Unhappy with NPE Changes

Unhappy with NPE Changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Planktonic.8290

Planktonic.8290

You have just made my 6 year old son cry.

He was happily playing until the patch went down, running around chasing his green storyline star raining death on his enemies with his longbow ranger(lvl 6)
He logged back in and started playing then sounded really distressed and came over to me telling me his game was broken, about to cry because he couldn’t find his star and his weapon isn’t working properly because his last skill isn’t unlocked.

So friendly to new players. :<

(edited by Planktonic.8290)

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

He was happily playing until the patch went down, running around chasing his green storyline star raining death on his enemies with his longbow ranger(lvl 6)
He logged back in and started playing then sounded really distressed and came over to me telling me his game was broken, about to cry because he couldn’t find his star and his weapon isn’t working properly because his last skill isn’t unlocked.

Just explain to your son that the metrics indicated that these changes are for the best, I’m sure he will understand.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Clearly he was not intelligent enough to understand the system before, and now that he can understand it he is so happy he has been brought to tears.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

…6 year old son… raining death on his enemies with his longbow…

I don’t think that 6 year old boy should spend his time doing that…

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

lol what’s a 6 year old doing playing computer games, its a sign!

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Maliel.8362

Maliel.8362

This game is clearly rated T

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s time people’s kids learned life isn’t fair … your’s got an early start. Gratz.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Just explain to your son that the metrics indicated that these changes are for the best, I’m sure he will understand.

Or we could explain to the developers that basing aesthetic design entirely on metrics is and has always been incredibly stupid. Do you have any idea how many of our cultures biggest icons and stories would have never been had their creators trusted the metrics of business and science types over their own design sense? Spiderman, Star Wars, and most recently the Harry Potter book series are three of the biggest examples I can think of.

Businessmen and scientists can make up all the formulas they like, they will never successfully calculate what people will find aesthetically pleasing better than an artist. This is just another line on the long list of horrible decisions proving that.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Just tell him that, Anet had to make the EU/NA client just like China, and that this works in China, and that some progress had to be relocked.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

You’ll boy is too young to play a game rated T. Wait 7 more years.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: duckideva.6358

duckideva.6358

If it makes you feel better, my 11 year old quit too. He didn’t cry…cause ya know, 11…he saves that for cruel and evil math homework that I force him to do…but the changes in traits were enough for him to switch to another game.

Since my mains are already 80, and my guildies are quitting, and my family is quitting, and I can’t imaging trying to level and alt now with the spoon fed non trait China game on rails that Anet wants us to play, I’m pretty sure I don’t have much longer in the game either.

Which is sad. I loved this game.

Cruella LaDucki: Have corpses, will travel
Torwynd Trueheart: Here I come to save the day!
NSP – Quak Resident Duchess L’Orange

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

That makes me sad….

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Stop QQing! That’s supposed to help your son understand the game better!

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Your son needs a game that gives him an actual challenge. So it’s probably for the best.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Your son needs a game that gives him an actual challenge. So it’s probably for the best.

HAHAHAH I laughed hard at this. Thank you!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Clearly he was not intelligent enough to understand the system before, and now that he can understand it he is so happy he has been brought to tears.

Or he was too intelligent so he found out stuff on his own without any system to tell him how to do it right.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Yeah, to be honest… i think I’m done here too.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Just tell him “they” tried reinventing the wheel AGAIN.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Lady Celtaine.3760

Lady Celtaine.3760

Fun Fact:

" the average six-year-old child understands more about digital technology than a 45-year-old adult"
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/07/ofcom-children-digital-technology-better-than-adults

The 6 year olds aren’t (officially) allowed to play for another 6 years (Pegi 12) but many 50 + year olds who have no interest in jumping or dodging are. The 6 year old is probably pretty good at dodging and jumping.
Yet for some reason having a max (as opposed to a minimum) age for a game would cause outrage. Nothing against the older player (and this is talking averages here, not individuals)… it’s just a curious thing to think about.

(edited by Lady Celtaine.3760)

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

Fun Fact:

" the average six-year-old child understands more about digital technology than a 45-year-old adult"
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/07/ofcom-children-digital-technology-better-than-adults

The 6 year olds aren’t (officially) allowed to play for another 6 years (Pegi 12) but many 50 + year olds who have no interest in jumping or dodging are. The 6 year old is probably pretty good at dodging and jumping.
Yet for some reason having a max (as opposed to a minimum) age for a game would cause outrage. Nothing against the older player (and this is talking averages here, not individuals)… it’s just a curious thing to think about.

