Turn the Outfits into Armor Skins!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Starlightpaw.5871

Starlightpaw.5871

I know this has probably been said a lot, considering this is what most people want, but I’m saying it again. I’m tired of outfits. A lot of this game is customization, and I love to mix and match armors. However, I can’t do that with outfits because it replaces my entire armor set with “armor” that has the same theme and is in no way unique to what the other guys is wearing besides kittening dyes. There are parts of certain outfits that I want to mix and match, but I can’t. This is unbelievably frustrating for me and a lot of people playing the game.

Now, I know why Anet is doing this. It’s because it’s easier and you don’t have to deal with clipping. Understandable, but to me it just looks like laziness, especially since Anet used to make armor sets, but then they suddenly switched to making outfits. I can’t help but wonder if this is some sort of strategy or if they are just plain lazy. Are they planning on turning the outfits into separate armor skins like they used to make, or are they going to leave things the way they are? I’ll admit I bought one outfit before, but that was before I realized that it wasn’t the same as a set of armor skins, and needless to say I was mad.

Please leave a comment if you feel the same way, hopefully if this gets enough attention they might actually consider doing something about it… heh.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

People keep shouting about how they only do outfits, when the fact actually remains that they have released more armors than outfits.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Starlightpaw.5871

People keep shouting about how they only do outfits, when the fact actually remains that they have released more armors than outfits.

I think you totally missed the point of my post. No where did I complain about there being “more outfits than armor sets.” No where did I complain about them “only doing outfits.” I just want them to stop making outfits and go back to making armor sets so that I can customize my character the way I want incorporating their new designs. It’s a shame, I would buy a lot more of their stuff if I could mix and match.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

They are currently putting out more Outfits than armor, though, so I can see why they feel that way.

While I’m still sad about the scrapping of the Town Clothes system for Outfits, I’ll admit that I make use of them and I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more. More armor options are always nice, though.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I’d love this, but it’s probably not that big of a deal breakers since they do still release conventional armors. But still, would be nice.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Now, I know why Anet is doing this. It’s because it’s easier and you don’t have to deal with clipping.

Actually, I won the Ancestral Outfit in a contest – the very first Outfit released after they were introduced – and to this day the skirt still clips through the sash. So “no clipping” is not true. And even without previewing, I can tell you for certain that the high collar on the female Human/Norn Noble Count Outfit clips through dozens of hairstyles. So don’t fall for that line of bull.

But I am with you 100%. I spent tons of real life money before April 15th on Town Clothes and other Gems Store goodies. My spending has come to a virtual halt since then. I have never spent one dime on Outfits and I never will. I don’t care how nice it looks, I don’t want to look exactly like everyone else.

As a company, they seem obsessed with attracting new customers (understandable) but totally blind to what their existing customers want. I love the art, and I love the fluid combat (current targeting issues notwithstanding), but they keep taking stuff away from us that we enjoy. I can’t see myself sticking around loyally the way I did in GW1 with this philosophy. Time to stop being cheap. Cutting corners is not the way to keep your customers.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Even just letting us swap our helms, which you could do in GW1, would be really nice.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

no pls. Outfits + armour skins at most.

I enjoy wearing things that aren’t in my “armour type”

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Starlightpaw.5871

I enjoy wearing things that aren’t in my “armour type”

That doesn’t have to change if they turned the existing outfits into armor skins, and nothing is forcing them to stick to the “niches” established by armor types when it comes to skins except for themselves. They could make one set of armor that looks the same for all types of armor (light, medium, and heavy), just instead of it being an “outfit” it will be skins. Obviously they didn’t have a problem with this when making outfits, why would it be a problem when making skins?

Outfits allow Anet to design looks that aren’t limited to the piecewise compatibility required by each of the three armor types. All heavy chest pieces have to have to conform so they will fit together with all heavy pants, shoulders and gloves. Outfits get around that limitation.

Similar to what I said above, pieces in outfits can easily be put together with normal pieces of armor from any armor type. This may be seen as a restriction, but it really isn’t. There’s always a way to get around things like this.

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

Outfits allow Anet to design looks that aren’t limited to the piecewise compatibility required by each of the three armor types. All heavy chest pieces have to have to conform so they will fit together with all heavy pants, shoulders and gloves. Outfits get around that limitation.

I would like Anet to meet people halfway on this issue, and allow character headgear to be retained while wearing Outfits, and allow Outfit headgear to be used with normal Armor sets. For instance, this would allow Necromancer masks with Outfits, or the Mad King head with regular Armor.

