True open world PvP

True open world PvP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

Q:

I have a simple question for any relevant ANet developer: is it POSSIBLE (with the emphasis on that particular word) to ever incorporate PvP-like servers where true open world PvP could exist?

To clarify, I am not asking whether you have this planned, I just want to know if I could ever hope, theoretically, to see this in GW2. So is it technically/logistically/conceptually possible, or have you passed a point of no return when you based your game the way you did?

I hope I am not asking a tricky question. I am just asking, hypothetically, IF you for whatever reason wanted to enable it – could you?

True open world PvP

Posted by: CC Dalmarus.8397

CC Dalmarus.8397

Community Coordinator

A:

Thanks for the discussion. Anything is possible in the future, but I would be sure to not hold my breath waiting.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

I feel complete open world PvP would be a little redundant seeing as there aren’t any opposing factions in the game.

If there was an area or two if we got a situation like Factions where you choose a side/house/bananashack to back as a guild, and you can enter the PvP zones to duke it out…it could work, but it’d kind of just boil down to sPvP.

I don’t think world PvP would work, both in terms of lore and in terms of not breaking the game. Dueling would be cool at some point though.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Of course it is.

Whether it’s as simple as enabling a piece of currently disabled code or rebuilding a significant portion of the code I don’t know, but it’s certainly possible.

But GW2 already has WvW and PvP, I’m not sure why it would need PvP enabled starter areas (except for the inevitable spawn camping of noobs).

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

True open world PvP

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Technically they could in the Canthan expansion if they bring back the Luxon VS Kurzick feud from GW1.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Umm why would any races wanna be fighting each other…

Aside from humans and charr…

True open world PvP

Raging Bull.5048

It could be done like in WvWvW? Server vs server?

True open world PvP

Jestunhi.7429

This would mean all the pveing chars on 3 servers all being in the same worldmap.

Potentially tripling the server load (while leaving 2 empty).

And I still don’t see the point. If you want large-scale open PvP then go to WvW.

True open world PvP

Raging Bull.5048

This would mean all the pveing chars on 3 servers all being in the same worldmap.

Potentially tripling the server load (while leaving 2 empty).

And I still don’t see the point. If you want large-scale open PvP then go to WvW.

Well it’s not really the same thing. Actually not at all. Anyway let’s not derail the conversation, I am only asking whether it’s possible, and hoping for an official answer.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Cabbage.4085

Cabbage.4085

I would very much like to see an Open World PVP.

WvW would be disabled on this server and I like the idea of having 2 – 3 servers on “one server” fighting each other by waypoints, raid bosses, instances.

True open world PvP

Jestunhi.7429

Well it’s not really the same thing. Actually not at all. Anyway let’s not derail the conversation, I am only asking whether it’s possible, and hoping for an official answer.

As a coder, unrelated to this game and any companies involved with it, yes it’s possible.

They already have a version of the code working in WvW, it may not be straightforward to adapt to other zones but I’m certain they could if they wanted to.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Kietay.2345

Kietay.2345

What is more needed and absolutely ridiculous that they dont have is any way to duel. I do not even care if you have to go to the mists to duel, the fact that your only option is to join an empty server and -hope- no one else joins is insane. They had a great concept for this game and it panned out well but it is missing so many things that it feels like little babies were only ever expected to play it.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

People asking for this just want to gank unsuspecting players going about their business.
It’s a valid game model, but it’s not what Guild Wars 2 is about.
Also, the way experience systems have been coded, along with instanced nodes, shared events, etc., it would require an awful lot of coding to implement for little reward.
I’ve played on PvP servers, and it all comes down to getting the occasional cheap kill on someone else or griefing, no debate.
Frankly, if you want to do that, go play a game that allows it. I’m glad you can’t do it here.
Age of Conan is great for this type of play, with an unbalanced class system supported by tiered gear allowing 3-hit kills of unsuspecting players.
Go, knock yourself out.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I’m sure ArenaNet would be interested in seeing all of their carefully crafted event chains demolished because one group of players joins the centaurs in their raids, while another group of players is trying to defend against them. Definitely inline with their design philosophy.

It ain’t never going to happen. It’s a PvE game. Deal with it.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

No. ArenaNet has said many times that Worlds PvP is what they consider open world PvP. And apart from PKing/griefing, it’s the same thing.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

True open world PvP

Posted by: Sister Sola.8109

Sister Sola.8109

Technically, I’m sure open world PvP is possible, but I doubt it’ll ever be implemented. For one thing, it’s lore breaking. PvE is designed around player cooperation, not competition – everyone working together to defeat the different threats in each area.

ANet has provided cooperative PvE, competitive PvE/PvP (WvW), and competitive PvP; I think that’s a nice balance for the majority of players.

The developers have said they will be introducing dueling in a content update, but I wouldn’t expect it to be “open world”, but instead held either in The Mists, or in one of the arenas.

