Twice Daily Daily?

Twice Daily Daily?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MethodicMockingbird.6520

MethodicMockingbird.6520

How is it that I can do the daily twice (atleast) a day? I’m not really complaining, but…

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

I think there are steps if I’m not mistaken. Like you do 5 of this then you can move on to 15 and so on. I could be utterly wrong though I don’t often follow when I’ve completed one.

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

The time zone you play in and the server can be different. So in fact, it is possible to do this achievement twice in a day – based on your time.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

Dailies reset at 5PM PST.

Twice Daily Daily?

MethodicMockingbird.6520

I did not know this. Why don’t they reset at midnight?

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

I did not know this. Why don’t they reset at midnight?

Because they reset at GMT+0 I believe.

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Servers need to be synchronised from memory. You take GMT+0 of one and synch the rest to it, therefore based on where you play, you may find that you can do this achievement twice in your day.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

4PM PST

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

4PM PST

5PM PST is a PST player

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

4PM PST

5PM PST is a PST player

4PM PST

5PM PDT

Daylight savings time is over in the US.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

Yeah, it all resets at 5pm. With my schedule, I kill my dailes before work, then when I get off, I can go do it all again. Love it.

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Saidor.7028

Saidor.7028

You cant do it twice daily. You can do it twice on one particular day, but you wont be able to do it again the following day.

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

The particular hour at which it resets puts it squarely in the middle of prime playing time for many Americans, so it’s probably just switching to a new day while you’re running around. Because of this, it can appear you’re doing it twice, but you really aren’t. It just resets earlier in the day than most people expect it to.

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I find it convenient sometimes, annoying at others. It resets at 7 or 8pm for me (EST depending on daylight savings). There have been times I’ve gotten most of my daily done after work but I get interrupted for 2 hours. Come back, reset, drat. Other times I canbang em both out in 1 night. That’s nice.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Twice Daily Daily?

MethodicMockingbird.6520

You cant do it twice daily. You can do it twice on one particular day, but you wont be able to do it again the following day.

Daily means “once per day”. This concept is flawed unless they fix it to reset at midnight for every server individually.

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Daily means “once per day”. This concept is flawed unless they fix it to reset at midnight for every server individually.

Your concept is flawed because people from different time zones play in all of the servers.

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

It does reset at midnight, where midnight is GMT. GMT makes sense because the UK is the middle of the world. That’s why it’s right in the middle of a world map.

No matter how they do it, unless you play in the time zone that’s designated as the index, it’ll overlap your real time calendar’s borders.

Twice Daily Daily?

MethodicMockingbird.6520

Your concept is flawed because people from different time zones play in all of the servers.

I actually rescind my statement from before, because it wouldn’t solve the problem, but having people that play in different timezones in the same server doesn’t affect this at all. It needs a timer.

Twice Daily Daily?

mulch.2586

I actually rescind my statement from before, because it wouldn’t solve the problem, but having people that play in different timezones in the same server doesn’t affect this at all. It needs a timer.

Oh I think I get what you mean —
So if I complete my daily today at noon, it starts a timer that gives me 24 hrs before I can earn it again. Something like that?

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

Yes it does make a difference and Yes it does have a timer…Every 24 hours GMT

All servers reset at that time regardless of your time zone but according to your time zone is when you’ll personally see the reset occur. So, if you are EST then you are GMT -5 (-6 for EDT) so it would reset at 8pm during the summer and 7pm during the winter.

And to the person that said that the UK is in the center of the world because it’s on the map that way…well, uh, NO.

EDIT: I’m not saying that this is the best system but that’s how it works. Personally, I’d like us all to have personal timers that reset according to our own schedules but that’s just impossible for an MMO to achieve in all fairness. This really is the easiest system for an MMO company to manage properly…everyone can complete the dailies once within their respective 24 hour period in regards to their own time zones.

This sentence is false.

(edited by BioFringe.7945)

Twice Daily Daily?

MethodicMockingbird.6520

Oh I think I get what you mean —
So if I complete my daily today at noon, it starts a timer that gives me 24 hrs before I can earn it again. Something like that?

Pretty much exactly. It wouldn’t be that hard to implement from a programming POV, and it would make the Daily into an actual Daily. I’m kind of surprised that it’s not this way right now. Maybe it requires too much handling on each profile?

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Once per server Day period. Just because you can it do twice (once before 5pm and once after 5pm) means you’ve done it twice in two server Day periods.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Twice Daily Daily?

BioFringe.7945

Once per server Day period. Just because you can it do twice (once before 5pm and once after 5pm) means you’ve done it twice in two server Day periods.

Cheers.

No…it doesn’t.

If you complete it before 5pm then that would be in one server period while completing it after 5pm would be in a second server period. If you happen to do this then the next day you couldn’t complete it again until after 5pm.

Don’t look at it as before and after…look at it as always before. Before 5pm regardless of what day you do it. If you complete it by then you will be able to work on it again and complete it early for the next day if you like.

This sentence is false.

Twice Daily Daily?

MethodicMockingbird.6520

The point I’m trying to make is that this “Daily” can potentially be completed twice in a 24 hour timespan. By that virtue it is no longer a Daily. If you consider the server Day periods and when servers reset, then yeah, sure, you may have lapsed over into another day while on your Daily work, but with servers reseting at a constant, singular time, the system would be much better off with day-long timers to dictate when Dailys can be done.

Twice Daily Daily?

