Tyrian Masteries: progress bar

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gold Recluse.9128

Gold Recluse.9128

There’s an annoying “feature” of the Masteries Progress Bar as compared to the original PvE XP progress bar, or even the PvP progress bar: It does not reset to zero after it has filled. I’m talking about the gold-colored bar at the bottom of the screen for L80 characters working in Central Tyria, not far western Maguuma.

In the past I have worked around this by selecting to a different mastery track – that would then show a partial progress bar indicating how much work was needed to gain another Mastery Point. Now that doesn’t work either. I am in the middle of Tier 3 of Legendary Crafting and I can no longer select a different track to work on, although there are tiers to complete in the Commander and Fractals lines. Not that I want to change; I just want to refresh the progress bar so I can see my relative progress.

Of course, there is that little “32” at the far left of the bar, which will tick up when I have enough XP, but often I feel as though it should have advanced when it has not. What am I overlooking, and how dumb am I going to feel when you tell me?

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I have no clue what you are saying. Go on wiki and read how masteries work.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I am also confused about what you are saying. I’ll try some ideas and see if they apply.

- You can’t reset a mastery bar. Any xp in it saves when you switch to another line.

- A full mastery bar stays full until you spend points to unlock it and move to the next tier. You cannot move tiers until you spend points. Perhaps the commander and fractal lines are waiting points spent? The number “32” should indicate points you have spent from your accumulated pool. Those are gained from acheivements and collections.

- If you press H and go to masteries, next to the central tyria red symbol is how many points you have to spent
If you select the mastery line you are on, it shows how many points needed to unlock when the xp bar fills completely. Each tier needs progressively more mastery points to unlock and move down a tier.

You may know all this already, but thought I’d try

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

I think you’ve misunderstood how masteries work.

Earning mastery points has nothing to do with your experience bar – they come from completing specific acheivements (look for red icons for Tyria, or green for Maguuma on the achievements panel).

Filling the experience bar lets you spend mastery points you’ve already earned. Once it’s full, go to the mastery panel, and click on the icon to the right of the bar there. The number to the left of the bar at the bottom of the screen should then go up, as it shows the number of points you’ve spent.

Posted by: Daidalos.2905

Daidalos.2905

I think he was stating that he didn’t understand your question as all other respondents have also been confused by what you’re asking. I think it might help if you rephrase your question to something a little clearer, though Randulf has provided a good explanation that might be a solution. Either way I don’t think your belittling will help your cause.

Posted by: Gold Recluse.9128

Gold Recluse.9128

- You can’t reset a mastery bar. Any xp in it saves when you switch to another line.
- A full mastery bar stays full until you spend points to unlock it and move to the next tier. . . . .

Yes, I have already spent points in the Commander (4 tiers done) and Fractals (1 tier complete) lines. I am working on the third tier of “Legendary”, with one point spent and five still needed. I might also want to change to the Fractals line, where I would need just one more point to complete the second tier, but it gives me no option to switch to that line either.

Hovering on the progress bar shows “3,810,000/3,810,000 experience”. It has been that way for at least two weeks. Don’t you think it would be nice to know how much more than that I have done in that time? I play at least an hour a day, often more than 3 hrs. During those two or more weeks I have killed many Champions, completed more than five Map Zones, as well as JPs, dungeons, a fractal and sundry Achievements.

WHY, ArenaNet, WHY does this progress bar not shift back to the left side and start refilling again the way that Every Other Progress Bar Does? In PvP, WvW, and <L80 PvE, (as well as most MMORPGs I kknow of) progress bars slowly fill with the ‘good’ color from left to right, and when the far right end is met, it goes ‘empty’ and starts filling again. Like the opposite of the fuel gauge in a vehicle.
What sense does it make that this progress bar gets stuck at the far right?

(edited by Gold Recluse.9128)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

That’s just the way it is. Once you have maxed out your Mastery XP bars, you no longer earn Mastery XP. This happens whether you just don’t have the Mastery Points to move to the next tier, or you have maxed out all desired Masteries.

There is no real purpose to showing an XP bar that fills for no purpose whatsoever. Also, what amount of XP should the bar show? First tier XP, second tier XP, fifth tier, tenth tier? Each is (would/could be) a different amount.

Perhaps, new Masteries (and Mastery Point Achievements) will be introduced in LSS3.

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

You can’t work on the next tier before you complete the previous one, but you can work on other lines. So if, for example, your bar is maxed in fractals mastery, but you don’t have the mastery points yet to continue, you could switch to the legendary crafting or pact commander masteries in the meantime so your experience doesn’t get wasted.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

. . . Once you have maxed out your Mastery XP bars, you no longer earn Mastery XP. . . . .

an XP bar that fills for no purpose whatsoever.

Also, what amount of XP should the bar show? First tier XP, second tier XP, fifth tier, tenth tier?