True open world PvP

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

I think the way to go is for measures to be taken that encourage zergs to split up and so that much more small unit action starts to occur – and not only in PvP. That’s something that I think is quite likely to happen in GW2 and appears to be intended (supply etc.). Approaches that allow ganking of low level players by high level ones are, one might put it, not optimal…

True open world PvP

Posted by: Manifoldgodhead.2356

Manifoldgodhead.2356

Nope, it will never happen in this game. I would try Darkfall or Mortal Online. I hear Mortal just got a major update to the new player experience. I keep meaning to try it myself.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

Considering the focus of the PVE world is to help each other, adding the ability to attack and grief one another would break the system rather quickly.

True open world PvP

Raging Bull.5048

Lore or not, griefing or not, be aware that many, MANY people chose PvP servers in WoW. When I say many, I mean at least half of the 14 million player base. People LOVE open world PvP, even if you don’t. If you found your refuge in GW2, it’s also one of the main reason people avoid that game or get bored of it quickly.

Blizzard already came up with a solution – offer people both PvE and PvP servers – to each their own. I wouldn’t mind BEING ganked or BEING griefed. I wouldn’t mind getting attacked during a DE. How things are at the moment – the GW2 is a drag, a bore, a care bear paradise which I am starting to despise.

ANYWAY, I only asked for an explanation for the technical aspect of the problem, it wasn’t an open invitation for the fan-boy community to flame and go berserk. Calm down.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Isilith Tehroth.6047

Isilith Tehroth.6047

They need to add a zone where players can construct single player housing areas and guild fortresses each that can be upgraded for rewards and have usefulness instead of a pixel base to look cool in.

Make the whole area pvp and have very good rewards and resources in this zone. However there should be a guild cap of lets say 20 to promote less zerg vs zerg and more player skill. wVw is fun but too zergy and not enough skill in my opinion.

To conclude the area should give benefits that are very useful for guilds or solo players alike and they should have a great amount of rare resources. Think a sandbox game.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Lore or not, griefing or not, be aware that many, MANY people chose PvP servers in WoW. When I say many, I mean at least half of the 14 million player base. People LOVE open world PvP, even if you don’t. If you found your refuge in GW2, it’s also one of the main reason people avoid that game or get bored of it quickly.

Blizzard already came up with a solution – offer people both PvE and PvP servers – to each their own. I wouldn’t mind BEING ganked or BEING griefed. I wouldn’t mind getting attacked during a DE. How things are at the moment – the GW2 is a drag, a bore, a care bear paradise which I am starting to despise.

ANYWAY, I only asked for an explanation for the technical aspect of the problem, it wasn’t an open invitation for the fan-boy community to flame and go berserk. Calm down.

ArenaNet are aware that people love open world PvP, that’s why you are able to level up to 80 in Worlds PvP, when you are level 2. Next to that, ArenaNet has mentioned that they aren’t interesting in splitting servers up (this is also why there’s no RP server), and that the point of the game is to make players work together rather then against each other (this is why they don’t allow rude behavior, and why gathering nodes are instanced). There’s nothing wrong with open world PvP in itself, it’s just that it goes against what ArenaNet are trying to create with Guild Wars 2.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

True open world PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

14 million players? really. Except for the fact that its only 10 milllion. And of that 10 million players only about 3-4 million of them are WESTERN players, so how exactly would you know if half the base is rolling on PvP servers.

Also guild wars 2 will never have OPVP because WvW was designed as a compromise to appeal to the people that want PvP in a more open world setting. A wise man once said you can treat WvW as an OPvP zone and if you have issues with that it just means you suck, btw it was a developer that said it.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Nobody flamed you and nobody went berserk, you on the other hand are apparently very keen on the name calling and taunting. If you are so opposed to even the slightest opposition I suggest you write a message to anet themselves.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

As a coder, unrelated to this game and any companies involved with it, yes it’s possible.

They already have a version of the code working in WvW, it may not be straightforward to adapt to other zones but I’m certain they could if they wanted to.

The hurdle is probably identifying how to flag an enemy to be a combatant. In WvW they are flagging individuals by server so its easier. It may be easy to just dummy in a temp ‘server’ using a GUID that’s hidden, thus making the application think each individual is in a different server. Then just set parties / guilds to the same GUID.

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

True open world PvP

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

If people actually loved open world PvP, then TERA wouldn’t be going belly up right now. Most people really don’t love open world pvp when they actually spend some time on that kind of server.

They just think they do, at first….then when their low level toons get continually ganked by toons so far above their level they run with perpetual nosebleeds..they abandon servers like rats fleeing sinking ships.

Happens on any game, eventually…that rolls out with that format.

WvsW encourages cooperation and discourages ganking…pretty darn well too.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

True open world PvP

Jestunhi.7429

Now that it’s degenerated into calling anyone who doesn’t agree a fanboy and providing imaginary figures (I’ll happily take this back if he provides an accurate source for the claims) I think this thread is done.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

World PvP is an awful idea in GW2. Listen, I like PvP servers and all, but because of the ad hoc grouping and dynamic event systems in GW2, open PvP would be an absolute disaster. Could you imagine trying to do the Claw of Jormag event with half of the players trying to kill other players just because it’s funny? It’d be far too easy to disrupt events and force players to fail at them by killing them over and over.

Not a good idea.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

As much as I love open PvP games, GW2 just isn’t designed for it.

From the outset the game was designed to have completely seperated PvP and PvE areas. Changing that after the fact would likely lead to a situation where very few players could get any PvE done due to ganking.

GW2’s design fosters community collaboration. ANet wants each server to have a strong community that will stand together in WvW. Through things like event sharing, scaling and ability to rez anyone players are encouraged to work together.

Adding in open PvP would cause in-fighting and bad blood in WvW. As much as I hate to say this, it’s just not a good idea

True open world PvP

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

Faction based PvP that you see in games like WoW is entirely different from FFA PvP which is what you’d see if they turned on OwPvP in the game world. Until you’ve played an FFA PvP game you can’t really understand how it’d work and if it’d be good here or not. It’s an interesting idea but TERA is doing that and it’s not working out so well.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Chewie.7389

Chewie.7389

ANet’s design philosophy is to completely separate Pve from Pvp, the game isn’t solely one or the other and anyone who says so is childish. Plus, OWPvP wouldn’t fit with the lore at all, the story is about the races joining together to stop the elder dragons. This is evaded with the “lore” of the mists, which is only possible since it is completely separated from any story in the real world.

True open world PvP

Raging Bull.5048

“…what ANet is trying to do…”
“…the vision…”
“…doesn’t fit into GW2 lore…”
“…go back to WoW…”

Listen, everything taken into account, I believe we can all agree that not everything is going according to the “master plan”. GW2 is not revolutionary, is not moving the genre forward (it is in fact degrading MMORPG genre into a casual soup), and has not impressed the world. ANet might as well admit they made a mistake, and actually make something awesome of this game.

ANet philosophy, just as everything else, is prone to change. The market dictates what is in demand, not the manufacturers. Their job is to hit the golden vein and get as many people interested. If “their vision” has failed to impress, maybe it’s time for a new vision?

True open world PvP

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

“…the vision…”
“…go back to WoW…”

Listen, everything taken into account, I believe we can all agree that not everything is going according to the “master plan”. GW2 is not revolutionary, is not moving the genre forward (it is in fact degrading MMORPG genre into a casual soup), and has not impressed the world. ANet might as well admit they made a mistake, and actually make something awesome of this game.

ANet philosophy, just as everything else, is prone to change. The market dictates what is in demand, not the manufacturers. Their job is to hit the golden vein and get as many people interested. If “their vision” has failed to impress, maybe it’s time for a new vision?

I haven’t really thought of it this way, but you are kind of right. Guild Wars 2 is kind of degrading MMORPG into casual soup…

True open world PvP

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

“…the vision…”
“…go back to WoW…”

What? No I have to disagree. I think GW2 is a big success and it caters to both casuals and hardcore equally. It has content that requires organized grouping and high level tactics as well as a lot of time investment both on the PvP and PvE fronts. It also has a lot of accessible content for the casual player and allows them to jump in and enjoy all types of play however they want with whatever time investment they can afford without having to grind to max and grind a set of gear before the fun even starts.

True open world PvP

Jestunhi.7429

“…the vision…”
“…go back to WoW…”

The vocal minority are not the majority.

They are just the loudest.

How many people have actually posted asking for a specific change compared to those who have either supported the existing system or simply not taken part in the discussion?

Everyone likes to believe that they are in the majority… but it’s not necessarily true.

True open world PvP

Raging Bull.5048

“…the vision…”
“…go back to WoW…”

The vocal minority are not the majority.

They are just the loudest.

How many people have actually posted asking for a specific change compared to those who have either supported the existing system or simply not taken part in the discussion?

Everyone likes to believe that they are in the majority… but it’s not necessarily true.

Just like you, right this moment.

True open world PvP

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

“…the vision…”
“…go back to WoW…”

A new vision would need a new game.

Open PvP simply cannot be shoehorned into a game that wasn’t designed from the ground up for it. Over the last 15 years, I’ve seen plenty of games attempt it and not one of them succeeded. PvP always felt shallow and pointless as again, the game wasn’t designed for it, so no real point to the PvP existed.

So, we could have ANet go to task of re-designing the game to work in open PvP, or have them continue on with their current plan and “fix” the existing PvP systems. Personally, I prefer the latter.

When/if a worthy open PvP game launches, I’ll jump ship… but only then.