Tybalt Leftpaw Fashion School

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Named in honor of our dear Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw. Welcome to the Tybalt Leftpaw School of Fashion!

How this thread works (for students):

• You post a picture asking for feedback on an outfit/color choice
  • You ask any questions you may have about colors, fashion, etc.
  • Note: For faster and better feedback from experts, please identify what items are part of the outfits you post and identify any relevant dye colors. If you really want to speed up the process, include the item codes, so people can go straight in game and start previewing stuff to find improvements to your outfit.

How this thread works (for alleged experts):

• You give feedback on peoples’ pictures, explaining your reasoning to the best of your ability
  • You answer any questions people may have about colors, fashion, etc.

Keep Calm and Let the Vigil do the Fighting:
Participation is, of course, optional. You don’t need any credentials to answer a question – all I ask is that you do your best to be constructive and reasoned when responding to people.

You don’t need to be terrible at fashion to ask for advice – all I ask is that you come in with an open mind and a willingness to listen to criticism. The expectation is that if you ask for feedback on an outfit, you are willing to take the constructive criticism as it comes.

If any of this gets out of hand, I will not hesitate to yell “mommy!” (that is, talk to a mod)

Box O’ Fashion Tips:

• There are no right or wrong choices.
  • Despite tip 1 being true, most people unanimously agree that certain color combinations work well together in specific ways. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_colors
  • Skin tones are subtle but nonetheless have a powerful effect on what colors will look good on a given individual.
  • Hair color is part of your natural color scheme as well.

My Credentials:
Attached below are some sample outfits I have put together. You can use them to help you decide whether to put any trust in my ability to spout words about fashion.

Have fun!

Attachments:

Or words to that effect.

(edited by Labjax.2465)

Labjax.2465

Don’t be afraid! I won’t bite.

There may or may not be a rabid Quaggan around who could bite you, but he’s blue and cuddly, so it’s ok. At worst, you will become a mutant zombie Quaggan vampire.

Or words to that effect.

Labjax.2465

Alright, ima put my own head on the chopping block. Get this started.

I’m trying to figure out a cyborg-lookin outfit for a medium armor human female. Below is what I’ve got so far. I’m going for a metallic-robot look, but I’m not sure about the chest and pants at all.

I’ve checked the look with tons of different trenchcoats and most of em hide so much of the figure that the implied robot aspect becomes absurdly ambiguous (e.g. not really selling the look). So I’m experimenting with the smaller pieces, but few of them are even close to metallic-looking.

Any thoughts?

Attachments:

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Rhianne.4027

Rhianne.4027

I’m not a fashion expert, but did spend some time looking for a non-trenchcoat look for my thief. Glorious brigandine chest/priory historical trousers are both figure hugging and have a banded pattern that might work as robot-looking.

I like the rest of the outfit, though, will be back in a day or two with some looks I’m stuck on.

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I think that the glorious chest and pants are good for this, the downside is that the pants aren’t really visible with the viper boots, so I would recommend going with swindler boots. Another thing to consider is changing the gloves from magitech (which look a bit bulky in my opinion) to either aetherblade or council watchmen.

Attachments:

EverythingOP

Labjax.2465

I’m not a fashion expert, but did spend some time looking for a non-trenchcoat look for my thief. Glorious brigandine chest/priory historical trousers are both figure hugging and have a banded pattern that might work as robot-looking.

I like the rest of the outfit, though, will be back in a day or two with some looks I’m stuck on.

Cool, look forward to seeing what you’re workin on. Thanks for the ideas.

I think that the glorious chest and pants are good for this, the downside is that the pants aren’t really visible with the viper boots, so I would recommend going with swindler boots. Another thing to consider is changing the gloves from magitech (which look a bit bulky in my opinion) to either aetherblade or council watchmen.

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the ideas. I don’t have the glorious set right now, but I may look into going for it.

I do see your point about the gloves. They are rather lopsided, I think is what makes them look… off. Only problem is, they were actually what inspired the cyborg idea because they’ve got that mechanical/skeletal look to them.

I see the aetherblade has the cogs on it though, so that might work.

Or words to that effect.

Tim.6450

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the ideas. I don’t have the glorious set right now, but I may look into going for it.

You also could go strider’s chest but then you get closer to some armored ninja-ish get up which may remove the cyborg aspect.

EverythingOP

Labjax.2465

You also could go strider’s chest but then you get closer to some armored ninja-ish get up which may remove the cyborg aspect.

I see what you mean. I’ll have to experiment with some coloring on the previews and see if I can determine anything from there.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Go with a generic barbie hairstyle. Is it just me, or are all ‘female’ cyborgs blondes with a ponytail?

Edit:also…#protip: whenever you’re taking a screenie of a toon from the character select menu, make sure to launch the game fresh so you’ll reset the lighting effects. It makes a drastic difference. (Idk why it’s still not fixed after all this time.)

(edited by Tman.6349)

Rhianne.4027

I wanted a look similar to the male whispers light armour, but on my female elementalist – swirly robes that cover most skin but are figure hugging.