What does this have to do with the ratings? Games aren’t rated by mechanical skill, they’re rated by the content the player is exposed to. And the ESRB and PEGI want parents to be aware of the content presented to people in a game rated T if they choose to give it to children below that rating.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

Since I can’t play the game the first time again, I can’t really provide useful feedback on this topic, but this NPE (New player experience?) didn’t get too much positive feedback from alt creators, and for this I think this should be an one time thing.

On one hand , I understand arenanet why they implemented this: I think they are expecting an influx of new players (free trial if I have to guess), and since in 2 years probably everyone bought the game who wanted to buy it, now they want to bring in those type of people who never played an MMO before, since they found it “overwhelming” ,but with this they made not appriciated changes for those who likes creating alts.

My proposal: Make this NPE an one time thing: Once you created your first character ,got it to lvl 80 (or unlocked everything that comes with this NPE) the next time this player creates a character don’t include these changes, since the system won’t be nearly as overwhelming as it was the first time, or you could make it optional.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This reminds me all too much of the famous NGE (New Game Enhancements) for Star Wars Galaxies. Now, the NPE (New Player Experience) for GW2 is just as bad.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

This reminds me all too much of the famous NGE (New Game Enhancements) for Star Wars Galaxies. Now, the NPE (New Player Experience) for GW2 is just as bad.

Call it the “Noob Player Experience”, so you can shorten it to NoPE.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Call it the “Noob Player Experience”, so you can shorten it to NoPE.

Hah!

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Fun Fact:

I have no idea who ANet interviewed that told them the game was too complicated and that drove them away. It was not this elderly player. I’m not the best player going. Arthritis hinders my finger coordination and age has dulled my reflexes a bit. There’s nothing wrong with my brain, though. Blaming ANet’s “New Game Experience” on older players is just … wildly inaccurate..

Let’s not forget that learning the mechanics of GW2 is not programming or building a computer from components. GW2 is simple stuff, really, and now it’s simple stuff spread out over more leveling time.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I would have done the same thing if I were his age. But then yet if I were his age, my parents wouldn’t have allowed me to play an online game where interactions with strangers are bound to happen. Of course, at his age, I wouldn’t have had full grasp of changes made to the game because I don’t look for the update notes and would have naively played along my merry way.

The point I’m trying to make: at that age, I wouldn’t have been able to handle changes made that was so “sudden” and would have cried about it too. Your child is no different and you should have alerted your child about it earlier. Better yet, you could have prepared your child for the changes if you so absolutely want your child to play a T rated online game.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Osiris.9217

Osiris.9217

First off I think a parent can let their child play whatever game they want if they see fit to let them. That said, I think the major problem here, which even this 6 year old understands, is that this change was ill-conceived not to mention unnecessary. Does anyone else feel like they just created something that treats everyone like idiots? I have 8 80s and purchased my 9th character slot just to try out the patch and see if it was any better. It was a shock to me that within 10 minutes of playing I wanted to log out and uninstall and never return to another A-Net game. The game was simple enough, the mechanics were sound… heck, you guys have had sooo very many accolades claiming you to be the “BEST MMO…” and you were, but now… Long story short, until this atrocity is reversed I think I will enjoy my time and spend my money on a game that is actually worthy of it.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: SStelter.4712

SStelter.4712

I have no idea how gating things that were previously accessible (core mechanics of the game) merits a better experience for your players. All you’ve done is ruin leveling even further with huge stat jumps and gating everything you possible can. Who’s idea was this and why did you allow it to happen?

Notice Us Senpai [SAMA]
All your base are belongg to us [AYB]
Sylvari are people not produce [PETP]

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

Appearantly there were “tens of thousands of usability testers” who gave their feedback and this is the result of that feedback. I think Arenanet went to a handicapped home or something and let those people play it. I really have no other explanation.

I’m really sorry about your son, although it’s hilarious to read because this feature pack sucks so hard when it comes to leveling I guess your son picked up the same kind of emotions all the veterans are feeling :P

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I play regularly with my 7 year old; in the basic low level PvE asura-based stories we’re enjoying, there’s no content I’d consider inappropriate. In fact, it’s even expanded her vocabulary (and my kid’s bilingual by default, and doesn’t come across advanced English every day). In our sessions, my kid has been "educating" me in the tutorial stage: "it’s good to get all 3 weapon skills before you get to the boss." I imagine she’s going to be somewhat unimpressed when we log in today to discover the second skill slot we’d just earned yesterday (which was a small victory for her, she was very proud to have achieved it), was for naught.

For what it’s worth, I won’t let her play all aspects of the game, and she’s not allow map chat or to speak to anyone. We’re in a guild of our own, which she has to rep 100% because Mummy is a draconian tyrant with respect to representation. Doing this, there’s not a whole heap of difference between this and any of the Lego games she’s been hammering for the last couple of years. The only issue is with some of the costumes some of the characters wear: "Mummy, wouldn’t that character be a bit cold?" "Uhh... yeah. Hypothermia incoming for them! Learn from this and always dress appropriately for a cold climate."

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I play regularly with my 7 year old; in the basic low level PvE asura-based stories we’re enjoying, there’s no content I’d consider inappropriate. In fact, it’s even expanded her vocabulary (and my kid’s bilingual by default, and doesn’t come across advanced English every day). In our sessions, my kid has been “educating” me in the tutorial stage: “it’s good to get all 3 weapon skills before you get to the boss.” I imagine she’s going to be somewhat unimpressed when we log in today to discover the second skill slot we’d just earned yesterday (which was a small victory for her, she was very proud to have achieved it), was for naught.

For what it’s worth, I won’t let her play all aspects of the game, and she’s not allow map chat or to speak to anyone. We’re in a guild of our own, which she has to rep 100% because Mummy is a draconian tyrant with respect to representation. Doing this, there’s not a whole heap of difference between this and any of the Lego games she’s been hammering for the last couple of years. The only issue is with some of the costumes some of the characters wear: “Mummy, wouldn’t that character be a bit cold?” “Uhh… yeah. Hypothermia incoming for them! Learn from this and always dress appropriately for a cold climate.”

The last bit made me laugh. Thank you. As to the rest, I hope she gets past the changes and continues to enjoy her time playing with you.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

I play regularly with my 7 year old; in the basic low level PvE asura-based stories we’re enjoying, there’s no content I’d consider inappropriate. In fact, it’s even expanded her vocabulary (and my kid’s bilingual by default, and doesn’t come across advanced English every day). In our sessions, my kid has been “educating” me in the tutorial stage: “it’s good to get all 3 weapon skills before you get to the boss.” I imagine she’s going to be somewhat unimpressed when we log in today to discover the second skill slot we’d just earned yesterday (which was a small victory for her, she was very proud to have achieved it), was for naught.

For what it’s worth, I won’t let her play all aspects of the game, and she’s not allow map chat or to speak to anyone. We’re in a guild of our own, which she has to rep 100% because Mummy is a draconian tyrant with respect to representation. Doing this, there’s not a whole heap of difference between this and any of the Lego games she’s been hammering for the last couple of years. The only issue is with some of the costumes some of the characters wear: “Mummy, wouldn’t that character be a bit cold?” “Uhh… yeah. Hypothermia incoming for them! Learn from this and always dress appropriately for a cold climate.”

I also laughed hard at that last part. I still have to stop myself from shouting at some guildies that they really should give there characters more clothes. A Norn ranger in the most skimpy clothes I can imagine, the poor girl must be very cold.

For the rest of your story I agree that with the proper guidance some parts of this game can be played with younger kids. Particularity the parts were you change to a animal I think are a lot of fun to do with them. Running around as a fern hound makes me happy every time

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

This game is clearly rated T

Rated T, for tough love.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

For what it’s worth, I won’t let her play all aspects of the game, and she’s not allow map chat or to speak to anyone.

This is probably for the best.

All the rest? Awesome. Reminds me of “Millicent Ramsey” . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Lady Celtaine.3760

Lady Celtaine.3760

Fun Fact:

What does this have to do with the ratings? Games aren’t rated by mechanical skill, they’re rated by the content the player is exposed to. And the ESRB and PEGI want parents to be aware of the content presented to people in a game rated T if they choose to give it to children below that rating.

That’s kind of my point, it’s at the parent’s discression what they let their kids play. Heck me and my brother played Resident Evil on the PS1 when we were 7 and 6, and that was rated 15 not pegi 12. Saying a 6 year old shouldn’t be playing GW2 is a pretty weak argument in this context considering a total lack of gore in this game. And the mechanics supposedly got a lot easier so I expect 6 year olds really could play this game not just because the mechanics are super easy but also there isn’t anything scary in it either. Why this game is a pegi 12 I do not know… (swearing in chat? Turn on the profanity filter, mention of ale? no problem all ANET has to do is remove the “drunk” effect and suddenly those drinks are all alcohol free versions) and personally I’m still looking in the settings window for the option to turn on the blood splats and arterial spray.

