Tutorial really requires this...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

https://i2.wp.com/mmorpg-news.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/riders-of-icarus-action-mode-lair-of-ienos-dungeon-mmorpg-news.jpg?ssl=1

I took a break from GW2, and when coming back was shocked to find the action camera is still buried in settings and is not pointed out to new players during the tutorial. I play other mmos and it’s standard for them to do what that above graphic is doing.

Noticed that recently there was a reddit topic on it too.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6aeryq/suggestion_mention_action_cam_in_the_tutorial/

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

Maybe action camera isn’t in the tutorial because action camera didn’t exist when the tutorial for gw2 was made?

Action camera is explained well enough in some of the HoT adventures, if you care to know about it. I’m not sure why that one setting is a reason to go back and change the beginning of the game.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I would say the camera turning speed would be a more important thing that should be explained in the starting instant than the action cam. Yet when a new player comes to this game it’s not there.

The good thing is people used to playing other mmos or similar design games – they know to look for it and find it easy enough. Having said that, anyone used to an action camera sort of game should have no problems doing the same.

With regards to actual new people to this genre or play style of the game, I would say it would be too much for them at the time. The starting instant is more of a story/char set up anyway than an actual tutorial. They should be focusing on the story and the very basics of the game which I think is done well enough.

However I would not be against an implementation of an optional advanced tutorial of a sort where players could play it in their own time when they felt ready for it. Such a tutorial then should feature the action cam info yes.

However if that’s something Anet would consider worthy of their resources right now, or ever, I would say I wouldn’t be too hopeful on that sadly.

Yet there was a call a year ago or so on these very forums for volunteers to help anet test some new “player experience thing” or something, I wonder whatever happened to that or if it’s still in the works…

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

When I start a new game, one of the first things I do is dive into settings, tailor the mouse buttons, get the lighting right, etc. Do most people gloss past settings? Do devs really need to mention settings in a tutorial?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree that the tutorial isn’t actually much of a tutorial. It doesn’t teach you anything except the absolute basics. Personally I tend to call it and introduction because I think that’s more accurate.

But I can also see the value in trying not to overwhelm brand new players with options and settings when they’ve just started and may just want to get on and play.

Maybe it could be added to one of the level up notifications?

When I start a new game, one of the first things I do is dive into settings, tailor the mouse buttons, get the lighting right, etc. Do most people gloss past settings? Do devs really need to mention settings in a tutorial?

I always go through the settings when I get a new game, partially to make sure things like the screen size are actually correct and partially just to see what’s there.

But my husband is adamant that if the game is well made the defaults should be fine, at least at first, and if he has to go and change things right away it’s a sign of bad game design, so he refuses to look unless he decides he wants to change a specific thing.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I mention this because more than enough times I have come across people saying they don’t want to play guild wars 2 because they don’t like tab targeting. Trying to convince people that guild wars 2 has more than one control scheme seems weird.

(edited by Redfeather.6401)