Unblockable vs Blocking/Reflecting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

Currently in the game very profession has some access to being able to negate incoming attacks meaning everyone can get access to it if they desire. This also mean we see a fair amount of it out in PvP, WvW, and even PvE. I don’t think the problem is how much access we have to these abilities rather I believe we need a bit more access to the ‘counter’ of these.

There are ways to make base abilities unblockable and this is fine giving a few ways to get past the block/reflect. This is fine but is somewhat limited and doesn’t require ‘active’ play other than making sure you are using your unblockable ability when the enemy is blocking.

When it comes to empowering yourself there is only 1 ability in the game that allows you to become unblockable temporally (maybe another with revenant not sure). From the wiki, “Unblockable is also an effect, currently only available from Signet of Might, making attacks for the duration unblockable.” Why isn’t this more readily available for classes to use?

There are still a good amount of access to abilities that will still prevent the player from getting attacked if there opponent is unblockable so it won’t make it impossible to block a burst.

Thoughts on this matter? Should there be more access to the unblockable effect? If so should it be a boon?

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

There is also a Necro/Reaper shout that grants a base unblockable effect that scales in duration based on the number of targets your shout hits, up to 5. Base Necro also has access to a lot of skills that are unblockable.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Revenant doesn’t strictly have an unblockable effect, but it has an effect for counterplaying blocks. It has a trait that causes your next attack after being blocked to inflict 50% more damage.

So, use a basic attack to trigger the block, then follow it up with your most powerful attack and it’ll probably do more damage than if no block had occurred.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Revenant doesn’t strictly have an unblockable effect,

You forgot malicious reprisal in Devastation (unless this is getting changed and I forgot), which makes attacks unblockable for 5s after getting blocked (30s cooldown)

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

Unblockable shouldn’t be a thing to begin with, except for a few select skills. Imagine being a guardian and you basically can’t pick your best heal because everyone has a way to interrupt it, causing full cd.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

You forgot malicious reprisal in Devastation (unless this is getting changed and I forgot), which makes attacks unblockable for 5s after getting blocked (30s cooldown)

And the shadowstep skill in Shiro stance that makes your attacks unblockable after using it for few seconds.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

Unblockable shouldn’t be a thing to begin with, except for a few select skills. Imagine being a guardian and you basically can’t pick your best heal because everyone has a way to interrupt it, causing full cd.

yea man, this is not good game design in my opinion. blockable to negate attack is straight forward, but when unblockable stuff get added, it becomes complicated and contrived.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Revenant doesn’t strictly have an unblockable effect, but it has an effect for counterplaying blocks. It has a trait that causes your next attack after being blocked to inflict 50% more damage.

So, use a basic attack to trigger the block, then follow it up with your most powerful attack and it’ll probably do more damage than if no block had occurred.

So not only do they counter thieves with reveal but warriors too…great -_-

Revenant might even be Death Knight at WotLK launch broken tier. When you see two rogues and a priest fail to bring someone down you know they’re OP.

Misguided.5139

And the shadowstep skill in Shiro stance that makes your attacks unblockable after using it for few seconds.

Thanks, I knew I was forgetting something!

Misguided.5139

Revenant might even be Death Knight at WotLK launch broken tier. When you see two rogues and a priest fail to bring someone down you know they’re OP.

It isn’t going to be that way once people figure out how to fight them. Keep in mind that once you learn what the legends are, you will know exactly what skills they have. Also, the most popular build is going to be Shiro/glint, which has virtually no way to deal with conditions. Finally, the skill people are complaining about the most in pvp falls off dramatically when facing multiple opponents. Don’t 1v1 a sword Revenant and they won’t be nearly so scary.

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

That is the problem though. Why is this one gardian spell the ‘best’ heal and almost always chosen. Because of the heal amount, because of the cast time, no most likely because it has a block to it. The cooldown for unblockable would be higher cooldown then blocks so you couldn’t go through every one but some times having the ability to even get one attack though in important fights can add huge more levels of skilled play rather than oh they are blocking let me just afk for a few seconds. Also as I have stated most classes have vulnerabilities that they can use if they need to ensure they don’t take damage to prevent a telegraphed burst.

Basically what I’m saying is there is no real option for many classes to play against block, reflect, and destruction (for projectiles only). You just stop attacking for the duration and wait, not the most exciting combat in my opinion.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

Posted by: raven.9870

raven.9870

actually warrior can be unblocable for 6 sec up to 12 with traits and signet of mastery,of course this options it limit a bit his survibility by te time that any warrior in pvp run berserker stance defy pain and berserker stance as utility, you can actually be unblockable with a simple trigger on arms. pretty useful.

Victory at any cost