Except that isn’t 100% true. the Dry Bones and Whispers light armor helms cover whatever shoulder armor you wear regardless of what is is, same with the Medium CoF chestpiece and shoulder armor as well, and that’s not including the dozens of other instances where parts of gloves and boots either overlap or are overlapped by the chestpiece or leggings you are wearing, respectively.

So put me down as a +1 to letting us have mix some of our armor pieces with the outfit, even if it’s just the helm/shoulders/gloves that would probably have the easiest time with applying.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

They can’t turn outfits into armors for two reasons:

1. The reason why the armor class system exists is to help differentiate the professions a bit in PvP/WvW. Outfits remove this differentiation and thus cannot exist in PvP/WvW for this reason. This reason is also why ArenaNet recently added the default appearance option for PvP(/WvW?).
  2. Outfits are designed in far fewer pieces than armor. Even the original town clothing didn’t have all six slots, and not all outfits used up all slots town clothing had (iirc, only the first five did: cook, pirate, Mad King, Witch, and Winter Fancy). As such, they would have to completely remake the outfits from scratch to match the same appearance but be set into six pieces – this is harder than it may sound, since as I said it’d have to be done from scratch.

What should be done instead is to allow a hide helm option that then defaults to the armor helm (unless you hide that as well). Similar to what the case was in GW1. Every outfit made before the April update had a separate helm at the very least, and it shouldn’t be too hard to separate helm from the rest given that it’s already hide-able.

So simply make outfits a two-piece set rather than one-piece.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Starlightpaw.5871

They can’t turn outfits into armors for two reasons:

1. The reason why the armor class system exists is to help differentiate the professions a bit in PvP/WvW. Outfits remove this differentiation and thus cannot exist in PvP/WvW for this reason. This reason is also why ArenaNet recently added the default appearance option for PvP(/WvW?).
  2. Outfits are designed in far fewer pieces than armor. Even the original town clothing didn’t have all six slots, and not all outfits used up all slots town clothing had (iirc, only the first five did: cook, pirate, Mad King, Witch, and Winter Fancy). As such, they would have to completely remake the outfits from scratch to match the same appearance but be set into six pieces – this is harder than it may sound, since as I said it’d have to be done from scratch.

If I recall correctly, the default appearance option for PvP is an option. Those who care will use that option when they are fighting other players. Why on earth should that limit outfits from being made into skins? Is it so hard to glance up to your target’s name display at the top of your screen to see what class they are?

The outfits don’t have to be made into sets of six pieces, nothing says that it needs to be six pieces.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Since they made outfits wearable in combat it is undoubtedly true that they’ve released more new outfits than new armor sets. There were quite a few months there though where ANet was able to release more armor. It’s not so much a frustration with the quantity but the pivotal direction.

A little bit of reading comprehension goes a long way.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

i honestly don’t know why they don’t release them as armours.

firstly they get cash from people buying a whole outfit for one little part.
(i know there has’nt been a single outfit that doesn’t have atleast one part i’d buy the outfit for, but i also don’t want the full outfit so i don’t buy it.)

secondly they get cash from people buying transmutation stones.
if they keep releasing outfits that don’t require transmutation stones, then logically they won’t sell as many, also every time you switch armour you require transmutation stones to transfer the look, unlike outfits.

in other words Anet, You’ll make more money if you release outfits as armours.
plus i’ll add in that alot of the costumes are already in separate parts and already have icons because thats how they functioned before the wardrobe update.

(edited by Liewec.2896)

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I still call so many levels of BS on this. Asura’s, in themselves, break any form of “profession appearance”. Since Asura’s are the size of a tick-tac on screen. So unless they want to remove the entire race, this will always be a greater issue.

Outfits work in WvW. Just fyi

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

If I recall correctly, the default appearance option for PvP is an option. Those who care will use that option when they are fighting other players. Why on earth should that limit outfits from being made into skins? Is it so hard to glance up to your target’s name display at the top of your screen to see what class they are?

The outfits don’t have to be made into sets of six pieces, nothing says that it needs to be six pieces.

I never said that the default appearance is not an option.

The point is a that it is a design decision on ArenaNet’s part to ensure that no two armor classes can look completely identical – and having outfits as armor does exactly this. This is likely why Lawless stopped at gloves, helm, boots, and shoulders, and would be why the chest and leggings for Hellfire and Radiant are different amongst armor classes despite the fact that the gloves, helm, boots, and shoulders are the same across the armor classes.

