Unfair GS love! Staves where?!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Anyone that have been playing this game long enough to reach the point where they start collecting looks will know that out of all the weapons, there is an unfair amount of good looking greatswords compared to other weapons, to the point that they even have 2 legendaries (they might not count as one each but still makes them two unique and awesome looking legendaries)

Yet in comparison we only have a few cool staves, as for other weapons I dont know (care), yes, there are some cool staves but they are too few, and even the best of them cannot compare to the ordinary GS skins:

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/07/gw2-greatsword-skin-gallery/

What Im going for; more cool designs, but mostly this: particles. I love glowing stuff, but I dont like how for most stuff when you do get some glowing going, its at the top, tip, very small, barely noticeable. I want full glowing staves, or mostly at least. Look at the molten sword, or the guardian sword, when you swing them around they leave cool particles, one is fire the other one is sci-fi stuff!!! I want more of this, I want to see more particles, after effects, things noticeable. The other one is; details, the amount of details in a GS is astounishing, they have intricated patterns, cool desings….meanwhile, on staves we have a stick, just a plain, old crooked stick.

The reason everyone wants their classes to wear GS is because right now they have the most cool options to go to, which is also Im fighting to have GS on elementalists, they look to good to let them pass. Please give me a chance to say “woah, look at that epic staff, and that one, and that one too, AND THAT OTHER ONE TOO, and the next one too!!” not just “Oh hey, bifrost or nothing…”

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

I’d actually rather they made other weapons more interesting skillwise.. with nearly every class I feel pushed into using a greatsword because it’s one of the best weapons available.

mesmer: staff is nice, but it’s auto attack is a projectile which can be reflected, storm is way better but all in all gs is always a solid choice
warri: 100b is just too strong to ignore, #5 a great traveling skill, #3 an evade with good damage
ranger: only meelee weapon apart from sword, and sword just doesn’t work imho (way to slow activation time for skills which really should be fluid). block, stun, travel skill, relly nice overall.
guardian: question of preference, hammer is quite good as well, but feels a lot less mobile

so yeah, gs has way too many skins compared to other weapons, but it’s also a universally good weapon for every class who can wield it (I don’t say the only choice, but it’s always a good choice).

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

I’d actually rather they made other weapons more interesting skillwise.. with nearly every class I feel pushed into using a greatsword because it’s one of the best weapons available.

mesmer: staff is nice, but it’s auto attack is a projectile which can be reflected, storm is way better but all in all gs is always a solid choice
warri: 100b is just too strong to ignore, #5 a great traveling skill, #3 an evade with good damage
ranger: only meelee weapon apart from sword, and sword just doesn’t work imho (way to slow activation time for skills which really should be fluid). block, stun, travel skill, relly nice overall.
guardian: question of preference, hammer is quite good as well, but feels a lot less mobile

so yeah, gs has way too many skins compared to other weapons, but it’s also a universally good weapon for every class who can wield it (I don’t say the only choice, but it’s always a good choice).

Although i can understand your point, it is not related to the purpose of the thread. This is about discussing the lack of good skins on staves when comparing to other kind of weapons.

I currently have a Necromancer and a Mesmer as my preferred playing characters. In both i use staff as the primary weapon and i got confronted with the problem of choosing a staff. As if it wasn’t already bad that my Necromancer (Harbinger of death kinda look) have to stick with a legendary that springs a rainbow trail from the top, i have to stick with staves skins that are incredibly dull.

There are tridents and spears that resembles staves that could indeed be used as staff skins.

So in the end i have to agree.
Staves needs some love from the incredible art team!

/Cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

Although i can understand your point, it is not related to the purpose of the thread. This is about discussing the lack of good skins on staves when comparing to other kind of weapons.

I currently have a Necromancer and a Mesmer as my preferred playing characters. In both i use staff as the primary weapon and i got confronted with the problem of choosing a staff. As if it wasn’t already bad that my Necromancer (Harbinger of death kinda look) have to stick with a legendary that springs a rainbow trail from the top, i have to stick with staves skins that are incredibly dull.

There are tridents and spears that resembles staves that could indeed be used as staff skins.

/Cheers

guess I should’ve spelled it out a bit more clearly then:
gs is one of the best weapons overall, for most classes it’s at least a viable choice, if not a good one.
this leads to people playing with gs over other weapons.
many people playing with gs leads to a higher demand of good skins for gs.
ANet probably sees the demand and caters to it.

so yeah, I think my point is still relevant. as long as gs are the weapon of choice for so many, it’s only natural skins for them are created. buffing/balancing other weapons would even out demand and, once every weapon was equally often used, it would be logical for ANet to create more skins for the weapons which didn’t get much love artwise so far.

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

I completely agree. There are hardly any non legendary staffs with particle effects for a start and the ones that do have it are very basic. If you are a staff necro, do you really want Bifrost? There is a huge opportunity for some really dramatic and creative staffs. I am so sick of seeing Greatswords everwhere I go.

Some love for staffs PLEASE!

Fortus.6175

/Cheers

dull, yes, thats the word

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Ezeriel.9574

Ezeriel.9574

I must concur that most staff skins are gawd-awful.

…and too many sit too high on the characters backs.

I do like the Krytan Staff, and The Crossing, and if the dredge pillar lit up, it would bee the bees knees…

The only way to play the engineer is to exploit it.
Playing the engineer “as intended” is simply not viable.

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

ummm here is another one! Rifles.. lol

there isn’t any rifles with “vision of the mist”
there isn’t Super Rifle
80% of the skins are unimpressive :]

Fortus.6175

ummm here is another one! Rifles.. lol

there isn’t any rifles with “vision of the mist”
there isn’t Super Rifle
80% of the skins are unimpressive :]

neither do we have a “vision of the mist” version of staves, yet we have focus, scepter and GS…..

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The Vision of the Mists weapons are just player-wieldable versions of the weapons Mesmer phantasms use. There are no Mesmer phantasms that wield staffs, hence no VotM Staff.

As for the general idea that the Greatswords are better than the Staves… I think it comes down to a general design decision. They seem to have decided that the details (and if applicable, particle effects) are going to be applied mostly to the damaging part of the weapon. Blades of swords, the heads of maces / hammers, ect. This decision itself favors blades, because blades make up a large portion of the weapon, compared to other weapons like Hammers or Staffs where you’ve only got the head of the weapon that’s considered the damaging part. This is actually a decision I agree with on the whole (I don’t like seeing flames engulfing the part of the weapon my character is holding) but it does leave a lot more “room” for bigger and cooler effects on bladed weapons which have only a small hilt and a large blade than weapons with a large shaft and small head.

All that said, I’m pretty satisfied with staffs in general, personally. There are probably more GS models I like, but there are plenty of staffs I find quite nice to look at. They could do a bit more work on the staff shafts in the future, though. Not with particle effects preferably, but with other details… look at “The Crossing” for instance, the lamp is on the head, but there’s a webbing pattern that runs down the whole length of the shaft which looks nice and gives the weapon a more interesting look without becomming silly. It might also be nice to up the particle effects on the staff head so that even though its localized only to small portion of the weapon, it looks more impressive in that one spot to compensate (for example, something like the Corrupted Staff could have a larger mist cloud at the top or even shoot out 3 mist clouds in a claw shape).

Also, I tend to notice staffs on other players more than greatswords. I think its because the head of a staff sits at the top of the player (where the greatsword blades run along their back). You can see a staff from any angle, but greatswords only show up from the back.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I do like the Krytan Staff, and The Crossing, and if the dredge pillar lit up, it would bee the bees knees…

OMG yes, the Dredge Pillar needs to light up. I was so disappointed when I saw that it didn’t. How do you make a staff topped with a freaking lamp and not have it light up?

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Greatswords do have more good skins. But I find some of them to be way to over sized and comical. And some of the one hand swords might as well have been Greatswords because of their size.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

The last thing we need is more overlap between trident and staff skins. Kraitkin would make a much better legendary staff than Bifrost ever did, though.

Torches need a lot of love, too, there’s barely any interesting ones at all.

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

We need more and better staffs, but also older ones to be updated with particle effects that match the swords.

I.e. The corrupted staff needs to ‘frost’ off its entire shaft. The new Molten Alliance staff needs to flame up a lot more at the top, if that’s the only place its going to have an effect.

Fortus.6175

We need more and better staffs, but also older ones to be updated with particle effects that match the swords.

I.e. The corrupted staff needs to ‘frost’ off its entire shaft. The new Molten Alliance staff needs to flame up a lot more at the top, if that’s the only place its going to have an effect.

yah man, it is all about the effects, staff feels so ….meh…for the most part

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

They don’t have enough universally enjoyable skins with particle effects that’s forsure. And a lot of the skins I question the point of their existence because, I agree, they are verrrrry dull. Really they should have like a couple basic staves with the dull looks just for ease of obtaining, but then really they should only release skins with an attractive appeal and things you can theme your look after. It’s not like they can’t do it, infact some of the skins are so lazy as if they tried to make them be undesirable. That scythe staff skin is pretty rad, but really only good for a necro flavor.

Bring back celestial and platinum skins!!!! or a wayward staff!

Posted by: Starbird.4029

Starbird.4029

I can just see the update:

“New staff skins added to the store! 10k gems to unlock the chance of dropping!”.

But seriously, Pistols, Staffs and Bows all need better legendaries.

Posted by: Serephen.3420

Serephen.3420

I completely agree. There are hardly any non legendary staffs with particle effects for a start and the ones that do have it are very basic. If you are a staff necro, do you really want Bifrost? There is a huge opportunity for some really dramatic and creative staffs. I am so sick of seeing Greatswords everwhere I go.

Question is…would any class ever want bifrost? (with exception to pink dyed guardian).

One of the ugliest legendaries in my opinion.

For necro however I would suggest Final Rest and two others whose names I forgot :S

Fortus.6175

Question is…would any class ever want bifrost? (with exception to pink dyed guardian).

For necro however I would suggest Final Rest and two others whose names I forgot :S

I find the style not my type, but lets face it, it is probably the best looking staff when it comes to particles.

Now should it be legendary? No, actually I believe the standard staff should be more like Bifrost, (minus the trail and steps), I mean, the whole point of this is making staves aesthetically more appealing, Bifrost is a good start.

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Spendingallmytime.7249

Spendingallmytime.7249

I have a Mesmer and am dyed H2T in pink, but even I hate Bifrost. I’m using the Super Staff, which replaced my Asuran Cultural skin.

Why you bein’ cute?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

staff skin looks ugly since gw1, nothing new here.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.