Treadmill Effect~ Does it bother you?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rokien.6405

Rokien.6405

Hello, Rokien here for the first time! I hope everyone had a good weekend! I had to work… so mine was meh~

I want to talk to you guys, what I like to call, “The Treadmill Effect”. A lot of games (western rpgs in general) have this effect. It’s where there is a disconnection between the player and the ground. The ground will move faster than the player, in perspective, it creates a sliding effect of sorts.
To me, it makes the game feel cheap, and it really bugs me(I quit games because of it). So, I was wondering if you guys mind it or not?

Tldealio:
Treadmill Effect: The lack of the relation between character and ground. Does it bother you?

Posted by: ituhata.6830

ituhata.6830

I can’t say I’ve noticed this, but I play Sylvari. I moved from playing Charr (my personal favorite race, probably the most well done) because they appear to be running in slow motion. It’s an unfortunate side effect of game balance for player movement concerning smaller and larger races. There is really nothing they could do short of giving Charr a speed advantage or give them a slower gait, which would look even more ridiculous when they get on all fours and run and is kind of insulting of a vicious race bred for war.

Caelthras – Fort Aspenwood
3rd Flora Artillery Unit

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

post a video example of this in action please.

Rokien.6405

Pretty sure all you have to do is log in the game and run around, then look at the relation between your character and the ground.

As you may see, there is a feeling of disconnection between your character and the ground. Like the ground is the one that is moving, not you. hence why I call it “the treadmill effect”.

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

This was really a problem during the BWEs, haven’t really noticed it since, I play a norn though.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

No, I’m pretty used to it by now.

Rokien.6405

You probably don’t notice on some races more than others, but really, all races travel the same speed. How fast you are moving your legs and how fast you are traveling are not equal.

Rokien.6405

No, I’m pretty used to it by now.

I don’t get how you can get used to something that is visually very unappealing.

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

You probably don’t notice on some races more than others, but really, all races travel the same speed. How fast you are moving your legs and how fast you are traveling are not equal.

You get used to it very quickly.
If I rolled an asura it’d feel like I’m moving very quickly.

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

No idea what youre talking about.

Personally, my character seems to move as normally as any other video game portrays. Do you have a low end system?

Rokien.6405

If they improved on this aspect of the game, its visual appeal would go up dramatically. It would be like night and day.

Rokien.6405

Personally, my character seems to move as normally as any other video game portrays. Do you have a low end system?

Have you played Dragon age games? Or a lot of western rpgs? You will see the same effect there. It’s not as bad in GW2 as some other games, but it’s still there.

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Haven’t noticed it as much in this MMO as in some others; generally the animation is top notch.

What I do really love about this MMO that’s a great improvement is that characters are able to stand properly on uneven ground.

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

No I have not played that game, or particularly a lot of other western RPGs. I guess it is a cultural thing- to me its just a video game, and it looks pretty good.

Posted by: Gazille.7381

Gazille.7381

I hate when you are on the edge of something and you can walk off it just a bit and it looks like you are floating.

Posted by: Spitwyld.1963

Spitwyld.1963

It happens sometimes, and I agree that it’s bizarre. I find that when I strafe while running forward my character slides (I play a human) instead of an actual side-step.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

Seems normal to me on a norn, you can walk around in the snow and see your foot prints, and they seem to be perfectly in sync, no treadmill effect.

Rokien.6405

Like I said it isn’t that bad in this game, I was just wondering if people noticed it and if it bothered them

Posted by: chase.2613

chase.2613

It’s very ugly and amateurish when that happens. I haven’t noticed this on my sylvari character, but some NPC — a human, I think, — did “slide” a little, I remember that.

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

All characters seem to be disconnected from the ground when they run. That also includes all NPC’s and mobs in the game.

Posted by: baldsh.3896

baldsh.3896

I can’t say I’ve noticed this, but I play Sylvari. I moved from playing Charr (my personal favorite race, probably the most well done) because they appear to be running in slow motion. It’s an unfortunate side effect of game balance for player movement concerning smaller and larger races. There is really nothing they could do short of giving Charr a speed advantage or give them a slower gait, which would look even more ridiculous when they get on all fours and run and is kind of insulting of a vicious race bred for war.

Wait … so the appearance that you are running slower, even though you are not, is now classified as a game imbalance?

On topic, I never really noticed this issue myself, I guess I have just gotten used to it through the many years playing the various MMO’s.

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

I think people posted about this in beta, but only about the walking animation. Looking at it in-game, I’m not really seeing a huge issue. If you’re seeing sliding, then you’ve certainly got a better eye for it than I, unfortunately.

I have seen it in other games and it’s sort of lame, yes.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

It’s unlikely that the spec of his/her PC effects the speed of the running animation, nor how quick his character moves in relation to the game world (barring horrific stuttering / rubberbanding).

I’ve not specifically noticed it in this game, but I stopped noticing it years ago.

I think it’s unrealistic to expect a development team to create multiple races of different leg lengths and create custom animations for each speed of movement (normal, sprint, walking, stacked runspeed buffs, etc). The payoff just doesn’t match the effort required.

:edit:

Wait … so the appearance that you are running slower, even though you are not, is now classified as a game imbalance?

On topic, I never really noticed this issue myself, I guess I have just gotten used to it through the many years playing the various MMO’s.

No, characters with vastly different physical attributes (e.g. leg length) are forced to move the same speed for balance reasons.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Lord Jaguar.9504

Lord Jaguar.9504

Hello, Rokien here for the first time! I hope everyone had a good weekend! I had to work… so mine was meh~

I want to talk to you guys, what I like to call, “The Treadmill Effect”. A lot of games (western rpgs in general) have this effect. It’s where there is a disconnection between the player and the ground. The ground will move faster than the player, in perspective, it creates a sliding effect of sorts.
To me, it makes the game feel cheap, and it really bugs me(I quit games because of it). So, I was wondering if you guys mind it or not?

Tldealio:
Treadmill Effect: The lack of the relation between character and ground. Does it bother you?

It doesn’t bother me quite to that point, but I do notice it. Games that handle this well help create that sense of immersion / finished polish. Games that don’t come off a bit sloppy. And since it is a visual effect you see 100% of the time, it is noticeable at first (even if you get used to it and stop paying attention later on).

This game does. . okay. At least it doesn’t have your foot standing on a solid invisible surface over the side of a cliff.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

The only way to avoid it is to create custom animation for every snare, for every combination of stackable run buffs… for any imaginable combination of movement speed altering conditions / boons (e.g. being snared but also having a runspeed buff). And then create another set of custom animations for each race.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Anev.6215

Anev.6215

I haven’t noticed it much in this game. A few places they have a bit of a problem but for the most part it all looks fine. Now the Charr thing is driving me crazy. I’ve tried making two characters so far and end up deleting them both because I feel like they are just doing some bionic man movement thing – I even tried playing that theme music with it and … though hilarious to watch … it didn’t help.

Rokien.6405

Yes, that’s a lot of work, but the quality of the game itself would skyrocket. Seriously it would be an amazing piece of work.