Trinity?

Trinity?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ravenphyre.6183

Ravenphyre.6183

I was just curious to see if the recent change to the ressing within dungeons was the beginnings of a subtle shift towards the trinity dungeon archetype most MMO’s use? I know the devs are very busy but any moderatore input as to why this occurred would be greatly appreciated!

Trinity?

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Not at all. DPS is still the only role and berserkers is still the only gear worth using for knowledgeable and skilled players.

Trinity?

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Well not a mod, but trinity … never gonna happen. The change was implemented due to rez running; repeatedly dying and running to to the bosses until it died. IMO it was a well needed change and in the end it will help to bring the players closer together and promote teamwork in place of just zerging.

Trinity?

Posted by: omerk.2709

omerk.2709

Haven’t played the patch yet, but i’d take a wild guess it will force the use of reviving allies, and prevent tactics that relay on res-rush like the bomb event in path 2 of CoF.

Trinity?

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

If you want a game with trinity, I advise you every mmorpg but GW2. There is a large choice.

Trinity?

Ravenphyre.6183

Ahhh I can see that. But I am guessing that now everyone needs to have a bit of toughness and vitality to help with survivability now? The only other reason i thought it could be was to lessen the use of glass cannon type builds?

Trinity?

Ravenphyre.6183

@ Riss i was not asking for this to become a Trinity type of MMO but was just curious about the thoughts that lead to the decision.

Trinity?

Riss.1536

With the random aggro, I still don’t think the trinity would work for this game. If you want to play glass cannon you’d better have stealth skills.

Trinity?

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Haven’t played the patch yet, but i’d take a wild guess it will force the use of reviving allies, and prevent tactics that relay on res-rush like the bomb event in path 2 of CoF.

Not sure if it will be worth it, outside of certain profession skills, as doing so not only locks you in place (unless you hit a movement key before trying anything else), it also supposedly makes you an aggro magnet.

Trinity?

digiowl.9620

With the random aggro, I still don’t think the trinity would work for this game. If you want to play glass cannon you’d better have stealth skills.

That is one issue, another is that “control” effects are not really controlling anything in PVE.

Trinity?

Riss.1536

That is one issue, another is that “control” effects are not really controlling anything in PVE.

That’s why the only thing I’m sure is if you want to lose aggro, go stealth and let the mob pick a nearby comrade.

Trinity?

Posted by: maintank.9074

maintank.9074

What’s so wrong with a tank being a tank and a healer being a healer? That aspect of this game sucks IMO…

Trinity?

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

What’s so wrong with a tank being a tank and a healer being a healer? That aspect of this game sucks IMO…

Because this game promotes diversity not standardization. As has been said there are plenty of other games that cater to the trinity system and if you are unhappy with this one I’m sure you can find your place among one of them.

Trinity?

digiowl.9620

People fear spending hours waiting for that one must have healer to show up so they can do their 5 minute run. This because in other MMOs leveling a healer is a thankless task and so few do so. Something that should not be a problem in GW2 tho as the would be healer could run a offensive build during leveling.

But as we see from various game elements, ANet wants us to limit our party assistance to rez and boon spreading. Never mind that focusing on boons over DPS makes little difference as most boons are duration only (might being one of the few, if not only, exceptions) and so the impact is minor.

So if you do boons you do it for your own use and anything affecting the party will be incidental to that. Same goes with healing.

Trinity?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

There’s nothing wrong with it in games built for it.

However, I think it’s slightly unreasonable for people to come to a game without it and to go ‘I don’t like it, so change it’.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Trinity?

Posted by: maintank.9074

maintank.9074

I grew up on playing eq…so the change is hard to take, but I’m trying…

Trinity?

Riss.1536

Don’t force yourself too hard. Every people is not adaptable.

Trinity?

digiowl.9620

There’s nothing wrong with it in games built for it.

However, I think it’s slightly unreasonable for people to come to a game without it and to go ‘I don’t like it, so change it’.

I am not sure if it is about liking it or not, but that rather than finding some dynamic masterpiece they find a incoherent mess.

I have no problem with the game optionally allowing everyone to just banzai DPS thru. But notice i said optional. Right now it is in essence mandatory, as doing it any other way can’t really happen as there is no way for a party to take real effective control of a situation.

One part of this is that controls do not control. They perhaps interrupt a few massive attacks and then it is back to dodging and kiting until the skills recharge. And the opaque aggro in the game reinforces this. There is no clear cut way to say that any one party member will be singled out by the mobs.

Another is that support do not support. Just about every boon in the game is a all or nothing package. Meaning that the only noticeable difference is how long it lasts. And said difference is most likely limited to single digit seconds.

Meaning that building anything other than heavy DPS just leads to a lackluster DPS rather than some optional alternative group dynamic.

Trinity?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I am not sure if it is about liking it or not, but that rather than finding some dynamic masterpiece they find a incoherent mess.

I have no problem with the game optionally allowing everyone to just banzai DPS thru. But notice i said optional. Right now it is in essence mandatory, as doing it any other way can’t really happen as there is no way for a party to take real effective control of a situation.

I can see where you’re coming from, but I can’t see how they’d balance it for both types of groups to be honest:

Balanced around Trinity = Near impossible for those who don’t want the Trinity.
Balanced around No Trinity = Too easy for Trinity groups.

All in all though, if you got an organised group, it isn’t so much as an unorganised mess as organised chaos. I found that encounters go way smoother if the teamwork is high than if everyone is doing their own thing.

One part of this is that controls do not control. They perhaps interrupt a few massive attacks and then it is back to dodging and kiting until the skills recharge. And the opaque aggro in the game reinforces this. There is no clear cut way to say that any one party member will be singled out by the mobs.

I disagree with this. Control isn’t merely just using interrupting attacks. Of note:

• Weakness is a good damage control debuff
  • Immobilize is a good movement control debuff

As for the unpredictable aggro, I like it. Combat was awful boring when you knew that the boss is going to be glued to that one guy for the rest of the fight. Although it is suggested that someone reviving someone places them pretty high on the aggro list.

Another is that support do not support. Just about every boon in the game is a all or nothing package. Meaning that the only noticeable difference is how long it lasts. And said difference is most likely limited to single digit seconds.

Meaning that building anything other than heavy DPS just leads to a lackluster DPS rather than some optional alternative group dynamic.

As with Control, Support isn’t just about providing boons and healing:

• Reviving
  • Protective Skills (Sanctuary, Shield of Absorption, Feedback, Smoke Fields)
  • Combo Fields and Finishers to augment attacks (Blind, Lifesteal, Burning ect)
  • Condition Removal

The thing with Control and Support is that their kinda both in the same:

• Knock a mob away from a downed player, and you’ve controlled the mob and supported your ally
  • Protection supports your ally while controlling damage dealt to them.

Well, anyway, that’s my opinion on it. That’s how our regular guild group views it and more often than not we get through it with little to no deaths.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Trinity?

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Not at all. DPS is still the only role and berserkers is still the only gear worth using for knowledgeable and skilled players.

Just in case somebody else is reading, this is Yaki’s personal opinion, and hardly a fact. Berserker’s works for him very well, but any “knowledgeable and skilled player” may also play with whatever stats gear he/she wants as well. Lucky us, we don’t have to play any “Trinity” role-including DPS-in this game.

Trinity?

Ravenphyre.6183

The trinity is of course the easy answer because that is a concept most are familiar,comfortable, and ultimately tired of but the randomness of what we have now seems to be on the opposite end of that spectrum. I would like to see something that promotes not the trinity but a better support system.