I’m quite happy with the legs and headpiece, less sure about the shoulders-top-gloves combination – the current one sort of balances out, but it’s hard finding something simple and covering enough to go with the rest of the outfit.

Please ignore the dyes – the colour channels in the various parts don’t match up, so I just went for options which didn’t look awful (abyss/blue shade/dust/black cherry). Once I get the pieces I’d like to see if paler colours work, to contrast with her skin-tone.

Parts list:
Glorious Crown
Devout Mantle
Seer Coat/Trickster Coat (has slashes in the fabric along the elbow)
Wrappings of the Lich
Trappings of the Lich
Apprentice Shoes
Krytan staff

Attachments:

Tim.6450

I wanted a look similar to the male whispers light armour, but on my female elementalist – swirly robes that cover most skin but are figure hugging.

I’m quite happy with the legs and headpiece, less sure about the shoulders-top-gloves combination – the current one sort of balances out, but it’s hard finding something simple and covering enough to go with the rest of the outfit.

Please ignore the dyes – the colour channels in the various parts don’t match up, so I just went for options which didn’t look awful (abyss/blue shade/dust/black cherry). Once I get the pieces I’d like to see if paler colours work, to contrast with her skin-tone.

Parts list:
Glorious Crown
Devout Mantle
Wrappings of the Lich
Trappings of the Lich
Apprentice Shoes
Krytan staff

Why don’t you go:
Glorious Crown
Guild archmage Mantle
Seer Coat
Trickster’s gloves
Trappings of the Lich
Apprentice Shoes
Krytan staff

I like this a bit more over you’re own choice since the transition between the shoulders and the chest armor is a bit forced in your choice. I picked the gloves because I think the eye and teeth don’t fit with the theme with the rest of the set.

Attachments:

EverythingOP

Rhianne.4027

Thanks – I really like your version. Unfortunately the Guild Archmage Mantle isn’t available in game (along with the rest of the Guild- armour, I’m not sure why) but I’ll keep an eye out for your it being introduced, and go for those gloves if I get the Trickster set.

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

Hey, I need opinions on a new set I’m working on. It’s Halloween inspired look that turned out to be something like the Halloween outfits combined. ‘’Demon eyes’’ (Lich outfit), dress-like armor (Count outfit) with bones (Witch outfit).

If you think there are any parts that need improving, feel free to suggest improvements.

Attachments:

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Labjax.2465

Go with a generic barbie hairstyle. Is it just me, or are all ‘female’ cyborgs blondes with a ponytail?

Edit:also…#protip: whenever you’re taking a screenie of a toon from the character select menu, make sure to launch the game fresh so you’ll reset the lighting effects. It makes a drastic difference. (Idk why it’s still not fixed after all this time.)

Thanks for the tip. And now that you mention, I may actually try that. It is kind of an archetype, isnt it.

Parts list:
Glorious Crown
Devout Mantle
Wrappings of the Lich
Trappings of the Lich
Apprentice Shoes
Krytan staff

I like it. ^^

I would be interested to see what it looks like with the dyes matching up. That’s the only thing that stuck out to me, is that the dyes aren’t quite syncing well. I’m also not sure about the slashes on the arms, but I may just be noticing it because of the dyes.

Hey, I need opinions on a new set I’m working on. It’s Halloween inspired look that turned out to be something like the Halloween outfits combined. ‘’Demon eyes’’ (Lich outfit), dress-like armor (Count outfit) with bones (Witch outfit).

If you think there are any parts that need improving, feel free to suggest improvements.

Oooh, nice. I’m not sure about the coat – I’m thinking maybe something smaller and more raggedy-looking to go with the bone-heavy look (if there’s anything like that). Other than that, I really like the overall feel of it. It almost makes me think of the risen mobs.

Maybe nightmare court chest? That might be too large and billowy though.. I’m not sure where the chest ends and the pants begin on that set.

Or words to that effect.

Tim.6450

First I have to tell you that you might have some clipping issues just under the knee (the red on the foot is not clipping). Secondly just like labjax I’m not sure about the coat. I think the firstborn coat might be better.

Attachments:

EverythingOP

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

Yeah coat part was bugging me the most, but I don’t think Firstborn works :s. I just think that if you use cultural armor you use it everywhere and if not then no part should be cultural (as a Sylvari). I’ll have to go through the Wardrobe carefully today and see if I can find something better.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Tim.6450

Yeah coat part was bugging me the most, but I don’t think Firstborn works :s. I just think that if you use cultural armor you use it everywhere and if not then no part should be cultural (as a Sylvari). I’ll have to go through the Wardrobe carefully today and see if I can find something better.

How about Illustrious guise?

EverythingOP

Labjax.2465

Hey guys, I took the suggestions for the cyborg concept into account and tweaked a norn of mine for it. Below is the final product.

I ultimately decided to scrap the backpiece because I can’t dye it and I didn’t want to do rusty brown. I may try swapping out strider’s chest for glorious chest, if I ever get around to finishing the reward track for it.

Overall, I’m pretty satisfied with the result – I feel it has an almost sci-fi-cop look to it. Hope you guys enjoy looking at it and once again, thanks for your suggestions!