(edited by Lady Celtaine.3760)

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Drunk effect is tied to post processing iirc just turn it down and it wont show.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Cyvien.8049

Cyvien.8049

imo, 6-year-olds shouldn’t be exposed to video game violence.

I’m a scholar, thus I don’t take stance.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

You may disagree with Arenanet, and think that they are insulting everyone’s intelligence now, but the fact is that you are just too stupid to see Arenanet’s visionary greatness! You’re children’s children’s children will marvel in amazement at the fact that Arenanet was such a trailblazer, creating the height of art and entertainment (see attached image).

Maybe if you knew a bit more about the video game industry, you would know about Star Wars Galaxy, and how successful their NGE patch was where they told their existing playerbase to kitten off in favour of trying to attract a new playerbase! Everyone knows how successful SWG was because of that.

How dare you disagree with Arenenat! Enjoy your forum ban :^)

All hail Arenanet.

Attachments:

(edited by Surbrus.6942)

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

It’s up to the parent what they let their kid watch/play. Besides, there’s nothing that violent in Gw2 that a 6 year old would be bothered by. Commercials and the news are far worse. I was playing Monkey Island 1 and 2 at age 5, and that game had more questionable content than this one.

With all the changes, it seems like Anet is looking to cater to the younger, below 5 years old crowd anyway.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

The NPE is enough that I’ll never buy another character slot.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Anecdotal this may be, but it is one drop in a moderately filled bucket that clearly dumps onArenaNet the fact they most likely had too many playtesters who had preconceptions about how MMOs should work, leading them to cater far too much to traditional MMO fans.

Why do I get the feeling that half of their playtesters were probably in China where MMO originality simply does not exist?

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Cactus Brawler.7415

Anecdotal this may be, but it is one drop in a moderately filled bucket that clearly dumps onArenaNet the fact they most likely had too many playtesters who had preconceptions about how MMOs should work, leading them to cater far too much to traditional MMO fans.

Why do I get the feeling that half of their playtesters were probably in China where MMO originality simply does not exist?

You actually think they playtested this and didn’t just port the China coding over?

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: lordkabal.4857

lordkabal.4857

This is on the same level of crazy as the NGE was for Star Wars Galaxies… and we all know how well THAT worked out…

Killer Instinct [KI]
Ferguson’s Crossing

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

You actually think they playtested this and didn’t just port the China coding over?

There’s legitimate posts on reddit from Arena Net staff about that.

Can we cut out the childish mockery and focus on the valid points that will get devs to take us seriously?

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Cactus Brawler.7415

Can we cut out the childish mockery and focus on the valid points that will get devs to take us seriously?

If they were taking us seriously they’d have a public test realm.

And they wouldn’t post on Reddit, that marvelous location of free speech ~_~

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Yes, because posting on their own forums and getting mocked here is much better than being mocked there.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Cactus Brawler.7415

Yes, because posting on their own forums and getting mocked here is much better than being mocked there.

They wouldn’t be getting mocked if they didn’t release a patch with more bugs than a entomology laboratory.

They’ve tossed us a patch, a patch that contains such wonders as not being able to join friends unless you have a VIP item that they swore would never ‘ever’ come to the Western version of the game.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Tobias Trueflight.8350

They wouldn’t be getting mocked if they didn’t release a patch with more bugs than a entomology laboratory.

Have you worked in one of those? I don’t think that’s actually possible.

They’ve tossed us a patch, a patch that contains such wonders as not being able to join friends unless you have a VIP item that they swore would never ‘ever’ come to the Western version of the game.

Yeah, I’m going to need proof. Like . . . now.

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Cactus Brawler.7415

Have you worked in one of those? I don’t think that’s actually possible.

Yeah, I’m going to need proof. Like . . . now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/SO-I-CANNOT-join-my-friend-in-a-zone-now/first#post4393656

A ‘Bug’ that is stopping a player joining the same map as their wife for Tequatil because he doesn’t have the VIP teleport/join friend item.

With a red post to say ‘its totes a bug for reals, not intended really honest’

Unhappy with NPE Changes

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

This was datamined and confirmed to be inaccurate. But yeah patch was buggy, but with the bug fixes i think this will be a decent patch, minus the leveling thing of course.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”