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

The point I’m trying to make is that this “Daily” can potentially be completed twice in a 24 hour timespan. By that virtue it is no longer a Daily.

It can be done more than once in 24 hours depending on how you allot your time, but it can only be done once per calendar day (beginning at midnight GMT.) So it’s still daily.

How you distribute your time within that calendar day is up to you.

Twice Daily Daily?

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Yes, you can do it twice in a 24 hour period, but your average will never be more or less than once every 24 hours if you do the daily every day. It is better than having a 24 hour timer for each person because your average will always be somewhere less than once per 24 hours.

It is better this way. Trust me on this. Having a personal reset timer means you lose chances to do the daily. I’ve played MMOs with dailies like this, and unless you play GW2 at the same time every day, you lose hours.

Here’s an example of the flawed personal timer:
1) You complete the daily at 8pm Friday night. Timer sets for 24 hours, you cannot repeat until 8pm Saturday night.
2) You play all morning on Saturday, but you cannot play after 8pm Saturday night.
3) You play all day Sunday. You complete the Daily at 9am Sunday morning. You cannot repeat the daily until Monday at 9am.

What happened here is that between 8pm SAT and 9am SUN is lost time to do the daily. Basically, your daily “schedule” is pushed out by 13 hours.

Having a global reset time (regardless of which time) favors the player because it locks your average at once per 24 hours. Unless you don’t play for a full 24 hours, you don’t lose any time. You can complete the Friday’s daily at 8pm on Friday, then complete Saturday’s daily at 9am on Sunday, then complete Sunday’s daily at 8pm on Sunday. You are given 24 hours to do the daily quest. That’s what makes it a daily.

Twice Daily Daily?

MethodicMockingbird.6520

Yes, you can do it twice in a 24 hour period, but your average will never be more or less than once every 24 hours if you do the daily every day. It is better than having a 24 hour timer for each person because your average will always be somewhere less than once per 24 hours.

It is better this way. Trust me on this. Having a personal reset timer means you lose chances to do the daily. I’ve played MMOs with dailies like this, and unless you play GW2 at the same time every day, you lose hours.

Here’s an example of the flawed personal timer:
1) You complete the daily at 8pm Friday night. Timer sets for 24 hours, you cannot repeat until 8pm Saturday night.
2) You play all morning on Saturday, but you cannot play after 8pm Saturday night.
3) You play all day Sunday. You complete the Daily at 9am Sunday morning. You cannot repeat the daily until Monday at 9am.

What happened here is that between 8pm SAT and 9am SUN is lost time to do the daily. Basically, your daily “schedule” is pushed out by 13 hours.

Having a global reset time (regardless of which time) favors the player because it locks your average at once per 24 hours. Unless you don’t play for a full 24 hours, you don’t lose any time. You can complete the Friday’s daily at 8pm on Friday, then complete Saturday’s daily at 9am on Sunday, then complete Sunday’s daily at 8pm on Sunday. You are given 24 hours to do the daily quest. That’s what makes it a daily.

At this perspective it would be better to have each server reset at midnight for each timezone, as in, EU servers would reset at GMT 0 (midnight for them), and NA servers would reset at GMT -… for wherever the server is in North America. Then, you could implement a formula to offset the rest of the time difference (for those players who play in timezones they don’t live in, etc.) with a function similar to a “fill-in from browser” seen on Wikis. This would minimize the amount that players could actually complete the Daily more than once per calendar day, and allow them to complete it whenever they chose each day.

Twice Daily Daily?

BioFringe.7945

Thing is that with the current system you can choose to do it twice in one day (but not everyday like that) but your proposed system would have potential to force players not to complete the daily on certain days (as explained above).

Choice is better than force.

This sentence is false.

Twice Daily Daily?

mulch.2586

Thing is that with the current system you can choose to do it twice in one day (but not everyday like that) but your proposed system would have potential to force players not to complete the daily on certain days (as explained above).

Choice is better than force.

Yeah, but…
Ever since they added those big jugs of karma, I feel like it’s a bit unbalancing. Depending what you do during your play time, the daily will likely be the biggest source of karma and a non-trivial source of wealth.

If I log in just to do the daily (and believe me, I have), I can feel just with that one thing I’ve accomplished something — ergo if I don’t get my daily I feel like I missed out. So I may end up skipping some otherwise fun activities to just kick out the daily.

The suggested modification would make it not once per 24 hours, but at least 24 hours between, which would reduce player income of karma, cash, xp, and trivial BLTC items. Which might have a positive effect on our gaming world.

I don’t feel strongly either way.

Twice Daily Daily?

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

At this perspective it would be better to have each server reset at midnight for each timezone, as in, EU servers would reset at GMT 0 (midnight for them), and NA servers would reset at GMT -… for wherever the server is in North America. Then, you could implement a formula to offset the rest of the time difference (for those players who play in timezones they don’t live in, etc.) with a function similar to a “fill-in from browser” seen on Wikis. This would minimize the amount that players could actually complete the Daily more than once per calendar day, and allow them to complete it whenever they chose each day.

While this would indeed work, I don’t see a need for it.

I just don’t see a problem here that requires a more complex system of server resets.

Why complicate what doesn’t seem to be broken? What does it matter how people time their dailies?

Twice Daily Daily?

MethodicMockingbird.6520

Because it’s not just a problem with Dailys; it also affects the Monthly achievement, and when people lose a month’s worth of potential rewards (work, etc.), they get pretty disgruntled about it.