Attachments:

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: CoffeeCow.6508

CoffeeCow.6508

Tybalt Leftpaw, my favorite charr! He was such a nice fellow… Had some good apples too.
So, this is my happy charr, would love to hear some feedback from you fashion experts :-)
I’m still looking for some nice shoulders, not too bulky or fancy. Was thinking about the t2 cultural ones.
And if you have any other ideas or suggestion, I’m always willing to learn!

Attachments:

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I would put in the op post for people to also include their current set up, so people helping can immediately copy the look, then modify it from there

Labjax.2465

Tybalt Leftpaw, my favorite charr! He was such a nice fellow… Had some good apples too.
So, this is my happy charr, would love to hear some feedback from you fashion experts :-)
I’m still looking for some nice shoulders, not too bulky or fancy. Was thinking about the t2 cultural ones.
And if you have any other ideas or suggestion, I’m always willing to learn!

I like that horns-pulled-back look with his head. I’m not sure how I feel about the purple. It doesn’t look bad to me, but I feel like it could be better. Something like black may set a more rich contrast between his skin and gear, and would match the patches of black fur.

Is there any particular look you’re going for overall that the shoulders would add to or just something that looks cool?

I would put in the op post for people to also include their current set up, so people helping can immediately copy the look, then modify it from there

Good thought! I will look into adding that.

Edit: OP updated!

Or words to that effect.

(edited by Labjax.2465)

CoffeeCow.6508

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, not totally satisfied with the purple either, but I don’t have so many colors yet :P Usually I change the colors once in a while anyways, I get bored looking at the same ones for too long ^^
I have tried cocoa and midnight teal in the first and second pic.

pic 3 is with archon shoulders
pic 4 with aurora shoulders
and pic 5 with the vigil ones

Actually I’m looking for a light armor that looks, well, light, but fits on a charr. I know, not an easy task! And that doesn’t cover everything up. I’ve got furrrr!
The most fitting I think are the cultural ones, hence I’ve worked with them so far. I also got the vigil armor, and I quite like it, but I want to try something different.

Oh yeah, armor she’s wearing now:
- head: the air starter thingy
- magus coat
- vigil gloves
- archon leggings
- invoker’s boots

Happy to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Attachments:

CoffeeCow.6508

Oh and I couldn’t resist taking a picture of these two wonderfully fahionable specimen I found in Lion’s Arch!

Attachments:

Tim.6450

@CoffeeCow A light armor char? Seriously of all the combinations … . Now on topic, When I looked at the set with the archon shoulders I felt that the decorated, metal looking chest piece and the sober, leather looking legging didn’t fit well.

For each of the two items I searched for a fitting counterpart and found one.
So if you want to keep the archon leggins, I suggest you take the trickster’s coat and no gloves(pic 1). Otherwhise if you want to keep the magus coat you could take the illustrious leggings in that case to keep a bit in decorated theme I would change the gloves to magus as well(pic 2).

Downside of either choice is , that is quite expensive since the trickster set is a gemstore product and the illustrious leggins is an ascended piece.

Attachments:

EverythingOP

CoffeeCow.6508

Thank you Tim for your suggestions, I will be looking in to those.

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Hi! I’ve been interested in finding a high-tech look for my Charr&Asura.
Weapons:
Bolt, Incinerator, The Predator, Fused/Aetherized weapons – I’m pretty sure I like these. Armor with dyes is a much more delicate and harder part, though, and that’s why I’m asking for your help :-)
Engineer, Thief(Medium Armor implied)

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Hi! I’ve been interested in finding a high-tech look for my Charr&Asura.
Weapons:
Bolt, Incinerator, The Predator, Fused/Aetherized weapons – I’m pretty sure I like these. Armor with dyes is a much more delicate and harder part, though, and that’s why I’m asking for your help :-)
Engineer, Thief(Medium Armor implied)

magitech with t3 cultural skirt… thats as “tech” as i was able to make it myself without having too much of the typical coat look…its far from the level of tech id love it to have..but a-net isnt really cooperative if you want “charrpunk” or asura style stuff. Maybe that helps

Attachments:

Labjax.2465

Hey, just wanted to post to say I’m gonna be away for a couple weeks starting Friday, so I won’t be able to give any advice here. I’m happy to see that others are doing quite splendidly at it though.

In particular, thanks Tim for giving people such detailed advice. And thanks to the rest of you too.

Hope you guys have lots of fun with wardrobe while I’m gone!

Or words to that effect.

Tim.6450

@Evelia sorry, I’m late I was a bit occupied with the living story . For the charr I think Basaltface did an excellent job at that for the Asura I suggest the following setup(first picture):

head: adventurer’s spectacles
shoulder: prototype epaulets
body: prototype chest
gloves: auxiliary powered gloves
leggings: protean leggings
boots: zodiac armor

For dyes I suggest a mix of blood, silver and abyss dye. For a (hopefully) cheaper alternative I suggest switching the zodiac boots for the carapace boots which will be avaidable in the living story episode 7 and changing the abyss dye for black . It will cause clipping with the toes though.(second picture still abyss dye)

Attachments:

EverythingOP