Trench coats technically the only option?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

Reading the town clothes discussion and response from Curtis about armor classes, mixing etc, if I understand correctly medium armor is technically forced to be trench coats only due to the way the seam rules for this weight class are designed.
Basically the coat has to go over the pants unlike with light armor where it ends at the waist line.
So due to technical constrains we will never see a medium top that won’t have something hanging over the waist line?

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

There are already several medium armor sets that use belly shirts on the ladies (the infamous underboob that all female human thieves use.) And there are tons that aren’t trench coats.

My ranger looks like a centurion.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Almost all MALE medium armours are coats… and as a Charr it doesnt matter what gender I am… I still have to get the MALE version of every single aromour – even as a female! I hate long tent-ish coats that gets tangled in my legs when I run… And then we have the tail-clipping and all the other clipping, and the stretching…, and the removal of horns/ears…

Not fun at all…

Kima & Co

Soulmyr.8094

There are already several medium armor sets that use belly shirts on the ladies (the infamous underboob that all female human thieves use.) And there are tons that aren’t trench coats.

Ok I used trench coat term loosely. What I meant was basically every long coat or top that has parts of it going over the waist line. Like the under-boob armor you mentioned has the flappy part (with daggers) hanging to the side. Females do have the duelist and krytan top that don’t follow the pattern, true but male have none.
I guess the female seam design offers more variation but male doesn’t.

(edited by Soulmyr.8094)

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

You can wear medium armor without looking like a tramp or superhero reject.
Picture from MesmersFromHouseElara and thus not mine, but I’ve always adored that simple, down to earth look.

Attachments:

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

I’m never going to give my female human thief that underboob armor. Never. I always feel the urge to pull that shirt down when I see it. xD

I still think that there’s not enough variation for thieves if you want an assassin-ish look, especially if you don’t want to show off your skin. The majority of medium armors feels more fitting for engineers or rangers. I might be wrong about the ratio, I’ve admittedly never counted, but I’ve had a hard time finding a nice, slimmed down armor for my thief.

Edit: Evans, what is that armor? Can’t recall seeing it anywhere o.o I assume it’s a mix?

Fluffball.8307

I think this is more of a “shirts naturally go over pants” thing than anything else. If you look at the light armors, most of the male armors have shirts going over pants as well (most look like trench coats even.) Right now IRL my shirt is hanging over my pants.

There are armor sets on both light and medium that show the chest or waist, even if only on one side, so it’s clearly not impossible to do.

Edit: Linnea that’s Krytan top with Heritage pants.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

Almost every pair of leggings in game has a dye channel that colors the leggings belt. Do you know how many chest armor pieces allows you to see the belt on a male medium armor character? Exactly 0.

There are 2-3 armor pieces that end just under your butt, and a few more that are a bit above your knees. Everything else is just a long coat that reaches under your knees.

Why should I bother picking a pair of leggings with an interesting look when that piece of armor wont be visible unless I forget to repair my chest armor?

Is that simple I want a vest, a hoodie, a simple shirt to equip my ranger. The Neo style long trenchcoat gets old quite fast.

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

inquest helm (CoE helm)
ascalonian shoulder (AC shouler)
ascalonian chest (AC chest)
Hellfire vambraces
inquest leggings (CoE leggings)
svanir boots (HoTW boots)

that is my armour – human male, dyed pitch/iron

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I can’t give my female thief the underboob armor…. cause she is a charr.
And it is all well that there is a nice looking medium set that only 1 race can use.
I know it is worse for males. but not counting culturals the options for females is very very very very small too in regards to get something that is not a trenchcoat or something liket that.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Soulmyr.8094

Almost every pair of leggings in game has a dye channel that colors the leggings belt. Do you know how many chest armor pieces allows you to see the belt on a male medium armor character? Exactly 0.

There are 2-3 armor pieces that end just under your butt, and a few more that are a bit above your knees. Everything else is just a long coat that reaches under your knees.

Why should I bother picking a pair of leggings with an interesting look when that piece of armor wont be visible unless I forget to repair my chest armor?

Is that simple I want a vest, a hoodie, a simple shirt to equip my ranger. The Neo style long trenchcoat gets old quite fast.

I agree but from what I read I gathered they are basically forced to make medium armor look like a long coat.

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

I agree but from what I read I gathered they are basically forced to make medium armor look like a long coat.

Maybe, but I don’t see how is possible to make a krytan vest or a duelist chest piece for females and suddenly it’s impossible for males.

Fluffball.8307

All of the pants in the game have a waist drawn in that can be seen if you remove the top, so I don’t see why it would be impossible. Not to mention the numerous medium armor skins that already show the waist.

My guess is almost all light and medium armors appear stylized to show a shirt covering the waist like would be natural. Especially for the ones that actually look like armor like the studded armor. Most of us don’t walk around looking like my PvP gal here (although thank you, if you do.)

Attachments: