Two questions!

Two questions!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Walder.6524

Walder.6524

Hey folks,

I’m just coming back to GW2 and I have a couple of questions:

1) What’s there to do at endgame? What are my options when I’m max level and log in?? I’m strictly a PvE player, no PvP.

2) A hand disability makes it difficult for me to move and attack at the same time, as well as dodge attacks. I just don’t have the reaction speed. What would be a better choice for a pretty stationary, “turret” type build that doesn’t have to dodge much: Ranger or Necro?

Thanks for any advice!

Two questions!

Posted by: Mitern.1563

Mitern.1563

Welcome back! As a relatively new player who is still learning how to play well, I would like to share some things I’ve learned.

I will answer the second question first; try both Necromancer (Minion Master) and Ranger and see what you like better. I am currently playing a Necromancer and the minions have saved my butt on several occasions but I do often melee attack to do more damage. As a Ranger with a tanky pet, you can also do well from a distance (Longbow Bear) from what I read. Reading about the profession you choose and watching videos will help a lot. Since you have trouble dodging, just be alert and get ready to run if your pet or minions die since you indicate you would have trouble with melee. I would probably lean more towards Ranger if I were you because of the distance between you and the enemy.

In response to your first question; I made the mistake of being concerned about the end game for the first month or so and then what fellow players have been saying clicked, “It’s a game. Have fun!” Set goals for yourself like mapping an area, hunting Karka, finishing the first chapter of the story, getting to level 400 in crafting, collecting all the pets (if you choose Ranger), and just exploring, enjoying the NPCs’ conversations and great art work. If you see a battle going on, join in from a distance. There are many things to explore and do during the game. I guess I am saying, enjoy the journey because the end game is a long way off (for now).

I would also recommend Human or Norn areas because they seem (to me) to be a little easier.

Hope this helps :-)

Two questions!

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

For endgame, you’ll get the response from many people that it’s all down to cosmetics and “fashion wars”. Endgame is whatever you want to make it out to be. It can be anywhere to farming and accumulating wealth ingame, being proactive with a guild, learning to be more competitive, or finishing collections ingame – which would rely on a steady income of gold ingame.

There’s even starting new characters and stepping out of your comfort zone to try out new builds that might interest you.

I personally try to come on when I’m able to have free time from work and relax from the day by playing and doing dailies or participating in whatever meta is currently going on.

And for your 2nd question, I’d lean more heavily towards necro or engineer, or any range build and it’s not limited to those two classes, I have a combo build guardian/dragonhunter that uses scepter/torch then closes in and incapacitates with hammer before dropping heavy hitting traps.

Just gotta experiment a bit and look at what all classes are capable of.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

(edited by mXz.4512)

Two questions!

Walder.6524

OK, thanks a bunch guys!

As for Engineer, would that work as well as a Necro or Hunter, as far as not having to dodge much? With no pet for the mob attacks to be directed at?

Two questions!

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Go necro, I reckon.

Two questions!

Walder.6524

Do engineers drop turrets or anything that can “tank” by drawing aggro?

Two questions!

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

As far as I know, turrets go down fairly quickly when focused. If you’re looking for fodder, you’d best try a Mesmer (Clones/Illusions/Blocks/TIME-WARPED PACK OF BALTHAZAR), Necromancer (Minions/Shroud) or Ranger (Controllable Pet/Support) – all of which can take a hit or two while remaining more or less spamable.

Dodging will always be integral to staying alive, but these classes are the one’s to pick if you want to avoid drawing aggro onto yourself.

Two questions!

Mitern.1563

Turrets don’t draw agro like pets or minions and engineer sometimes requires finger work to change kits from what I read. My first character was a Mesmer and Mesmers are slow to level, your clones disappear when the enemy they are fighting disappears and they also require some fast finger work sometimes (Continuum Split).

For PvE and with your disability, I would lean more towards Ranger for the distance. BTW, you may be in tights spots like caves where you will need to pull out the Ranger’s Greatsword but it does better damage than the bow. The Necro has a second life bar and pets but will required more hand usage for switching form and using abilities.

Two questions!

Posted by: Tom.6478

Tom.6478

To OP……I admit I’m prejudiced, so maybe its not the best.

I’m much like you, I can’t dodge or do any fancy button pushing.

My main is a druid ranger with full celestial armor, weapons, and trinkets. I use a staff as my main weapon with axe axe as secondary. I use feline pets.

I know I’m am far from being the best…..However, this build with my limited abilities has gotten me over 23000 achievement points and over 5000 gold.

I’m not saying its the best for someone like us, but it has worked for me.

Two questions!

Walder.6524

OK, thanks again, guys!

Tom, what is a Druid Ranger? I’m just a regular Ranger, I think? Also, how do you avoid having to dodge? I just don’t have the reaction time to pull it off with any consistency.

Two questions!

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

Turrets don’t really actively draw aggro, however they do work as sort of a weak tank. If you drop some and put some distance between you, you can get mobs to attack the turrets instead of you, but they won’t hold aggro for long at all. Good for a quick break out for a heal burst but not too much else.

Two questions!

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

OK, thanks again, guys!

Tom, what is a Druid Ranger? I’m just a regular Ranger, I think? Also, how do you avoid having to dodge? I just don’t have the reaction time to pull it off with any consistency.

Druid is the Ranger’s Heart of Thorns elite specialization. It provides utility, support, and healing (LOTS of healing).

The game’s “Endgame” is skin-hunting, Heart of Thorns and LS3 maps, legendary crafting, and the entire gameworld.

Two questions!

Walder.6524

Am I fooling myself by thinking there is an option that can get by with almost no dodging in PvE?

Two questions!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

In lower-level zones, probably yes. Have you considered acquiring a mouse that has buttons to which you can assign the Dodge function?

Or, as I use, a mouse that is stationary (I don’t need to use any keys for movement)?

Two questions!

Walder.6524

Unfortunately, it’s more of a reaction time problem.

Two questions!

Posted by: Mortifera.6138

Mortifera.6138

Pre-emptively dodge after you’ve learned the timing, rather than reacting.

Pre-dodge.

Two questions!

Mitern.1563

Are you playing a Bearbow Ranger, Minion Master Necromancer or something else? The only part in early level PVE that you really have to dodge is to get to a chest that is surrounded by spikes or some other traps. Everything else you should be able to kill from a distance while your pet or minions take the heat. Where are you having a problem? Someone might be able to come up with an alternative solution.

Two questions!

Walder.6524

I’m playing a Bear Bow Ranger right now, early levels. It’s not a problem yet. I’m looking to later PvE content, where I’m afraid things will do more damage or even one-shot me.

Two questions!

Mitern.1563

That is the mistake I made about a month or so ago. I was trying to rush to Heart of Thorns and when I got there, I kept dying. Now, I am taking my time and mapping with a Necromancer. He finished all the home cities, all areas level 1 to 25, Gendarran’s Field and is working on Lornar’s Pass, and he is already at level 78 some hard parts but all fun. Especially if you listen to the NPCs talk, look at the Vistas and just enjoy the game. Also, every City has 2 or 3 pets you can get.

Just remember to upgrade your gear every 10 to 20 levels. If you start dying more, check your equipment. Jewelry and other things also help. Take your time and have fun.