Unachieved Hero Point icon is too hard to see

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ahratan.1098

Ahratan.1098

When levelling an alt, I noticed that I was running past a lot of hero points and kept having to go back to them – I just don’t see the icon on the minimap. It doesn’t stand out at all.

Examples:
http://i.imgur.com/zM0KW36.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/G0ydNUh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7JFvSND.jpg

(edited by Ahratan.1098)

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

Actually, yeah. Very this.

+1

Posted by: Apceroz.7964

Apceroz.7964

I think I prefer the old blue skill point icons.

If you can’t find anything on a specific map for map completion, you can always visit http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com

I use this to quickly identify and pinpoint stuff I have missed in any map.

I am Eredon Terrace.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Yah, I noticed this right away when they introduced them. Especially in maps that are mostly brown like Dry Top / Silverwastes. I actually ran right past the skill point inside of the Vinewrath cave half a dozen times on one of my characters who didn’t have said skill point before I even realized I didn’t have it yet.

Honestly don’t know why they changed the old symbol. Yah, the old symbol was for skill points, but since skill points no longer exist… I dunno, may as well just use it, far as I’m concerned.

It certainly stood out WAY better than the current icon. At the very least, if you don’t revert to the old icon, make it a different color. Something that stands out more than dull brown.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I miss them all the time. They blend in so well I end up doing so many back and forths. I miss the old blue ones. :C

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

At least one is bugged and is literally invisible from above. It’s a Hero Challenge in the Fields of Ruin inside a Harpy nest. You have to get right beside it before you can see it in the nest and it doesn’t become visible after you do it either.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Mirai Okumori.6205

Mirai Okumori.6205

If you set the content guide options to “Hide Events and Personal Story” it should lead you to all the map completion stuff.

That being said, the new icon is rather difficult to see.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I also find the current color does not lend itself to visibility. Tan/brown blend into the landscape too well. What would have been wrong about the blue color? Were they afraid players wouldn’t get they were different? If not blue, then how about commander tag purple? Those stand out…

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Short of making them transparent with pale, thin outer lines, they couldn’t have made them more difficult to see than they are now.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Maybe they can give it a periodic shimmer on the mini map similar to what you see when you hover the cursor over the icon on the full map.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe they can give it a periodic shimmer on the mini map similar to what you see when you hover the cursor over the icon on the full map.

Or maybe they could recolor them to something that stands out from the background, like blue.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I actually can’t even find the icons in the 3 pictures in the OP.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to change the icons from their previous noticeable blue arrow icon to this where it’s barely visible at all?

Posted by: Scratcherclaw.2713

Scratcherclaw.2713

This is weird to me, since I’m able to see the icons all perfectly fine in the minimap. I don’t know if it’d be something to do with graphic options or what, but they stick out fine for me. But if some people are experiencing what you are, then yeah, that definitely needs to be fixed.

Attachments:

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

you can just highlight hero challenge with the mouse is causes all the ones not done to sparkle or glow or what ever it is that is does.
also what area is that?

Just a flesh wound.3589

you can just highlight hero challenge with the mouse is causes all the ones not done to sparkle or glow or what ever it is that is does.
also what area is that?

That’s Metrica Province.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

It’s been posted before, but I’ll join the chant again. We need Hero Point icons that actually stand out. Not all of us have incredibly amazing 20/20 eyesight.

If I hadn’t finished world completion a few times before they brought in Hero Points I would have no clue where half of them are. That bright Cyan colour was the right colour. Whoever thought of making it brown should be hung, drawn and quartered.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

TJgalon.5012

I wonder if it a option that i do not have selected, or do. cause they seem to stand out a lot to me.

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

The perverse thing is, once you complete the skill challenge (I’m sorry, hero point), it becomes this bright gold color which stands out pretty well. In other words, the thing you have no need to do again is easier to see than the thing that you need to do.

This is weird to me, since I’m able to see the icons all perfectly fine in the minimap.

You’re at a higher zoom level on the minimap. A lot of us prefer the lowest zoom level which still shows features, so we can spot resource nodes. At that zoom level, the edges of the incomplete hero point (or heart) icon are too thin and easily blend with the background clutter.

(edited by Solandri.9640)

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I actually can’t even find the icons in the 3 pictures in the OP.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to change the icons from their previous noticeable blue arrow icon to this where it’s barely visible at all?

Perhaps someone who enjoyed “Where’s Waldo” books as a child. At least that’s what I feel I’m playing when I uncover maps. xD

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

ANet’s UI design in GW2 was always a bit poor (a bit! lol) but the hero point change was just unbelievable, they made the UI much worse. Updates are supposed to make things better but GW2 UI is now somewhat of a joke. From invisible elements to OTT particle effects, lack of configuration to RSI inducing double-clickness everywhere. ANet UI really needs a big overhaul. The playerbase has been complaining about all these bad UI elements since launch and things just keep getting worse.

