honor of the Waves to,
Citadel of flame to,
Ascalonian Catacombs to,
Sorrows Embrace to,
Crucible of Eternity to,
Arah….

1 hour, 22 min.
(thief actually, Warrior was 1 hour 27 min )

Orpheal.8263

Soren Draa, to
Twilight Arbor, to
Caudecus Manor to,
Honor of the Waves to,
Citadel of flame to,
Ascalonian Catacombs to,
Sorrows Embrace to,
Crucible of Eternity to,
Arah….

1 hour, 22 min.
(thief actually, Warrior was 1 hour 27 min )

is this the time you needed to run from each place to another compeltely? Just on foot, without any speed buffs/traits/signets that boost your running speed?

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

for the thief it was assassin signet and cleaver use of Shortbow, shadow step and steal.

Warrior was with warrior sprint, great sword and sword, warhorn rotations.

but yes it was running the whole way. The orginal run Myself and my Brother did back when was to scout the path for the “Pillgrimage” that my guild would host every week. it has since evolved into the “crusade”. The orginal Run took us 1 hour 47 min. i have since redone the run to see if i could make a better time. and i did.

Kaiyanwan.8521

As I said, the world is tiny by nature. Mounts would just make it feel more like a shoebox, and who would ever want that.

I once was leveling a char in the labyrinth and thought, “today I will run to Arah from Lion’s Arch, just so I have a waypoint there!”
I was there so fast, that I actually ran back to get some more waypoints just to actually spend some time.

GW2 has a tiny world, anyone who wants to get through it even faster does not realize how little landmass there is…

Orpheal.8263

ah ok, so you used movement skills/speed buffs, because without using shadow steps, steal teleports and sprints, it surely would have take much longer.
So the original run with 1h 47 was then without any speedbuffs and movement skills? but that would be also my guess, what such ya run should roughly take, if you completely ignore all enemies and bypass them just normally running the most ideal ways.

@ Kay:
the world is bigger than you think, it is naturally tiny for people, that are used to make usage of WPs and permanently use any kinds of speed buffs they can get, because this lets you quickly lose the scope for how big the world of Tyria really is.

Make a travel from Rata Sum to the Fields of Ruin just only on feet using no speed buffs, no movement skilsl, just plain normal running and repeat again, that Tyria is small.
It seems naturally small to you, if you just take only a cheap route, that provides only half of the maximum route length, that is possible on the world map…

PS: Id love to see from you or anyone else that is able of making this a video of showing exactly, how long you took to make this travel fro mrata Sum to the Fields of Ruin

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Kaiyanwan.8521

Nope the world is really small.

Try any other game that was designed with mounts in minds and just walk from A to B.
Like just run through Cyrodiil in ESO, or from one end of a continent in WoW to another. Run from the Shire to Mirkwood in LotRO, or through Khitai in AoC.

Those games have been designed around mounts, these games have expansive maps.

GW2 maps are designed to be walked through. They are small by nature. Mounts would not make sense.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Make a travel from Rata Sum to the Fields of Ruin just only on feet using no speed buffs, no movement skilsl, just plain normal running and repeat again, that Tyria is small.

It would be a matter of a minute or 2, depending on how long the loading screens take.

1. From Rata Sum take WPs to get to the Asura gate to Lion’s Arch.
2. Go through gate to Lion’s Arch.
3. Run to Asura gate to Divinity’s Reach.
4. Go through gate to Divinity’s Reach.
5. Take WP to Rurikton district.
6. Run to Asura gate to Fields of Ruin.
7. Go through gate to Fields of Ruin.

Anyone who WANTS to run over that territory without taking WPs or using Asura gates or using speed buffs or movement skills, that’s their choice and their problem, not mine or the game’s.

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

The idea of a fast mount or faster running speed is to allow for someone to still enjoy the world but also get to places faster. Its keeping a level of immersion that porting everywhere when you need to travel fast breaks. Also in a short gaming session which many people only have time for you can explore many zones fast and run across a greater variety of events just because faster land travel will allow for that.

Right now we only have porting fast to get places fast or running slow so people run a short area in maybe one zone then port a huge distance.There are people who run everywhere and so say twenty minutes travel to them may not be much but I and many people like me may only have a short time to play and experience the world.

It may be time to do a dungeon, or to run around a zone for a daily and a few events. But sometimes I want the chance to explore and experience more in my short time which if I had a fast mount or running speed I could get through maybe three or four zones just riding and coming across a variety of events in a variety of settings.

To be honest I see not having mounts or high speeds for exploration but many waypoints a complete contradiction to what Anet mean for this world. ie exploration of its beauty. I mean they even built in vistas with cinematics just to show it off. But I will only ever explore it fully once with one of my characters because its too much of an effort.

People that don’t see the need for mounts or that hate them are like people who don’t see the need for bread or hate it. You may say there are potatoes, rice, pasta so who needs bread? Some of us may just like a nice quick but enjoyable home made sandwich instead of cooking but also instead of a packet of potato chips/crisps.

I hope the metaphor here makes sense.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

joneb.5679

It would be a matter of a minute or 2, depending on how long the loading screens take.

Anyone who WANTS to run over that territory without taking WPs or using Asura gates or using speed buffs or movement skills, that’s their choice and their problem, not mine or the game’s.

MMORPG games are meant for a variety of people to enjoy and not just you and people like you. You are no more or less important to the games success than me.

I use all the movement methods and they are still pretty poor. Asura gates and WPs also need a loading screen often and I can be on a loading screen for over 30 seconds to a minute. I cant afford a better computer. Waypoints and Asura gates are often world avoiding. 25% speed buffs are still slow. Using whatever skill and traits a character has access to I still find they don’t allow for a decent running time. Its so easy to pull aggro and be slowed.

Also there are people who have a short play time and want a chance to experience a more immersive game in that time. Travel and do events in three or four zones, no WPs but not stuck to one or two zones either to get their daily. I find nothing worse in my short time to play running around missing events or having to wp fast to get to an event. Crossing ground faster would help alleviate that.

them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Lazuli.2098

People that don’t see the need for mounts or that hate them are like people who don’t see the need for bread or hate it. …

Your eating bread does not interfere with my gluten intolerance, but as has been explained in all the various other threads begging for mounts, mounts would interfere with the enjoyment of many people playing the current game.

joneb.5679

People that don’t see the need for mounts or that hate them are like people who don’t see the need for bread or hate it. …

Your eating bread does not interfere with my gluten intolerance, but as has been explained in all the various other threads begging for mounts, mounts would interfere with the enjoyment of many people playing the current game.

No it wouldn’t if implemented properly. Not at all. It adds a third option to how to play the game and you can play it your way still.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

The game has so much complex stuff technologically, I don’t see why mounts aren’t in the game. I’m guessing there’s some concern balance-wise in terms of combat? Even if there isn’t I would recommend they be out-of-combat only.

But outside of combat, there should be mounts. Tyria is so cool to explore but it gets really really boring running around at a snail’s pace.

GW2 is not the game that you just came from. There are no mounts and there never will be. Waypoints are already EVERYWHERE and provide no challenge.

joneb.5679

Just to be different for different sakes does not make a good game. If mounts can not be added the running should be improved and made faster.

What a contradiction to make such a beautiful game and have travel an instant world avoider or such a time waster. Some of us have less time to play than others but still want to enjoy the world.

Lazuli.2098

No it wouldn’t if implemented properly. Not at all. It adds a third option to how to play the game and you can play it your way still.

Only if they were not able to be used in battle, were invisible in towns and around NPC that characters need to talk to, gave no advantages such as speed buffs (EDIT: not any additonal speed buff above the current 15%, 25% and 33% increases) , and were culled (EDIT2: along with their riders) when too many players were in one map that there was lag.

(edited by Lazuli.2098)

joneb.5679

Only if they were not able to be used in battle, were invisible in towns and around NPC that characters need to talk to, gave no advantages such as speed buffs (EDIT: not any additonal speed buff above the current 15%, 25% and 33% increases) , and were culled (EDIT2: along with their riders) when too many players were in one map that there was lag.

I can accept disallowed in cities and not allowed close to friendly npcs or important enemy pcs as a given. Speed buff should be much better but I would accept a constant 33% to compromise. They are not for battle, cant be used to attack and enough damage from a basic mob will cause a dismount. A certain amount of lag would cause a cull of rider and mount until dismount. Rider to be warned. Also no mini pet and mount at same time.

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Why is this 14030343th thread about mounts not closed or merged yet?

The suggestion has been made and discussed so many times it’s bordering on ridiculous at this point. Anet has heard your suggestions and will either do it or not at this point. Stop bringing it up!

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

The suggestion has been made and discussed so many times it’s bordering on ridiculous at this point. Anet has heard your suggestions and will either do it or not at this point. Stop bringing it up!

I agree, I think Anet should just condense these threads all into a “never gonna happen” thread like they did with Cantha.

Kaiyanwan.8521

I for one think this discussion is new and exciting!

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

When each map area (excluding the Silverwastes) has from 14 to 18 WP’s, mounts are unnecessary in GW2. Not to mention that most classes have a speed boost signet, or trait, sadly Mesmers and Guardians use weapon skills. But there are runes (traveller) /sigils (speed/pack) to help with speed. That said, it is understandable in games like FF XIV, where there is only one place to “waypoint” in each map “division” (also you cannot ride a mount in cities), mounts are helpful. However, you cannot engage in combat while on a mount in FF. Don’t know about other games, tho.

1 “waypoint, wayshrine, whatever” per area vs. 14-18 waypoints. Logically, mounts have no place in GW2.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I use all the movement methods and they are still pretty poor.

It depends on your profession. You really want to add something to the game that will make players move faster than when players are moving on their own?

An Elementalist can get across the map very fast with Lightning Flash, perma swiftness and FGS skills.

A Guardian has perma swiftness and a Leap Skill (GS) on low cooldown.

A Ranger has Sword and Greatsword leap skills, 25% speed buff and excellent uptime of Swiftness

A Warrior has excellent Leap skills with a Sword and a GS and a good uptime of Swiftness

An Engineer has leap skills (Rifle / Elixir Gun) and the easiest access to perma swiftness of all professions.

A Thief can get across even the largest map in just a couple of minutes with great swiftness uptime, Shadow Step and Shortbow

So you want to add something (you call a mount) that will make a player even faster than using the above skills, without even using anything?

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

dead horse.gif /15

Orpheal.8263

You totally miss the point… /facepalm

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

If you got some time come on by the mount thread and post your thoughts and some ideas to how they could be implemented.

JQ Druid