Uncap magic find?

Uncap magic find?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ShoknAwe.1602

ShoknAwe.1602

I’d like to see base Magic Find to be able to be pushed beyond 300%, just keep the luck requirements increasing.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

If the Skinner Box breaks, then there will be pandemonium!

~EW

Uncap magic find?

ShoknAwe.1602

mmm i think skinner box is gems and trading post, magic find would give LwS3 players something to do while they wait

(edited by ShoknAwe.1602)

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

They really should remove the cap. You’d have to get to 100,000% before it had any real impact.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

I suspect that would push the boundaries of pay to win, since you can basically buy luck.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Why not, it doesn’t actually affect anything anyhow and removing the cap will give people something to grind at.

Uncap magic find?

ShoknAwe.1602

Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive support! It would definitely be something to grind and yes it’s impact is so minuscule that someone buying luck would be wasting their money so I don’t think there’s any fear of that

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Vidal.4306

Vidal.4306

That actually is a really interesting idea. The level requirements would basically guarantee that no one would get a dramatic increase over anyone else, but it would be a great grind for people who want to compete with stats. Good idea.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Magic find is an economic stat. The ramifications of uncapping it could be pretty severe.

Uncap magic find?

Neural.1824

Magic find is an economic stat. The ramifications of uncapping it could be pretty severe.

I have one account with 250% MF plus food and an amulet, and I have one account with roughly 50% MF that I don’t bother using food on.

The difference is not even noticeable. They both get the same number of greens, yellows, etc.

The impact on the economy would be next to nothing, and only people who grind out an insane amount of MF will see any measurable results.

Uncap magic find?

DGraves.3720

I have one account with 250% MF plus food and an amulet, and I have one account with roughly 50% MF that I don’t bother using food on.

The difference is not even noticeable. They both get the same number of greens, yellows, etc.

The impact on the economy would be next to nothing, and only people who grind out an insane amount of MF will see any measurable results.

You mean, the rich? You can buy magic find by salvaging for it. As it is a self-feeding system at some point (no idea where) you will receive direct returns. It’s like any other real investment.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Not really. It’s predominantly for killing mobs and opening chests in one map, maybe PvP.

The last time I got an exotic from killing a mob was… was…. I don’t even remember when was the last time. imo it mostly increases the chance of gear from a lower rank to higher, such as from blue to green.

I think they should uncap it. (I have about 205% magic find).

Edit: corrected MF %

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Uncap magic find?

DGraves.3720

Not really. It’s predominantly for killing mobs and opening chests in one map, maybe PvP.

The last time I got an exotic from killing a mob was… was…. I don’t even remember when was the last time. imo it mostly promotes gear from one rank to another, such as from blue to green.

Well let’s say hypothetically there is a 1% chance for an exotic. 500 magic find would raise this to 5%. For rare items, esp. when killing hordes and droves of enemies in events, that’s very, very high. With it uncapped you could buy your way to pretty extreme levels pretty quickly with a little cash saved from doing nothing with it / having nothing to buy …

I like this idea now. I support!

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Considering .0001% x 800% is .0008%, I doubt we’ll be making a dent in anything important. I’m all for uncapping MF. Only got about +150% anyway, and I don’t get doink for nothing in drops anyway.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Uncap magic find?

Just a flesh wound.3589

The last time I got an exotic from killing a mob was… was…. I don’t even remember when was the last time. imo it mostly promotes gear from one rank to another, such as from blue to green.

Well let’s say hypothetically there is a 1% chance for an exotic. 500 magic find would raise this to 5%. For rare items, esp. when killing hordes and droves of enemies in events, that’s very, very high. With it uncapped you could buy your way to pretty extreme levels pretty quickly with a little cash saved from doing nothing with it / having nothing to buy …

I don’t think it’s anywhere near 1% chance for an exotic. I’m admittedly shaky on math, but wouldn’t that mean that on average every 100 mobs would give you an exotic if it was a 1% chance? I’ve certainly never gotten an average of one exotic every 100 mobs killed. I don’t think I get one every 100 days of mob killing. My guess is it’s more 0.00001% chance and 500% gets you 0.00005% chance of an exotic. imo, the drop tables are set that the chances of good drops are so low that uncapping magic find will have little effect, unless it reaches crazy high levels in the millions.

ANet may give it to you.

Uncap magic find?

DGraves.3720

I don’t think it’s anywhere near 1% chance for an exotic. I’m admittedly shaky on math, but wouldn’t that mean that on average every 100 mobs would give you an exotic if it was a 1% chance? I’ve certainly never gotten an average of one exotic every 100 mobs killed. I don’t think I get one every 100 days of mob killing. My guess is it’s more 0.00001% chance and 500% gets you 0.00005% chance of an exotic. imo, the drop tables are set that the chances of good drops are so low that uncapping magic find will have little effect, unless it reaches crazy high levels in the millions.

Odds are a funny thing. You know how you roll 2 six-sided die and if you are looking for 12 you can just say “one sixth times one sixth!” or (1/6)^2? The same is true with other things. Let’s say you’ve a 1% chance.

(1-.01)^10 will give you the odds of not getting an exotic out of 10 drops that could be exotic. About 90%.

(1-.01)^100 says 36% chance still of you not getting an exotic.

The rough part is that it is actually three probabilities put together, you don’t always get drops from kills and when you do you don’t always get gear or items that can drop gear, so if you had a 50% chance to get an “item” and a 33% chance that this item was “gear” then you’d still have a 36% chance of that gear not being “exotic”.

It doesn’t have to be really rare in the loot table at all.

Sorry to bore you with math.

Uncap magic find?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Odds are a funny thing. You know how you roll 2 six-sided die and if you are looking for 12 you can just say “one sixth times one sixth!” or (1/6)^2? The same is true with other things. Let’s say you’ve a 1% chance.

(1-.01)^10 will give you the odds of not getting an exotic out of 10 drops that could be exotic. About 90%.

(1-.01)^100 says 36% chance still of you not getting an exotic.

The rough part is that it is actually three probabilities put together, you don’t always get drops from kills and when you do you don’t always get gear or items that can drop gear, so if you had a 50% chance to get an “item” and a 33% chance that this item was “gear” then you’d still have a 36% chance of that gear not being “exotic”.

It doesn’t have to be really rare in the loot table at all.

Sorry to bore you with math.

Nice. Lots of numbers.
/shrug.

I still say, let’s uncap it so my average gains of zero exotics by mob kills every month can by increased to…. zero?

ANet may give it to you.

Uncap magic find?

DGraves.3720

Nice lots of numbers.
/shrug.

I still say, let’s uncap it so my average gains of zero exotics by mob kills every month can by increased to…. zero?

But what about the “lucky” players?

Uncap magic find?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Nice lots of numbers.
/shrug.

What about them? I doubt they are nearly as common as you seem to fear or any sort of problem at all. Here are some quotes for you.

Every account has the exact same chance on RNG.

Here’s the premise. RNG is evenly distributed on aggregate. On an individual level this means that while almost everyone falls into a reasonable range in the middle, there are outliers on each side of the distribution that are either highly rewarded or not rewarded at all. These individuals become sample cases and spotlights for experiences that maybe shouldn’t exist.

There isn’t such thing is some accounts getting stuck lucky. Yes there’s an RNG, yes it’s random and there are streaks and outliers and an even aggregate distribution.

Can you confirm whether it is an RNG that uses some sort of value from the user’s account or whether it is purely random/session based? I have a friend who swears that smack-talking an anet dev during a beta weekend pvp match doomed his account to poor rng for life.

Absolutely it does not use anything to do with a user.

ANet may give it to you.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

If you recorded the results from your two accounts over time there would be a noticeable difference.
I would rather not take your word for it’s impact on the economy over the long term.
I would also like to ask why should we reward players for grinding an insane amount of MF.
There is absolutely no reason to change MF.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: DeadSurvivor.6157

DeadSurvivor.6157

No reason not to uncap Magic Find in my honest opinion.

Guild Wars 2 News & Links
Guilds: [AoL]
( Swindle Rogue )

Uncap magic find?

DGraves.3720

Nice lots of numbers.
/shrug.

What about them? I doubt they are nearly as common as you seem to fear or any sort of problem at all. Here are some quotes for you.

Every account has the exact same chance on RNG.

Here’s the premise. RNG is evenly distributed on aggregate. On an individual level this means that while almost everyone falls into a reasonable range in the middle, there are outliers on each side of the distribution that are either highly rewarded or not rewarded at all. These individuals become sample cases and spotlights for experiences that maybe shouldn’t exist.

There isn’t such thing is some accounts getting stuck lucky. Yes there’s an RNG, yes it’s random and there are streaks and outliers and an even aggregate distribution.

