Turn off tutorial option

Turn off tutorial option

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Phillip.9318

Phillip.9318

I am really annoyed with the new patch Anet has released for GW2 and is considering to quit the game.
I loved character creation and is striving towards having 8 level 80s (one from each profession) and to be a decent player with each profession. Now that Anet has released this patch I do not want to level my characters anymore and having to unlock the story (which I liked repeating) is a drag. My one character that is level 20 has to wait till level 30 before I can play story again because of bad integration of this patch.
Also the compass is annoying the hell out of me! I like playing the game and exploring it, I don’t want something to keep on flashing at me saying I’m doing it wrong when I already have 5 level 80s! Telling a veteran player to learn how to dodge? Really, where is the turn off the tutorial button? Why all this grind just to unlock stuff we had from the start anyway? If I was a new player I would quit GW2 right when I started it. The game is getting boring and tedious.
I was already very annoyed at the fact that you have to grind with each character just to unlock trait skills, were as back in the day you could just buy a tomb and had all off them. Now you have to grind in each aspect of character design and development.

Please, the system is not working for veteran players. For your first character, fine but for ulterior characters no one wants that grind. Please make unlocking of hints, stories, trait skills and everything else account bound. You are really killing the game with these patches. Please also have a turn tutorial off setting which allows you to turn the compass and all the other “helpful” stuff off if you are on your ulterior characters.

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: XxXpheniox.1928

XxXpheniox.1928

Bingo. Exactly my thoughts. You just summed up my entire problem with this newest patch.

~Phoenix

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

All the gating is a massive problem, all of it. Weapon skills, utilities, gathering nodes, story, underwater combat, the DOWNED STATE (which was a new dimension, a selling point, same with underwater combat, being GATED to absurdity!)… etc.

The best thing they added was the compass. Why? Because you can shut it off, which I have done. Now there is no way they are going to let you check a box in your options that will magically undo most of this patch, but if new players getting the grasp of the game is somehow a problem for them (I can’t figure out why that would even be the case, it’s really not that hard unless they are mentally challenged) then they should just have a tutorial option after creating a new character, one people can skip. We already had something like that and it was the first few minutes of the game leading up to the boss bottle, which I had THREE skills to play around with at the time but was then reduced to pressing one and then standing there. Now imagine an old player who has a Golem Butler, pulls out their nice newbie gear, a two-handed weapon that offers 5 skills right out of the box, and having most of all that NULLIFIED, reduced to pressing 1 and… that’s it.

Why they didn’t just put all the stuff like “learn how to dodge” there in the original tutorial area is beyond me. By the way, when I saw that “learn how to dodge” in the corner of my screen after making a new alt to see these changes, I was dumbfounded. I just stood there looking at this. “Learn how to dodge.” I don’t even…

But yes the gating, all of the gating, is really just ridiculous. A brand new player may not realize that that is not how the game is supposed to be, but the hundreds of thousands of players that have been here for longer than 2 days are going to.

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

This whole leveling system needs to be 100% reverted or an option to toggle the new system or use the old system needs to be implemented.

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

Turn off tutorial? How about turn off the entire 9/9 patch? Or at least, turn all of it off except for the balance changes. For that matter, I’d like to turn off some of the April “features” as well.

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

I’ll take the option to turn it off. The system is flawed and displaying to any and all players/characters. Zoned into QD for Behe only to be told in the top right corner to “Learn how to dodge” on my 80, who incidentally had her first year birthday about a week ago. Went to Ashford to do Ascalonian Catacombs, told again to learn how to dodge on an 80!

