UW weps on land for variety please.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aretak.3826

Aretak.3826

This has come up in the past across many threads and I feel it’s more elevant than ever. It is a simple solution to the lack of build/weapon and utilises some fairly redundant content; UW weapons are so limited to their use when they could provide so much more for their class. Necro spear functions similar to a GS and provides a power cleaving weapon, Mesmer spear could also provide a proper full cleave weapon, Harpoon Gun on Engi has some interesting mechanics that could provide an AoE base weapon, all those Ele trident skills we barely get to see.

There would need to be a fair amount of adjustments of course due to targeting and physics, Engi’s Harpoon Gun could function more like an explosives launcher for example. This would be easier done than say coding existing weapons as they already exist and are useable. I’d also be fine if this were PvE only at first (much like some runes and sigils) to avoid balance issues that might arise.

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

Whilst I think this idea is way to impractical to ever be implemented – and would leave uw combat in a rather unfortunate spot – I would give anything for a spear guard, so i’m down

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

You forget that balance issues would be present even in pve, since land mobs work differently than water mobs, and water skills are designed to work in water.

Also porting them on land would require a rework of all the animations for the skills, and in the end it’s not like those skills are unique, since they are simply a slight variation of land skills.

Posted by: Aretak.3826

Aretak.3826

You forget that balance issues would be present even in pve, since land mobs work differently than water mobs, and water skills are designed to work in water.

Also porting them on land would require a rework of all the animations for the skills, and in the end it’s not like those skills are unique, since they are simply a slight variation of land skills.

Firstly, the majority of UW mobs are ‘amphibious’ in that work exactly as they do on land (Krait, Icebrood, Skale, bandits, Inquest, undead), the only unique mechanic of underwater is the extra axis. There is no balance issue. Secondly you just recognised a lot of skills are variants of land skills and this is why it would be just a matter of tweaking animations. The main point of this is that some professions gain access to these types of skills that they otherwise lack, such as a proper 2handed melee power-based weapon for Necro/Mes or AoE base weapon for Engi.

Really all it comes down to is targeting adjustments and animations, in my opinion it’s worth the resources more so than whatever content comes with the Living Story.

Posted by: Castrin.8972

Castrin.8972

… in my opinion it’s worth the resources more so than whatever content comes with the Living Story.

Then thank goodness it’s just your opinion.

I was somewhat with you till you said this. Dropping LS development to add different ways to kill the same mobs is just … well the thought process boggles the mind really.

Peace.

Grandmaster
Order of the Empyrean Shield [OES]