UI is terrible.

UI is terrible.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Beyond clunky and barely functional, it show things that dont really matter and neglects what actually does.

Take achievement completition display.

-It shows either tracked achievements or daily achievements, why?
-It shows tier % completition, when that means exactly 0 since achievements care about full completition.
-Still no stat overlay so i dont have to mouse over every piece of gear to see get the stats i want, this is a feature that every web browser build out there has, whats the hold up?.

Bottom line, for gods sake, take ui development away from Korea and start getting it together.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

UI is terrible.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well some achievements do reward achievement points for each tier.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

UI is terrible.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

There’s been a million complaints about the UI (for a reason) and a million suggestions about making it better, so I’m pretty sure Anet will make a major overhaul to that at some point. Just be patient.

To join the salty complainers; I honestly don’t understand why the UI wasn’t customizable in the first place. All we get is 2 different positions for the map and chat boxes, and a size adjustment. A more or less tweakable UI has been something considered self-evident in video games (MMOs especially) for years now, so I’m honestly curious why they decided to make it like that and still haven’t changed it.

UI is terrible.

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

There’s been a million complaints about the UI (for a reason) and a million suggestions about making it better, so I’m pretty sure Anet will make a major overhaul to that at some point. Just be patient.

To join the salty complainers; I honestly don’t understand why the UI wasn’t customizable in the first place. All we get is 2 different positions for the map and chat boxes, and a size adjustment. A more or less tweakable UI has been something considered self-evident in video games (MMOs especially) for years now, so I’m honestly curious why they decided to make it like that and still haven’t changed it.

The UI being non-customizable was a decision Anet made since they wanted people to “play the game not the UI”, so I guess that was one way they tried to make GW2 different. (I don’t have a source link but I’m sure it can still be found here on the forum for those inclined to find it.)

Personally I don’t mind the UI, but then again I’m not much for tweaking UI’s, I’ll learn to use it instead.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

UI is terrible.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I promised to always add my full support to UI threads.

UI customization would be one of the greatest things Anet could do for players.

Thank you for reading and have a nice day.

UI is terrible.

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

-Still no stat overlay so i dont have to mouse over every piece of gear to see get the stats i want, this is a feature that every web browser build out there has, whats the hold up?

Curious. What does this mean? I’ve never played an MMO that shows you the stats of equipment without mousing over it. Do you mean a symbol/icon that represents each stat set so we can see at a glance (once we remember what each icon means) which stats the item has? That would be helpful.

Anyway, overall I think the UI is okay but not great. Being able to adjust it ourselves would be fantastic (though not something I’d ever expect to see implemented). 100% agree with the ability to remove the achievement and story displays in the corner though. They are very unnecessary.

UI is terrible.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

The UI being non-customizable was a decision Anet made since they wanted people to “play the game not the UI”, so I guess that was one way they tried to make GW2 different. (I don’t have a source link but I’m sure it can still be found here on the forum for those inclined to find it.)

Personally I don’t mind the UI, but then again I’m not much for tweaking UI’s, I’ll learn to use it instead.

Here you go:

Allowing players to play the game rather than the UI is the third rule. This rule is responsible for the lovely and minimalistic UI, which is meant to convey as much information as necessary while staying more or less out of the way. Important combat information isn’t necessarily going to be relayed through the UI so much as through the game world.

Source

Ironic, considering the ubiquity of conditions and the necessity to constantly stare at the condi-bar.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

UI is terrible.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

It doesn’t work. I have to check UI all the time, and to remove at least the option to use it if you want is beyond reasonable. The UI is terrible and especially for harder content like raids we need a lot more customisable UI and additional slots for food, gizmos, transformations etc.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

UI is terrible.

Posted by: Keltan.1827

Keltan.1827

It seems like MMOs are going the way of less UI customization, not more. It’s initially cheaper, you can get the game launched a few months earlier- always important to your financiers.

More UI customization means do you design the game for people using the mods or people not using the mods? For example, consider WoW. Most people use a mod called Deadly Boss Mod (DBM). It can see which Boss the group is fighting and starts timers based on the skills it seems useful. It flashes a huge warning across the screen when the Boss is about to use a one shot spell. The players see and run for cover – hide behind a pillar or rush to the safe area, whatever the encounter requires. WoW would be a lot more difficult without DBM, and I suspect the designers assume everyone uses DBM (or something like it).

If devs block customization of the UI, that relieves them of guessing what UI mods the players might be using. It’s all vanilla.

UI is terrible.

Posted by: preacher.9370

preacher.9370

This doesn’t go along with the other UI complaints in this thread, but it is a UI complaint, so I’ll put it here: Revert the changes to right clicking for party/squad options! You can’t leave a party anymore just by right clicking and selecting “leave party” anymore, have to type /leave, and for squads you can’t just right click any squad member icon to leave, have to click on YOUR icon.

UI is terrible.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I’ll add my agreement that GW2’s UI as it stands is terrible, and I’ll add a unique perspective.

I took a 2 year break from the game and returned recently. When I came back, I found the UI utterly nonsensical and unusable. Necessary functions were buried under submenu after submenu. I had to ask someone how I change my equipment now – it used to be obvious – now it’s buried under a lot of tabs, and it’s easily confusable with options like “outfits”. I accidentally applied a new skin I acquired (I think for my character birthday), instead of adding it to my wardrobe, and undoing that was a nightmare. Where are dailies, exactly? You have to click at least three different menus to see them.

Again, thankfully, folks were around who could walk me through the steps. But if I were new and jumped to level 80 like the game is encouraging folks to do now – I wouldn’t have a kitten idea what to do.

The UI needs to be fixed – it’s actively hurting the game right now.

UI is terrible.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

I don’t agree that the UI is terrible. I think it effectively conveys the information Anet wants to convey through the UI. A lot of other information, such as condis, boons, damage and crit info is conveyed through the world itself via the text and numbers over your target (or above your own character) when in combat.

That said, I would absolutely love it if Anet would allow us the same UI customization options that we had in GW1. That system was, in my opinion, perfect. It allowed players who wanted a minimalist UI to remove many of the on-screen windows, and players who wanted as much information as possible to arrange their UI in a way they liked.

This would be great, but I really doubt that we will see a drastic overhaul to it this far into the game’s release, especially considering they dropped the customizable UI intentionally.

UI is terrible.

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

Here you go:

Allowing players to play the game rather than the UI is the third rule. This rule is responsible for the lovely and minimalistic UI, which is meant to convey as much information as necessary while staying more or less out of the way. Important combat information isn’t necessarily going to be relayed through the UI so much as through the game world.

Source

Ironic, considering the ubiquity of conditions and the necessity to constantly stare at the condi-bar.

That source is a joke ! Minimalistic UI ? Just have a look at ESO vanillia UI, and you’ll know what “minimalistic” means. That doesn’t prevent ESO to have mods that allow you to have more information and bars should you need them.

And you’re terribly true about conditions that need a constant check, and the tiny icons that makes me say : “what’s that new effect on me ?”…

UI is terrible.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

That said, I would absolutely love it if Anet would allow us the same UI customization options that we had in GW1. That system was, in my opinion, perfect. It allowed players who wanted a minimalist UI to remove many of the on-screen windows, and players who wanted as much information as possible to arrange their UI in a way they liked.

Could not agree more.

UI is terrible.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I speculate there is no customization because IMO, it’s a luxury, and I doubt Anet has the resources right now to implement luxury features. It’s certainly not terrible in its present state though.

UI is terrible.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

The UI in this game is visually very attractive, at least to me because I love and utilize splatter art a lot, so it’s matching my flavour.

The menus are simple enough to understand and not much different from other games.

The only thing I want to be changed is the HUD. The health orb for example… I’d like to have a simple bar, maybe even the same brush style bar the game uses right now. When I turn off the HUD I have the red screen borders to show my current health situation and the other stuff (cd/initiative e.g.) is something I have either in the feeling or it does not work at all. Pretty simple. But right now I have no real choice…

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

UI is terrible.

Posted by: schlake.2718

schlake.2718

I, for one, like the UI. When I used to play WoW I did almost nothing to the UI. And on patch day, I could still play the game because the UI wasn’t broken! Every day that I log in, the UI still works, and I like that about it.