And yes, the outfits do have to be in six pieces – all armor sets are. There are a very small group that have the shoulders overridden (only 3 I think – asura light T3, Order of Whispers light, and CoF medium), and there are even fewer chest pieces that override leggings (CoF light at least); the outfits would have to override shoulders, boots, gloves, and/or leggings depending on the outfit.

Bloody Prince and Executioner outfits, for example, are two items. The head piece and the chest piece. The chest piece would override gloves, shoulders, boots, and leggings. If this was made into an armor, it would allow no more customization than just allowing helm to mix-and-match.

Mad King’s Outfit and Witch’s Outfit (and Hexen) have chest, shoulders, and leggings as one piece, if memory serves me right, thus they would have to function like CoF’s chest piece. Again, does not allow much customization.

In order to do what you want, they would have to recreate the outfits from absolute scratch. There is no simple conversion here, even if said conversion would result simply in them becoming overriding armor pieces.

Outfits work in WvW. Just fyi

Thought as much but wasn’t sure, and it’s less of an issue in WvW since that’s an imbalanced format by design.

Outfits as armor won’t ever be done because it would require too much work for its worth. Rather than that, it would be better to try to get them to allow either customization amongst the costumes (how it was originally) or to allow just helm/rest-of-body customization between costumes and armor (like how it was done in GW1), and costumes just removed for PvP.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I never said that the default appearance is not an option.

The point is a that it is a design decision on ArenaNet’s part to ensure that no two armor classes can look completely identical – and having outfits as armor does exactly this.

Having outfits wearable in combat undermines that philosophy. Most armor sets can’t be identical but for different reasons along the lines of technical limitations with meshes and their movements. Since they designed armor around classes first and foremost, that means not all outfits would work on all classes without replacing the entire model (which they do, to save trouble). Personally, I don’t know why they don’t spend some time in the shadows working to change that because it seems like such an archaic concept (or maybe they are, and releasing outfits instead of armor in the meantime so when it’s ready, they’ll just release armor sets that can be shared between class weights).

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The real crux of it is that it’s a one-design-fits-all scenario vs. 3 sets for 5 races plus other variables. They charge 100 gems less and it’s a lot less work overall.

I agree though. Mixing and matching pieces is what I like about armor sets vs. outfits. I may like gloves or boots or a chest part on an outfit, but rarely do I like the whole thing. When armor sets were being made more, I would buy them sometimes for specific pieces. Mind you, I thought that one time they tried selling us boots, helm, gloves and shoulders for what I consider to be an outrageous price, not the way to go, but the outfit thing is garbage. Heck, if you have to, sell the outfits as a one size fits all but broken into 6 pieces like armor. Charge 800 gems and be done with it like the OP is saying.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Even just letting us swap our helms, which you could do in GW1, would be really nice.

+1 want this so bad.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Depths.4051

Depths.4051

The real crux of it is that it’s a one-design-fits-all scenario vs. 3 sets for 5 races plus other variables. They charge 100 gems less and it’s a lot less work overall.

I agree though. Mixing and matching pieces is what I like about armor sets vs. outfits. I may like gloves or boots or a chest part on an outfit, but rarely do I like the whole thing. When armor sets were being made more, I would buy them sometimes for specific pieces. Mind you, I thought that one time they tried selling us boots, helm, gloves and shoulders for what I consider to be an outrageous price, not the way to go, but the outfit thing is garbage. Heck, if you have to, sell the outfits as a one size fits all but broken into 6 pieces like armor. Charge 800 gems and be done with it like the OP is saying.

Outfits are nice, but I died a little inside when I bought the last knight armor piece and realized I would be able to use the poofy pants on anything else. If I’m given the choice, I much prefer being able to mix and match.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

I think there are some simple steps they could take towards fixing the Outfits to appeal to more people.

1) Make the outfits Shoulder/Head gear free and allow people to use all their own Shoulder and Head skins with the costume.

2) Go ahead and make the shoes, gloves, shoulder, and head pieces from the existing costumes, into stand alone armor skins.

Option 1 gives players something nice while waiting for the costumed to be converted into armor skins. Some of those costumes have the best shoes/gloves in the whole game, that would look great with other armors (IMO)

Option 2 coverts the bulk of all the costumes into stand alone skins, buying more time to work on converting the chest and leg pieces.