That was no help at all. Did you notice the “32” I mentioned? Have you not seen players who display “119” and such? How could I have maxed out all my masteries when I am trying to complete three of them, as I clearly stated.

“First tier XP, second tier XP, fifth tier,” What is this nonsense??? Have you been able to work on a fifth tier before you finished the second?
I fully expect that my next Mastery point will need more than 3,810,000 in achievements, but how much?

Again, perhaps perusing the Wiki article about Masteries, Mastery Lines, Mastery Line Tiers and Mastery Point accumulation would be of help. It seems you don’t understand how the whole process works.

Good luck.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

. . . Once you have maxed out your Mastery XP bars, you no longer earn Mastery XP. . . . .

Also, what amount of XP should the bar show? First tier XP, second tier XP, fifth tier, tenth tier?

That was no help at all. Did you notice the “32” I mentioned? Have you not seen players who display “119” and such? How could I have maxed out all my masteries when I am trying to complete three of them, as I clearly stated.

“First tier XP, second tier XP, fifth tier,” What is this nonsense??? Have you been able to work on a fifth tier before you finished the second?
I fully expect that my next Mastery point will need more than 3,810,000 in achievements, but how much?

Your masterys points require exactly 0 experience.

Again as others have pointed out, you do not GAIN mastery points by gaining experience. See this wiki for most of the achievement unlocks which grant masterie points:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Your experience bar shows the last selected mastery line and will fill up until full (experience after that will get added to a not selected mastery line of the same area [Tyria or Maguma], not track). Once you have sufficient mastery experience you can spend your mastery points (gained from achievements) to unlock the benefits of the mastery track you gather experience for. Again, all explained here:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery

Next time, do some simple wiki research first and when asking for help try not to get hostile. The expansion has been out for over 6 months now. It’s far more likely that you simply missunderstand the system than there being a bug in such a basic aspect of the expansion.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Posted by: Daidalos.2905

Daidalos.2905

I think he was stating that he didn’t understand your question . . . Randulf has provided a good explanation . . . I don’t think your belittling will help your cause.

Yes, Randulf gave a good try, and I have added details in reply to him.
As for belittling whatzizface, I’ll repeat, he insulted me first, implying that I don’t know the first things about finding solutions here.
And I care little about “my cause” as compared to educating the masses and reducing wasteful, useless chatter. As Samuel Clemens said, “Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.” If two or three people are struck with fear of receiving such a tirade before they post “ahdunno” again, good!
At least no kittens were harmed here.

Well I believe you need some thicker skin. I did not think he was insulting you at all. Your question was unclear. I still don’t know what your real question is. It seems you are not fully understanding how the mastery system works and therefore the reference material he and others have linked would be valid. Experience does not bleed over to the next tier of a mastery line until you unlock that tier via MPs. If all three tyrian mastery lines are currently filled then any experience you gain will be for naught until you unlock one with MPs. If you haven’t filled up experience in a line any you gain will be added to that.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

- A full mastery bar stays full until you spend points to unlock it and move to the next tier. . . . .

Yes, I have already spent points in the Commander (4 tiers done) and Fractals (1 tier complete) lines. I am working on the third tier of “Legendary”, with one point spent and five still needed. I might also want to change to the Fractals line, where I would need just one more point to complete the second tier, but it gives me no option to switch to that line either.

Hovering on the progress bar shows “3,810,000/3,810,000 experience”. It has been that way for at least two weeks. Don’t you think it would be nice to know how much more than that I have done in that time? I play at least an hour a day, often more than 3 hrs. During those two or more weeks I have killed many Champions, completed more than five Map Zones, as well as JPs, dungeons, a fractal and sundry Achievements.

WHY, ArenaNet, WHY does this progress bar not shift back to the left side and start refilling again the way that Every Other Progress Bar Does? In PvP, WvW, and <L80 PvE, (as well as most MMORPGs I kknow of) progress bars slowly fill with the ‘good’ color from left to right, and when the far right end is met, it goes ‘empty’ and starts filling again. Like the opposite of the fuel gauge in a vehicle.
What sense does it make that this progress bar gets stuck at the far right?

It might be worth showing screenshots, since what you are describing as I understand it, doesn’t make sense.

The 3,810,000 will stay there at the far right until you earn the points from other sources, then unlock it as you have done with other tiers.

You can switch to any other line at any time via the mastery menu, where it will default to the earliest tier you have reached.

If none of the above is applicable, I don’t know what advice can be given until seeing your UI for further clarification

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

From what I’m seeing, you are mastery level 32, and you need to click on the little mastery symbol at the end of the mastery line you were working on. (Press H – Masteries) Say, pick the line Pact Commander, on the right there should be a box with a certain number of mastery symbols. Straight down under it is for the next 2 mastery options. Need to click those to continue.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.