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: alornm.9081

alornm.9081

I thoroughly agree with everything that has been said here. I have 8 level 80s (1 of every class) and now i have to auto attack through the entire intro because its too overwhelming to be given 3 skills?! Seriously if 3 skills is too much for a new player they shouldn’t even be playing games. More over I loved how you unlocked weapon skills by using the weapon now instead you just automatically have every weapon skill for that slot handed to you, so say you play levels 1-10 using a scepter you swap to a staff and boom 5 new skills right off the bat (how is that simpler than making them unlock and learn each skill with the new weapon?!) Secondly though there are a lot of new players there are also a lot of us “veteran players”, and I think I speak for us all when I say “WE DON’T NEED TO BE TAUGHT HOW TO DODGE!” If you’ve made it to level 80 and haven’t learned that then I don’t think there is anything that will teach you that. Also now not only do we have traits from the previous change that require us to complete maps well above level 30 to obtain them without simply buying them but we don’t get our elite skills until half way through the game. More over using the wardrobe at level 6 are you kidding me? I can’t even make all my alts pretty anymore? Because allowing us to have outfits was too much? And banking even later than that? Also not to mention on an ele (the first class i made after patch) you’re not even given 2 atunements at the start, and by level 10 I still have only 2 atunements available, this was a key part of the ele, the part that made them different than a normal caster from any other game. Also you are now essentially barred from wvw until level 10 because you’re not even able to get all 5 skills out there now, you can go there right out of the intro but you have to just pray you can auto attack something to death. Fortunately spvp still lets me play with all the skills so at least there is somewhere i can take my new toon and not feel babysat and given a handicap that inhibits me being able to successfully play more than i feel it actually helps me learn anything.

Also all these “Skill challenges” in the starter maps? You can’t use them until you’re level 13. As my fiancee so kindly pointed out the suggested levels for starting maps is 1-15 that means you have exactly 2 levels to get all the skill points from that map before you’re technically advised to move on. You’ll actually run past things in the game and as compared to being able to “challenge” yourself you’re simply told sorry you’re not strong enough yet please come back later.

This patch is probably the worst thing I’ve seen any game do as an update since LotRO’s last major expansion when they gave the information of “we’re going to remove 3/4ths your skills because we’ve given you too many and we don’t know how to give you anymore.” It’s on the verge of telling your veteran players to f off because even though you know how to play the game and learned the game on your own just fine that you’re now forced to be treated like you know absolutely nothing on your new characters and there’s nothing you have to say about it.

I beg of you anet if you want to keep me, and likely quite a few other veteran players, please let us play the game like we actually know what we’re doing. Otherwise I probably won’t be leveling anymore characters (i have 7 at the moment I have been working on). And honestly I don’t even want a new race to come out if this is how leveling is going to be, because I’d hate for something that would be cool to just be annoying and on the verge of angering to play due to a poor implementation of a tutorial system.

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: Mizukiaki.8590

Mizukiaki.8590

I agree there should be an option to disable the go here, do this, pop ups on the screen. It does get annoying when you are on your level 80 and been playing since closed beta to have tutorials popping up in your playing.
Or even have it disable itself when a player hits level 10. That should be sufficient time for a player to learn how to play.

Yes I agree it is a good tutorial system for those whom have never played an mmorpg before, but it is also annoying for players who like to figure it out themselves and always turn off the tutorials.

Great games come and go, but the Awesome games are endless!!
Matron Kaldona Kye, Mesmer GW since launch.
Matron Kaldona Kye, Sylvari Chronomancer GW2 since closed Beta.

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

"Hey, you know that game you’ve been playing for two years and its UI? Hahahaha, no you don’t. Here’re some popups and hints."

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: Mizukiaki.8590

Mizukiaki.8590

“Hey, you know that game you’ve been playing for two years and its UI? Hahahaha, no you don’t. Here’re some popups and hints.”

LOL that’s a good one.

Great games come and go, but the Awesome games are endless!!
Matron Kaldona Kye, Mesmer GW since launch.
Matron Kaldona Kye, Sylvari Chronomancer GW2 since closed Beta.

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: weisserfalke.2619

weisserfalke.2619

I agree the new updates patch has ruined the game, even if it suppose to make it easier. All the fun that Guild Wars 2 was before is now ruined from the patch, I belive a patch should be made with the following changes;

Having the ability to turn compass on/off (or remove completely)
Tutorials on/off
Unlocking Weapon skills through fighting again.
Restricted items on rarity (removed).

Simply put go back to the setting before the last few patches. You will find that a lot of people who actually enjoy the game will agree.
If you agree reply and help us revert the newest changes.

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Bit of a necro here.

Probably most of the changes have already occurred. I have no real problems with the new leveling. I rather like the new rewards, but that’s just me.

Good luck.

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: weisserfalke.2619

weisserfalke.2619

I agree with you, that the leveling is not too bad nor are the rewards, but what I find really frustrating are the tutorial messages and compass (takes the fun out of adventuring), as a veteran player who has been there since the launch I find that really. annoying, wouldn’t mind new features like that, as long as you can switch them off. Simplifying the game is not good.

Turn off tutorial option

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, change the options offered for the compass? You can put it back on PS, just like before, I believe. /shrug