Undersupply of Giant Eyes?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SicilianDragon.3071

SicilianDragon.3071

Giant eyes are almost impossible to get, with perhaps a 0.1% reward from heavy moldy bags, and mobs not dropping them. You are as likely to roll a precursor from rares as you are to find a giant eye in a moldy bag.

Theres a massive shortage, with giant eyes now over 7g each, with recipes requiring up to a stack to complete skins, and will continue to climb.

Would anyone else like to see these drop more? Either from improving moldy bag drops to 1% or introducing them as rare drops from Orr giants (veteran +) or other suggestions to address the shortage.

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

They’re adding daily map rewards that will have these as drops. Luckily only 4 recipes needs these and you need a total of 291.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

They’re adding daily map rewards that will have these as drops. Luckily only 4 recipes needs these and you need a total of 291.

Farming 291 eyes yourself without using the TP can easily take 100k hours.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Those frogs in the beta footage have very big eyes…

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

The supply definitely is too low.
But the recipes are not popular so its not that bad.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: Stompy.1387

Stompy.1387

Which is exactly why this game is not designed for you to farm everything yourself. The trading post is there for a reason; to be used.

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

Which is exactly why this game is not designed for you to farm everything yourself. The trading post is there for a reason; to be used.

Yeah, but nobody really wants to spend 1750g on just the eyes for Immobulus.

Enko.6123

I know. I was commenting on what Anet is doing to change things not what’s going on currently since that’s what the OP was discussing.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

The recipes are currently popular enough that they nearly outstrip the supply. It goes up and down, but there are times in which there aren’t enough Giant Eye’s available on the TP for any price to fulfill requirements for the recipes.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Are they unpopular because no one wants those skins are is it because people see the tiny supply and the huge price of the mats and don’t want/can’t afford that?

I’m going to guess it’s the supply and price rather than the skins,

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: AlliedKhajiit.2794

AlliedKhajiit.2794

333 hours per eye farmed?
Yeah just finished checking your math, that seems like a reasonable rate.
I mean at that rate I could have all the items that use giant eyes in 11 years.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It’s not our job to make sure the economy has some sort of of stability, it’s Anet’s.

They should have people fixing the drop rates constantly.

Posted by: chefdiablo.6791

chefdiablo.6791

The drop rate and the price are largely prohibitive for anyone to pursue these skins.

Most people are willing to chase any item if it is affordable to buy, farm, or combination of both.

When all options are well beyond achieving by normal means, then this becomes an issue that Anet should take steps to change. The daily map rewards might help to solve the problem. Most players would like better access to the materials they want and need instead of gold farming in order to acquire them.

Enko.6123

333 hours per eye farmed?
Yeah just finished checking your math, that seems like a reasonable rate.
I mean at that rate I could have all the items that use giant eyes in 11 years.

If you don’t use the TP and farm the heavy moldy bags yourself, yeah it can take that long.

Drop rates for me:
Before drop rate change for blood, claws, fangs:
538092 bags opened. 495 giant eyes
0.09%
After drop rate change:
206,890 bags opened. 214 giant eyes
0.1%

You’ll probably need around 300k heavy moldy bags to get 291.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Today, the recipes are very popular because …what’s left to distinguish players now? 2 years ago, giant eyes were more plentiful because more often folks figured that they’d make a legendary first. Now, some feel that for the effort, it makes more sense to make something that no one else is likely to have.

This will change as soon as we learn more about HoT’s new skins (including perhaps/likely new legendaries) and the acquisition methods.

Plus, as others have stated, ANet is probably going to work on the supply side of things as well.

tl;dr the supply and demand for Giant Eyes will both change soon™, so it’s a temporary issue.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

It’s sad that I’ve never seen Immobulus in the game.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Same here, but it doesnt look any special. It is easy to miss. Plus the princess wand from wintersday looks very similar and much cheaper.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Felix.9170

Felix.9170

I made Eye of Rodgort partly because I really wanted it and partly to see if I had the patience to make a legendary. At that time the eyes cost around 2 gold each. It was quite an undertaking at the time but I am glad I did it. It’s not an often seen skin. At 7 gold each it just would not have happened.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

The intention with Immobulus seems to have been to make something that only a small number of characters can possibly have, making it a true vanity item, albeit less flash than a legendary. I kind of like the idea that this sort of thing exists in the game, but I can understand the perspective of those who think that all weapons should be reasonably obtainable.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Giant eyes are almost impossible to get, with perhaps a 0.1% reward from heavy moldy bags, and mobs not dropping them. You are as likely to roll a precursor from rares as you are to find a giant eye in a moldy bag.

Funny you should say that…. I got a precursor from rares (a year ago) but still never had an eye drop for me….

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

i’d love to have immobulus. but look at the giant eye price, lawl. i’d rather buy another leg.

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

This…I wanted Immobulus because it happened to match well with my mesmer outfit, but 250 Giant Eyes? Not happening…it doesn’t even make sense, the weapon doesn’t even incorporate eyes in its design like Lidless Eye/Eye of Rodgort do.

At that much, it may as well be Ascended automatically…sigh.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

There are “Giant Eyes” in the game, amazing I’ve only played since beta !

Tell me more, where do I get them and what do I do with them…….

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I love my Immobulus and am really proud to have it. It’s harder to get than a legendary at times and just as pricey. It’s just too bad I don’t play mesmer more often.

On the flip side…just as much as I love having Immobulus being very rare and it being a real treat to actually see someone else with it. If they make giant eyes more common so more folks can make one, it won’t hurt my feelings any.