UGLY Launcher

UGLY Launcher

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jimmus.2083

Jimmus.2083

Come on, let us choose our own launcher images. The new purple raptor rider graphic is awful. It looks like it has a color palette of about 8 colors, maximum.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Tiresias.6473

Tiresias.6473

While I don’t necessarily disagree with you, I also don’t see them spending any development time on this issue.

Main character: Winter Harvest (Necromancer)
[BICE] Black Ice / Maguuma Server

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Serenity.6135

Serenity.6135

I am not crazy about the colors either, but I would rather they reduce the size because it is just too wide and goes past the edges of my screen. It gets annoying having to move it everytime.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

I am not crazy about the colors either, but I would rather they reduce the size because it is just too wide and goes past the edges of my screen. It gets annoying having to move it everytime.

How…. how? Is your screen like 200px wide?

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Ray Koopa.2354

Ray Koopa.2354

Nitpickers corner: It would be nice if they could at least crop the layered window to the space it actually requires. the taskbar thumbnail shows there’s a lot of unused space at the bottom. I guess it’s still the original game’s launcher size which actually used that bottom part, but it empty since HoT.

Maybe they still use it to make some lazy window centering calculation possible, but that’s kinda hacky.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Unfortunately in this era of 4K the minimum screen resolution is 1366×768 and in only a few short years that minimum resolution will become 1080p.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

I actually like it. But I’m a weird one.

Certified Gameaholic

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Midnight.7526

Midnight.7526

I like it too and I’m most assuredly not weird.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

Unfortunately in this era of 4K the minimum screen resolution is 1366×768 and in only a few short years that minimum resolution will become 1080p.

in my opinion 1080p is the average nowdays…..

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

in my opinion 1080p is the average nowdays…..

Surely for TVs and desktops, but 720p and x768 are still very common in cheaper HDTVs and portables such as laptops (mostly ultrabooks, now).

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Tiscan.8345

Tiscan.8345

Fun-Fact: the Launcher has a window-size of 1120*976 pixels and the image that is shown in it (the raptor, etc.) is roughly 1120*780 pixels big. So even on a screen with 1366×768 pixels it wouldn’t fit (especially if you take into account that the task-bar takes up the lower 40 pixels (on win 10)).

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Come on, let us choose our own launcher images. The new purple raptor rider graphic is awful. It looks like it has a color palette of about 8 colors, maximum.

OMG, YOU JUST SAID WHAT I WAS THINKING…
I mean, Excelsior.

You are so right. When I played DOS games on Win95 (“Dosbox”) and hit the windows key, the palette would screw up and it was all either bright lime-green or purple/pink and yellow/orange (and the game got stuck and the last note played from the soundcard sustained forever). I knew that particular colour composition from somewhere, and it really looks like some EGA game!

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

Come on, let us choose our own launcher images.

By doing this it would completely defeat the purpose of Anet presenting to us the next expac PoF through a thematic visual presentation.

Anet did the launcher the way it is in order to give its players a taste of what is to come in PoF.

Sorry to hear that you think it’s ugly but it’s highly unlikely that it will be changed as per your suggestion.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I don’t really understand the OP’s complaint. The original launcher was only black with a bit of red, the HoT launcher was only a few shades of green. This is the style of GW2 launchers. Looks perfectly fine to me.

Attachments:

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

Its not ugly, but the color is kind of to strong. The previous dark green was calming.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

It’s not perfect, but isn’t bad either, IMO. I think it isn’t relevant enough to waste time on it, really.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Have seen games in the past, example the Civilization series, that would let you select which opening page you would see when you started the game. Not sure how much priority I would put on this over other changes though. You really only do see it for the time it takes to enter you password after all, but I do appreciate where you are coming from since your brain will associate that as the branding aspect.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I also like it and don’t call me normal, I find that insulting

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I don’t care what it looks like, I only see it for a few seconds while logging in.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I don’t care what it looks like, I only see it for a few seconds while logging in.

^This.

Why is this even a concern? I don’t understand anyone wanting Anet to waste resources to change a launch screen you see for all of 5 or 6 seconds.

SMH

UGLY Launcher

AncientYs.8613

SMH

what does this mean?

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

https://youtu.be/ai2n4uKA9V8

I like it. I don’t get the complaint, the launcher looks a lot better than it used to. Feels like a straight upgrade in form and function.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Another non-issue, just press the play button and screen is gone

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

The launcher is the best by far.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I don’t really understand the OP’s complaint. The original launcher was only black with a bit of red, the HoT launcher was only a few shades of green. This is the style of GW2 launchers. Looks perfectly fine to me.

Same feeling here, I’m not opposed to the color palette theme for the new expansion. My only complaint is on the new character select (which we saw in both demo weekends), where I wish the background was a bit lighter to give a better contrast with the characters. I don’t know anything about colors or anything like that, so for me to suggest some arbitrary “20% lighter” would be meaningless.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: timkunedo.4392

timkunedo.4392

I love this new launcher way better than the old one.

UGLY Launcher

jheryn.8390

SMH

what does this mean?

Shake my head.

UGLY Launcher

AncientYs.8613

SMH

what does this mean?

Shake my head.

cool :> thanks ^^

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

think wut u wanted was something lik this?

https://i.redd.it/9c9a6vryffez.png

note, i just seen it, i’m not the maker

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Legendary Grenth.3561

Legendary Grenth.3561

You’re opinion is invalid, I like it. It’s only a launcher get off your high horse.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

Are there really that many people sitting around just looking at the launcher all day? Don’t people just open it then hit play straight away?

Even if there’s an update it’s still only on screen for max a couple of mins, and you don’t have to sit there looking at it, do other stuff on the PC while you wait.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: lmaogg.7325

lmaogg.7325

you gonna play the game or stare at the launcher? Move on and stop crying over nothing important.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

I guess they should have ran it by you first to get your approval, eh? Then when someone disagreed with your choice, what would you tell them?

UGLY Launcher

Djinn.9245

Its not ugly, but the color is kind of to strong. The previous dark green was calming.

Not like you have to look at it for a long time…

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

UGLY Launcher

Djinn.9245

I guess they should have ran it by you first to get your approval, eh? Then when someone disagreed with your choice, what would you tell them?

Yep, purple is one of my favorite colors

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

All you people want the devs to spend effort on the launcher, a screen you see 0.82274 seconds on average before you hit the play button?

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

honestly, that fits the PoF theme allot better and is calm to the eyes.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

We should have a premium login client for those that pre-purchased. It should have moving graphics like in a gif or whatever, and shimmer like gold foil or whatever.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

I like my launcher <3

Attachments:

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: dchsknight.3042

dchsknight.3042

You know that is the art style of the game right? low, vibrant colors in a water color style.

You know the style they have used for like since beta….

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

I don’t mind the appearance at all but it would be nice if it opened in the center of the screen. :P

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Holy kittens! That looks far more fitting a better.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Revan.2015

Revan.2015

The launcher image is much more fleshed out compared to the previous ones. It sounds like you are just not a fan of the color palette.

Personally I always liked GW2 art and the PoF launcher looks better then the previous ones.

My only gripe with it is its position when its launched. It sits vertically lower on the screen instead of center screen like the previous ones. Visually that part doesn’t feel right.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

Fully agree, it’s very ugly.

I don’t like the female norn (?) on a raptor for launcher, I don’t see what that has to do with the expansion theme. I don’t understand why it’s purple, too.

It should be a stylised version of Balthazar, and probably red. Just my 2c anyway….

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

I don’t like the female norn (?) on a raptor for launcher, I don’t see what that has to do with the expansion theme. I don’t understand why it’s purple, too.

It should be a stylised version of Balthazar, and probably red. Just my 2c anyway….

it’ll prob come out that lyssa is the real baddie not balth, thats why its all purp, but still don’t lik the looks of it either

UGLY Launcher

AncientYs.8613

it’ll prob come out that lyssa is the real baddie not balth, thats why its all purp, but still don’t lik the looks of it either

yeah it could porbably be that Lyssa is working behind the scenes pulling on balthazars strings to make him do her dirty work :>

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I don’t like that much the current launcher, but Balthazar in brownish…. ugh, that is UGLY for me.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Paralux.6714

Paralux.6714

It’s just a launcher. You look at it for maximum 20 secs before pressing “ready”. It can’t be that much of a bother.

m e s m e r <3

UGLY Launcher

jheryn.8390

I am sure the purple/pink color is due to the Brand from Kralk. We are going to be dealing with the dragon as well as Palawa Joko and Balthazar.

It makes complete sense. HoT – Green for mordy. Original black for Zhaitan.

UGLY Launcher

Posted by: Drecien.4508

Drecien.4508

How is it hitting the edges of your screen!? Do you have the zoom turned up on yours?

14 level 80s All races/professions
Server-Blackgate, are there others?
Some must fight, so that all may be free. —Amora Soulkeeper.