Tutorial maps - megaserver system

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I think this is a bad idea! How can tutorial be for multiple players? It works as a personal story. There are steps the character has to activate by moving to them/killing enemies. How do you think this will work when there will be more people on the same map? It does not make sense at all.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

the tutorials maps have always been for multiple players, regardless of the steps players have to go through. they have, up until now, been your server only, now they will be for everyone going through the tutorial.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yeah, it’s always been an open map area, Mortifer. This isn’t changing anything.

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

The tutorial maps have always been with other people

Now the other people will just be from servers other than your own

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

Tutorial has always been for multiple players. It just worked on the old instance-per-world system so you needed to have another player doing the tutorial on the same world in order to see them. There were loads of players in the tutorial at the same time as me back at launch and it worked fine.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Mortifer.2946

What? I created my characters years ago so I don’t remember. But how does it work with the final boss? If somebody misses it, he or she has to wait for it? That sound silly.

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

What? I created my characters years ago so I don’t remember. But how does it work with the final boss? If somebody misses it, he or she has to wait for it? That sound silly.

yep that’s the way it goes. Waiting means another event though.

EverythingOP

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Using the human instance as an example:

Once someone reaches the garrison, the defense event begins. The garrison remains open until it gets to the last wave, where the boss centaur runs in. Once that wave starts, the garrison doors close, and any players who get there after that will have to defend the bridge until the first group finishes the boss (or run around the side of the cliff, but you can’t do that in every version of the starting instances). Once the first group is done, the next group goes in to start it again.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

yep that’s the way it goes. Waiting means another event though.

Even if you don’t do a single hit on the last boss (For example, the two earth hands in the Defense of Shaemoor) you still progress to the next stage. Once you’ve simply ‘seen’ the hands, you’re the Hero of Shaemoor, in game terms.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Mortifer.2946

Heh, okay then. Should I delete the topic?

Posted by: BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

It’s odd though that the switch to megaserver is supposed to have been added only with the latest patch. I noticed doing the tutorial area today (before the patch hit) I was always with several other players whereas yesterday I was always alone on the map.

So much left that I wanted to see…

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Back at launch there were always a bunch of people in each starter instance.
Now I never see anyone at all and the things are mindnumbingly tedious.
I suspect they were designed around having multiple people, this will just help push people together into fewer instances.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon