Underwater combat

Underwater combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kaetar.2685

Kaetar.2685

am i the only one who finds underwater fighting dumb? its one of the lamest things ive ever experienced in an MMORPG. i wish there was no reason to go in the water but they put stuff there so unless you want to miss out on skill points and more you have no choice. other then that, love the game

Underwater combat

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m sure you’re not the only one. I’ve seen people saying they dislike it, so the sentiment is out there. I like it myself, but there really isn’t all that much of it overall.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Underwater fighting is great, I really like it. Not just the fighting but the exploring as well.

It also adds variety, if you removed things from a game that adds variety you would end up with a pretty boring game.

That fact you don’t like it, I’m guessing you get your character killed often.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

I detest underwater fighting, there is no depth perception, the weapons are terrible, and movement is horrid. Very little reason to go in the water once you get the skill points you need. I almost forget there is water, cept when I have to swim from point a, to point b in wvw, and lose my golem.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I like underwater combat personally, but you’re definitely not the only one who doesn’t. In fact, I’d say its probably a majority that don’t.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I enjoy it, especially on mesmers. Maybe mouse moving helps underwater motion feel fluid to me; I certainly have no issue with the z axis. And I’m not a huge twitch reflexes situational awareness person.

Underwater combat

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

I don’t do it often, but love it being in game.

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

Underwater combat

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I enjoy underwater combat.
Is there room improvement? Certainly. But its still enjoyable in its own way.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Underwater combat

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

There used to be a underwater pvp board. Did they removed it?

Pineapples

Underwater combat

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

Give me a Dolphin/Shark tonic, then maybe I’ll spend my time in the depths of Tyria’s oceans.

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

Underwater combat

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I love the dynamics of UW combat. What I don’t love is the relatively poor damage coefficients on many of the professions’ UW weapons.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I don’t really hate underwater combat but the underwater weapon skills of thieves are really poor, so I usually avoid it.

Underwater combat

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t really hate underwater combat but the underwater weapon skills of thieves are really poor, so I usually avoid it.

That’s ironic. I was thinking that Thieves actually have the best UW weapons of the 8 professions.

Underwater combat

Jana.6831

That’s ironic. I was thinking that Thieves actually have the best UW weapons of the 8 professions.

Cool, get your thief to some underwater veterans or champs and look how it goes, then try any other profession.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

My mesmer rocks under water, so if I have to run in WvW, that’s where I head. And a LOT of people don’t have a maxed out/properly runed breather, making them weaker in the water. I love having headphones on when I’m under water, too. Makes it a lot more immersive, if you’ll excuse the pun.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Jay.1085

Jay.1085

Underwater is horrid because you lose a lot of your utilities. I am so angry when Im on my guardan and cant use reflects underwater or at least shield of avenger. On my ele my elite skills and aoe utilities are gone. The elite skill i can use underwater is terrible. Dont even get me started on the aggro problem.

If you think underwater is fine talk to me when you are doing map completion in ORR because that sunken ship is a good example why underwater combat is broken and ignored.

Underwater combat

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I read the title as “underwear combat.” I’m leaving disappointed.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Underwater combat

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Its needs a rework, but i love it otherwise. I hope they put some major development into it one day…its been a major request by many on the forums and a core selling point to me

Underwater combat

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

It was mostly a feature used to lure you into the game. Often games would come out with some awesome features on paper but when it comes to playing, it eventually turned out to be a horrible experience. There’s also the fact that it’s harder for our brains to navigate moving in 3D axises in 2D settings. Think of driving a Tank in Battlefield in comparison to flying a Jet.

AION did the same thing with flying, which is getting less meaningful with each patch as maps shift towards land based combat. Flying combat (like swimming) was so broken as melee classes struggled to gap close and many skills disabled. GW2 also have some issues with mechanics functioning underwater, like stomps.

(edited by Akikaze.1307)

Underwater combat

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Cool, get your thief to some underwater veterans or champs and look how it goes, then try any other profession.

Hard to to find an easier way to fight vets/champs than grabbing a thief. Being able to block every single attack and dealing some nice dmg on every counter is pretty OP vs. mob AI.

On topic: I hear a lot of ppl complaining about underwater combat. Reason for most of them is that they constantly lose direction/orientation. Though I’m hardly able to relate to that, I guess it’s just another “casualists” thingy…
The only thing that sometimes really bugs me about underwater combat is the unreliability of big mobs hit boxes. Quite anoying to have a big shark right in front of me and all I stab is water, since its hit box is still 600 units away…

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

I actually quite enjoy underwater combat but two things needs to change:

1) More healing / utility / elite skills need to be useable underwater.
2) We need seperate trait choices for on land and underwater (because several traits don’t do anything underwater or are significantly weaker underwater).

Underwater combat

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

going underwater is awesome. i wish there were secret underwater caves and stuff but yet i like the idea but fighting underwater in this game is boring as hell

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

Underwater combat

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

I just did:

1. wait for enemy to attack
  2. block
  3. counter
  4. auto-attack 2 times
    Repeat until dead. One of the most boring champ-fights I’ve ever had.
Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Underwater combat

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I enjoy underwater combat in small doses. I mostly enjoy the freedom of movement underwater. But some classes, yeesh they have bad underwater weapons. Makes me avoid water as much as possible depending on what character I’m playing.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Underwater combat

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

The problem with underwater combat is that it’s underwater.

Skill-wise and weapon-wise and so on it’s pretty okay,

But it’s underwater – so you have to deal with the feeling of being underwater, which, for a lot of people, is really oppressive and unpleasant (esp. when it’s done really well lol!). You can’t drown but it’s still disturbing for a lot of people.

This is the main reason why it’s disliked, I’d suggest. Some people don’t suffer from this (particularly non-swimmers in my experience, bizarrely), and that’s cool, but a lot of people do.

They went too big on underwater combat in GW2’s initial design, and I understand that they’re scaling it back with HoT, which is smart, I think.

Underwater combat

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

While they have some good single target stuff underwater, its all very high risk. The most powerful class underwater are rangers, then engies, then mesmers, then i think Guardians and Warriors are about even, and then necros and thieves.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Underwater combat

PookieDaWombat.6209

Not gonna lie, while I have some fun in underwater combat, certain areas of the game underwater really creep me out (so kudos to the designers for getting that done so well). Its because that it creeps me out that I always feel a sigh of relief when i get to swim to the surface from really deep. There is that one place (Sparkfly maybe) that has that SUPER deep hole with the undead ship. I HATE that area. Even thinking about it now bugs me out.

All that being said, the biggest problem with water combat is the really horrible downed state.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Underwater combat

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I remember at release this was one thing I was excited for, but since experiencing it I’ve become numb to it. It’s dull, glitchy and annoying. The worst part is when you’re attacking something in a tight space.

Let’s take the personal story instance of “Forewarned is Forearmed”. There’s been so many times that I’ve been stuck in combat purely because something has magically clipped through the wall of solid bricks and it’s invulnerable to every attack I throw at it. And then as if that isn’t enough, Forgal actually decides to slip behind this magical wall of solid brick as well! Boy, I wish I could do that!

If they actually fixed these issues I might actually start to enjoy it, but as it is it’s tedious, torturous and just plain awful.

The other thing I almost forgot to mention was that when swimming in Orr, if you’re immobilised while swimming along the top of the water – you’re screwed. You literally get stuck there with no skills whatsoever, until you become downed, but by that point you may as well start to pick the waypoint to revive at. The only reason I mention Orr specifically was that this happened to me the other day, and am unaware of any enemies in any other areas that can immobilise you while underwater.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

(edited by Miss Lana.5276)

Underwater combat

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I honestly dont like it. i hate exploring any part of the world now underwater. i was super excited for underwater exploration when the game was released and then i got to play the game…and then i noticed that most of the skills i use arent available on quite a few of my classes…

So yea, i dont like underwater combat.i do love exploring underwater just not the combat portion of it.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Underwater combat

Jana.6831

I just did:

1. wait for enemy to attack
  2. block
  3. counter
  4. auto-attack 2 times
    Repeat until dead. One of the most boring champ-fights I’ve ever had.

Did you try it with another class afterwards and was it harder?
I have no idea what mob you were fighting but usually it’s really hard to block in the right moment or: to counterattack with the block as the mobs usually stop attacking until you have used that skill – it works when fighting against multiple mobs otherwise it’s pure gamble and even if you get initative back it burns pretty quickly.

Hard to to find an easier way to fight vets/champs than grabbing a thief. Being able to block every single attack and dealing some nice dmg on every counter is pretty OP vs. mob AI.

Same to you.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I wish there was more reason to go underwater.

I hated it for the first year too. Then I got a bit better at it.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

While they have some good single target stuff underwater, its all very high risk. The most powerful class underwater are rangers, then engies, then mesmers, then i think Guardians and Warriors are about even, and then necros and thieves.

The most powerful is warrior followed by ranger if we count bugged downedstate.

And wasnt thief the one that could evade in underwater for days by pressing one button? Or they reworked this skill already?

Underwater combat

Posted by: EazyPanda.6419

EazyPanda.6419

Random thought of the day*

Gw2 4/5/6th expansion
A few years from now, GW2’s story might focus on the deep sea dragon.
Expansion of Underwaer combat, new maps will be 75% underwater, underwater boss fights, specific underwater professions. Complete overhaul of the underwater combat system, etc.

Hmm, might there be a possibility for this? o.o

Anet logic:
where bashing people over the head with a stick deals more damage than a stab to the heart.
-My D.A. = http://eazypanda.deviantart.com/

Underwater combat

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

I am not a huge fan of underwater stuff, mostly because i find it to slow and lacking damage. the skills do not make real much sense to me. but that is just me, TBH I think there is to little underwater fighting to get to know characters better under water. we spend most of the time on land.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

Random thought of the day*

Gw2 4/5/6th expansion
A few years from now, GW2’s story might focus on the deep sea dragon.
Expansion of Underwaer combat, new maps will be 75% underwater, underwater boss fights, specific underwater professions. Complete overhaul of the underwater combat system, etc.

Hmm, might there be a possibility for this? o.o

It would be very unpopular, history of MMOs shows pretty clearly. Probably they’re too smart for that.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I used to hate underwater combat, but after a while it grew on me and has become something I don’t mind as much anymore when I have to do it.
The fact that it introduces a third dimension to the playing field makes combat a bit more interesting, since your enemies can now spawn and attack from above or below you, not just on a flat plane around you.
There’s an inquest area in the north west of Bloodtide Coast that I died at several times in my early days because I did not adapt to this change in the playing field.
Now, all that aside, underwater combat does need some reworking, but I suspect it is a large project, and Anet may currently have no idea where to go with it at all.
Movement is slowed due to being in water, so making combat faster is not the best answer, otherwise we might as well be wearing wings and flying among the clouds.
One of the things I went through when I started to not hate underwater combat was when I realized that it wasn’t just me doing seemingly less damage, the mobs were as well. At that point I was able to calm down and not panic as much.
These days I rarely do underwater combat unless I’m on my ranger. Much as I love and defend rangers, they also highlight one of the main issues of underwater combat (for me anyway). When I attack something like a mid level champ, or a level 80 vet or such, I just swim into range, hit F1, wait for my pet to get aggro, then just plink away until the target is dead.
The problem isn’t so much that I’m not drawing aggro, or that the target needs to switch aggro to different attackers, but the targets don’t move much once they are in melee range of their target.
A combination of movement and aggro switching would go a long way to change things up a bit. Making the aggro swapping tied to the movement comes across to me as important because it allows ranged weapon users, like Rangers, the room to move around themselves to avoid getting aggro.
That being said, I’m no game wizard and am probably the last person Anet should go to for advice on changing combat mechanics.

Just thoughts.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Underwater combat

Posted by: Ordika.9513

Ordika.9513

For me it depends on the class.

Warrior and Ranger I have a lot of fun. Engineer, Guardian, and Elementalist I hate it.

Ordika Skirata || Keirstaad Rhith || Rhun Turold || Quinten Vigar || Ahrung Park
Swansonites of North Shiverpeak – Northern Shiverpeaks

Underwater combat

IndigoSundown.5419

Heh. It looks like there is some disagreement about which professions do better UW. I suspect these disagreements have to do with build differences as well as inclination differences.

@ Jana

While I have not done a real comparative study, my anecdotal experience is that my Thief, built for initiative and vigor gain, as well as high health regain, easily handles anything I’ve faced UW, and ranks (in ease and time) only below my glass warrior and ranger (and ranger only because of ranging while pet holds aggro). On the other hand, my Mesmer — a profession high on some others’ lists — takes forever to kill anything.

Underwater combat

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I love underwater combat on my necro. I just wish I had more elite options than just Plague.

Underwater combat

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

am i the only one who finds underwater fighting dumb? its one of the lamest things ive ever experienced in an MMORPG. i wish there was no reason to go in the water but they put stuff there so unless you want to miss out on skill points and more you have no choice. other then that, love the game

You’re not the only one. Even ANet thinks they kitten ed it a bit, which is why they removed some underwater from the game (notably in WvW), hardly ever offer underwater weapon skins for new Black Lion sets, and spend almost no time reworking/rebalancing skills/traits for underwater.

I’d like it if it worked as well as terrestrial fighting. To make that happen, they’d need to:

• Enable creation of the underwater build while still on land.
  • Enable auto-trait swapping for underwater (since many skills don’t work underwater).
  • Change the breather to be skin-only, so you don’t have to have a 7th rune or deal with the lack of diversity of ascended or even exotic (or heck even rare or masterwork) options.
  • Rebalance a lot of the skills and traits.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Underwater combat

PookieDaWombat.6209

And wasnt thief the one that could evade in underwater for days by pressing one button? Or they reworked this skill already?

Warrior possibly has the most brute damage underwater, but my guardian can usually nix them real easy. I’ve yet to shutdown a ranger underwater as they have the best damage and pressure, along with a pet that can help raise them from downed usually fast than people can kill them if they even get them down in the first place. Yes, thieves can evade a bunch, but they will melt hard to condi usually and a warriors pure damage output eats them up as well.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Underwater combat

Posted by: none.9681

none.9681

Love it on my Engineer. Autoattack on Grenade Kit? Yes, please!

Underwater combat

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Warrior possibly has the most brute damage underwater, but my guardian can usually nix them real easy. I’ve yet to shutdown a ranger underwater as they have the best damage and pressure, along with a pet that can help raise them from downed usually fast than people can kill them if they even get them down in the first place. Yes, thieves can evade a bunch, but they will melt hard to condi usually and a warriors pure damage output eats them up as well.

I never lost any 1v1 yet on my war underwater and usually i bursted down ranger fast enough before they even could call their bugged pet to rez. I fail to see how weak guardian could take a warrior underwater. Mes downstate is op as well due to confusions on auto. Also i have guard and i feel really weak in underwater with him, next to 0 damage while wearing full zerk set… The imbalance there is real

Underwater combat

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

You have to be kidding me. GW2’s underwater combat is by far one of the best in the genre. Have you ever tried underwater combat in other MMO’s? It’s terrible.

Underwater combat

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

I dislike underwater combat in general. It’s just too slow and clunky and I hate mobs getting stuck in rocks so you can’t do damage but can’t get out of combat either.

Underwater combat

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I love underwater combat. Personally, I like to constant tap the green keep in EBG and swim opposing players around in circles until they have to drag their whole zerg out to kill me.