Can you confirm whether it is an RNG that uses some sort of value from the user’s account or whether it is purely random/session based? I have a friend who swears that smack-talking an anet dev during a beta weekend pvp match doomed his account to poor rng for life.

Absolutely it does not use anything to do with a user.

I was kidding.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: FlashAhAhh.4307

FlashAhAhh.4307

I was kidding.

I literally LOL’d when I saw your first post. You do know you’ ve probably killed this thread!

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

There is absolutely no reason to change MF.

Rytlock wants it changed. I think that’s reason enough.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: orenwolf.1953

orenwolf.1953

Magic find changes which encounter table is used to roll rewards. It does not increase the chance of getting a particular item on that encounter table.

In other words, if there are two tables, one with one exotic per 1000, and one with two per 1000, magic find increase the chance that your loot roll will come from table two instead of one. This increases your overall chance of an exotic, but doesn’t actually change your roll on that table.

Champ bags aren’t included in MF because they already use a higher table than mob drops by default (in essence, they already have MF baked-in).

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Magic find changes which encounter table is used to roll rewards. It does not increase the chance of getting a particular item on that encounter table.

In other words, if there are two tables, one with one exotic per 1000, and one with two per 1000, magic find increase the chance that your loot roll will come from table two instead of one. This increases your overall chance of an exotic, but doesn’t actually change your roll on that table.

Champ bags aren’t included in MF because they already use a higher table than mob drops by default (in essence, they already have MF baked-in).

THANK you! It’s really unbelievable how the other people in this thread after over 3.5 years still have NO idea how magic find works….

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’d like to see base Magic Find to be able to be pushed beyond 300%, just keep the luck requirements increasing.

Caps like this are in place deliberately so people don’t feel they have to grind. Plus, I’m sure there are economic reasons as well.

I don’t really see any need to break the current cap, although I do think ANet ought to provide more uses for luck, XP, and any other ‘currency’ they decide to cap.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Uncap magic find?

ShoknAwe.1602

thanks for the discussion everyone, either way, i hope they unlock it

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I like this idea. And if need be just create a system with diminishing returns. Maybe increase the requirement by 10K per 10%. Example:

Luck % Requirement Per 1% Level
300 – 310 10,000
310 – 320 20,000
320 – 330 30,000
330 – 340 40,000
350 – 360 50,000
400 – 410 100,000
410 – 420 110,000
500 – 510 200,000
510 – 520 210,000
This allows people to continue to progress, acts as a sink for items and essences of luck, and if someone wants to grind they can but it will be costly. Sometimes its about the journey and not the destination.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Uncap magic find?

DGraves.3720

The thing missed here is that the rewards overall are continuously compounding. The more MF you have the more rare the items you get, the more rare the items you get the more MF you produce from salvaging that item and it’s ectos as a result, the more you ectos you have produced the lower the price overall of MF and in the end there actually becomes an MF standard for playing because there is indeed a specific amount of MF, unkown to us, that allows you to reliably acquire items of sufficient rarity to continue the cycle.

It is basically economic suicide.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

The thing missed here is that the rewards overall are continuously compounding. The more MF you have the more rare the items you get, the more rare the items you get the more MF you produce from salvaging that item and it’s ectos as a result, the more you ectos you have produced the lower the price overall of MF and in the end there actually becomes an MF standard for playing because there is indeed a specific amount of MF, unkown to us, that allows you to reliably acquire items of sufficient rarity to continue the cycle.

If you’re worried about the economy, just give me all your exotic and rare drops – I’ll find a good use for them. nods

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Blah, MF! Its taken 3 years to get 175% and I salvage pracrically everything.

Just bring back those 3 attributes they took away long ago, charm, something and something. That was a fun little grind. Why’d that go away again?

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Uncap magic find?

DGraves.3720

If you’re worried about the economy, just give me all your exotic and rare drops – I’ll find a good use for them. nods

Not so much the economy as what the economy effects.

Games with lopsided economies tend to have greater elitism.

Uncap magic find?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Salvagesalvagesalvagesalvagesalvagesalvagesalvage….(3 Years later)…. salvagesalvagesalvageSALVAGESALVAGE(Lunar Holliday)salvagesalvagesalvagesalvage

Not 300% yet. Where’s my MF of Mass Destruction that was promised to me. For that matter, where are those exotic drops?

ANet may give it to you.

Uncap magic find?

Neural.1824

Do please show me where all those rares and exotics are that I’m supposed to be getting. I’ve been salvaging over 100 items per day for nearly a year and I’m still only at 245%MF. I see rares no more often than my account with 75% MF sees them.

MF does not have remotely the effect that you think it does.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I have 314% Base MF ( 300 from luck and 14 from APs ) with boosters I can easily get this upwards of near 500% and I can tell you that either my account is tagged as unlucky or the system is broken, espically when friends who don’t believe in MF and only run around 100% are yielding more rares / exotics than me,

I stated along time ago that MF should be uncapped, those who don’t want it, can make a fortune selling the items on the TP, those who want it, will spend gold to get it, it all balances out.

The last 75 levels or so, require 30,000 luck per level, I would suggest that,

301-350 – 45,000 per level
351-400 – 50,000 per level
401-450 – 55,000 per level
451-500 – 60,000 per level
501+ 60,000 per level

This would slow it down, but not make it impossible, maybe a new soft cap of say 750-1000% should be new cap,

Im also all for a dynamic cap, where each month is raises by say 20% a month going forward.

It would be great to get Anet input on this, or are we going to be forced to move this topic to reddit to get it acknowledged….

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

It already has diminishing returns because Magic find basically does nothing.

Uncap magic find?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Not so much the economy as what the economy effects.

Games with lopsided economies tend to have greater elitism.

You are aware that ANet can change the rules whenever they want? If MF were to get so high that it starts to distort the economy then all they have to do is make the events main rewards come from containers that are not effected by MF. Like all the event rewards now that come in those loot bags and the event mobs that don’t drop loot.

ANet may give it to you.

Uncap magic find?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Do please show me where all those rares and exotics are that I’m supposed to be getting. I’ve been salvaging over 100 items per day for nearly a year and I’m still only at 245%MF. I see rares no more often than my account with 75% MF sees them.

Without showing us numbers, I’m not even sure what effect you are seeing. It is likely that, over any short period of time, a low-MF account can get more rares than a high-MF one. What matters is what they get over the long run relative to how many loot-bearing foes that they kill.

The long run, for nearly all games, is over 100s of drops. Even with something as simplistic as salvaging rares for ectos (which is not affected by MF), you can see substantial differences with only 20-30 drops compared. I’ve counted runs of 30 salvages where I got much better-than-average for armor and much worse for weapons (and later, the opposite).

So DGraves is correct in principle: over the long run, having 300% MF is a strong benefit in and of itself. Thus, in my opinion, there’s no need to raise the cap.

(Although, again, I would ask that ANet offer other uses for luck , as well as something for every ‘currency’ that currently gets capped, including XP after maxing masteries.)

Uncap magic find?

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Personally, I’d rather see a menu or bag menu option to “Auto consume all luck” while I’m working my way up to 300%.

Come on, anet. Do me a solid.

Uncap magic find?

DGraves.3720

Probabilities are multiplicative so they have an exponential effect. Let’s say the base of an item’s drop is 1%. At 245% of that it’s now 2.45%. Simple. At 1,000% it’s now 10%. The odds between a string of rolls change immensely between the two. You are thinking of the low end, which is normal and expected, because that is where you are. 300% is literally nothing, it’s 3 × 1%, so 3%, bah!

But let’s uncap it, give some rich people or people with gems some serious MF, make it 8 or 10%. It goes from 1/33 odds to 1/10. What if it were 20%? That’s 1/5. You say “That would take an eternity” but there are youtube videos of people maxing out magic find on purpose because they have the funds and the returns are low because the odds are crap.

Anet would have to respond in one of two ways:

1. Do nothing. Economy ruins itself. Elitism does it’s thing. Longevity & Economic Knowledge > General Player.

2. Make crap rarer. Economy sustained. Elitism is kept to a minimum. No one wins because everything is so godawful rare it’s not worthwhile. Prices rise for everything.

It’s the long-term effects, not the short-term, that would be detrimental.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Personally, I’d rather see a menu or bag menu option to “Auto consume all luck” while I’m working my way up to 300%.

Are you referring to the luck stack right click “consume all” feature they added with HOT updates,

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I like this idea. And if need be just create a system with diminishing returns. Maybe increase the requirement by 10K per 10%. Example:

300 – 310 10,000
310 – 320 20,000
320 – 330 30,000
330 – 340 40,000
350 – 360 50,000
400 – 410 100,000
410 – 420 110,000
500 – 510 200,000
510 – 520 210,000
This allows people to continue to progress, acts as a sink for items and essences of luck, and if someone wants to grind they can but it will be costly. Sometimes its about the journey and not the destination.

well from ~215% you already are at 30k luck and it’s capped from there. Maybe they shoud just releas the cap and recalculate. I’d likely lose 10-15% maf, but the PPL at 300 would likely be set back to 260, and levels would rise till rediculous numbers. and end this uselss discussion once and for all.

Attachments:

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

300 – 310 10,000
310 – 320 20,000
320 – 330 30,000
330 – 340 40,000
350 – 360 50,000
400 – 410 100,000
410 – 420 110,000
500 – 510 200,000
510 – 520 210,000

well from ~215% you already are at 30k luck and it’s capped from there. Maybe they shoud just releas the cap and recalculate. I’d likely lose 10-15% maf, but the PPL at 300 would likely be set back to 260, and levels would rise till rediculous numbers. and end this uselss discussion once and for all.

Wasn’t in game at the time to check numbers and a quick wiki hit didn’t cut it. Point is allow it to keep gaining, but vastly increase the number per level or group of levels that makes it not really worth trying to buy your way up but allow people to still work towards something.

And I hear the counter point on the economy, its a good one. But some of that depends on what the drop tables (which we can’t see) are like. Example if we are talking a rare drop is 1%, versus .01% versus .0001%. If it is closer to a full percentage point then can concur. If its more towards the .0001 or lower then not as worried about it. Not to mention, they have the ability to adjust the tables to boot. I have said it before, the more “caps” you have in place the more people reach the end and then say, Huh, I’m done, time to move on.

2 cents.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Uncap magic find?

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Are you referring to the luck stack right click “consume all” feature they added with HOT updates,

No, I use that all the time and it’s great but what I’d like even more is an option for the game to automatically consume any luck that comes out of bags. Just a little QoL feature that would make my day, but I know it’s a pipe dream.

Uncap magic find?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

No, I use that all the time and it’s great but what I’d like even more is an option for the game to automatically consume any luck that comes out of bags. Just a little QoL feature that would make my day, but I know it’s a pipe dream.

The reason they don’t do that is that people stop noticing if they get insta-luck; people need to click something before they ‘remember’ that they are getting stuff. (Case-in-point: spirit shards — those go directly into the wallet now and people don’t even realize how many they get from champ bags and even foe kills.)

Uncap magic find?

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

The reason they don’t do that is that people stop noticing if they get insta-luck; people need to click something before they ‘remember’ that they are getting stuff. (Case-in-point: spirit shards — those go directly into the wallet now and people don’t even realize how many they get from champ bags and even foe kills.)

There’s a number of things we could debate in that premise, but the salient point is this: it hurts nobody to get an auto-consume option. I suspect you’re arguing that players need to see some reward for their actions to feel satisfaction from the game, which is true. Personally, I’d be more satisfied than I am already if the luck just consumed itself and reduced the number of clicks I have to do. If you want, it could even pop up that little indicator at the bottom right, as it currently does when you manually consume it, to let me know that some luck has been consumed. But again, it’s such a tiny QoL I don’t think it’ll ever get implemented.

Uncap magic find?

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

What I see is, everyone said a such changement will not be noticeable. At least for those agree with the idea.

So, why Anet should bother with it, if it’s useless? There are others things better to change/do.

I think the cap is fine, really, for the same reasons mentionned by Illconceived Was Na. (yes, I don’t agree with you all that said it will not change (or barely) anything)

Uncap magic find?

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

What I see is, everyone said a such changement will not be noticeable. At least for those agree with the idea.

So, why Anet should bother with it, if it’s useless? There are others things better to change/do.

I think the cap is fine, really, for the same reasons mentionned by Illconceived Was Na. (yes, I don’t agree with you all that said it will not change (or barely) anything)

I’m not exactly sure what you’re saying.. but if you could do me a solid, please don’t use the “there are other things better to do” argument. It’s just pointless. Argue that it’s not a cost effective idea or that you personally don’t like it. Those are fine. But don’t argue priorities. We all have different ones and no matter what you think is important there’s going to be somebody else who thinks there are “other things better to do”. Do you see how meaningless that argument is? Anyway, my suggestion has derailed this post long enough. Back on topic.

Uncap magic find?

ShoknAwe.1602

They should bother because it would be a simple change, I doubt it would take very long to adjust a few numbers in the MF progression algorithm, and it provides more progression.