TJgalon.5012

The perverse thing is, once you complete the skill challenge (I’m sorry, hero point), it becomes this bright gold color which stands out pretty well. In other words, the thing you have no need to do again is easier to see than the thing that you need to do.

This is weird to me, since I’m able to see the icons all perfectly fine in the minimap.

You’re at a higher zoom level on the minimap. A lot of us prefer the lowest zoom level which still shows features, so we can spot resource nodes. At that zoom level, the edges of the incomplete hero point (or heart) icon are too thin and easily blend with the background clutter.

higher you mean more zoom out, yes, cause I always leave mine zoom in as far as it can go, and never noticed a issue.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Already was an earlier thread about this. Agree with it. Old ones were better (smaller but draw more attention, exactly what a mini map icon should be).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

I think I prefer the old blue skill point icons.

I really miss the big huge BLUE CHEVRONS that were incredibly easy to find on the map.

With the new icon, I’ve walked past tons of points simply because I couldn’t tell it wasn’t:

• sand
  • a mountain
  • trees?
  • maybe just something on the map

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

Agree 100% with the OP. I had problems seeing them on several maps.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ll join in the request for a return to the blue color (current icon is fine, just blends in due to the color). But color demands seem least likely to ever be heard by ANet.

/quietly weeps over grey emote text

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I agree, the hero point icons are extremely hard to see. Even more so when zoomed out! I think they need to be larger, and at the very least, have some sort of outer glow on the icons or SOMETHING to make them noticeable.

Edit: Or like others have said, revert it to the pointy blue chevron icons they used to be.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I feel like I’m playing where’s Wally with those pictures. I couldn’t find him on the third one.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I quite agree. The old ‘skill point’ blue chevron was much easier to discern on the maps. I wish they would go back to some brighter coloration.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Yeah, I’ve found the hero points on the three screenshots with some searching. I can understand why they wanted to change the icon when they changed the system (it’s a good idea to visually indicate that the system has changed) but I much prefer the old skill point icons to these new ones.

The “little man” in the middle of the new icon is the problem here, I think. If it was a solid block of colour it’d probably be OK. Even a thicker border would probably do but I’d much prefer blue to yellow as yellow tends to blends into the background a lot more than blue.

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

Yes those are quite hard to see actually. It was a bit difficult to complete a few maps while I played my new sylvari alt since I had to run to some places twice.

@OP I took your screenshots and did a little photoshop on them to give the hero points the blue color again, don’t know if its the same they previously used for skill points though. That way the problem should be solved.

Attachments:

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Agreed. Everytime this topic comes up I will agree. I dislike the color of the new icon.

Just a flesh wound.3589

This sort of thing makes me wonder about the quality of quality control or the amount that feedback is listened to.

They make a mini Tybalt with a female Charr tail. The artist never notices? The person that checks the art work never notices? It goes (presumably) to a general meeting of people who vet the products that are going into the game. No one notices? It gets sent to the people who put it in the game. No one notices? And then of course the bug reports come in and after being in the game all this time, he still has a female tail.

And with these icons. Someone or a committee came up with the idea of putting brown icons on top of a brown/green background and no one noticed they were hard to see during any of the quality checks?

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I think the new icon looks nicer which is what the artists went for. But the visibility is indeed alot worse than the bright blue old ones. The small photoshop above by ShelBlackblood already increases visibility drastically. Sometimes UI usability should come above ‘making it look pretty’. I think this is a good example where the artist intentions were good but it just didn’t work out so well in practise.

Posted by: FOX.3582

FOX.3582

+1

First of all… I like this game freaking much!
But this is something a development team should be truly ashamed of… You literally can not see a huge amount of the skill points/challenges since that patch. If it was my choice I would make it pink. They should have made it a better color yesterday!

What does the FOX say¿!

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

No need to spend time re-evaluating or developing anything new. Just put the old icons back or change the color of the new one to that same blue.

Posted by: roperratt.6917

roperratt.6917

If your color-blind, its worse. They might as well be invisible.

IGN: Roper the Ratt, Mithril Knight, Sophie the Golden, (TTS), (DTtD), (KCCO), (BANA)
Fort Aspenwood

Just a flesh wound.3589

If your color-blind, its worse. They might as well be invisible.

I’m pretty sure it was mentioned they have color blind staffers. Since there have been numerous posts about the problems that color blind people have, including one that Gayle posted on, you would think that they could have a policy of running new icons or skill effects by their color blind staffers for a quick check.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Where’s Waldo: Hero Point Edition

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Yea, I definitely think the old ones were more notable on the map.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

I agree, i cant even see the icons on the pics you have added. Maybe im partly colorblind? :S